Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI will not scan

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
markpayton PSI will not scan
Member 16th Apr, 2012 18:03
Ranking: 0
User Since: 16th Apr, 2012
System Score: N/A
I have been working for a couple of days to get PSI to install and run on my system. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with all manner of security options. No matter what I have done, PSI will load, but immediately aborts the scan, jumping from step 2 to step 7 without anything in between.

I have tried the online scan as well, but it appears to hang part way into the process as well.

I am running on a Lenovo X220 Tablet with a SSD drive. Windows 7 Enterprise fully patched is the OS. The machine is not part of a domain and I am using the account created at OS installation for installation of PSI. I have seen this behavior before, but a reinstall always got it working for me. Not on this machine.

I tried the PSI 3 beta as well, but it too got to a certain point, then never advanced beyond it.

Any idea what I can do to get it running on this machine? I have always put it on my computers for the past few years and rely on it to keep my apps up to date.

Thanks,
Mark

Post "RE: PSI will not scan" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: PSI will not scan
Expert Contributor 16th Apr, 2012 19:27
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@markpayton

Hello.
Have you checked thro' the settings in the FAQ's here ? :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

I found some time ago, that installing/uninstalling a few times, sometimes set up oppositions in the registry....on more than one occasion I found that removing psi using Revounstaller, using the Advanced level, checked for more left over entries....a clean install was then the answer.

Hope the foregoing is of some help........regards........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
markpayton RE: PSI will not scan
Member 17th Apr, 2012 01:55
Score: 0
User Since: 16th Apr 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. I had already tried everything except Revouninstaller, which I tried today as suggested. No go. Exactly the same behavior. What is really odd is that it did run on this hardware with the original OEM version of Windows on it, but not with the Enterprise version. There shouldn't be significant differences. I've seen this problem once or twice before and uninstalling/reinstalling always took care of it.

Any other ideas out there? If not, I'll either look for an alternative or forego having something track versions altogether.

Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI will not scan
Handling Contributor 17th Apr, 2012 15:28
Score: 11720
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Mark,
I would clarify the use of the Enterprise Edition with Secunia at: support@secunia.com.

As U are aware PSI is for use by Home Users only & they may well see that Windows version as only being used by Corporates etc.

I am not sure SSD has anything to do with it either but worth asking support before trying more possible solutions or uninstalling PSI.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Apr, 2012 16:08
Thanks. Yes, I am aware of the limitation on usage. In this case, I am just testing out Enterprise to see what the language support is like on a Tablet PC for personal interest. The computer itself isn't going to anyone, and will be reimaged when I'm done testing, but I do want to make sure that I have all the latest versions of the apps so I can see if there are any conflicts.

Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Apr, 2012 16:22
In that case have U given version 1 a whirl?

Download link here: http://secunia.com/PSI1Setup.exe

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Apr, 2012 16:55
Version 1 does run. Thanks. Does it use the same database and rules as the newer versions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Apr, 2012 17:09
Last edited on 17th Apr, 2012 17:18
Yup - that will help U detect all your programmes. Just suggest any that are not included as per the FAQ here:

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#s4

EDIT: Mark,
U may have noticed this Forum has been subject to heavy spamming over the last week or so.

If U are now happy I would strongly advise U lock the thread to protect your mailbox as follows:

a. Click the Accept option in the post that helped U the most

OR

b. Request I or Secunia Support lock it using the Forum.

It can be reopened for U at any time by contacting Secunia Support at support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability