Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: MICROSOFT SAYS SECUNIA'S UPDATES NOT NECESSARY

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
MaryInMinnesota MICROSOFT SAYS SECUNIA'S UPDATES NOT NECESSARY
Member 13th Apr, 2012 06:43
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Apr, 2012
System Score: N/A
I just did a complete reformat of my pc, and then reinstalled Secunia PSI. The scan said I have 5 INSECURE programs. When I double click to open it up for further information, it gives me the Microsoft number. I went to Microsoft's website looked up the numbers, found them all, and then TRIED to download them.

The patches would begin to download, a window would say that Microsoft was checking my pc for the update, and then a window would come up saying the patch was not necessary for my pc.

All 5 of the INSECURE one stated by Secunia, Microsoft says are not necessary for my pc.

So how do I remove those from my scan? How do I prevent Secunia from saying they are insecure on the next scan?

Why isn't there like a MANUAL for Secunia? The tab for solutions has no help, and it seems that many people coming to the forum don't get answers either. I had to go thru 9 pages of threads just to find out nothing like my post was listed. Such a waste of time.

Any help with my situation is much appreciated. Please do NOT LOCK THIS THREAD until I say I have found the fix for my problem. Thank you very much.

mogs RE: MICROSOFT SAYS SECUNIA'S UPDATES NOT NECESSARY
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2012 09:12
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2012 09:18
@MaryinMinnesota

In order that someone can help you................
What is your Operating System....XP, Vista, W7 ?
What version of psi are you running ?......Right click on the taskbar icon and then About.
Have you checked thro' System Requirements as follows ?

System Requirements
The list of requirements that must be met for the Secunia PSI to function correctly are:

Supported Operating Systems (32 & 64 bit):
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista SP 1 or later
Microsoft Windows XP - SP 3
Privileges
To install and run the Secunia PSI you require administrative privileges.

Connectivity
Access to Secunia's encrypted servers via SSL (https://psi.secunia.com:443/) and access to Microsoft Windows Update servers, see also Software Requirements below

Software Requirements
The latest version of Microsoft Update. You can determine whether or not you are running the latest version by visiting

update.microsoft.com

with Microsoft Internet Explorer, while logged in as the Administrator. If you are able to check your system for missing updates through this tool, your system should function properly with the Secunia PSI.

Hardware Requirements:
There are no additional hardware requirements. If your computer runs any of the above mentioned Operating Systems, then Secunia PSI should work.

What patches is psi stating you require ?
The following method is recommended :-
When updating Microsoft Applications, it is a good idea to keep in mind that some Microsoft Updates do not "kick in" until after a reboot. Therefore, it is recommended to try following this procedure when installing Microsoft Updates:

1) Check Microsoft Update: install all security-related patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1: repeat step 2 if anything was installed at this step
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI

Manuals are available.

Hope the foregoing is of some help....regards,

Edit.........The thread will only be locked automatically, if there is no activity on it after 7 days.....else you, as the originator of it, can close it at anytime if you so wish..

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
blurble RE: MICROSOFT SAYS SECUNIA'S UPDATES NOT NECESSARY
Member 13th Apr, 2012 22:08
Score: 1
User Since: 13th Apr 2012
Mary -

In my experience, the two most common reasons why a Windows patch will say it "does not apply to this system" even when it's missing and should be applied are:
1) You need a different version of that same patch (e.g. 64bit vs. 32 bit, Windows Vista vs. 7, etc)
2) You need to install another patch first.
Either of those could be the case here, but we'd need a lot more information to tell.

Good news, I think there's an easy solution that'll work things out for you in either case.

You mention that you just reformatted and reinstalled Windows, but you didn't mention having used WIndows Update. Personally, my first step with any freshly installed system like yours is to run Windows Update, download and install any patches it finds, restart, and repeat until it doesn't find any more patches (after a restart).
Only once you've installed everything it finds that way would I run Secunia; a fresh install can be missing scores of interdependent windows updates, so you may as well let Windows do the heavy lifting.

Good luck!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
MaryInMinnesota RE: MICROSOFT SAYS SECUNIA'S UPDATES NOT NECESSARY
Member 13th Apr, 2012 23:01
Score: 0
System: Vista Serivice Pack 2
3 Gig
IE 8
Reformat brought up a total of 258 Microsoft patches, all have been installed
Secunia PSI
Used Windows Update for patches
Used Microsofts website to check Secunia patch numbers and downloads
Using Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection (MSE)

Windows Update was used to install the 258 patches. Then MSE was downloaded and brought up to date.Then IE was brought up to date with IE 8 downloaded. (don't care for IE 9 so far) Then Internet Explorer was used to download programs I used, such as REVO, CCleaner, and then Secunia PSI, after all patches were installed. (also, Windows Media Player and SilverLight were updated prior to Secunia download)

I did the patches in sections. The first check of Windows Update said there were 107 patches, so I did 60 of them in one download, then the remaining 47 patches. I would then check Windows Update again and find out more patches had then been added, and I would install all as added.(next batch would be 40 patches, then 10, then 8, etc.) After each download of patches, I would then always check Windows Update. As of this moment, only 2 patches are in my Windows Update, and both are optional updates that I don't need or want.

After downloading Secunia I ran the scan, saw a total of 8 patches were needed, 2 were for programs I forgot got intstalled with the reformat, so I used REVO to uninstall them. Secunia let me know those were removed, and I rescanned with Secunia. That scan brought up 6 patches, to which one of those I had to resolve by removing a program using REVO, then installing again. Secunia notified me of the removed program, and then the installed program being put back on.

I then did a scan with Secunia again, and it shows the 5 remaining insecure which are for 3 programs, which are:

SilverLight: KB26688562 (MS12-016)
SilverLight: KB2668562 (MS12-016)
IE 8: KB2544521 (MS11-052)
Vista: KB951550 (MS08-069)
Vista: KB251053 (MS11-031)

I went to Microsofts webpage, using http:// found the patches, read the info on them, clicked on the button to download, the download would begin, then a Microsoft window would come up saying "CHECKING YOUR COMPUTER FOR INFORMATON" then a couple of minutes later another Microsoft window would come up saying something in the order of "YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT NEED THIS PATCH"

So I then did a double check by trying to download those patches again and got the same info.

I have scanned again with Secunia PSI, and it always comes back saying I have 5 insecure items. I think it's giving me a score of either 83 or 87. Prior to my reformat, I had a score of 100 for several years.

I also checked Control Panel and REVO to make sure that I did not have "double" entries for anything, such as Adobe Flash Player, which I removed, then reinstalled with the current version... same thing was done with Java, and I removed Adobe Reader completely.

Just a FYI: I have owned and worked on computers since 1983. I have had to reformat my parents computers at least 20 times over the years (LOL), and on my own personal computers, I have only had to reformat 3 times, which includes this current reformat. So I'm knowledgeable in everything excecept why Seunia PSI still says I have 5 insecure patches for 3 programs. I'm wondering if I should uninstall Secunia, then reinstall it ???

I hope I gave the right info requested in this reply. I had thought when I hit the reply button that I would see the person I was replying to, their reply... nope... bummer...8-)

Hope someone can tell me how to remove those 5 insecure from my Secunia PSI scans.
Many thanks to the replies given so far, and also to futher replies.

REAL HAPPINESS IS CHEAP ENOUGH, YET HOW DEARLY WE PAY FOR IT'S COUNTERFEIT. Hosea Ballou
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: MICROSOFT SAYS SECUNIA'S UPDATES NOT NECESSARY
Handling Contributor 13th Apr, 2012 23:18
Score: 11720
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Try this to see what is happening.

MICROSOFT BASELINE SECURITY ANALYSER (MBSA)

If U are having difficulty confirming the status of Microsoft updates installed on your PC U may wish to install MBSA.

It scans a PC, highlights general security features that were checked, in particular missing Microsoft hot fixes (patches), with additional links to fixes or help lines.

Do not be put off by all the written hype about IT Professionals etc - it is easy to use & understand the results.

More details & the download link are here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc1849...

Update 1 23:32 25/01/2011

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 15th Apr, 2012 08:55
PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!

Thank you for that link! I didn't use it, but I am defiantly going to save it just in case down the road I need it.

I AM NOW AT 100% SECURE WITH SECUNIA PSI !!!

YEE HAW !!!

This is what I did to correct the problem. I downloaded Microsoft Mr. Fixit, and ran the 21 checks it brought up. I can't remember which check it was doing, but it said it found a problem and it fixed it.

After downloading and running Mr. Fixit, I then did a new scan with Secunia PSI and it came back saying CONGRATULATIONS YOUR SCORE IS 100% !!!

YEE HAW !!! I am tickled pink right now! Seeing a 100% Secunia System Score is great!

Just a FYI... I did not do the one time Mr. Fixit online... I went to Microsoft's website and did an actual download of Mr. Fixit to my computer. It runs a scan on your pc and puts all of that info into a program just for your pc, and then you can have it scan the programs it lists for your pc. For my pc it listed 21 programs and I ran each one. The entire process took less than a half hour. The Mr. Fixit program stays on your computer, puts an icon on your desktop, and you can schedule it to run a check or do it manually.

My thanks go out to Microsoft's Mr. Fixit and the good people here at Secunia's community group. Thank you all again!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Apr, 2012 09:00
My problem is fixed!!! Scroll down to the bottom and see my post to see how I fixed this problem.

MaryInMinnesota (temperature hit 79 degrees here on Saturday.. actually didn't have to turn the furnace on.. Love it!)

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: MICROSOFT SAYS SECUNIA'S UPDATES NOT NECESSARY
Handling Contributor 15th Apr, 2012 17:42
Score: 11720
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Mary,
Pleased to see U are all fixed up. Enjoy the sunshine!

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U sometime tomorrow unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from Forum "tag on" posts

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

Have a nice weekend.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: MICROSOFT SAYS SECUNIA'S UPDATES NOT NECESSARY
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2012 19:25
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@MaryinMinnesota

Your last post about the Fixit helped me too. I remembered I had it bookmarked and decided to give it a go. I'd had a fault found some time ago by my Toshiba pc diagnosis prog......isatap adaptors not working : tho' at the time no remedy seemed to be available.
Anyrate, Fixit found same and carried out a successful re-install of the six of them, I think it was.
Very pleased.
The prog.( Fixit ) doesn't appear to have remained on the pc tho'.
Thanks for posting your findings......regards........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability