Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: KB2719615

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ddmarshall KB2719615
Dedicated Contributor 13th Jun, 2012 17:02
Ranking: 1210
User Since: 8th Nov, 2008
System Score: 98%
I applied Microsoft Fix it 50897 from KB2719615 to a Vista Business 32bit system.
When I tried to start the PSI 3.0 GUI there was a pop-up error message from Internet Explorer and the GUI hung on the loading screen.
Using Fix it 50898 to disable 50897 did not make any difference.
I used the System Restore point created by Fix it 50897 after which PSI 3.0 worked normally again.

Unless I was unlucky enough to hit a transient problem on the Secunia servers, it looks as if Fixit 50897 causes problems with PSI 3.0.
Fix it 50897 puts shims for MSXML on Internet Explorer into the Application Compatibility database.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.

Anthony Wells RE: KB2719615
Expert Contributor 13th Jun, 2012 21:32
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hello ddm ,

just run 3Beta 3 scan prior to getting the M$ patches . It gave me 100% green .

Reran and got the same ; so I came here to check other experiences . As I type the tray sounded off with the "pop-up" noise but I did not see any bubble appear .

The GUI was diminished to the tray , on (re)displying the GUI now gives me .NET 1 to 4 , IE8 and XP vulnerabilities and a red "contact support" for Java JRE 1.7.x .

In the "history" tab it shows a failure to update Java from 7.0.4.20 to 7.0.50.5 even though auto-updating is not enabled . It also has a sequence of failures to update PSI 2.x (actually shown also as 2.0.0.3) to 2.x between 2012-5-22 and 2012-5-29 ; I seem to remember you had this "bug" .

The only "correct" entry is two times on 2012-5-22 when I used the PSI manual link to open M$updates (twice) for the .NET 1.x update (special) .

Did you hear anything back from support ?? They don't seem to respond to much if anything unless prompted by Maurice ; certainly nothing on the "annoying" total silence of the SPS used manually . That is the real problem for , as 3Beta3 does what it says on the tin or , if it doesn't , it won't tell you directly .
The SPS stuff also applies to PSI 2.x but is vaguely more accessible .

Will see what I get by updating and reopening the GUI (probably after reboot) .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: KB2719615
Handling Contributor 13th Jun, 2012 21:45
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 13th Jun, 2012 21:58
Not sure how U are getting on with this.

The error is not occurring on my test PC which is Windows 7 32 Bit IE9 only.

BETA 3 set to auto update for test purposes.

I have not got EMET installed.

EDIT: Anthony - I noticed the JAVA issue - ran a full rescan & I note JAVA being updated as I type.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jun, 2012 23:01

Hello again ,

I did not find this KB offered for XP . I loaded all the 10 I was offered . During install the open PSI Gui was using 250Mo RAM and between 17 and 20% CPU , so I closed it .

Every minute or so the tray gave me a pop-up noise and every so often the bubble as well , with "Scan completed , you have manual updates" message ; I do not know if it is a bug or deliberate practice , but either way it is intensely annoying . It uses a minute amount of psia.exe and you have to close that to get any peace .

After , successful M$ updates install and reboot , I get the expected red PSI tray icon with all the vulnerabilities displayed , but with Java saying it is preparing to update !!! Hopefully this was a lie . After a new scan , M$ shows as correctly updated , leaving Java as before with it now offering a "manual update link" . Much as I hate this , I decided to run it . I got a (usual) Java splash screen (two) as normal , the second with an install link ; clicking this my Comodo told me (as it should) that a Java SPS installer was not recognised and that it was ready to attack my system , I cicked to "accept" and ....... nothing . Well nothing useful , the tray pop-up (still every minute or so) now tells me it is either preparing or updating - what is not specified and the GUI/psi.exe still uses loads of RAM and varies between displaying that it is preparing the update and that it is updating .

Using What's Running ? 3.0 , nothing shows other a flicker or two from the psia.exe and jqs.exe which is running JRE 1.7 U4 , no sign of U5 or anything involved with that update . That is 50 minutes and counting , as I am out of time I will go get U5 from Java website as any sane person would (have done in the first place).

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: KB2719615
Handling Contributor 13th Jun, 2012 23:08
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Anthony - The FIXIT KB is not being offered by MS via Windows update - U follow the trail in the Secunia Advisory.

JAVA Update - thought I had something nice to print about Version 3. Forget it - it failed to update & requested a report is sent to Secunia - got it from Oracle direct in "two shakes".

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jun, 2012 23:12
Hello Maurice ,

Ditto from Oracle . Will check WU when I get a chance ; will also catch up on your email and the Manual (hopefully :)))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: KB2719615
Dedicated Contributor 13th Jun, 2012 23:23
Score: 1210
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Hi Anthony,

KB2719615 doesn't come from Windows Update. It's a workaround for this Security Advisory:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/adviso... until Microsoft come up with an update. I installed it on my test machine to check for any side effects. I've been caught out by that sort of thing before.

I thought maybe having EMET installed at the same time might be a problem. It uses the AppCompat database as well. PSI has no problem running with EMET switched on for Internet Explorer.

Since I've also wasted time this week with the Firefox/Flash Player 11.3 problem, I'm probably not going to get around to doing any more testing for a while.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jun, 2012 23:35
Last edited on 13th Jun, 2012 23:59
Helloddm ,

Thanks for the details ; I will have a look and then decide .

The PSI went to green automatically after "my" Java install from Oracle and the "History" tab bizarrely shows a successful update - it has never before recorded one of my updates - so presumably it cannot differentiate in that I butted in on it's everlasting update and is offering "auto/self" congratulations .

Not sure what problems you had with Ff and Flash 11.3.x other than the total disappearance of any NPAPI display for a few days :(( Was your problem in PSI 2 or 3 - mine was in 3 but Mynahbird had the problem in 2 (in another thread ) ??

EDIT : OK , just saw your/the Ff problem thread ; luckily I'm on XP !! Going back to the older Flash version sounds highly dubious ; surely using another browser such as Google Chrome would be a better temporary fix .

I do not use IE other than when the PSI or M$ updates need it , so I won't FixIt for now : even then , it's also probably less dangerous than Ff with old Flash , unless you use EMET and a good sandbox - more recent versions of "sandboxie" have drop your rights settings .

Like you said , too much hassle for not a lot of music (to my ears) .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Jun, 2012 15:40

Hello again,

Just to conclude , I have seen all I need to see with the 3Beta3 and gone back to 2.0.0.3003 where the MSXML vulnerability and relevant SA show up in the "Secure Browsing" module and of course the Beta left me more in the dark than usual .

My (non)use of IE probably does not merit the workaround for now ; will keep an eye on it .

The roll back was excellent and I even have the weird and wonderful download history (from the Beta) available

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer