Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI 3.0 Beta

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
suzy67 Secunia PSI 3.0 Beta
Member 15th May, 2012 06:46
Ranking: 1
User Since: 27th Jul, 2009
System Score: 100%
Just happened to go to Secunia's web-site yesterday and saw that this beta version was out and decided to put it on my 2 windows computers; one runs XP Pro SP3 (desktop) and the other runs Win 7 (laptop). I ran scans on both machines right after installing the new beta version of PSI. I am quite impressed with the simplicity of the new design; the old one was sort of crowded and could be confusing until one becomes acquainted with the program...but the beta version is beautifully simple and appealing! The scan seemed to take a really really long time on both machines...much longer than PSI 2 would take. Other than the that, the beta program was accurate in it's findings. Also, I liked how it displayed all the programs, etc. on each computer (although it would be nice if it could be changed to a list view-I saw this mentioned somewhere in the forum...) Thus far, I've had a positive experience with the new beta version of PSI and I look forward to my next weekly scan. Will keep this forum updated on future impressions/[problems/experiences with beta 3.0 PSI!

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop
Windows XP Pro/1 GB RAM-80 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome /IE8/Opera/Firefox (all current)
ClamAV/MBAM/WinPatrol/PCTools Firewall Plus

Acer One Aspire
Windows 7 Home Edition/1GB RAM-250GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome (current Beta version) /IE9/Firefox/Opera (all current)
Microsoft Security Essentials/WinPatrol/MBAM

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in

Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI 3.0 Beta
Expert Contributor 16th May, 2012 01:09
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi Suzy ,

In your list of equipment you mention (Google) Chrome 12 ; the latest platform is up to version 19 ; is it a typo ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
suzy67 RE: Secunia PSI 3.0 Beta
Member 19th May, 2012 07:48
Score: 1
User Since: 27th Jul 2009
Last edited on 19th May, 2012 07:56
Hello Anthony! Yes, thanks for pointing out that my equipment info is out-of-date actually, not a typo! My Google Chrome browser on my Win XP and Win7 computers is actually on the beta channels and are up-to-date (off hand, not sure of the version number-right now I am on my Chromebook: Cr-48) And on my Chromebook, I am on the development channel so I am now on R20.0.1132.11! Guess I should update my profile info and my "signature"! I actually saw that when I posted the other day; obviously, I haven't been participating in the Secunia forum very much as of late! I am so busy with my Google Group-Chromebook Central-as I was one of the original pilots for the testing of the (new) Chrome OS. I use Google Chrome as my browser default on both of my Window computers, but I do occasionally use Opera, Firefox and yep, even IE8 and IE9! But I prefer Chrome; Have you used the beta Secunia 3 yet? So far I like it. I have yet to run this week's PSI scan on my Windows' computers (no need for stuff (software) like PSI on a Chromebook!), so after I run it, I will post if I had any problems...Thanks again, Anthony!

also, my current score with PSI Beta 3.0 is a 100% not 96%...not sure why it didn't update....

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th May, 2012 17:32
Last edited on 20th May, 2012 17:39
Hello Suzy ,

Thanks for your update . I am also a fan of the Chrome browser - very happy with the Dev channel version ; as it is an "alpha" on my one and only computer , I have Firefox as my default , plus , Ff is the only browser that lets me comfortably see this website using page & text zoom (with the quite invaluable must have "NoSquint" add-on) . Have not found anything like it for Chrome , unfortunately .

Was not able to get on the Chrome pilot scheme from here in France , but will yake a close look at it when I break my XP - or win the lottery :))

Concerning the PSI 3Beta , it is an interesting development but , so far , there are too many false positive detections and the SPS silent updaters are too silent - you cannot see/hear/get any concrete info as to what they are up to - and impossible to rectify when they go wrong . I'm back on version 2.0.x for now which also suffers from the SPS problems but is more getatable/fixable .

Your score has updated , I notice .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st May, 2012 06:15
Anthony,
I haven't run another scan with the Beta 3.0 yet, but I am going to be doing it soon...I was hoping it would work well :) I haven't had any problems with the stable version 2.0 as of late....it does tend to tell me my Microsoft security updates are missing before I even get them via automatic updates on my XP computer. Other than that, the program has been working very well for my machines. Perhaps I should change back to 2.0 before I even run my weekly scan! I don't know! Maybe I will give the beta version another shot at it. You will definitely hear from me after I do the scan.

I noticed (after you told me!) that my score DID update itself I guess when I fixed my signature info is when it updated to the 100%. I never leave my score below that...I always fix whatever is missing and giving me a less than perfect score :)

So...you are from France? Guess you see I'm from the United States; Pittsburgh Pennsylvania to be exact. I would love to visit France; I hear it's is so beautiful there! Take care. Thanks for the conversation!

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th May, 2012 21:40

Hello Suzy ,

This thread is about to lock automatically , so I was wondering how you are getting along with the PSI Beta .

Lovely France is hot and thundery at the moment , so I am shutting down my PC for safety .

Catch you later .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th May, 2012 00:47
Hey there Anthony! It is very hot and humid here, too, in Pittsburgh, PA, USA! In fact, we just had a thundershower, but it didn't last long enough to cool things off. :-( I detest the humid HOT weather nowadays; when I was much younger, the heat didn't bother me but it sure does now.

Yes, I have run my second scans with the PSI Beta 3.0 program on both my Win 7 Sp1 laptop and my HP XP Sp 3 without any problems...I felt the scan ran smoothly and didn't take very long either. Since I also use Update Checker (from filehippo.com) and CNET Techtracker (from cnet.com) in addition to Secunia PSI, I didn't have many missing updates when I did the scans with the Beta 3.0 program. I like the end page the way it shows you all of your programs and shows the ones that were updated that particular time...it's similar to the way it is in 2.0, except I like how you can change between 2 different modes of viewing the programs. All in all, I have had positive experiences with the Beta version, and have yet to experiences any false-positive results you have mentioned. It will take a while to get used to this new version, and I saw here in this forum that many people aren't too happy with it. But, in my experience, people tend to resist any change in their lives! (Take for example, Facebook, with the new Timeline feature that's being introduced; many many users detest the Timeline view and cling to the old "wall profile" as if it was life itself!:-) I am guessing here that you are familiar with Facebook and this Timeline thing! Feel free to send me a friend request (https://www.facebook.com/susan.cassidy3?ref=tn_tnm...) that is, if you are on Facebook. I am also on Twitter (@cassidysm) and G+ (https://plus.google.com/u/0/104066803208118772069/...)....follow me on these sites and I will add you back:)

Take care, Anthony. It's been a real pleasure and I hope to "see" and "hear" more from you at a later date. I will be back to the forum again very soon with further updates on my experiences with Secunia PSI!

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability