Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Scan shows zero

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
shanenci Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 14:55
Ranking: 1
User Since: 16th May, 2012
System Score: N/A
Hi Support,
I have installed the PSI app on 3 computers in the last two days.
Yesterday on an XP sp3 computer, run the scan, fine, finds vulnerabilities and EOL and insecure applications, run the update, great all ok.

Today I have installed the app onto an XP SP3 and a Win7 Pro computer, when I run the scan, zero results appear on both computers.
I have reviewed the 'PSI will not scan' in the forum from the last few days
Add to trusted sites, active scripting, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for this program', check service is running.
Made the changes but still get zero scan info.

What can you suggest I try next?

blueline107 RE: Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 16:54
Score: 4
User Since: 19th Sep 2009
Last edited on 16th May, 2012 16:55
Same problem here. New Win 7 computer 64 bit professional. Just installed PSI 2.0 on this machine this morning It seems to be scanning as it is supposed to but problems when finished.such as no programs being found. Status indicator is red as is System Score which shows 0%. Also, keep getting "Welcome to the Secunia PSI" pop-up every time I open PSI. Long-time PSI & CSI user.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: Scan shows zero
Handling Contributor 16th May, 2012 17:14
Score: 11723
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Have U checked that your drives have been picked up by PSI?

Open PSI>dashboard>configuration>settings>drive tab - are your hard drives populated with a tick (check mark) to the left?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
j4960s RE: Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 17:24
Score: 0
User Since: 16th May 2012
Last edited on 16th May, 2012 17:35
and i have the same problem, i have a samsung n145 with windows 7 starter 32bit, i had secunia psi 2.0 and it was working fine, then i did a restore factory reset on my netbook and i downloaded all the software that i like to use, then psi 2.0 shows no results no programs i scanned it again and still nothing, and were it says scan status (the last full system scan N/A, i then uninstalled psi 2.0 and tried the new psi 3 beta and that says secunia system score not known and shows nothing, my netbook is up to date, i even tried secunia psi 1 and that shows no results...

my drives C&D have ticks on the left of them
Was this reply relevant?
+0
shanenci RE: Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 17:49
Score: 1
All required drives are checked.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RebeccaJM RE: Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 17:52
I am having the exact same issue. Secunia works perfectly on my Windows Vista computer but I just installed Secunia on a Windows XP comp. and all it shows is 0% System Score. No programs show up either. I closed the program, rebooted comp. and still isn't working. The C drive is checked under drives. So I am at a loss on how to fix this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
shanenci RE: Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 17:57
I have noted that the following service Secunia Update Agent, is not shown in the services view.
Secunia PSI Agent is shown, is automatic and is started (running).
Checked on the Windows 7 computer but not checked on the XP computer.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
engywuck RE: Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 18:09
Score: 2
Same problem here: fresh installed Secunia PSI, added https://*.secunia.com to trusted sites, checked Active Scripting, Drive C is checked - but still a score of 0% and no programs added.

When doing a manual scan all steps appear, all icons in "Scan Progress: Stepb-by-Step" turn green, but "last full system scan" stays at "N/A"

The psialog.txt file has dozens of entries like
[05/16 17:59:04.439] Scanning file: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe'
[05/16 17:59:04.487] Scanning PE header for file: \\.\C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe
[05/16 17:59:04.535] Offset=248
[05/16 17:59:04.584] Timestamp: 0x4f2d2d2c
[05/16 17:59:04.632] Machine : 0x014c
so the scan appears to be working...
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th May, 2012 18:09
Same problem here: fresh installed Secunia PSI, added https://*.secunia.com to trusted sites, checked Active Scripting, Drive C is checked - but still a score of 0% and no programs added.

When doing a manual scan all steps appear, all icons in "Scan Progress: Stepb-by-Step" turn green, but "last full system scan" stays at "N/A"

The psialog.txt file has dozens of entries like
[05/16 17:59:04.439] Scanning file: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe'
[05/16 17:59:04.487] Scanning PE header for file: \\.\C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe
[05/16 17:59:04.535] Offset=248
[05/16 17:59:04.584] Timestamp: 0x4f2d2d2c
[05/16 17:59:04.632] Machine : 0x014c
so the scan appears to be working...
Was this reply relevant?
+1
torque2k RE: Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 18:15
Just a "me, too". Installed 3.0 beta first, no luck, uninstalled, rebooted, installed 2.0.4003 (latest on site), shows nothing in the scan, 0 vulnerabilities (though I know Flash Player is out of date). Running Win 7 32-bit in a VM under VMware Fusion 3 on a Mac.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th May, 2012 18:18
Drive is picked up and correctly indicated. (No other choices detected either.)

After scans, I continue to get message that scan completed successfully. It appears to go through the process correctly and all step-by-step scan progress icons on the "scan" tab turn green.

However, on that same page ("scan" tab) under "Last & Next Full System Scan", both indicate "N/A". Yet just below that under "Scan Message (last full scan)", it reads "Scan executed successfully (ID: 2015)"

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th May, 2012 18:19
on 16th May, 2012 17:14, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Have U checked that your drives have been picked up by PSI?

Open PSI>dashboard>configuration>settings>drive tab - are your hard drives populated with a tick (check mark) to the left?

Correct drive is indicated and checked.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th May, 2012 18:25
Last edited on 16th May, 2012 18:27
on 16th May, 2012 18:15, torque2k wrote:
Just a "me, too". Installed 3.0 beta first, no luck, uninstalled, rebooted, installed 2.0.4003 (latest on site), shows nothing in the scan, 0 vulnerabilities (though I know Flash Player is out of date). Running Win 7 32-bit in a VM under VMware Fusion 3 on a Mac.

Interestingly, I tried running OSI (online inspector) and am getting an Adobe Flash out-of-date warning for a file that doesn't even exist on my computer: Flash32_11_2_202_233.ocx.

I am running brand new 64 bit machine and there is no such Flash 32 bit file on my computer. Furthermore, when I download the furnished Adobe update link (at OSI) and double-click the downloaded file to run it, nothing happens.

I went to Adobe site to check if my installed Flash files were up to date. They are.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
bigglesworth RE: Scan shows zero
Member 16th May, 2012 21:12
Same problem here, new download and installation done today. Scans as before but always end up with zero. It appears to be todays download that is at fault, my other two machines with old installations of PSI are fine.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th May, 2012 22:33
Last edited on 16th May, 2012 23:18
secunia psi 2 is working now i have no idea why so i tried psi 3 beta and that is working also, secunia HQ must of been offline, on version 3 beta it says i need 2 programs fixing Skype and adobe and that i have to pick a language for adobe before i can patch it it has a list of languages but no English this is now becoming a JOKE,

i decided to uninstall psi 3 beta, and go back to psi 2 and it was working 20mins ago i had a score of 95% but not anymore, it shows no system score and no program information no nothing, all my drivers are up to date using slimdrivers i have used these two programs for months and have never had any problems, has any one got any suggestions anything would be grateful JAMES...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Scan shows zero
Expert Contributor 16th May, 2012 23:28
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th May, 2012 23:35
Hello ,

The zero score is typical of a server fault at Secunia's end . I was getting a very slow connection and a "correct score" now (in the last few minutes) I get a big red zero .

There is nothing you can do to change this 0% display . No amount of uninstalling , 're)installing , (re)booting is going to work .

On my system , the PSI usually resets itself when the servers are back up ; bear in mind , some people have needed a full (re)scan and or (re)boot to reset .

Concerning the English language selection in the Beta , in the past (I currently run version 2.0x and that has it's own Adobe Flash detection problems) , this was set by the kids as the "default" . Which Adobe and/or Skype programme and version is/are referenced ??

EDIT: just relaunched the PSI (from tray icon) and it quickly opened and gave me my correct score :ie: the last scan results which are always held on the Seunia servers .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th May, 2012 23:59
works now.

Wouldn't it be better to show some sort of "sorry, Server not available, last Score was: " instead of a zero? Well, there's hope foor 3.0 Gold :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th May, 2012 00:14

Hi ,

It's catch 22 ; all the relevant data for the GUI is held individually for you on the server , so if it (the server) cannot be contacted , the GUI cannot display .

That , as opposed to personal data files loaded to your system as a log file is the method that Secunia have chosen - presumably on a cost efficiency basis for a free programme . They (support) have never responded/remarked as to why or not a Server difficulty ,or any other distinct , error message can(not) be displayed , so do not get your hopes up too high for 3 to hit the sweetspot . That's why the Forum seems to be delegated for these matters .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th May, 2012 00:23
Last edited on 17th May, 2012 00:32
Hi Anthony secunia 2 working again the two programs were Skype 4 windows 4.x , and psi 2 said it was end of life so i uninstalled it using REVO UNINSTALLER , and the other program was adobe reader 9.x , on psi 3 beta i clicked on it and i was told to select a language but no English or united kingdom were not available, on lots of programs i get told to pick a language but nothing for the UK , it makes me sick when that happens , adobe reader has been patched using psi 2 , could you tell me if they is a paid version for secunia 2

kind regards to all James... system score 100%

i can resist anything but temptation
OSCAR WILDE...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th May, 2012 00:39
on 17th May, 2012 00:14, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi ,

It's catch 22 ; all the relevant data for the GUI is held individually for you on the server , so if it (the server) cannot be contacted , the GUI cannot display .

That , as opposed to personal data files loaded to your system as a log file is the method that Secunia have chosen - presumably on a cost efficiency basis for a free programme . They (support) have never responded/remarked as to why or not a Server difficulty ,or any other distinct , error message can(not) be displayed , so do not get your hopes up too high for 3 to hit the sweetspot . That's why the Forum seems to be delegated for these matters .

Take care

Anthony

Thank you much for the info. I have used PSI & OSI for a long time but had never encountered the anomaly. It caught me off guard.

I just re-scanned PSI and all appears to be in good order again. Hooray!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th May, 2012 15:07
Last edited on 17th May, 2012 15:18
Hello James ,

Perhaps I was not specific enough before , what I meant was , you should see a "default" language option in the actual dropdown menu ; this is English GB (or the International version).

When I qeried the lack of an English GB option at the time of the 3 Beta launch , support advised me that it was the "default" option in the menu and was nothing to do with your system OS language .

In the PSI 2.0.x , there is/was a bug that the language menu is not available until an "Auto-Update" is current for installation ; you need to set your PSI to prompt before running updates in order to get into it (see Settings module in Configuration tab).

Personally , I never use either the PSI "A-U" nor the "manual solution" options . In the past both Secunia and the vendors have recommended as "least hassle updating" by using the programme's internal updater (which may be slient or under your control :eg: Chrome and Firefox browsers) or visit the vendor's website :eg: Adobe's Flash and Oracle's Java .

Secunia are working hard on getting their own silent updaters (SPS) to be equally efficient via the PSI Beta , not to mention removing "false positive" detections which can add confusion .

Please note : that , atm , the SPS installers do not tell you what they are downloading and installing , when they are doing it and whether ii was successful and whether they have finished ; you need to run a (full) scan to find that out . To me that is OK for an "auto-(silent)update" if that is your selection , but it is a real pain if you have selrcted a manual install ; on that basis I will not use them .

If you still cannot find your language version , please post some/all specific details of an incident or advise support direct at support@secunia.com

There is no paid version of the PSI which is for personal use . The PSI is derived from Secunia's CSI which is for corporate use and has corporate prices :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/

Hope that is clear enuff .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th May, 2012 16:22
Last edited on 17th May, 2012 16:32
Hi Anthony it was psi 3 beta that told me i needed two programs patching, when i loaded psi 3 beta it only had two options in the settings and i think both were about updates nothing about language defaults, then when i pressed the scan button it then showed me all the programs i have and the two that needed patching and when i pressed the Skype button the one that needed patching i was taken to a page all about Skype no drivers to be found or any kind of downloads, anyway i used psi 2 to fix my problems i find this program easy to use apart from ZERO score when their server is offline, it should say on the program >SERVER< is offline then lots of people wont be uninstalling & installing & pulling their hair out trying to get it to work (myself included) i think i will try SUMO which stands for software update monitor, i was told this program is better than SECUNIA...

they was no default language option in the drop down menu only around 10 other languages and no English, English is the most wildly used language in the world but secunia can not be bothered to use it in their program...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th May, 2012 21:53

Hello James ,

We are well off topic concerning the OP and the originator may decide to close the thread after her/his email box fills up with PSI spam .

Let me finish with two points : the basic language of the PSI and all international installers they use is English . So if the non-appearance/availability of English is/was as you say it was in your 3 Beta that was likely an idiosyncratic bug and/or something you would require the help of support to fix .

Apart from Secunia's OSI , PSI and CSI and SUMO , you should look at FileHippo , NiNite , CNET Tracker et al. and hopefully you will find a programme you can understand and feel happy when using it ; that is always the underlying criteria/best practice .

Be aware that all have theior pro's and con's , but in my experience (FWIW) , if you want to check if you have "vulnerabilities" in your installed programmmes and how to patch them (not always a given) then the Secunia PSI (or CSI) take some beating There used to be an excelent free programme - at least as good as the PSI - but it has gone hugely upmarket and is lost to my view .

Enjoy your research .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability