Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
J.Balle Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Secunia Official 30th Mar, 2012 14:41
Ranking: 10
User Since: 25th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 30th Mar, 2012 14:45

Hi

Thanks for all of the great feedback that you have sent in or posted during the past few weeks. It helps us to raise the bar and keep improving the Secunia PSI.

With the Secunia PSI 3 we wanted to get back to basics, and thus we created the Secunia PSI 3 without advanced options and with limited details. The goal was to make the Secunia PSI 3 as simple and usable as possible, particularly with non-technical users in mind.

We strongly believe that this approach is the right one. That said, there is no doubt that a lot of valid points have been raised regarding some essential options and features that are currently missing.

As of Today we are releasing the Secunia PSI 3 Beta 2, now ready for your testing. The new Beta 2 (re)introduces the following features:
* Result view now shows all detected programs
* Detailed view of detected programs (versions, installation paths, and ability to open its folder)
* Setting to enable/disable "Auto Updates"
* Setting to enable/disable "Start on Boot"
* Suggest software
* Slightly tweaked design
* Secunia System Score
* Various bug fixes

It may be downloaded from the usual location:
http://secunia.com/psi_30_beta_launch/

Beta 2 is the next step towards the final Secunia PSI 3. We are already working on Beta 3, as a teaser we can inform you that we are aiming to include the following features with Beta 3:
* Secunia Profile / Community Forum Integration
* Event log (updates installed and scan conducted)
* Ignore Rules
* Selection of drives to scan
* Secunia CSI Integration

Please keep posting your feedback. We are always grateful for your input.

Stay Secure

Jakob

Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2012 17:48
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

I have installed the Beta s version 3.0.0.0006 and first impressions are good . I allowed the installer to remove 2.0.0.3003 and load the Beta ; i did close the tray icon first , but I doubt that matters .

Some points :-

1)It is good to be able to deselect autoupdating during the install , otherwise the "settings" icon bottom lhs of the first display window is easy to miss when confronted by the rest of the display .

2)At last the tray icon is visiblein the XP Windows default blue of the bottom tray . Un fortunately the scan results page has the programme's name displayed in a dinky pale grey beneath the vivid green of "Updated" . I need the name in black bold font , please .

3)The programme's right click menu ->select language ->splash window is fine , but it's use is non-intuitive .

If you select your language , say in Firefox , I personally was faced with Afrikaans as the default :ie: first on the list . I chose English (US) from the drop down - there is/was no English(GB) option - and moused "select language" ; the PSI then appeared to either run an installer (definitely not desireable) or recheck the "patchedness" of my Firefox programme , it being up to date nothing further happened . There is no [x] to exit the splash window but the "cancel" button does exit and if you return "your" chosen language is still there .

4)The "Help" -> how to use PDF suggests that any manual download error reports , etc should be mailed to supprt@secunia.com ; this , plus the fact that the detected instance pathway in the splash window does not highlight for copy/paste , seems to indicate a bigger role for Support versus the Forum . If this is the case , will you be bolstering the numbers involved at the SEcunia end and speeding up the response time :)) ?? Can I book my Summer hols ?? ;))

Will get back later .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Mar, 2012 00:32

Hello again ,

On a specific point , as Secunia wish to lead the way in getting everyone's software up to date and "safe" for browsing then I believe "education" of the newcomer and the lazy is also important . All the information provided in the "secure browsing" module of PSI 2.x is/should be part of that learning process . It being specified as for "Advanced" users in a separate module in 2.x has meant little confusion being voiced on the Forum .

Secunia have repeatedly refused - for unspecified commercial reasons - to list ALL software that is as "fully" patched as you can get but with "no soltion" vulnerabilities extant .

Fair enuff , but stating that a Browser is "fully up to date/patched/green tick" when itself or some of it's add-ons are still vulnerable needs to be corrected at some stage of the learning process ; at least by explaining the "secure browsing" rules of engagement (as in the 2.x module) and preferably giving access (somewhere) to a list of commonly exposed add-ons/extensions/plug-ins :eg: Flash or Java , and their status .

Nothing is 100% sure (except death and taxes) but don't let that be the implied status of the browser either .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
genegold99 RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 31st Mar, 2012 21:33
Score: 5
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
Just installed Beta 2 and appreciate ability to disable auto install and to see details. First impression: please make the list of scanned programs formattable - icons, list, etc. A screen and a half of icons does not work for some of us who find it much easier to read or quickly scan lists.

Second impression: an item rescan option would be helpful.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 1st Apr, 2012 00:53
Thank you for adding the ability to see the list of installed programs.

However, an option to show List View with detailed information regarding file location(s), rather than icons, would be appreciated.

Also, an option to run the vulnerability/update check manually should be included. I prefer to choose when an application makes an Internet connection.

If the only 'improvement' is to re-do the User Interface, I will stay with 2.0, where I have control and a more flexible and informative interface.

Uninstalled and awaiting the next BETA.

Regards
Was this reply relevant?
+4
FrankieBoy RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 1st Apr, 2012 08:22
Score: 3
User Since: 1st Apr 2012
I've appreciated PSI for 2 or 3 years. Thank you.

Perhaps PSI 3 should be named "PSI Lite"; the interface is way too stripped-down for this user.

It might be fine for PSI to default to large icons for entry-level users who crave simplicity, but power-users need the option to see a list with columns and such.

I'm stunned at how PSI's UI has been "dumbed down."

Please give something back to us skilled users who need to get under the hood (bonnet). We're the folks who get PSI onto other folk's machines.

The kind of user who appreciates a UI so simple is likely to be the kind of user who's oblivious to the need for security, much less updating !

--
Frank in Lubbock, Texas, USA
Was this reply relevant?
+5

Anthony Wells

RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 1st Apr, 2012 17:27
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2012 17:28
on 1st Apr, 2012 16:05, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hello Arctucas ,

I am not an apologist for either Secunia or the PSI , but I don't see your problem :-

1)The GUI is for all users and big icons are good for my eyes although as they are not all represented I would like the programme's name in black bold rather than a whiter shade of pale .

2)As a "power" user right click the icon and select "show details" and you get the installation path and the option to open the file location .

3)Your weekly "auto" scan problem is no different to that in the PSI version 2.x :ie: do not load on boot and when you load select "Scan Again" bottom lhs of the GUI ; the date of the last scan is in the GUI , so add seven days to get to the next one.

<SNIP>

RE: 1) I am not 'all users'. To be frank, it appears Secunia is attempting to imitate the tiles of Microsoft's ill-begotten Metro UI.

RE: 2) I would prefer the List View, thank you.

RE: 3) I was referring, actually, to PSI version 3.0 automatically starting a scan as soon as it is opened. Consider that perhaps I do not want to run a scan, but merely want to see what PSI reports as being installed. I have set the Secunia service to manual, so that the automatic seven-day scan does not run. And, I usually check every two to four days manually anyway.

If Secunia changes the way PSI appears and functions, I will simply stay with an older version that works the way I prefer. If it becomes obsolete, so be it, I will look for another solution, or merely do manual checks for every application I have installed.

Regards
Was this reply relevant?
+3

FrankieBoy

[+]
Nergali RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 1st Apr, 2012 20:09
Score: 19
User Since: 23rd Aug 2010
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2012 20:19
To the Above poster, Anthony is a respected member, and you are posting in a forum, forums mean everyone replies to everyone.

Back to topic: 3b2 is a step (a baby one) in the correct direction. instead of reiterating much of what I've stated in other threads I'd like to say that
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/nergaljaf...
the contact support and red exclamation point depicted in the image above are confusing for me and would e especially so for "grandmothers"
My guess is that they are hold overs from auto-update not being optional but I'm pretty sure they oughtn't stay.

If simplifying is the name of the game here, i shouldn't have to read a manual (most people especially those who want simple don't) (please note I did read the manual)

In the Change log I'm VERY glad to see all of the items that are coming
(unknown source)
Beta 2 is the next step toward the final Secunia PSI 3. We are already working on Beta 3, as a teaser we can inform you that we are aiming to include the following features with Beta 3:
* Secunia Profile / Community Forum Integration
* Event log (updates installed and scan conducted)
* Ignore Rules
* Selection of drives to scan

I'm also VERY glad to see all version on a PC are listed as can be seen
I'll have to see how it handles when one is updated and the others aren't.I assume Like 2.x I'll have to view details to see that at least one isn't updated, so seeing # of instances would be important.

Thanks as always to the development team for being good listeners and taking our constructive criticisms as that, constructive.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
puget1 RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 1st Apr, 2012 22:35
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
@j. Baille

Bye Jove, I think you are on the right path. With tweaks from the rest of the forum you are going to get there. Sorry, for second guessing you all at Secunia.. My main concern has been addressed. Pacific coast U.S. 1200 hrs it took about 3(three) minutes to access Secunia servers and run and complete scan both for Vista and Xp pc's. The mirrors have been tweaked . The progress should be interesting. If any have problems (don't forget to allow through your firewalls.) will try for a few weeks. Maybe,again a simple/advanced mode to satisfy the more advanced. Attempting to "stay secure" Thanks puget 1

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+1
ParzivalRM RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 2nd Apr, 2012 12:37
Score: 13
User Since: 15th May 2010
Unfortunately the release of Version 3 Beta 2 seems to be extending some of the confusion caused by the Beta 1 release. Beta 1 was so comprehensively condemned that there seems to be little point in releasing a Beta 2 when only half the intended changes have been implemented and the other half remain "good intentions".

It's a pity that Secunia did not wait until they had a beta version that addressed fully, not halfway, the huge volume and variety of posted criticisms. Having been very disappointed with Beta 1, I will not be installing the incomplete Beta 2 for testing --- the inevitable result would again be the uninstall of the Beta and the reinstall of Version 2.

In the initial post of this thread, Secunia has requested feedback. The only reasonable feedback one can give at this stage is:
"Thank you for listening to your users. Please continue to re-engineer into Version 3 *ALL* the excellent functionality and flexible options that are so widely respected and appreciated in Version 2."
Once this has been completed, we can constructively test the resulting Beta and comment on its finer details.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 2nd Apr, 2012 18:11
on 2nd Apr, 2012 12:37, ParzivalRM wrote:

It's a pity that Secunia did not wait until they had a beta version that addressed fully, not halfway, the huge volume and variety of posted criticisms. Having been very disappointed with Beta 1, I will not be installing the incomplete Beta 2 for testing --- the inevitable result would again be the uninstall of the Beta and the reinstall of Version 2.

I have to disagree, as a security app I'm really glad Secunia Alpha's their GUI's with us. It's a Beta of the backend sure, but the GUI is our domain as users and thus I've always (from the release of PSI2 Beta1 ) appreciated This method of GUI construction, even if I've not always agreed with the direction. . . and Honestly I hated 2.x when they first released it (partially because I couldn't use it portably anymore but lots of the GUI too) and now I couldn't imagine going back to 1.x . . . However I, also, can't imagine going back to 2.x Beta 1. Secunia did listen to many of our suggestions then, and I'm sure that they will now too.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Handling Contributor 3rd Apr, 2012 09:59
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Transferred unanswered thread.

Thread Header: Will PSI 3.0 support Mac OSX 10.7 Lion?

28th Mar, 2012 05:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Mar, 2012

I tried to join other thread but it was locked for a PSI for Mac OSX.
we are waiting for a MAC version of PSI. currently use OSI.
--
George Zerdian
Retired FAA, NASA Scientist

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
erix53 RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 14:31
Score: 18
User Since: 30th Mar 2012
I have a number of considerations on beta 2, so I'll split them to avoid a jumbo message.

First of all, a strange thing seems to happen on this XP SP3 machine: up-to-date programs have a red exclamation point and a "contact support" link, exactly as programs that need updating.
I thought this could depend on being logged as limited user, but it does the same thing if logged as administrator.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15306409/PSI3b2.png

If I click on either type of icon or link (up-to-date or not) I get this cryptic information:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15306409/PSI3b2dialog.png

I find this text misleading in many ways: why "update failed"? What update? I just clicked "Contact support", so I'm not expecting it to update or download anything. Second, did it fail because I disabled automatic updates? (seems unlikely) If not, is there any hint about what was tried, what went wrong and how to correct the problem? Third, it sound slightly absurd to have to give an email address to know what the problem is; especially because, as noted above, the program claims to have done something I didn't ask it to do.

If somebody familiar with the technical side of computers is puzzled, I can only imagine what a non-technical user may thing.
Clarity of language is paramount when communicating information to users (more on this point later).

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 14:37
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2012 14:37
In the installer, the choice:
"check the following box to install updates automatically"

Since I am installing PSI, I would probably guess that this refers to automatic updates of PSI itself, not automatic updates of installed applications. Having followed these forums I guess the latter is the correct interpretation, but I'm still not 100% sure.

I think it should say something like:
"check the following box to automatically install updates for vulnerable applications"

(assuming my interpretation is correct)
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 14:52
In "Show details" I'm unable to find an important piece of information: the version number of the patched application that would be installed.

This could be relevant, for example, when an application has two or more supported versions, or where the user would prefer to avoid a major number change for compatibility or interface problems, or in the opposite case where the user would prefer to leave the old version and switch to the new one.

The user should at least be informed of what PSI suggests or is about to do. Non-technical users are not dumber than computer experts and it's a mistake to treat them like children: it's a question of explaining things correctly but in plain, non-gergal language.

I have a long experience in successful courseware design: speaking the listener's language is the key, not dumbing down things; the latter just reinforces the problem.
This point seems to apply to most of the current state of interface; I can only suggest extensive tests with real 'average' users (with recording and without interfering or helping them in any way).
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 15:06
A few notes on the interface:

The red color seems to be used extensively, even where not warranted (e.g. a red icon for "Need help").
This risks having a "cry wolf" effect where a real problem could go unnoticed because the user is accustomed t seeing red everywhere on the interface.

Red should only mean "serious problem that needs immediate correction" and be used accordingly, as in 2.0 whose interface language and color language seemed to have been more carefully thought out.

For the same reason, a heavy blood-colored icon in the system tray is probably not a good idea (btw, it also appears to scale down badly).

I don't know if it's only because of the problem I reported in my first message above (all applications red), but my system tray icon says "You have programs that require manual updates". Since there is only one program that needs updating and the system score is 99% I'd expect a yellow icon, or some other sort of indication of the system score.
I may have applications that for some reasons I won't or can't update (e.g. ImageMagick cannot be updated because of a version number problem) and I'd like to be informed visually if some other (potentially more risky) application needs updating.

For example, a dial (or similar) visually going to 90% to 100%, or a number of red lines, would be more informative.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 15:11
Another interface point: the (red, in my case) exclamation point in the upper left corner does not seem to be clickable.

This leads the user to think::
why are you shouting "bad!" at me and don't tell me anything?
are you telling me that "99%" is really bad?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 15:25
And lastly...

Many users don't try to solve their problems themselves, they just call somebody who's their (formal or informal) expert.

Even if you prefer to keep the current toy-like interface, please add an expert mode for those experts, who'll really appreciate more information than is currently given.
The 2.0 interface would be fine, barring that at least a list view or much smaller icons, more details (version number patching vulnerabilities) and a reference to applicable advisories.

That'll save us 'experts' a lot of time when users come to us, either because they don't want to update automatically... or because of a problem caused by an automatic update.

P.S. I don't see end-of-life applications anymore. Is that a choice? It's probably OK not to give an alert, but seeing them could be useful, e.g. to find fossil duplicates that could pose actual security risks.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 15:28
Oh, and a logfile will be invaluable if (when) something goes wrong.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
libove PSI3b2 Over-aggressive "detection" of "installed" programs?
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 17:19
Score: 31
User Since: 12th Feb 2008
I installed PSI3b2 yesterday on an XPSP3 machine which had been half-cleaned by some kind of cleaner program. A variety of programs had been (partially) uninstalled; they definitely didn't show up in the Add/Remote Programs list, and their C:\Program Files\ directories had been completely removed.

PSI3b2 nonetheless found remnants (perhaps something had been left behind in Common Files, almost certainly in the Registry) -- *and promptly downloaded and installed the current versions*. That's a bit too aggressive.

Although clearly PSI3 is intended to simplify things, it is a very bad practice to install something which the user had tried to uninstall. PSI needs to be more nuanced; if a program is not mostly-there (I agree, that's a very hard definition to make), then PSI needs to prompt the user whether they want a program, rather than/ before just installing the updated version of it. A few remaining pieces of a program which no longer exists in its principal executable is likely to be less of a problem than adding programs that the user doesn't want. And of course anything which surprises the user (hey! I uninstalled QuickTime! <- yes, QuickTime was one of the programs which PSI3b2 added to the system where it had been almost completely removed before -> Why is it here again?!?!) is a Bad Thing.

I also second the comments that the new interface is too simple. Even if it is off by default and somewhat hidden to avoid confusing basic users, PSI really does need to retain the advanced features which version 2 had.

And, lest anyone forget, THANK YOU Secunia for donating this tool, which I leave behind me on every non-corporate computer I ever touch, and which helps make everyone more secure all across the Internet!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
libove PSI3b2 Needs List display
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 17:20
The tiles-only display may be Microsoft Windows 8 Cool, but it's very hard on my eyes/brain.
I'm a List mode kind of guy. The 131 installed programs which PSI3b2 finds on my system are MUCH more easily seen in the PSI v2 style List display than in a Tiles display.
Please, bring back List as a display option!
Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
libove PSI3b2 Still has same multi-user fault as PSI2, multiple inconsistent scan histories kept
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 17:36
PSI3b2 has the same fault on multi-user systems which use User Account Control as PSIv2 did:

I was logged on as "me" ("USER1") - a non-privileged user which requires UAC elevation to make changes to the system. I ran the PSI3b2 installer, answered the UAC elevation prompt with .\ADMINISTRATOR and the local administrator account's password, completed the installation, and at the end clicked to start PSI. I ran a scan, it completed.

Then I exited the PSI user interface (close the open PSI window, then also right-click on the tray icon and close the tray icon) and ran it again (Start menu, PSI). It asked for elevation .. and showed a system on which PSI had never run a scan.

I created a new blank non-privileged user ("USERFOO"), logged in as that user, ran PSI from the Start menu, answered the UAC elevation prompt with the same .\ADMINISTRATOR ... and this time it showed me the completed scan results from when I first ran PSI after installing it elevated.

State is not shared - to some degree each user's own user space keeps its own (potentially inconsistent) scan results, etc. It's not literally "every user", but there is some kind of difference on where the scan results are stored, depending on exactly how a user runs the PSI interface, what privileges the user has, and whether/how they UAC elevate.

The scan results should be kept by the PSI Agent, NOT in any individual user's space, and all users who have the sufficient privileges (regardless whether native or through UAC elevation) should always see the one single (and therefore necessarily consistent) scan results.

n.b. This is on Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, SP1, all patches applied. It is a Domain attached machine; the "USER1" example about is a domain\user; all of the other user identities (the local .\ADMINISTRATOR, and the new local blank USERFOO, are local accounts).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
libove RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 17:37
Hm. Thinking about this a bit more, some of what controls whether a common or a user-unique set of scan results are accessed, may depend on whether the user runs the PSI Tray program or the PSI program. In the Start menu, I see both "Secunia PSI" (marked with a UAC elevation icon) and "Secunia PSI Tray" (not marked with a UAC elevation icon).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 17:54
libove,
thanks for pointing this out! I hadn't noticed the different behavior.

In XP it's even stranger. I installed running the installer as administrator from a limited user account and I get:

- from the systray icon: starts up without asking anything.
- from the start menu: says it needs to be administrator to start.

That's in contrast with 2.0 where I usually launched it from the systray as limited user and it asked for administrator's credentials.
(I don't know if I ever launched it from the Start menu)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 18:02
Speaking of ambiguities in the interface...

Looking at the LCD monitor from a different angle, the exclamation point icons (that I see as all red) could perhaps be a very dark orange (hard to tell).

At one end their color is (205, 38, 39) i.e. definitely red, at the other (241, 103, 54) i.e. somewhere between red and yellow. No idea what should be the intended perceived color (red or orange).
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Anthony Wells

[+]
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 18:59
on 3rd Apr, 2012 18:45, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hello @erix53 ,
Re your first post , if you look in the user manual , pages 4,5 and 6 , you will see what the results display should look like :ie: patched programmes have a green tick and patched in vivid green . Are you sure you have the latest Beta 2 ?? Mine (3.0.0.0006) on XP SP3 is set to run on boot and not "auto-update" and I am 100% so do not see any of the red ! etc .

I confirm that my screenshot was taken, after scan, from 3.0.0.0006 on XP SP3 (Home), installed by running the installer as administrator from a limited user account and started from the systray icon.
(same results when starting PSI as administrator)

P.S. Where do I get the manual from?

P.P.S. Alas, I'm very far from 20+/20+ vision, but the only Secunia-related thing I have trouble reading with my progressive lenses is the small font of this forum :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Spiff RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 19:10
Score: 13
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
on 3rd Apr, 2012 18:59, erix53 wrote:

P.S. Where do I get the manual from?

You can find the Secunia PSI 3.0 Beta 2 Release User Guide here:
http://secunia.com/resources/product_sheets/
Choose "Secunia PSI 3.0 (Beta) - Technical User Guide"

Best regards,
Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 19:11
on 3rd Apr, 2012 18:45, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hello @erix53 ,
<SNIP> Also , unlike @Arctucas posted (higher up) my PSI does not scan on (every) boot or load .<SNIP>

Anthony

Having re-read my post, it appears I was not exactly clear; I meant to say that PSI3 runs an update check as soon as it is run after being installed (first run).

I do not know if it actually runs a check when opened, because as soon as I witnessed that behavior, I uninstalled it due it it making an internet connection without my express permission.

And I never allow any version of PSI, or any other 'updating' or other software that makes an internet connection automatically, to run at boot.

I am quite capable of checking for updates, and any application that attempts to make an internet connection without asking for permission, or has the option to disable such connections, is suspect in my opinion.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 19:12
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2012 19:12
This is weird:

If I perform a scan (either as limited user or administrator) and I scroll down after the icons have been updated, I see green icons... and then they are overwritten in red.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 19:16
Another point: I noticed that towards the beginning of a scan it says "Scanning for outdated programs".

I had two end-of life applications reported by 2.0 and I marked them as exceptions (I needed them and the security risk was negligible).

With 3.0b2 I see none. Does it mean that the scanner is using my old (inaccessible from the interface) exception list, or is there a change in meaning from "end-of-life" to "outdated"?
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 3rd Apr, 2012 19:21
on 1st Apr, 2012 17:27, wrote:
<SNIP>

RE: 1) I am not 'all users'. To be frank, it appears Secunia is attempting to imitate the tiles of Microsoft's ill-begotten Metro UI.

RE: 2) I would prefer the List View, thank you.

RE: 3) I was referring, actually, to PSI version 3.0 automatically starting a scan as soon as it is opened. Consider that perhaps I do not want to run a scan, but merely want to see what PSI reports as being installed. I have set the Secunia service to manual, so that the automatic seven-day scan does not run. And, I usually check every two to four days manually anyway.

If Secunia changes the way PSI appears and functions, I will simply stay with an older version that works the way I prefer. If it becomes obsolete, so be it, I will look for another solution, or merely do manual checks for every application I have installed.

Regards

I would appreciate the two people who gave this post negative votes to come forth and explain their reasoning, unless you are afraid...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Apr, 2012 21:45
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2012 21:49
Hello again erix ,

The manual can be found using the "danger" red "Need help ? " icon (bottom rhs of first page of the PSI Beta) and following the suggestions .

I saw someone else post about the red ! + contact secunia problem ; it would seem to be a "bug" , so you would best make direct contact by mail to support@secunia.com.

@Arctucas ,

When I installed the Beta having deselected "auto-updating" , it told me that I needed a scan and waited for my confirmation to run . However you start/launch the PSI , the psia.exe will immediately connect to the servers via the embedded IE engine and checks/loads your LAST scan details to the GUI , that's how it is , that's why I got the message . Perhaps you consider that an unauthorised internet connection ??

I have never worked out the rationale of voting , but in an open Forum everyone is entitled to log in and vote , again , that's how it is .

Personally , I never vote with the occasional exception . You are not on that list nor likely to be .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Apr, 2012 01:17
on 3rd Apr, 2012 21:45, Anthony Wells wrote:

<SNIP>

@Arctucas ,

When I installed the Beta having deselected "auto-updating" , it told me that I needed a scan and waited for my confirmation to run . However you start/launch the PSI , the psia.exe will immediately connect to the servers via the embedded IE engine and checks/loads your LAST scan details to the GUI , that's how it is , that's why I got the message . Perhaps you consider that an unauthorised internet connection ??

Look at these screenshots:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/Arctucas/...

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/Arctucas/...

Do you notice a difference regarding the information provided?

I have never worked out the rationale of voting , but in an open Forum everyone is entitled to log in and vote , again , that's how it is .

Personally , I never vote with the occasional exception . You are not on that list nor likely to be .

Take care

Anthony

I never said, nor even suggested that you had voted.

Why are you making that comment?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lolawilcoxx RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 4th Apr, 2012 01:53
Score: 1
User Since: 4th Apr 2012
Installed Beta 2 already! Works great!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ednovak1 RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 4th Apr, 2012 03:14
Score: 3
User Since: 4th Apr 2012
I reverted to V2.0 after the Beta1 of V3.0 lacked the information I needed to manually correct an update problem that Secunia's automatic update function failed on. Just loaded Beta2 of V3 and it's still overly simplistic. I understand that, like W8, most software has to be "dumbed down" for the generation that USES software but UNDERSTANDS nearly nothing about how it functions. However, like W8, you need to leave a back door for those of us who qualify as "power users" if not IT experts so that we can troubleshoot problems beyond "it failed".
Please consider creating an "expert" mode supporting most if not all of the functions that were available in V2. The current V3 Beta2 still lacks the information needed to be really useful to those of us who might actually be able to correct things using IT knowledge and tools.
Regards (and thanks for many years of support for a truly valuable product.)
Ed
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 4th Apr, 2012 09:32

I saw someone else post about the red ! + contact secunia problem ; it would seem to be a "bug" , so you would best make direct contact by mail to support@secunia.com.

Er... do you mean reporting bugs (at least 3 in my previous postings) here is not enough? I thought somebody at Secunia is reading these posts, or else what's the point of having a beta forum?

I did testing in a collaborative spirit and to thank Secunia for the free PSI (even I'm not currently interested in the 3.0) but my time is limited and reporting things twice and following two chains of answers looks like a 'suboptimal' use of it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Apr, 2012 09:41
Hi,

Thank you for providing us with feedback on this latest Beta release.

We will consider your comments and concerns and include them in our development process.

on 30th Mar, 2012 17:48, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi ,
3)The programme's right click menu ->select language ->splash window is fine , but it's use is non-intuitive .

I quite agree with this assesment and I will include this with other suggestions for improving usability.

However, one should keep in mind that with the new Secunia PSI and the new approach to packaging we hope to eliminate many of the issues that once required long-wound troubleshooting. Our goal is, as always, to eliminate the need for support entirely, however unlikely. Advanced users would eventually figure out you need to right-click the icon to get advanced options and "hiding" the advanced features slightly may reduse the clutter in the interface (Thus making the program easy to use for non-techies while still preserving the absolutely necessary advanced features that gives the PSI its power).

Furthermore, the Secunia PSI would insist you choose a language before proceeding with an automatic installation so I don't think it would be a problem for the end-users.

on 30th Mar, 2012 17:48, Anthony Wells wrote:

If you select your language , say in Firefox , I personally was faced with Afrikaans as the default :ie: first on the list . I chose English (US) from the drop down - there is/was no English(GB) option - and moused "select language" ; the PSI then appeared to either run an installer (definitely not desireable) or recheck the "patchedness" of my Firefox programme , it being up to date nothing further happened . There is no [x] to exit the splash window but the "cancel" button does exit and if you return "your" chosen language is still there .

English (GB) is our current default for Mozilla Firefox. You should see a "Default" choice.

However, if this is how the interface will be in the future, it may make sense to include even the Default language as a localized installer to make things more usable.

I have raised this internally and solutions to this issue are being considered.

(unknown source)

4)The "Help" -> how to use PDF suggests that any manual download error reports , etc should be mailed to supprt@secunia.com ; this , plus the fact that the detected instance pathway in the splash window does not highlight for copy/paste , seems to indicate a bigger role for Support versus the Forum . If this is the case , will you be bolstering the numbers involved at the SEcunia end and speeding up the response time :)) ?? Can I book my Summer hols ?? ;))

Our goal, as such, is not to reduce the role of the forum, but rather to catch issues in the bud. The "contact support" button will send necessary troubleshoot information to us, and with the new SPS users should not see this button unless the automatic update somehow failed.

I am not permitted to confirm or deny anything concerning our internal organization. However, I cannot give you permission to take leave.

on 31st Mar, 2012 00:32, Anthony Wells wrote:

On a specific point , as Secunia wish to lead the way in getting everyone's software up to date and "safe" for browsing then I believe "education" of the newcomer and the lazy is also important . All the information provided in the "secure browsing" module of PSI 2.x is/should be part of that learning process . It being specified as for "Advanced" users in a separate module in 2.x has meant little confusion being voiced on the Forum .

I agree with your point on education, however one must keep in mind that a very large subset of users will refuse any kind of education. The PSI should be usable by anyone, with any level of education, and should ideally not require user interaction at all.

The advanced features, however, are obviously necessary for advanced and experienced users, and those interested in the "under the hood" goings on.

As for the Secure Browsing tab, I will forward your concern. Your points about Secure Browsing and its service to the overall security of one's system are very valid.

on 31st Mar, 2012 21:33, genegold99 wrote:
Just installed Beta 2 and appreciate ability to disable auto install and to see details. First impression: please make the list of scanned programs formattable - icons, list, etc.

This is already being considered internally and I will ensure your comment reaches that discussion.

on 31st Mar, 2012 21:33, genegold99 wrote:

Second impression: an item rescan option would be helpful.

I will forward your concern to our developers for consideration. How would you feel if, instead of this, the PSI automatically rescanned a program or checked for changes after any package finished installing?

on 1st Apr, 2012 08:22, FrankieBoy wrote:

It might be fine for PSI to default to large icons for entry-level users who crave simplicity, but power-users need the option to see a list with columns and such.

I agree and this will be raised with our developers for consideration

on 1st Apr, 2012 08:22, FrankieBoy wrote:

The kind of user who appreciates a UI so simple is likely to be the kind of user who's oblivious to the need for security, much less updating !

Which is exactly why the PSI needs to be simplified while still retaining its advanced features. As you surely know, any insecure machine anywhere in the internet is exposing itself to worm- or virus infection, which poses a risk for the rest of the online community. Without getting non-techie users on board, the world can't be rid of its security problems.

on 1st Apr, 2012 17:27, wrote:

It is necessary for the PSI 3.x to scan on the first run, which is also exactly what the PSI 2.x did. Without this, we cannot populate your scan results and inform you which programs you have installed.

As you may have noticed, the PSI now, by default, does not enable automatic installation of patches and unless you enabled it you will only be scanned. Nothing will be changed on your system.

on 1st Apr, 2012 20:09, Nergali wrote:

Back to topic: 3b2 is a step (a baby one) in the correct direction. instead of reiterating much of what I've stated in other threads I'd like to say that ... the contact support and red exclamation point depicted in the image above are confusing for me and would e especially so for "grandmothers"

I will raise your concern. Do you have any thoughts for a simpler way to notify the end-user that this issue needs Secunia Support to deal with it?

I assume Like 2.x I'll have to view details to see that at least one isn't updated, so seeing # of instances would be important.

Thanks as always to the development team for being good listeners and taking our constructive criticisms as that, constructive.

Upon your requst, I can forward your suggestion to our developers. However, I am not certain that it is strictly necessary to show this directly on the list view - Do you feel it would pose a problem if it was only show behind the right-click menu?

on 3rd Apr, 2012 09:59, Maurice Joyce wrote:

Thread Header: Will PSI 3.0 support Mac OSX 10.7 Lion?

Hi Maurice,

At the moment, no support is planned for Mac OS X.

on 3rd Apr, 2012 14:31, erix53 wrote:

First of all, a strange thing seems to happen on this XP SP3 machine: up-to-date programs have a red exclamation point and a "contact support" link, exactly as programs that need updating.

Have you tried running a full rescan, or rebooting? That is not intended behaviour.

on 3rd Apr, 2012 14:31, erix53 wrote:

Third, it sound slightly absurd to have to give an email address to know what the problem is; especially because, as noted above, the program claims to have done something I didn't ask it to do.

The idea here is for Secunia Support to be able to get back to you once we've investigated the the problem. Otherwise we may be stuck with a fix but nobody to help.

on 3rd Apr, 2012 14:37, erix53 wrote:
In the installer, the choice:
"check the following box to install updates automatically"
I think it should say something like:
"check the following box to automatically install updates for vulnerable applications"

Your interpretation is correct. I will forward your suggestion to our developers.

on 3rd Apr, 2012 14:52, erix53 wrote:

This could be relevant, for example, when an application has two or more supported versions, or where the user would prefer to avoid a major number change for compatibility or interface problems, or in the opposite case where the user would prefer to leave the old version and switch to the new one.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward it to our developers for consideration.

on 3rd Apr, 2012 15:06, erix53 wrote:

The red color seems to be used extensively, even where not warranted (e.g. a red icon for "Need help").
For the same reason, a heavy blood-colored icon in the system tray is probably not a good idea (btw, it also appears to scale down badly).

For example, a dial (or similar) visually going to 90% to 100%, or a number of red lines, would be more informative.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward it to our developers for consideration.

on 3rd Apr, 2012 17:19, libove wrote:
I installed PSI3b2 yesterday on an XPSP3 machine which had been half-cleaned by some kind of cleaner program.

The PSI operations under the assumption that your operation system is working correctly and applications are behaving as expected. Using any kind of cleaner program may a range of unexpected issues.

on 3rd Apr, 2012 17:19, libove wrote:

PSI3b2 nonetheless found remnants (perhaps something had been left behind in Common Files, almost certainly in the Registry) -- *and promptly downloaded and installed the current versions*. That's a bit too aggressive.

The PSI does not scan the registry. We only scan executable files.

The PSI would not have installed anything automatically unless you specifically allowed it. In Beta 2, automatic updating is opt-in.

on 4th Apr, 2012 09:32, erix53 wrote:
Er... do you mean reporting bugs (at least 3 in my previous postings) here is not enough? I thought somebody at Secunia is reading these posts, or else what's the point of having a beta forum?

We are, indeed, reading and evaluating your posts. :)

Thank you all for your feedback. I hope my comments address your concerns, otherwise please inform me and I will get back to you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
libove re: know/control major version updates
Member 4th Apr, 2012 09:54
I fully agree with and add my weight to Erix53's comment about major version changes.
For continued inter-operability, avoiding large changes in user-visible interfaces and functionality, as well as avoiding surprising the user, major version changes should NOT be installed by default.

This complicated, of course. Both Google with Chrome and Mozilla with Firefox have, with clear commercial intentions but I fear also with ill-thought out (or ignored) user consequences switched MINOR updates to have NEW MAJOR version numbers. So, if Chrome 17 is replace by Chrome 18, yes, I do want PSI to make that update. However, Adobe Reader 9 going to Adobe Reader 10 absolutely should not have been automatic because of the large user experience changes involved and some compatibility issues between the two (I don't recall whether PSI made that particular update automatic, I'm just using it as an example).

So, at an engineering level, PSI must have a setting applicable to every individual product in its database, as to whether automatic updates will cross major version numbers; and, at a usability and user experience level, Secunia must make wise choices for that setting for each program. At the IT/advanced user level, it may be necessary to have a completely separate advanced control panel (largely hidden by default) to allow over-riding on a per-program basis whether to perform major version updates, or even to permit side-by-side of more than one major version of a particular program at one time.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
libove re: detecting not-really-there programs and automatically (re-)installing them
Member 4th Apr, 2012 10:02
(unknown source)
[quote]on 3rd Apr, 2012 17:19, libove wrote:
I installed PSI3b2 yesterday on an XPSP3 machine which had been half-cleaned by some kind of cleaner program.

The PSI operations under the assumption that your operation system is working correctly and applications are behaving as expected. Using any kind of cleaner program may a range of unexpected issues.[/quote]

Of course, that's true. But it's not really my point; it just shows why my point will be relevant. Read on, please.

(unknown source)
[quote]on 3rd Apr, 2012 17:19, libove wrote:

The PSI does not scan the registry. We only scan executable files.

The PSI would not have installed anything automatically unless you specifically allowed it. In Beta 2, automatic updating is opt-in.[/quote]

And so back to my suggestion/ criticism: Although the product is designed to work on perfect systems (which we know is impossible; were systems generally perfect, then PSI itself would be unnecessary), it is an absolute certainty that a sizeable percentage of systems on which PSI finds itself installed will be quite imperfect in terms of the (un)cleanliness of (semi-)uninstalled software remnants left lying around.

And so PSI must be smarter than "I found some marker and so [if auto-updating is enabled] I simply WILL [re-]install the program (despite that the user may not want it at all)".

Just back-of-the-envelope'ing here, I suppose PSI could look to see if a percentage of key executable and DLL files exist, and if so, assume that a program is installed (or that enough of it remains to cause a danger), and in that case auto-update (if auto-updates are enabled); but if less than some critical mass of a program is found, then PSI should behave differently, something like this:

If auto-install is enabled, raise a warning to the user such as "It looks like you tried to uninstall Program X (version[s] a[,b[,c]]]). Some pieces were left behind, maybe enough to leave your computer open to risk. Would you like me to fully re-install the program for you? (And then you could try the full uninstall from Add/Remote Programs // Programs & Features). Or else click <link> for information about more complete cleaning methods.

If auto-install is not enabled, raise a similar warning, advising that one possible solution is to click to allow PSI to fully re-install, or for the user to do so fully manually, and provide the same informational <link> to help the user learn about more complete cleaning methods.

-Jay
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Apr, 2012 10:02
on 4th Apr, 2012 09:41, wrote:

Have you tried running a full rescan, or rebooting? That is not intended behaviour.

Good news: I didn't think of rebooting yesterday but this morning, after booting, two problems seem to have disappeared:

- now it asks for admin credentials when launched from systray.

- icons are now correctly gray (needs updating) or green (up-to-date), their text is now "Click to update" or "Updated".

So it seems that the installer should ask for a reboot after finishing.
(maybe it did and I missed it, or it didn't because the installer was launched as "run as" from a limited user account?)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Apr, 2012 23:01
Thread not answered by Secunia Support after 7 days.Moved here for ongoing exposure.

heinzj

New software
30th Mar, 2012 10:00
Ranking: 0
User Since: 30th Mar, 2012
Hi,
I like it that I am informed by Secunia if new software has been installed on my computer.
But would it also be possible to list the name of the new software? That would make
things even more transparent.
Thanks for the good tool,
Heinz J

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Apr, 2012 00:37
Last edited on 6th Apr, 2012 00:44

(unknown source)
Back to topic: 3b2 is a step (a baby one) in the correct direction. instead of reiterating much of what I've stated in other threads I'd like to say that ... the contact support and red exclamation point depicted in the image above are confusing for me and would e especially so for "grandmothers"

I will raise your concern. Do you have any thoughts for a simpler way to notify the end-user that this issue needs Secunia Support to deal with it?

Not yet, but I'm thinking on this one

(unknown source)
I assume Like 2.x I'll have to view details to see that at least one isn't updated, so seeing # of instances would be important.

Upon your requst, I can forward your suggestion to our developers. However, I am not certain that it is strictly necessary to show this directly on the list view - Do you feel it would pose a problem if it was only show behind the right-click menu?

Well that information is already readily available on right click+details (you just have to count them) but maybe (if possible) a mouse hover might be acceptable. And I might be willing to concede to something like

but (and even the hover-over) would be [u]mightily annoying to do every time for every program on every computer[/u]
See my example (and E. Petersen's during Beta 2.X) of multiple chromes. On day 1 I might have 1 chrome, on day 7 I might have 2 but the only way I'd know is to check every program (individually) to make sure my instance count had not gone up.

I would much rather
as then it says straight off

I guess what worries me the most is, in this real world situation for instance, The PortableApps version of Chrome has not be updated to 18 from 17; I keep a backed up copy of my flash drive on a network drive. Said network drive is available offline. I have PSI not ignoring offline files drive (%windir%\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\*.*) so as to make sure I'm catching the vulerable programs on my flashdrive toolkit. Either:
A) PSI will try to update that Chrome, which would make it no-longer the portable apps version but instead an installed one as far as I can tell, unless PSI is only replacing files and not truely installing (which I think would give some programs heart-attacks).
B) I'll have not a clue that the program is an old version without right clicking the program and clicking "show details" and rolling down through each instance (2+clicks verses 0 if showing in main screen).

Also please allow double click of tile to open Show Details.

Thanks as Always,
Nergal
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Apr, 2012 16:14
Last edited on 6th Apr, 2012 16:16
Hello Emil , Nergali , erik and libove ,

Hi,

Thank you for providing us with feedback on this latest Beta release.

We will consider your comments and concerns and include them in our development process.

I quite agree with this assesment and I will include this with other suggestions for improving usability.

However, one should keep in mind that with the new Secunia PSI and the new approach to packaging we hope to eliminate many of the issues that once required long-wound troubleshooting. Our goal is, as always, to eliminate the need for support entirely, however unlikely. Advanced users would eventually figure out you need to right-click the icon to get advanced options and "hiding" the advanced features slightly may reduse the clutter in the interface (Thus making the program easy to use for non-techies while still preserving the absolutely necessary advanced features that gives the PSI its power).

Furthermore, the Secunia PSI would insist you choose a language before proceeding with an automatic installation so I don't think it would be a problem for the end-users.

English (GB) is our current default for Mozilla Firefox. You should see a "Default" choice.

However, if this is how the interface will be in the future, it may make sense to include even the Default language as a localized installer to make things more usable.We are, indeed, reading and evaluating your posts. :)

Thank you all for your feedback. I hope my comments address your concerns, otherwise please inform me and I will get back to you.

Concerning the right click menu being non-intuitive , I rather meant that the "language" window (itself) was the problem ; I do agree that the "Advanced" bits should not be out in the open and potentially confusing to the uninitiated . For now the "right click for the menu" sort of does this and I am not sure whether numbers # on the tiles might not be "confusing" , as such .

Bearing in mind that Chrome (and soon to be Firefox) has it's own built in silent updater and if you do not select "autoupdating" neither the main apps. nor the portable apps do not get updated by the PSI ; in 2.x you can deselect (AU) for certain apps. ; if this is not available in V3 then maybe the fact that the update will not run until/unless you select a "language" may also provide a lock step .

The recent problems of the Firefox split into V 11.0 and V10.0.3ESR platforms was a problem at the time but I am told that this can/will be handled differently when they both jump to V17 and then resplit .

Without trying to be clever , advanced/power users want all the bits to be there and easily available , but in order to "advance" the newcomer and not confuse her/him , then perhaps the "advanced access" needs to require some "effort/power" .

Hope the Easter bunny brings you lots of choccy and stuff .

May your god go with you .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sid23 RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 6th Apr, 2012 20:12
User Since: 25th Jun 2009
Thank you very much for the re-introduction of the missing settings.

--
A secure system = Anti-virus software [main course] + keeping software up-to-date [garnishing] + common sense [side dishes]!!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Hoov68 RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 7th Apr, 2012 05:15
User Since: 7th Apr 2012
I am not sure what to think about this. Maybe you should have two lines, the current PSI and develop it for the power user, and the beta line for the more average users.

I had this beta version installed all for about 2 minutes and found several errors. First, I use AVG for an Antivirus. This new beta showed that I had the free version installed and the Security suite version installed, both at the same time and in the same folder. This can't be further from the truth. I have AVG pro installed.

Also listed were components. Such as Itunes, there was a component that was listed as a separate program. Wish I could remember the name, but there were several others as well.

I would also rather see a list format than window full of icons.

There was one unforgivable error though. When I installed the beta version I uncheck the automatic update box, yet as I was scrolling thru the icons, I found that it was automatically downloading updates. Call me paranoid, but I don't even let windows do automatic updates.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Apr, 2012 11:40
on 7th Apr, 2012 05:15, Hoov68 wrote:
Also listed were components. Such as Itunes, there was a component that was listed as a separate program. Wish I could remember the name, but there were several others as well.

Interesting. I did a quick browse (it would have been a lot easier with the list format) and found the following components shown as separate entities:

BlitzBlank 1.x (Emsisoft emergency kit)
Command Line Process Viewer/Killer/Suspender 2.x (LightTPD)
MonoDevelop 2.x (Unity 3D)
NTI FileCD 2.x (NTI CD-maker)
various NVIDIA components (video driver)
OpenAL Installer 2.x (part of a game)
snapshot 1.x (PE Builder)

In some of the above cases a separate update of the component could break the parent application, possibly making a complete reinstall necessary or, worse, introducing subtle bugs.
(I already commented an the likely consequences of automatic updates in general, so I won't repeat myself).

Another thing I noticed is that the executable name is not given (only the directory) so one has to try and guess to locate the actual .exe file the icon refers to.
I've no idea about where the shown description (e.g. "Command Line Process Viewer/Killer/Suspender") comes from; I did not find it in the .exe file itself.

Lastly, all Sysinternals components are listed separately, which is fine because they are in fact independent, but many of them are not identified as part of Sysinternals.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
libove scan schedule?
Member 7th Apr, 2012 12:12
Where is the scan schedule in PSI 3beta(2)?
I don't see any mention to regular re-scans in the PSI 3beta User Guide, nor in the user interface itself.

A simplified user interface is one thing (though I do think the PSI 3beta UI is too simple). Dumbing down the product is another.

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
libove task tray icon color is incorrect
Member 7th Apr, 2012 12:19
I believe this has been commented before, so perhaps this is just a "me too".

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, SP1, all patches, running as a normal user, UAC enabled.
The PSI 3beta tray icon is (always) red.
But when I open the PSI 3beta window, it shows all programs are up to date.

I clicked re-scan, to see if that would change the color of the tray icon: It did.

Then I right-clicked on the tray icon and closed it, and re-ran PSI Tray from the Start Menu ... and the icon came back red again.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
yqwyxhaujx RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 8th Apr, 2012 12:07
User Since: 8th Apr 2012
Will PSI 3 have an API like PSI 2?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jesant13 RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 8th Apr, 2012 21:24
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Sep 2009
I use version 2.0.0.4003 of the Secunia PSI. I have not used any of the Secunia PSI 3 betas because I don't knowingly use any beta programs with the exception of one program that is less than 1 MB in size that checks for new emails and lets me know if there are any.

One thing I like in version 2.0.0.4003 is Secure Browsing. It has let me know in the past of multiple security vulnerabilities that I might not have otherwise known of. I suggest adding it to version 3.x as some users like myself might want it. I don't mind having to manually enable it, as long as I can do so through the interface of the program and not through the registry (the latter I am not comfortable with.)

I plan on continuing to use version 2.0.0.4003 however unless it lets me know of an update, version 3.x or a later version has something new that I want which version 2.0.0.4003 doesn't have (including support for Windows 8, if I get that), or support for version 2.0.0.4003 is dropped.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ylidor RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 8th Apr, 2012 21:45
User Since: 8th Apr 2012
I have installed Secunia 3.0 but the scan has hanged on me. I do have the psialog file associated with this event, but don't know how to attach it here. I then uninstalled it and installed Secunia 2.0. The scan ran till the second to the last item on the actions list but terminated with the message "scan aborted". Once again I have a log file available from this event.

Any idea what is going on here? The OS is Vista Home premium.

Thanks, Ron
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jshiii RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 9th Apr, 2012 02:18
User Since: 24th Sep 2008
I have used and recommended Secunia PSI to numerous PC owners over the last few years. I began to experience some use problems with PSI 2.0 when I upgraded my system to Windows 7. Could never get my community profile to load?

I'll check back when some of the bugs are worked out and most of the user options are added back again. I hope the view settings are changable as the icon view just leaves me cold. I understand you are trying to design for typical users as opposed to power users but not to have the view and preferences options available from the beginning is a mistake.Rather than call it PSI Lite I would say it is more a version of Ninite Updater with even fewer options.

I'll go back to the 'pain in the butt' manual method until Secunia or someone comes up with a reasonable alternative. I will be checking back with Secunia after I build my new computer 3-4 months.

James H.
Santa Barbara CA

Was this reply relevant?
+1
davidows Dramatically dumber user interface NEW!
Member 9th Apr, 2012 05:37
Score: 16
User Since: 24th Apr 2008

I've already given Anthony's comments a thumbs up, but I would like to add that I think the entire dumbing down of v3.0.x.xxxx is a bad idea, carried to an even worse extreme.

As an expert user, I sorely miss ALL of the advanced features of the UI in PSI v2, and I see no compelling benefit to the omission of a toggle between a simplified and a feature-rich UI. That toggle could even support granularity, with check-boxes for 1) more advanced (complete) scan results, 2) Secure Browsing Module, 3.) the ability to ignore flagged items, 4) links to Secunia and/or vendor bulletins, 5) original Dashboard view, etc.

I would much prefer to have the v2 interface with the added SPS update capability of v3, but if I had my choice of the V2 interface vs SPS, there would be no contest. I would clearly prefer V2 and forgo the SPS.

I too would strongly support a separate rating/classification to indicate ALL software that is as "fully" patched as can be, but with known vulnerabilities for which no "no solution" exists.

It's quite annoying when a necessary piece of software is flagged, lowering the PSI score, and changing the color of the tray icon, when the only "correction" would be to remove or ignore the offending file, neither of which would provide notification of a solution if/when one becomes available.

It is especially annoying when a product such as ImageMagick 6.7.6 already IS patched, but the patched version 6.7.6-1 only appears in the "comments" field of the properties dialog provided by the vendor. In the first Beta of V3, my only options were "Patch" or "Scan" again, with no means to see anything but that one item, and either action would end with the same result. I thought I was being denied access to a Dashboard view, or detail view of the Scan Results, only to learn that both had been removed.

Of course, there wasn't much I could do in V2 either. What I needed was an option to "ACCEPT" the current file, based upon a hash value, so I would be notified if/when a newer patch than the already "PATCHED" version of 6.7.6 (-1 in the comments) became available (based upon a different hash with the same or higher version number, but not the hash of the previously flagged version. Only then would my PSI score and tray icon color reflect the truth.

Recognizing that this is too much flexibility for the novice user, it would still beat "IGNORING" the file entirely, and could be enabled only after answering such questions as "1) Is the installed version actually newer than that detected by PSI? 2) What is that version? 3) Do you KNOW that the installed version patches the issue for which PSI flags this file?" and the use of such an "ACCEPTANCE" or "Exception without completely ignoring" could generate a report (with detailed supporting data) to PSI of the situation. Hopefully, such instances would be so uncommon, that PSI could react to the vendor to resolve such discrepancies, or advise the user of an inappropriate unflagging. (I am among several individuals who have pressed ImageMagick to mend their ways.)

Beta 2 is a minor improvement over Beta 1, but I'll be returning to V2, as V3 Beta still provides very inadequate access to information for my needs, and the announced changes for V3 won't satisfy me enough to give up the V2 interface either, even for the slight added convenience of SPS, only really needed in "PSI for Dummies".
Was this reply relevant?
+3
davidows RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 9th Apr, 2012 06:46
Anthony,

Don't let the "Expert Contributor" tag swell your head so much. While I gave your prior message a thumbs up and elaborated on my areas of concern. This one deserves a double thumbs down, if I could give it one.

Just because someone hasn't been here for long doesn't diminish the value of their input. There are probably many UI designers, such as myself, who have not been inclined to respond until the recent and drastic dumbing down of the interface.

"but I don't see your problem :-"

That you don't see his problem, only means that his critique is just as important as yours, because you never would have given his perspective, your emoticon notwithstanding.

"1)The GUI is for all users and big icons are good for my eyes (well, bully for you) although, as they are not all represented, I would like the programme's name in black bold rather than a whiter shade of pale"
Thanks for sharing, but the GUI is NOT necessarily appropriate for all users simply because you think so. I happen to agree with the others who much prefer the presentation of the scan results in V2, and I'm quite sure I've been using PSI for at least as long as you, since the very first Beta. My only issue with the Scan results in V2 was the difficulty in resizing column widths, so I could see the important status info in the last column on the right, and the lack of stickiness, once those column widths had been corrected.

"2)As a "power" user right click the icon and select "show details" and you get the installation path and the option to open the file location."

Big whoop! The "Details" given in V3 are still very scant. Where are the links to Secunia alerts or Vendor bulletins,for example? Where is the ability to apply a single update manually, if you don't like the packaged update from PSI? Where is the option to approve or disapprove auto-updates before being applied? As an acknowledged non-power user (see below), who are you to tell a power user to be satisfied with the minimal details revealed by a right-click, as if they didn't already know about that?

"3)Your weekly "auto" scan problem is no different to that in the PSI version 2.x :ie:(sic) do not load on boot and when you load select "Scan Again" bottom lhs of the GUI ;(sic) the date of the last scan is in the GUI ,(sic) so add seven days to get to the next one."

Where do you see the date of the last scan in V32? I don't; that was only visible in V2, on the Dashboard (now removed) and the Detailed Scan Results (also removed).

"Hello Frankieboy ,(sic)

As an intelligent ,(sic) non-techie ,(sic)non-power user ,(sic) I find pretty much all [b]I need as is in Beta 2
and if you actually read Jakob's opening post and the user manual (sic) , you will see that "under the bonnet" stuff will be added .(sic)"[/b]

BTW, before I go any further, I had been removing your spaces before periods until the one above; they don't belong, nor do the spaces before commas or other punctuation. Furthermore, contrary to the above, much of the "under the hood" stuff is NOT listed in the OP. Who are you, as a non-techie, non-power user, to question the needs and preferences of those of us who ARE techie, power users?

"As for me ,(sic) personally ,(sic) I find your last sentence particularly insulting to me and many of my (non-anorak) friends and acquaintances .(sic)"

Me thinks thou goest out of thine way to detect any insult. However, your use of the derogatory term "anorak" can only be intended as insulting. If you're so thin-skinned, and living in such a glass house, may I suggest that you not throw stones.

"If either of you have read both the OP and the manual and wish to be constructive ,(sic) why not be specific in what you wish rather than simply moan ;(sic) that way Secunia may be interested in incorporating your (specific) ideas with a benefit for all .(sic)"

I have no trouble understanding exactly what their complaints are, e.g. give us back what you have taken away from the V2 UI. You simply characterize their comments as "moaning" because you don't agree with them. You are not being constructive in doing so.

Take care

Anthony
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 9th Apr, 2012 06:57
Nergali,

It doesn't matter how well respected Anthony has been. He is not above reproach, especially when he takes unwarranted liberties on the message board.

He loses that mantle of respect, when he tries to argue that the icon interface is fine for all users, without any validation. Who is he to speak for the rest of us, and who is he to minimize the feedback of those who simply don't agree with him?

Then for him to characterize their feedback as non-constructive, and "moaning", simply because he doesn't "see" their problem, is even worse. If they choose to speak in generalities, e.g. that the V2 UI was far superior to the dumbed down V3 UI, who is he to question their chosen means of communicating that?

To top it off, he digs for a personal insult where clearly none was intended, all the while, embedding an intentional insult by using the term "anorak", as a characterization of the other two in comparison to himself and his "non-anorak" friends.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 9th Apr, 2012 08:21
FrankieBoy,

While Nergali is correct in saying "Anthony is a respected member, and you are posting in a forum, forums mean everyone replies to everyone.", I would responded to Anthony differently.

For example (with many corrections to his improper usage of punctuation):

"As an intelligent, non-techie, non-power user, I find pretty much all I need, as is, in Beta 2 and if you actually read Jakob's opening post and the user manual, you will see that "under the bonnet" stuff will be added."

That's nice, but how is the opinion of an avowed "non-techie, non-power user" relevant as a response to a post by a user who self-identifies as one of the skilled, power users who "need the option to see a list with columns and such"?

1.) After all, you weren't trying to force your wishes on Anthony. When you asked for an option, that doesn't require him to use it.

2.) It's especially annoying that he seems to imply that his opinion refutes yours. No, you are two different types of user!

3.) Furthermore, the list of "under the bonnet" stuff to be included in beta 3 is incomplete. So Anthony seems to have incorrectly assumed that it would satisfy all of your needs, although I still find it lacking.

"As for me, personally, I find your last sentence particularly insulting to me and many of my (non-anorak) friends and acquaintances."

That's a real stretch. Just because he happens to like a version we (and many others) considered a dumbed down product, doesn't mean our opinions of the product are, in any way, directed at him or anyone else as insults. He must have a very thin skin.

It happens to be true that those who might benefit most by the simple interface are those who are probably oblivious to the need for security and updates, and not even aware of the existence of PSI and/or fearful of using it. This doesn't even seem to refer to Anthony or his (whatever) friends, but to those who still shy away from PSI.

However, his implication, by comparing you to his "(non-anorak) friends and acquaintances", that you ARE an anorak (a derogatory term), is clearly intended to insult.

"If either of you have read both the OP and the manual and wish to be constructive, why not be specific in what you wish rather than simply moan; that way Secunia may be interested in incorporating your (specific) ideas with a benefit for all."

Not a valid criticism and not constructive at all. When a product is believed to be changed for the worse, it should suffice to point out exactly what you did. IMHO, it should be abundantly clear that the overwhelming majority of technical power users see the V2 UI as not broken for our needs, so why fix it, especially in the way V3 is so much less useful to us.

If Secunia wants to ADD an option, even the DEFAULT option, to operate in the Simple mode, that's fine, but don't take away the very capable UI we have been using already. The only minor benefit we will obtain from V3 is SPS and quite frankly, I could live without that. It's much more needed for the "non-techie", non-power" users, e.g. Anthony Wells and his friends.

My only complaint about V2 is that I constantly had to readjust the column widths to reveal much of the the important status information in the right-most column, and that my adjustments were not sticky, i.e. I had to fiddle with the column widths every time I opened PSI, even within a single Windows session.

I've already outlined two other issues, not having to do with the appearance of the UI, but the functionality. On one hand, I agree with Anthony that PSI should have a separate status and category for indicating "fully" patched products with "no solution", as currently shown ONLY with regard to products and plugins or extensions in the Secure Browsing module of V2.

There should also be a means of ACCEPTING patched products, where PSI fails to detect the patch only because the version didn't change. I give details on my suggestion for that in another post earlier tonight.

In a nutshell, my plea is "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater". While they may need a different approach to reach a different audience, they need not discard all of the power and information already offered to existing power users in the current product. I quite agree with you that we are the reason many non-power users are already using the product AS IS. I put it on the home PCs of all of my clients.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 10th Apr, 2012 16:39
Hello David ,

Thank you for adressing me directly ; however , I do not wish to waste more time and space (unnecessarily) and I really do not have the time (atm) to respond in detail .

Equally , I am allergic to subjective value judgement and your rather obvious use of Platonic Classical Logic ; a tedious and limited exercise .

So I will just add :-

1)The need for the GUI to be acceptable to ALL users is that Secunia are striving after an exalted objective of getting the massed scaredy cats and the lazy to use the PSI and not run a mile when it opens . This is their stated prime objective . Part of this is a simplified/intuitive "GUI" and autoupdating" for all made easy for all ; as I posted , I think that the finalshape will depend on the effectiveness the SPS installers .

NB : the last scan date is on the first PSI page (after loading - 3rd line down under the small green tick (if you are 100%)

What happens therein/thereafter is down to the detailed input Secunia get back from all (potential) users .

2)Again , as I have posted , details of the "vulnerabilities extant" in all fully patched programmes has always been refused by Secunia for commercial reasons , so I would be interested to know how much you would pay for a superduper "power" V2 (assuming all the current "bugs" also repaired) .

3)My eyes have defects - that the GUI is "good for me" will also be bully helpful to very many users .

4)I live in France and my "casual/incorrect(to you)" use of grammar and punctuation - not to mention dyslexic spelling on this very hard to see/read/type into website is an idiosyncracy . If it get's to you and makes you sic , too bad .

5)I will not explain any other of my comments you have chosen to "misread" because (my) English humour - particularly irony - is obviously lost on you . We'll both have to live with that .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 12th Apr, 2012 09:19
This morning the systray icon's tooltip changed with no apparent reason to "Updating insecure programs".

That's puzzling because nothing changed in the status and auto-updating is disabled.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2012 16:55

Hello @erix53 ,

Something similar happened to me and then I managed to really break things as I posted here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/124...

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Apr, 2012 18:04
on 13th Apr, 2012 16:55, Anthony Wells wrote:

Something similar happened to me and then I managed to really break things as I posted here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/124...

Nice to know, especially the part about auto-updates apparently being launched without permission.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2012 22:59

Hello again ,

Just to be clear , the scan was not asked for and the first set up/scan display*** was with the installer set to manual ; I set it running (deliberately) .

The "autoupdating" setting always stayed "deselected" but after the first run the installer behaved as if it was "autoupdating" .

When I deselected the boot launch , it was reselected after every next launch .

***It is annoying that when on the scan results page , there is no way to go back to the opening page without reloading the GUI .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Apr, 2012 23:29
Last edited on 16th Apr, 2012 23:31
on 12th Apr, 2012 09:19, erix53 wrote:
This morning the systray icon's tooltip changed with no apparent reason to "Updating insecure programs".

That's puzzling because nothing changed in the status and auto-updating is disabled.

It just says that, it's not really doing it. I ran across the same query, but the Balloon is worded wrongly
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Apr, 2012 12:30
Sadly, genuine submissions created on this Forum are getting "lost" amongst the sustained spammer attack posts being created.

I have grouped this post & others where Forum members have open questions & comments which should make it easier for Forum readers & helpers to navigate.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
MJBurton38 RE: Secunia PSI 3 - Beta 2
Member 19th Apr, 2012 05:28
User Since: 19th Apr 2012
Thank you for planning to add "ignore rules." These are very important particularly when the outdated software may be old but is stable and completely usable as is.

For example, I just recently installed a somewhat older version of a greeting card creator program that includes bundled software that PSI says is out of date. I know this component is out of date but it works fine for my use and is not a security threat.

I just want to be able to tell PSI to ignore it. I see this as the biggest feature missing from Beta 3.2 that was in version 2.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+