xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Electro911 Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 19th May, 2012 11:03
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi;
I'm an old IT tech and analyst... I need a dashboard of some kind ! :-) lol

I definitely do NOT like this "window with one icon on it" ! That's not a GUI ! lol
At least in the older version, we could click on things and see nore info etc...

Please give me a 'command switch' I can add in my PSI's shortcut, to see more.... not just an (almost) blank screen. :-) Brrrrr!

Thank you

suzy67 RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 21st May, 2012 06:35
Score: 1
User Since: 27th Jul 2009
System Score: 100%
I agree that the PSI Beta 3.0 is sort of bland and lacks access to more info. At first, I thought something was wrong! but, I think the developers, in an effort to make PSI simpler to use, have gone a bit to far with simplicity!!! I am guessing that since this beta version 3 is supposed to update "in the background", there is not as much a need for all the info that's available in 2.0 and what we are so used to seeing. I'm not so sure I like the new interface either! But, if it works like they say and think it will work, there really isn't a need for all that other information. Although, I like having access to the comparison chart. The settings link, too, in the beta version is quite slim. If I remember correctly, there were just 2 different choices, and in the stable 2.0 version, we had much more going in in the setting arena. I suppose the developers aren't fully completed with the beta version, although I read somewhere that they're predicting a release date for a stable version in June (which really isn't that far away!)

I still have the 3.0 Beta version on my computers, but so far, I have only scanned with it once. And, it was after I had already fixed what the 2.0 version had told me was missing. So, I got a Green-to-go score (a 100%)! We'll see how my next scan goes which I will be executing real soon...I just may have to change back to Secunia PSI 2.0 for the time being! :)

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop
Windows XP Pro/1 GB RAM-80 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome /IE8/Opera/Firefox (all current)
ClamAV/MBAM/WinPatrol/PCTools Firewall Plus

Acer One Aspire
Windows 7 Home Edition/1GB RAM-250GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome (current Beta version) /IE9/Firefox/Opera (all current)
Microsoft Security Essentials/WinPatrol/MBAM

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Electro RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 23rd May, 2012 03:52
User Since: 20th Jul 2011
Last edited on 23rd May, 2012 03:56
Yep; somehow it's disturbing... eh eh eh

V2
In V2, I also liked to see the full links of what triggerred a 'need to upgrade'

...That is very useful when PSI tries to update an app that has multi "versions" present on the PC. It detected an old version, where a new version exists also... so at least we knew which (file) to delete, to resolve the matter. lol

At least, we have succeeded in getting PSI to update itself, at last.

V3
Well... that last (first?) auto-update was a big shocker, right ? LMAO! (One icon in the whole apps!)

We also must have access to add "scan paths exceptions", too.

...and V3 hasn't crashed so far. But, there is VERY little indication while it's doing an update... one was taking so long, I was sure it had hung... but finally it finished..

And, thank you to the developpers. Sure is a useful application; saves me a lot of Internet searches to find the latest version of all apps !... :-)

We'll see in a couple of weeks, how it all turns out. :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+1
millwood RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 28th May, 2012 02:47
Score: 3
User Since: 14th May 2008
I am very disappointed in the new v3 UI. It's dumbed down alright. Displaying 176 (in my case) applications as icons with faint text below them does not make it easy to find things. And all the useful info about each app that 2.0 give me when I clicked is gone.

Settings - tiny text and check boxes in a pop up - come on!

What problem are you trying to solve here?
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Wimpy RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 28th May, 2012 07:52
Score: 2
User Since: 21st Dec 2010
I definitely agree with all of the above posters.

This version is "dumbed down" and I find it not very useful at all.

Version 2 gave much more info that a user could look at, review and determine just what needed to be updated and why.

Print on display of scanned programs is very faint and hardly readable.

I especially do not like the settings feature at all.

I am going back to version 2.o and sticking with it.

Thanks but no thanks on version 3.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
fasteddie0747 RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 3rd Jun, 2012 05:36
User Since: 23rd May 2010
For those that are not too Tech Savey this is simple for them but for those that have been use to seeing more details of the programs and exactly what's being scan is more conducive. to the corrections and patching that are being done.
I prefer a grid list or at least a option to switch from icon to grid list could be considered, if Secunia is trying to simplify for a beginner and yet cater to the more experience there should be a balance on the layout.
Personally, computer users like to see more detail information in what's being updated or patched.

--
fasteddie0747
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Jun, 2012 08:20
I did a scan the other day on my Win 7 laptop and it seemed to proceed quickly and did whatever it had to and then said everything was updated and current-100% score! But I realy didn't know if the program updated anything. Now I did notice that in the Beta 3.0 version for Win 7 there is at least 2 settings to "tweak" the program a little; one being to install the updates automatically or not to install them.

Today, I scanned my old HP desktop with XP Pro SP3 on it and when it was all done, it, too, said I was all patched and up-to-date, but I really don't know if it, too, updated any program! Then I noticed that the 2 setting choices available in the version for Win7 is absent from the version for XP! I am left with wondering "why"???

Well, I have used the Beta 3 version of PSI now for a few weeks, and I am not so sure that I like it as well as I thought I did! I think, like the others here, that the older version 2.0, is a much better program. Yes, the Beta 3 version is quite simple and great for beginners, but I am way beyond being just a beginner! want something I can "sink my teeth into"...a program like the older version 2.0 that is much more intuitive and informative. I feel it's a simple program and any beginner with half a brain can figure it out! There is really not any need to make PSI any simpler.

I think tomorrow I am going to uninstall the Beta PSI and re-install 2.0 PSI on both of my Windows' computers! I shall now wait until the 3.0 version comes out as stable and check it out then...wonder if Secunia still plans to release it this month (June)?

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jun, 2012 08:30
On another note, I just realized that I have been using Secunia PSI for close to three (3) years now!!! My, how time flies when you're having fun, as they say! I joined this forum in July 2009 and I began using the program in and around the same time period. I have been using Secunia PSI along with a couple other great (and free!) programs to keep my computers safe and secure and up-to-date during these past three years....and I haven't encountered any viruses, very little spyware has been detected, and none of my accounts/e-mail addresses have been compromised. So I am living proof that Secunia PSI is a crucial step to assure one's computer security.

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
fasteddie0747 RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 3rd Jun, 2012 09:44
User Since: 23rd May 2010
I agree it's great for the beginner but one that has more experience would like to see more visual in what's happening.
Also, they can add a grid list to either go back and forth from grid to icons but I think most would prefer the grid list.
Not bad of a job for beginners to use cause you have alot of people that are just getting their 1st computers that never had a chance to use a computer in school what I call the baby boomers from the 50's.

--
fasteddie0747
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wonkabear2 RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 4th Jun, 2012 23:22
Score: 11
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
Definitely do not like this new GUI. Hard to read - very light print. Does not provide any useful info in a gird pattern like version 2 did.

And I'm also wondering when you crank up PSI, does it automatically scan during the "loading" screen because the next pop up screen tells you that "All Your xxx Programs Are Up-To-Date". How would it know that unless it does an automatic scan while cranking up. Don't really like that. I would prefer it to crank up and then I tell it to do a scan if I want to.

Also, haven't been able to find a "check for updates" feature or button yet. Anyone else find it???

And unlike version 2, the opening screens and finally main screen is very drab and unappealing. Someone in the art department needs to jazz this thing up with some color and pizzazz.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm going fishing. TTFN

Bill.

--
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2012 00:37
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2012 00:41
Hello Bill ,

All versions of the PSI GUI display your/the last/previous scan results which are kept by Secunia on their server(s) . So there is no scan running whilst it cranks up ; the psia.exe process gets the relevant info for you and is in regular contact with the servers , the psi.exe runs the GUI .

Hi Suzy ,

As I have been busy elsewhere , your "other" thread has "auto" closed after seven days of non-use . Thanks for your offer , but I never use Facebook , Twitter or G+ ; nothing personal , I do not even do SMS's or have a portable 'phone , just the old fashioned fixed line 'phone as I get unlimited calls from my ISP .

Not sure it's a good idea to post you details in an open Forum , so you might want to mail support and get them to delete that "other" post ; however , I'm sure you know your own security best .

Drove thru' PA (many years ago) on a snowy January morning on my way from the frozen North (well Toronto) to the Keys - I did wave , but not sure if you saw me .

Did you see me in NC , Bill ??

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
uriah RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 8th Jun, 2012 20:29
User Since: 4th Aug 2010
I feel so strongly about these changes that I sent the following to support:(edited):
I have been enamoured of Personal Software Inspector since first using it more than 18 months ago after a recommendation from (source)
... Even though I have to reinstall occasionally when it refuses to scan... which is how I came to try out the beta 3 version.
I was sad to see that you have moved away from an interface that allows users to decide what level they wish to work on.
... the wait for the scan to occur without any progress information was horrible. Only to be confronted by a lot of pretty icons and installs to replace programs on a backup disk I had excluded. For example the over-zealous updater uninstalled a perfectly good quickime because I had an old version inside a back-up of my ... camera install CD.
I am aware that it is a beta, but your other beta programs were never so haywire.
I really enjoy to see the 100% and have followed your recommendations with pleasure.
Will there be a choice to remain with the good old style, will I still be able to use PSI2? I detest PSI3 in its current form....

--
uriah
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Haarek RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 10th Jun, 2012 13:47
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Aug 2009
Last edited on 10th Jun, 2012 13:55
I applaud Secunia for the new user interface, it's modern and simple (i also noticed a dramatic speed-improvement).

However there is a few reasons why I switched from Filehippo Update Checker to PSI, those mainreasons were that PSI gave me statistics. It was a lot more fun keeping the system up to date with PSI! Also, PSI could direct me to relevant support-forum if needed! I can't find any of these, to me vital, functions in PSI 3.0 so I have to agree with the above posters. Pretty, but overall I really dont like that you remove important functionality. I hope you will take our words into consideration before the final release.

Edit: I also miss the Secure Browsing tab.

Sincerely
Haarek
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eikelein RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 11th Jun, 2012 04:19
User Since: 2nd Jun 2008
Last edited on 11th Jun, 2012 04:20
That is about as bad an "update" as I have ever seen, right there on top together with Windows 8.
I refuse to be "dumbed down" that far!
At least give us a switch or an optional something like the old dashboard.
I am reverting to version 2!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jun, 2012 00:05
Well...I had to do it! I reverted back to Secunia PSI 2.0! Yes, i uninstalled Beta 3.0 and RE-installed 2.0! For one thing, on my desktop that uses XP, I couldn't find the little menu on the lower left corner of the page that tells you that you all programs are updated properly....on my Win 7 notebook, I can see and interact with a small menu in the lower left area of the window...two selections, one is to scan again and the other is to have your programs updated automatically....well, I could not find it on my XP computer! I didn't think of this until after I uninstalled, but perhaps the menu was hidden under my task bar? Nevertheless, I uninstalled, because I KNEW that I had programs that needed to be updated because I ran an Update Checker scan first and it reported 4 programs needing an update! Since I could not find a way to run a new scan, I put 2.0 version back and used it to scan my desktop. I left the new beta version, for now, on my laptop, since I at least can re-scan if it reports, what I believe, to be a wrong conclusion. I feel that Beta 3.0 really needs some additional work, as it appears that many of us aren't very pleased with it. Just wondering what's going on, because I think I read somewhere that the new version 3 would be released as stable sometime this month???

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
SCharbit RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 16th Jun, 2012 12:37
User Since: 26th May 2008
Does anyone here know if the developers are even reviewing what is being posted?

I agree with just about everything stated above in this thread but I think that it would be useful to start a v3 GUI Wishlist thread where suggestions could be collated. Is there one, and if not would it make any difference if we started one?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wonkabear2 RE: Beta 3.0 - No More user interface ?????????? At all ?
Member 16th Jun, 2012 15:05
Score: 11
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
I finally had to do as Susy67 did.....switch back to PSI Version 2.

There are far too many steps (clicks) to go thru to look at the information I would like to know before updating programs.

Also, can't seem to find anything to check for updates (manually) for PSI itself unless I do a scan on all programs.

I think that Secunia should combine the GUI from version 2 and version 3 and give users a choice as to how information is displayed.

And yes, I think there should be a "Version 3 Wishlist" started.

Ya''ll take care.....me - I'm going fishing.

Bill

--
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!!
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer