Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI uninstalled Java

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Jesant13 Secunia PSI uninstalled Java
Member 13th Jun, 2012 21:58
Ranking: -3
User Since: 10th Sep, 2009
System Score: 100%
Today I ran a full system scan using the copy of Secunia PSI version 2.0.0.4003. After the scan completed, it reported that there was one insecure program on my computer. I checked the scan results and saw that Java was insecure. The Secunia PSI automatically was doing what I thought was updating Java. I even saw a Java installation window come up. It eventually disappeared and after a while I no longer saw Secunia PSI working on Java.

I thought Java had been updated without a problem until I went to a website that uses Java. It reported that it didn't look like Java was installed on my computer. I then got suspicious, so I looked in Add/Remove Programs and Java wasn't listed. Later I went to the Java website and Firefox said I needed an additional plug-in. I then realized that Secunia PSI had uninstalled Java and had not reinstalled it.

I am using version 13.0 of Firefox. I checked Windows Update and I have confirmed that no updates are available for my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Post "RE: Secunia PSI uninstalled Java" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI uninstalled Java
Expert Contributor 14th Jun, 2012 00:28
Score: 2425
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi ,

I/We brought up some of the problems associated with Java updating not being completed correctly using the PSI's silent SPS installers in this thread - scroll down :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/127...

In your case and possibly mine/ours , the uninstall bit of the process may have worked but not the install bit . Were you updating JRE or JDK and was it version 1.6 or 1.7 ??

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jesant13 RE: Secunia PSI uninstalled Java
Member 14th Jun, 2012 01:25
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Sep 2009
I know I had Java SE installed, and I think it was version 6.x because there is a folder on my computer named jre6.

Do you think I should wait until Secunia fixes the problem? I know of only one website I use that uses Java (it is required in order to run a packet loss test.) I just don't want to install Java and then have Secunia PSI remove it and not replace it with an updated version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI uninstalled Java
Expert Contributor 14th Jun, 2012 01:50
Score: 2425
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi again ,

The problem updating Java is far from new and Secunia support have not provided any information which would give me confidence in their being able to resolve or work with the problem in the pSI . I do not have W7 but the same applies to all in the case of Java .

If in ADD/REMOVE you cannot see any Java (TM) , SE , JDK , JRE or the like entries and a full PSI scan does not show anything in "scan results" as Sun Java 6 or Oracle Java 7 then you are secure and have no installation of Java . As a further check you could look in Program Files->java->jre6 to sse if you can find anything .

Then , as you say you need Java , go here and get Java 7 Update 5 : note : Oracle are suggesting everyone uses 7 ; if your site still needs 6 to run you can get that later ;-

http://www.java.com/en/

Do not let the PSI update your Java . Deselect "aut-update" for it or select "prompt before updating" in your settings module . Do not use/select anty manual insqtall option either , like I always do , use the website I have linked for you . If you wish to have more detailed info look here :-

http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/java/overvie...

Late for me so I'm off to bed . If you have any queries I'll try to check back tomorrow (CET) .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jesant13 RE: Secunia PSI uninstalled Java
Member 14th Jun, 2012 05:41
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Sep 2009
I have decided not to reinstall Java. As I said earlier, I used it on one website for a packet loss test to be able to work. I don't think that is important enough to reinstall Java. I have Adobe Flash Player on my computer, as well as Microsoft Silverlight, and I think that is enough for me at the moment. Thank you for your help. I hope Secunia is eventually able to determine why Secunia PSI uninstalled Java and didn't install a newer version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability