Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: QuickTime Version 7.72.80.56

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Apple
And, this specific program:
Apple QuickTime 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
troothteller QuickTime Version 7.72.80.56
Member 17th May, 2012 15:06
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
My Secunia shows the above patched; however, the updated version is no longer functional. It seems to work where the media is embedded into a web site; but it does not stream URL's, having tested it. Furthermore, it crashes with Windows wanting to send an error report to Microsoft. The error code QT frequently gives is 47. Occasionally I get 2048. I am trying to run it under XP Pro with default browser IE8. Anyone else have the problem?

--
troothteller

Anthony Wells RE: QuickTime Version 7.72.80.56
Expert Contributor 17th May, 2012 15:34
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

You may get a quicker response here :-

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/qui...

Take ca

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th May, 2012 15:38
Last edited on 17th May, 2012 15:40
Hi ,

You may get a quicker response here :-

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/qui...

Take care

Anthony

PS : excuse the double post ; system bug somewhere

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
troothteller RE: QuickTime Version 7.72.80.56
Member 17th May, 2012 21:57
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Dec 2010
Thanks for your reply; but I do not think I will obtain a response there. A matter of minor importance, but I do not have a MAC operating system. Besides, I believe, under another user name, I have unanswered threads as do others. Apple does not seem to employ technicians that are attentive to those who use their software. In this case, there are people who paid for their version of QT that are sorry they did. Since the problem is on an XP-Pro, perhaps there is an alternative to QT that does the same thing, being that the state of the art for MS is Windows 7.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th May, 2012 22:13

Hi ,

Your first post was clearly showing your use of XP .

I believe that the Forum link I gave you covers Windows as well as Mac , otherwise I would not have given it to you :eg: you can find this :-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926

As for other stuff , I gave up ITunes and QT a long time ago ; so , musically , I use Spotify running thru' my HiFi system whilst for viewing on my LCD Flat Screen TV there is plenty of choice depending on whether it is a freebie or you have cash to dissipate . On the cheap , DivX and VlC are fine for me with a K-Lite codec pack ; it's up to you to make yourself comfortable .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th May, 2012 23:24
Mr. Wells, thanks for getting back. I have DivX, though not sure if I need to add any Codecs to it. As for iTunes, I recognized it, as well as Safari, as causes of Blue Screens of Death. With QT, however, I thought it was mandatory to run Windows and IE. Considering all the trouble it has caused me on this XP system, I am willing to find a reasonable substitute. As long as I can stream and view my web, pages as intended, I would uninstall QT and use something else. If DivX can be adapted for the same purpose, then perhaps that program needs some tweaking.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th May, 2012 23:39
Last edited on 17th May, 2012 23:49
Hello again ,

The DivX embedded codec pack is fine/commensurate with the K-lite base equivalent , so it depends on your technical ability whether there are any tweaks that K-Lite offers ; I stupidly forgot to detail/mention the Media player Classic Home-Cinema that is offered with the Full pack and which should be enough to do the basics ***. I personally found QT much messier with little if any benefits . Each to his own .

***EDIT: if you use the "detailed default" install of K-lite you get the option to set WMP or MPC-HC as your viewer of choice . This resets/over-rides my Firefox viewer options ; as I do not use IE , I am not sure how you make detailed viewer settings should they be necessary/required in addition .

You probably would get most help if you can find a video/audio technical expert/friend to help with some of the finer points which can sometimes make a world of difference if you have good enough hardware .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th May, 2012 01:58
Mr. Well, thanks again. I just uninstalled QT and the Apple Software Updater. On some of the postings I saw, some users have Quicktime Alternative, which might have been in the back of my mind. Anyway, checking over my DivX, I did download the Codecs and Web Player, so it is just a matter of getting use out of them. I just found a page to download the K-lite Mega Codec Pack.. My XP computer has no alternative browsers; but my Windows 7 has Firefox, which plays some alternative to QT that Mozilla offerred. Anyway, on this computer, I hope DivX and K-lite kick in and work like QT. Thanks again. Now, it is just a matter of testing.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer