Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 issues

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
humbug12 PSI 2.0 issues
Member 26th Jun, 2012 23:26
Ranking: 2
User Since: 26th Jan, 2012
System Score: N/A
Please don't get me wrong, but these issues have been bugging me for a long time and I've been with PSI since 1.0.

It is a big pain that the width of the program name column (in scan results) is much too wide by default.

It is also a bigger pain that the width of the Install Solution column is narrow because when the entry is not 'Up to date' then I really want to see the whole text of the entry in that column.

It is yet another pain that things like Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR, when flagged as insecure, apparently cannot be automatically updated when given permission by me. Instead is says 'Update Delayed - program in use'. While that may be true, it is not obvious how to make the update proceed. Expanding each of those and double-clicking the magic line offers a few options. The one labelled Instal Solution simply downloads the update in my browser and the update files seem to have _SPS tagged to their filenames (before .exe). However, when I try to run those _SPS .exe files, absolutely nothing happens and the program remains marked insecure even if I close and restart PSI 2.0.

The final pain I want to complain about is that as well as the 'Update delayed' for those Adobe items, there were three others: two for Java updates for x86 and x64 and also one for Winamp which were also marked as 'Update delayed - program is in use' even after I downloaded the AIR and Flash Player updates from Adobe and applied them (after closing PSI and then restarting it afterwards).

I hope these issues will be fixed in PSI 3.0. PSI is a great program, but it really puts a strain on my faith in Secunia that these issues have existed for seemingly such a long time.

muffin RE: PSI 2.0 issues
Member 28th Jun, 2012 04:06
Score: 3
User Since: 30th Oct 2008
System Score: 98%
i'm having a problem with PSI 2.0. first, i could not open it. just hung uip trying to make an internet connection. my computer was otherwise working fine. i could access the internet. i decided to uninstall PSI and re-install it. all that went fine. tonight, however, when i put my cursor over the green secunia icon in my task bar, it says i have a 100% score but when i open PSI no scan has been done. there are no scan results. when i manually run the scan. it still comes up with nothing. no scan results. no programs listed. what is going on???? does anyone have a suggestion for me?

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
humbug12 RE: PSI 2.0 issues
Member 28th Jun, 2012 17:52
Score: 2
User Since: 26th Jan 2012
Hi,
How long did you wait for PSI 2.0 to access the internet? - I found that sometime it can take about a minute or so before the progress bar showing it trying for access runs to the end? I got used to this behaviour and it didn't bother me after a while.

Another possibility could be that your personal firewall on the same computer may be silently preventing PSI 2.0 from accessing the internet. I can't help much with this as there are so many personal firewall products out there.

All the best with making progress with your issues.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jun, 2012 04:31
i waited several minutes. it was definitely hung up.

i have used secunia for several years with the same firewall. there's nothing different about my firewall.

i think secunia is having a problem.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jun, 2012 04:37
i just opened psi and it's fine now. guess the thing to do is wait 24 hours.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 2.0 issues
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2012 11:19
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Humbug ,

Your points on version 2 have been raised before , so I doubt that Secunia will do much to the GUI now that they are working/concentrating on version 3.

The SPS work (or don't) exactly as you are experiencing ; you still need to exit all browsers etc for Flash update to run .

Hi Muffin ,

The GUI display you had is consistent with a problem at the Secunia end of the servers . Nothing one can do but wait for Secunia to fix their end .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
humbug12 RE: PSI 2.0 issues
Member 1st Jul, 2012 13:13
Score: 2
User Since: 26th Jan 2012
Anthony,
Thanks for your update. I don't mean to flame you, I do appreciate your help.

The SPS items requiring other programs to close need to tell me which programs they want me to close. In the case of the Flash update - it was the Active X update and I use Firefox 13 which uses the netscape Flash, so it didn't occur to me to close Firefox.

It's being said elsewhere, but the PSI 3.0 seems a very dumbed down replacement for PSI 2.0. I hope the devs re-introduce the advanced view of PSI in 3.0 soon. My feeling is that the PSI 3.0 over-simplified user interface has detracted from my need to understand sufficiently why updates have been issued and whether I wish to apply them or not.

Again, I appreciate your response. No need to comment further, I just wanted to get a few things off my chest.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability