xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Wrong solution link for LibreOffice 3.5.3 upgrade?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
nitetalker Wrong solution link for LibreOffice 3.5.3 upgrade?
Member 25th May, 2012 14:35
Ranking: 0
User Since: 25th May, 2012
System Score: N/A
Secunia PSI flagged LibreOffice 3.5.1 as a threat. I followed the Install Solution link for the upgrade to LibreOffice 3.5.3 and Firefox downloaded the file LibreOffice_3.5.3_SPS.exe. When I executed this file, a process started, did not display a UI, and exited right away.

Whenever a process seems to do nothing, one suspects malware. I scanned the executable with AVG and it was clean. I then scanned the computer with AVG and it was clean.

I then went to the LibreOffice site http://www.libreoffice.org/download/, and downloaded the correct installer, LibO_3.5.3_Win_x86_install_multi.msi. I ran the installer and Secunia PSI detected the patch.

So all seems well now. Except it seems Secunia PSI's Install Solution link for LibreOffice is wrong. Please look into this.

I am running Win7 64-bit.

Thanks for all the fine work you do there.

Post "RE: Wrong solution link for LibreOffice 3.5.3 upgrade?" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Wrong solution link for LibreOffice 3.5.3 upgrade?
Expert Contributor 25th May, 2012 18:05
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

What you saw happening is what Secunia say is meant to happen when you set to run one of their SPS silent installers manually .

If you set "auto-updates" then this is not likely to be a problem as it is a set and leave alone situation , the SPS will do things in it's own good time . Sometimes it doesn't and that can be difficult to analyse/diagnose .

You are not the first to point to this apparently strange behaviour of a manual install using the SPS . Secunia support have not replied to any of the other threads I have monitored or posted to concerninhg this "problem" .

They are trying very hard to make a/the software update/patch system accessible to all via their PSI 3Beta(3) , but until they let the PSI "tell" us know what is going on and how to react WHEN things go wrong then are heading down a blind alley particularly where the less technically interested/competent are involved .

There is some control/knowledge of what is being ofered for download in the PSI 2.0.x but you only know it has been successful by running a FULL scan - after guessing whether/when/if the download/install has finished it's job .

IF the SPS was 100% effective and there were no FP/non-default/family heirloom detections then the whole world would rush to version 3 .Sadly this is NOT the case .

PS : Do not hold your breath for Secunia to comment - especially as it is now the weekend (CET) .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
nitetalker RE: Wrong solution link for LibreOffice 3.5.3 upgrade?
Member 25th May, 2012 19:05
Score: 0
User Since: 25th May 2012
Thanks for the explanation, Anthony. I'm using PSI 2 with Auto-Updating disabled. Auto-Updating didn't work well for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+