Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
AJNorth PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 28th Jun, 2012 18:53
Ranking: 12
User Since: 20th Aug, 2008
System Score: N/A
Alas, Secunia chose to ignore the many beta testers who pleaded that PSI 3.0, at the very least, included an "expert" mode (similar to the feature in PSI 1.5); that they did not will lead a substantial number of current users to continue with v2.0 -- and with the link offering a download of the previous version having now been eliminated, many potential new users will simply eschew what was once a must-have application.

Hopefully, Secunia will at least once again offer the previous version of the PSI, if not add an "expert" mode to v3.

taylocla RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 28th Jun, 2012 18:59
Score: 5
User Since: 24th Jun 2010
What was "expert" mode?
Was this reply relevant?
+4
KingTutt RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 28th Jun, 2012 19:08
Score: 44
User Since: 11th Sep 2008
I fully agree with that. The overview with the different icons is more complicated than the old list view and the relevant details are missing when looking for details. Further on no links are provided to the Secunia Advisories and so one. I will switch back to version 2.
Was this reply relevant?
+26
AJNorth RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 28th Jun, 2012 19:08
Score: 12
User Since: 20th Aug 2008
As one might infer, the "expert" mode in v1.5 of the PSI was for the more technically inclined; it provided additional detailed information and configurability.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
KingTutt RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 28th Jun, 2012 19:11
Score: 44
User Since: 11th Sep 2008
Here is a link to the older version.

Version 2.0.0.4003 (Supported) http://secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+18
Member 28th Jun, 2012 19:21
Last edited on 28th Jun, 2012 19:47
THANK YOU!

I was not able to locate that link at Secunia's site, and shall make it known to the Editor of the relevant page at Gizmo's Freeware (https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-softwar...).
Was this reply relevant?
+2
taylocla RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 28th Jun, 2012 19:49
User Since: 24th Jun 2010
on 28th Jun, 2012 19:08, AJNorth wrote:
As one might infer, the "expert" mode in v1.5 of the PSI was for the more technically inclined; it provided additional detailed information and configurability.

I would infer that expert mode meant a command line interface, which I would prefer. Thanks for the explanation though.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
music_test RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 28th Jun, 2012 19:53
Score: 24
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
Last edited on 28th Jun, 2012 19:56
I can feel with you ... i've never tested any beta of ver 3 before i decided to try the new version today.

- very confusing gui
- as you wrote "no expert mode"
- lots of programs missing

now it's a tool for dummies ... but not useful for me anymore, and nothing to recommend and advise to others
Was this reply relevant?
+20
Member 28th Jun, 2012 20:02
Fortunately, as KingTutt kindly shared above, the previous version of the PSI (2.0.0.4003) continues to be available -- and supported.
Was this reply relevant?
+7
music_test RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 28th Jun, 2012 20:08
Score: 24
Last edited on 28th Jun, 2012 20:26
I know were the old version is for download ... but who says, that this version will be supported?

And why is this version presented as a further development? Less features, with mess(Who wants to share on facebook? ... what a silly idea to share security risks) but more colorful?
Now its a completely new product ... should get new name
Was this reply relevant?
+4
wr RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Contributor 28th Jun, 2012 21:34
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Hi all

FWIW there never was a 'expert mode' in the 'old'
versions of the PSI. You had a choice of Simple Mode or
Advanced Mode.

Furthermore if you look @ the Signature line of Maurice Joyce, a very well respected & knowledgeable contributor on this Forum, he has links posted to the available supported versions that Secunia offers.

Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+5

wr

RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Handling Contributor 28th Jun, 2012 22:01
Score: 11569
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
For those concerned about older versions being supported this may help.

SUPPORT FOR OLDER VERSIONS OF PSI

This information was released by a Secunia Official on this Forum on 28th March 2012 in answer to a query.

"PSI 2.x and 1.x are still supported, and will be with no current plans to discontinue them"

This statement is further supported by an entries in the FAQ referring to Troubleshooting for Version 1,2 & 3 here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Update 6 20:55 28/06/2012

Under my Signature Block are the download links for the 3 versions.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+12
wrkstfrx1 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 13:38
Score: 13
User Since: 16th Jul 2011
Agree that 3.0 is a disappointment for me, too.

Miss the list format (beats the display in icon format!), the statistics were nice too. Advanced mode is also missing, unfortunately.

Like the history, though. Like the selection of languages too.

Does selecting German give you an automatic update of Firefox in the German version or will you receive it in English? That happend to me once in 2.0, since then I updated Firefox manually without Secunia.

I'll try 3.0 for a while, if I'm still dissappointed, I'll go back to 2.0.

Was this reply relevant?
+3
weisbm RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 15:12
Score: 6
User Since: 20th Dec 2011
I was not in the Beta, but I am going to give the new PSI a week or so to see if I can put up with some of the lost abilities. 3.0 might be a good option for my less tech savvy clients, but I really miss the list mode, and the details that were available in 2.0.

Perhaps 3.0 is a "bridge" release to a more refined and complete 3.1? (He asks hopefully)
Was this reply relevant?
+7
henryg RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 16:50
Score: 14
User Since: 23rd May 2009
Installed...uninstalled v3. I will stick with v2. Very sad that v3 is so poor.
Was this reply relevant?
+14
Ruthroff RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 17:01
Score: 10
User Since: 27th Jun 2009
System Score: 98%
I agree. Tried the beta and immediately went back to 2.0. In their effort to idiot-proof the program, they have lost all functionality for me, and I suspect any experienced user. Sad.

--
Chuck
Was this reply relevant?
+10
jschling7 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 17:30
User Since: 4th Mar 2010
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 17:35
I am disappointed, too :-((
I see no option to exclude applications anymore
I have no option to schedule a scan weekly (or whatever)
I cannot see "what version" of a program is installed
I cannot see any statistic (not really neccessary, but at least very "interesting"

At least I am able to use my old/normal Windows user account again for scanning. Since the last virus"problem" around 2 years ago the PSI-agent was not connecting to the Secunia server anymore with my defaultz Windows user account, only runs on a different user correctly. So I will not downgrade again but I hope especialy from the replies here, that there will be an update soon

Taking a look at the user accounts posting in this thread is interesting *g*
This is my first post in the forum, as I had no reason to join the forum before. The usability might not be perfect on PSI < 3.0 but it was possible to understand the way the software works and shows problems.
Obviously I am not the only one thinking that way :-)) many users here in the thread with 1-5 postings in the forum. (but I must admit: at least I was not aware of the forum, the former PSI version does not show sutch a function.
Was this reply relevant?
+5
wrkstfrx1 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 17:40
User Since: 16th Jul 2011
Changed my mind, uninstalled 3.0, reinstalled 2.0, this is much better!
Was this reply relevant?
+10
JoeHastings RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 17:52
Score: 11
User Since: 29th Jun 2012
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 17:56
Thanks for the link to PSI v2. I've had one quick look at v3.0 and gone straight back.

I agree with many others on this thread - I really don't like the new version. I prefer the tabular form of the Scan Results on v2.0, the ability to quickly view the detail on a particular file, the links to Secunia Advisories, and the Secure Browsing option (this gives a quick heads up on which browsers have issues and allows you to choose).

I appreciate the desire to "make things simple" but please keep the more advanced functionality and allow people to choose whether or not to use it.
Was this reply relevant?
+11
steffens RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 18:04
Score: 42
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 18:06
on 29th Jun, 2012 17:30, jschling7 wrote:
... I see no option to exclude applications anymore ...

There IS a way to exclude particular apps in PSI 3. Watch the "PSI 3.0 Walkthrough" video:
http://youtu.be/iUmaLmO0gx0

What isn't obvious, based on the limited available documentation, is whether there is an easy way to exclude ENTIRE SUBDIRECTORIES, i.e. the crufty contents of the so-called "restore" directory that HP factory-installed on my partner's ancient laptop. That directory has literally DOZENS of obsolete apps in it, but once I found the relevant option settings, it was trivial to get PSI 2 to ignore it completely. Unclear if there is similar functionality in PSI 3, and I'd hate to have to go through and tediously deselect each and every one of those apps using the procedure shown in the PSI 3 video. (Suppose I could just delete the entire subdirectory, but I'm very reluctant to do that, since I have no clue what might break if I do.)

Anyways... Loss of that and other "expert" functionality means I'm sticking with PSI 2 for the foreseeable future.
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+2
RayG RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 18:06
User Since: 14th Feb 2008
I agree that this appears to be a backward step - but you can right click and icon for some of the detail.

this is on an application by application basis and does not allow a list.

A real shame that the detail interface is missing and that you cannot appear to "manage" are auto updates active or not or if it is set to "ask".

I hope that the next update fixes these and other reported issues and that it not too long arriving.

It also appears that the systray icon is missing that was always a good pointer to the state of your system.

--
Regards

RayG
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Toonser RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 18:11
User Since: 15th Jul 2009
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 18:12
In common with others I upgraded to 3.0 when I received the email. I took an immediate dislike to the icon display and tried to find a way to switch back to the list display, with my only discovery being that right clicking on an icon opens a menu with a limited subset of the 2.0 functionality. I've reverted to 2.0 ...

on 29th Jun, 2012 13:38, wrkstfrx1 wrote:
Like the history, though.

2.0 has a link to the same information on the dashboard's Auto-Update History line.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
nonuser RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 18:17
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 18:24
Huge disappointment indeed. The video clip says their goal is to simplify, which is fine for those who want simple, but why can't those who want to get "under the hood" continue to have that option? I too went back to v.2, and what a relief to see the familiar detail!
Was this reply relevant?
+6
acw8911 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 18:26
Score: 9
System Score: 97%
Until now I have loved PSI. It addresses a vulnerability often over-looked on Windows boxes as most people are aware of the Windows updates but leave themselves open by not updating the other applications on their PC.

---

Here are my immediate negative impressions.

No expert mode.

Can only list apps in "icon mode" . I NEVER use ICON listings on anything as its
a waste of space and looks terrible.

There appear to be NO way to change the view or get the complex
presentation you had in 2.0.

---

PLEASE .. if you want the simplified mode -- fine. But give those of us that are not intimidated by the previous complex views the OPTION to turn them back on.

I have gone back to 2.0 and await the enlightenment that may be brought about by listening to user feedback.

>^..^<

--
>^..^<
On the Road of LIfe - May the light traffic be yours ...

Was this reply relevant?
+9
pimjoosten RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 18:28
Score: 15
User Since: 7th Jan 2011
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 18:29
Yep, me too. I installed 3.0, took a quick look at it and immediately returned to 2.0 after I had read that that version is still supported. All the reasons have been discussed enough in the previous posts. I do however want to say that I do not consider myself to be simple nor dumb, so I will not use oversimplified programs or programs made for dummies. I am sorry to say that version 3.0 is not an improvement at all.
Was this reply relevant?
+15
msmulian RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 18:39
Score: 11
User Since: 5th Sep 2009
I can only agree with all the above - this is a severely retrograde step.
No detail, no drill down, those ghastly icons, etc., ad inf., ad nauseam....

I am going back to 2.0.

Please Secunia, by all means have the 'pretty' interface for those that want it, but add back the user functionality for the rest of us.
Was this reply relevant?
+11
bhenshaw RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 19:14
Score: 18
User Since: 29th Apr 2009
System Score: 93%
I agree also. I've been using Secunia for quite a few years and really liked it. Version 3 however is a total disaster. I'll be sticking with Version 2 for now and looking for alternatives to come along. I think Secunia really shot themselves in the foot with this release.
Was this reply relevant?
+7
wephenn1 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 19:22
System Score: 87%
I am extremely disappointed in the 3.0 release. Lack of functionality, loss of detail. What are you thinking. I am going back to 2.0 immediately!
Was this reply relevant?
+10
oididit RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 19:50
Score: 8
I have to agree. As a long time Secunia PSI user, I have to admit that 3 is a big steaming pile. This is software for those without a brain function. I have removed 3 and have gone back to 2. If 2 stops working, I'll just wing it on my own. Anything is better than 3.

Hopefully, Secunia will be smart enough to dump this piece of garbage and bring out 4 very soon with some sort of expert mode and much better coding. 3 is also very slow when compared to 2. Or maybe they could just dump 3 and revert back to 2 after issuing an apology for insulting it's user base with this horrendous software.
Was this reply relevant?
+8
Xaemyl RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 19:56
User Since: 7th Jul 2008
I have to agree. 3.0 is a huge step backwards. I immediately uninstalled 3.0, and went back to 2. Kudos for posting the link to the old version!
Was this reply relevant?
+10
Digerati RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 19:59
Score: 30
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
I add my voice to the disappointed. A big let-down.

I guess in terms it's purpose, I have no complaints - it worked - though it still takes way too long to open - I have a decent machine and it still takes 20 seconds. That still seems like a long time to me - especially since according it's own system tray icon, it already knows the status of my programs.

I liked the old UI with the time graph of my status. Now, when viewing the "all programs" status page, the only way to see the one check "computer" status page again is to scan again. I don't really understand that. And the only history I can get is of Adobe products, but I have nothing selected. ??? I think there's a bug or two in there.

And the lack of some sort of advanced mode or advanced features is the nail in the coffin for me.

Make something idiot proof, fine. But don't treat me like one.
Was this reply relevant?
+9
TR66 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 20:04
Score: 17
User Since: 9th Sep 2009
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 20:08
You can add me to the ever growing list of unhappy users. I also tried PSI 3.0 briefly today; and yes ... it is a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! It's been dumbed down to the point of almost being useless, as far as I'm concerned.

In addition to all the other complaints about the overly simplified user interface (which I also absolutely abhor), what happened to the key information regarding the actual security vulnerabilities? In PSI 2.0, the listed info included the Threat Rating (aka Criticality Level) of each out-of-date program, as well as a direct link to the relevant Secunia Advisory Notice.

For example, PSI 2.0 would let you know that the detected version of Apple iTunes is version 10.6.1.7, which is Insecure with a Threat Rating of 4 (Orange / "hacker can typically use this to gain full control..."). And it also included a direct link to the Secunia Advisory Notice, SA49489, where you could get all the pertinent details about the actual vulnerabilities with the app.

With this new brain-dead PSI 3.0, all of these details are hidden from the user. It seems especially ironic that the new SECUNIA PSI 3.0 doesn't include links to the SECUNIA ADVISORY Notices anymore! What a major omission!

I've uninstalled PSI 3.0; and gone back to the most recent 2.0 version. And you can be sure that I WON'T be recommending the 3.0 version to any of my colleagues or other users. What a major step backwards. Whoever approved this 3.0 release had their head up their butt!

--
Tom R. (Colorado)
Was this reply relevant?
+17
jhvance RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 20:29
Yep...like many (most?) other users who have posted here, I very quickly uninstalled v3 and have reinstalled v2. The UI alone was sufficient to send the level of distaste for the new version into hyperdrive....

One good thing I will say about it, however, is this -- when the installation executable went through its process of first uninstalling the older version, it recognized and honored my preference NOT to have automatic updates enabled as that box was already unchecked (rather than the standard default) when the new version was subsequently installed.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Trilobite RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 20:55
User Since: 22nd Jul 2008
Agree.... Me too, will switch back to version 2.0 until availability of some kind of v. 2.0 expert mode...
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Trilobite RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 20:58
User Since: 22nd Jul 2008
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 21:00
Fully agree with pimjoosten
29th Jun, 2012 18:28...
Valuable arguments
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 21:34
Couldn't agree more! It's a very poor improvement of version 2. I personally found it shambolic with the various software programmes making it look like a patchwork quilt. It totally lacks all what was good with the earlier version.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Ginko29 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 21:36
User Since: 18th Apr 2010
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 21:38
I switched back to the 2.0 version too.
The 3.0 interface is way too simplified and as a result, a lot of information is missing. It feels like a step down.
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Dr Bill RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 22:04
Score: 2
User Since: 7th Oct 2010
3.0 stinks
I'm lucky I store copies on external hard drive. I had 2.0 to put back.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
sexauerwl RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 22:05
Score: 7
User Since: 12th Sep 2010
Count me as another who can't stand the "improved" version 3.0 and who will switch back to 2.0 immediately! The icon format is ugly, hard to read, lacking detail and wasteful of screen space. And all of the customization features of the previous version are gone. One size does NOT fit all and 3.0 is not my size.
Was this reply relevant?
+7
jimayo RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 29th Jun, 2012 23:22
Score: 22
User Since: 8th Sep 2010
I tried the Beta and was hoping for something closer to 2.0. The final was a little better but it still is not functional for my needs. I have reverted to 2.0 and will hang on as long as it is supported.
PSI 2.0 is a great program but 3.0 is a big disappointment.

Jim
Was this reply relevant?
+4
ManFromOz RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 00:30
Score: 14
User Since: 6th Jun 2012
No Secunia, no!

2.0 for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Fallrug46 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 00:31
Score: 4
System Score: 86%
I also agree.
Why did Secunia remove the expert level on the personel version.
The new icon view is just bad.
No real information there at all, not even for a first time user.
What does Secunia have to say about the changes, is it to cut out the extras to get us to purchase the version or what?
I'm sorry they did this to the new version, I found the program very good and was looking forward to the next version, (that I now regret).
I'll be going back to the previous version unless they make changes.
Hope they rethink this version.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
dcarter RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 00:56
User Since: 13th Oct 2009
The dumbed-down 3.0 is a disaster - Filehippo is a much better alternative than this.

I can't see what the point of the update is: The usability of 3.0 is far worse and it has many less features. The only extra "features" I could see were social sharing. WTF! Who needs that?

Fortunately version 2 still works.

I hope Secunia will take notice of the feedback in this thread and adds back into future versions what they took out in 3.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+5
ImSeeker RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 01:53
Score: 3
User Since: 20th Nov 2008
Add me to the list of disappointed folks. I upgraded to 3.0 and have already gone back to the (better) 2.0.

It's never fun when functionality is removed from a product. Maybe a sign they'll release a pay for product with 2.0 functionality?

Given this direction, I won't be paying for it. I might have had they done this differently, but simply releasing a crippled 3.0 won't work for me.

I'm back on 2.0
Was this reply relevant?
+3
throkr. RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 02:00
Score: 72
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
I will absolutely stick to version 2 (2.0.0.4003) as new version 3 does not offer :

- advanced mode
- alphabetical detailed list of the scan results (the new icon list is really not comfortable)
- secure browsing option (which I find very useful and was a great feature of version 2)
- possibility to stop a scan

BTW, there is a problem with this new version 3 : after installation, PSI detects version 3.0.0.2004 , the *.exe file of the installation folder says 3.0.0.2004 BUT right-clicking on the systray icon, "About" mentions version 3.0.0.2003 ..... Rather confusing ... :-(

Definitively : the actual version 3 is really nothing for me !

--
Win 8.1.1 Pro x64

OSS Pro - MBAM Pro - SAS Pro - Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003)
Mozilla Firefox - Cyberfox (x64) - SRWare Iron

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+3
redryder508 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 02:19
User Since: 24th Dec 2007
Tried 3.0 - it pegged the cpu but did nothing useful. Rebooted and got the same. Went back to 2.0 which just runs, gives me a nice way to drill to program in question, has a clean advanced user mode. And runs a lot faster than 3.0.

3.0 looks like a half backed Apple app for a touch screen.

Regards,
Was this reply relevant?
+2
feising RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 04:24
User Since: 10th Oct 2008
Total Disappointment with 3.0 Have been using PSI for years and was very happy with it. Thought it was an excellent and useful program till 3.0 came out. Struggled with it for a few hours then decided to look in the Forum to see what gives. It's practically unanimous. 3.0 is a disaster. Switched back to 2.0 and was glad it's still available and supported. I sure hope Secunia monitors the Forum and withdraws 3.0., but I wouldn't count on it. Very few people want to admit to failure.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
markhoff RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 05:26
User Since: 30th Aug 2009
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2012 05:26
Fully agree to the previous comments. V3 is crippled, most features were removed. Switched back to V2 which is much better, in case that V2 will no longer be supported I will click the uninstall button ...
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Viking RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 05:55
User Since: 18th Dec 2007
I too will stick with version 2. The simplified GUI of version 3 is not for me. After watching the YouTube video, I was turned off. Reading the comments of others here and elsewhere confirms it.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
darien217 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 07:22
User Since: 22nd Jul 2009
I whole heartily agree with the rest of the comments in this thread. The purpose of the application is to give informed results for keeping a user's machine safe from vulnerabilities. The new version might do the same job as the previous version when it comes to auto-updating, however it doesn't help in many other aspects.

Historical Data. -> There's no history tracker to know that a machine might of been exposed for months on end before a friend launched the app and it auto-updated all third party applications.

Secure Browsing is Gone -> No option to enable it. Secunia PSI 3 tells me everything is up to date, Secunia PSi2 also tells me the same, both report my computer at a 100% secunia system score. The only difference is that version 2 tells me that browsing is not safe with either browser due to another Adobe Flash exploit. In this case both browsers are even in threat level, however many other times one would win over the other, quite helpful to know for online transactions and peace of mind.

Version 3 needs an option to toggle between two mods of interface. Mode similar in information from PSI 1 and 2 and the defualt icon layout grid.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
SuffolkPunch RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 09:12
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Installed it, and was hugely disappointed, so reverted to the previous version.

Why? Because version 3's much simplified user interface has removed most of the detailed information that was so useful when you needed it! Info such as location of detected instances, version, auto-update history, links to Secunia info on the program, link to the program's page etc.

I would have liked version 3 if it had offered an 'expert' mode with version 2's functionality. What a missed opportunity to address the needs of the existing security-aware users whilst making it simpler for new-comers to use.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Johnnice RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 11:00
User Since: 17th Feb 2010
I'm back to V.2
John
Was this reply relevant?
+3
GeoffWy RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 11:27
User Since: 30th Jun 2012
Tried V3.0 and went straight back to V2.0. Hope Secunia will continue to support V2.0.

Like others I miss:
- the compact list view - icon views are horrible, take too much space and are much harder to scan for what you want
- the advanced mode
- the level of detail about each app, which is so easily accessible in V2.0
- the graphs showing system score and patches over time

Also V3.0 seemed slower to me.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Bichon RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 12:37
User Since: 12th Jun 2010
Not since the launch of "New Coke" in the mid-eighties has a company so completely misjudged the wants and desires of its customers and so disappointed its most loyal supporters.

Like many others here, I wish to be actively involved in maintaining the security of my system. I appreciated the color-coded threat ratings, the links to vulnerability reports, and the rich feature set and customization options of the previous version. I echo the sentiments of other posters here that PSI 3.0 is a HUGE step backwards, and implore the decision makers at Secunia to return the power-user features to the current version of the product. Until they do, I've re-installed 2.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 30th Jun, 2012 13:03
As a complement to my first comment above (dd. 30th Jun, 2012 02:00), I noticed another useful option missing in PSI 3 :

- possibility to rescan one program only (after an update); with version 3, you have to rescan completely ... :-(

--
Win 8.1.1 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+3
benb2012 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 14:41
Thanks for the links to the older versions.

Secunia PSI 3.0 is the very first application upgrade I have ever uninstalled from my PC two minutes after installing it. Went back to version 2.0 without giving it another thought.

'Simplification' here means cutting out half of the functionality and changing a perfectly good GUI that was fit for purpose into something ugly and much less effective.

It is quite a disappointment, after having enjoyed this excellent and mature free support program for keeping my system patched and up to date for a long time.

I sincerely hope this was an incidental, though HUGE mistake, not the first sign of an entire change in company policy for the product. Is the PSI [i]user[\i] profile perhaps not as clear to those involved in the development of version 3.0, as the software profiles monitored?

While I still am a champion for Secunia PSI as such, I sincerely hope this will [\]not[\i] be the future for this excellent service, for all those who wish to maintain online security for all of us, by not becoming an easy target or hub for malware on the web.

Regards,
B. Benus
Was this reply relevant?
+5
billegate RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 17:07
User Since: 5th Jan 2008
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2012 17:09
I join the crowd of disappointed people.Secunia never asked users opinion before launching such a modified version? This V3 stayed less than 24 hours on my computer. back to v2

--
billegate
Was this reply relevant?
+3
aartw RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 18:31
Score: 0
User Since: 25th Jun 2009
psia.exe eats my CPU for 99% more than an hour.
Killed it, deleted PSI3

Aart
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ColumbusCISSP RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 19:21
I fully agree. PSI 3.0 is a downgrade. It is difficult to get information quickly and there is no option to go to a list mode which would help. I'm glad I had v2 saved. I used PSI 3.0 for one day and it is now history.

--
ColumbusCISSP
Was this reply relevant?
+2
ENAR RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 20:44
User Since: 19th Feb 2008
I agree. Why waste all of that screen real estate with huge icons? Offer an optional alternative interface that users can employ to gain better control over the process. For example, some indicators of out-of-date files actually refer to orphan installations that merely need to be deleted.

Listen to your user base.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
ENAR RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 21:00
User Since: 19th Feb 2008
Thanks for the information about Secunia's contninuing support of Version 2. 3's gone already, and 2 is back in place. Maybe they'll get it right next time.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Absynthe RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 21:01
From all these posts, 3 sounds bad. Unfortunately, I can't tell because it isn't working for me. Interface opens, begin scan. About 30-40 minutes later, the UI disappears, leaving only the tray icon. Open from tray icon, same process starts over. Progress bar never goes beyond what was about 5% in PSI2. Lenovo W500, Win 7 Ultimate x64.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2012 21:21
It is amazing to me to see all the new members who joined this forum just to add their voice to this thread. That should tell Secunia how strong the feelings are. Same to those with just a couple posts over several years, returning to chime in.

Was this reply relevant?
+8
darien217 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 21:33
User Since: 22nd Jul 2009
on 30th Jun, 2012 21:21, Digerati wrote:
It is amazing to me to see all the new members who joined this forum just to add their voice to this thread. That should tell Secunia how strong the feelings are. Same to those with just a couple posts over several years, returning to chime in.

Not only new users but looking at the "User Since:" field users that have using it for some years now, but only posting now because of the deployment of PSI 3.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Absynthe RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 30th Jun, 2012 21:39
Update and reply. 3rd time was the charm, now I know what everyone is talking about. 3.0 is more than a huge disappointment compared to previous versions, it is abominable.
Re new posters. I was an early adopter and have been using PSI since it first came out, and I previously had an account but lost it over the years. Don't assume every "New Member" is truly a newbie.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 30th Jun, 2012 21:46
on 30th Jun, 2012 21:39, Absynthe wrote:
Don't assume every "New Member" is truly a newbie.

:( Nobody assumed anything. I looked before typing and it was easy to see the vast majority of posters have fewer than 10 posts, many just 1 or 2. Only a handful have over 10 and only a couple are site regulars.

Don't assume the world revolves around you.

Was this reply relevant?
+2
mallydally RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 00:21
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
I am also hugely disappointed for a different reason. I have never been able to update beyond V1.5.0.1 due to the well-documented 'XP/SP3 Update Bug' which blighted V2.0. on all three of my pc's.

I was really hoping that Secunia might have addressed the problem with V3 but alas no. Same old problem - dashboard opens for a few milliseconds and then disappears never to be seen again. Just as well that dear old 1.5.0.1 is still supported and works a treat!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
PedroG RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 01:13
User Since: 20th Nov 2010
Agree with all disappointed members, I am returning to PSI 2.0.0.4002-
Was this reply relevant?
+2
wdhyte1 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 04:17
User Since: 21st Dec 2008
yep, I don't like the new n improved 3.0 worth a flip either.
If I wanted a mac, I'd buy a mac...but I want control and to know when/where things are happening. Looks like I'll be deleting PSI from this machine and not upgrading from 2.0 on the other 2 systems.
wow...so sad...I've been using PSI for years...now its virtually useless to me.
Dave in TX
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wonkabear2 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 07:03
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
on 30th Jun, 2012 21:21, Digerati wrote:

Well, when something works great and everyone is highly satisfied with it, there's not a whole lot anyone can say about it.

My favorite saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Unfortunately, Secunia appears to have never heard this before.

--
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!!
Was this reply relevant?
+3
kjdem RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 08:39
User Since: 1st Jul 2012
I played around with 3.0 for a while and decided to revert to 2.0.

This version may "look pretty", but I don't like the wasted space using huge icons instead of a list.
I shouldn't have to right-click on everything to see any details - it's a huge shot to productivity.
I am an advanced user and resent a dumbed down version with no option to view more details.
Please listen to users and offer an advanced option through preferences!
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 1st Jul, 2012 10:12
I already told my opinion about V3 (Bad of course) but I would like to know:
Why Secunia staff does not give their réactions after such general disappointment? are they reading the forum?
I have the impression that they follow microsoft trend : they think that PC users are not able to manage their computer so it must be as simple as possible: we should only play with icons and say nothing!!

--
billegate
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2012 10:23
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello billegate ,

Support do not work on the PSI at weekends and when they are there , they are notorious for giving only the bare minimum in response to non-specific/non-technical questions and usually need lots of prodding .

However , I can assure you they do read the Forum and rely on regular users to bring any (important) missed queries to their notice (by email) .

I have just posted my positive thoughts on version 3 here , if you are interested :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/128...

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MisterCat RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 10:50
User Since: 12th Sep 2010
Let me add my ickle voice to the chorus: Version 3.0 is dumb. That's because it's apparently designed for dummies; and, in my view at least, I am not of that persuasion. One could easily think an advertising/public-relations corporation, fixated on lowering the on-line intellectual common denominator even further than it already is, designed 3.0. Hopefully, computing-system/software engineers will be designing any further releases of what was a wonderful software tool.

Anyway, I've uninstalled 3.0 and am happily running the marvelous 2.0 once more! Yay! I thank Secunia for 2.0 and for the continuing support of that program. Please don't scare us again, however.

--
'Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.' - Michelangelo Buonarroti
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Witikon RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 14:19
Unfortunately I must add to the negative voices. V3.0 did not start at all (after two windows restarts) and I hence went back to 2.
I'm also not a fan of these icon driven interfaces when even the list is higher than the screen. And yes, I also want see at least some details immediately.
But Secuni seems to be in good comapny - just look at the interface of Windows-8 which definitely is for consumers, not for creators or programmers...
Was this reply relevant?
+2
janho RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 14:41
Score: 1
More then a huge disappointment !!! If it does´t function smoothly, you have no chance to fix manually. And it does´t function smoothly. Expert modus is a MUST. I try to go back to Version 2.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wdhyte1 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 15:10
User Since: 21st Dec 2008
I just went out and found v2.0.4003 again (didn't save it last time, who knew?!?) and have successfully reverted this machine back to v2 and its working great. Obviously at some point v2 will no longer be supported and there may be incompatible upgrades in data files, etc...but for now, I'm happy again and won't be reloading v3 ...if push comes to shove in the future, I'll just delete the PSI and find a suitable replacement (the cnet tech tracker works well in this regard as well FWIW). good luck all...Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tenzip RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 17:35
User Since: 30th Jul 2010
System Score: 78%
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2012 17:38
Add my voice to the disappointed.

If I wanted big ugly icons, I'd buy an (eww) Apple product. Well, no, not even then would I buy from big brother.

I installed, fiddled with it for about half an hour before it responded, including a couple of reboots because I thought it was stuck, and immediately removed it when it finally popped up. Then I popped in here to see if I was alone in my revulsion.

Back to v2. Thank you, Secunia, for continuing to support that.

I suspect that v3 will become an orphan, except for those that want exactly what it offers. Brainless updating for people who have zero interest in updates, or knowing what is going on with their computer.

My mom and dad, in their mid-eighties, are perfect candidates. He can use a shortcut to get on a web site to check his stock market performance, and, with coaching, can send an e-mail. She can look at pictures of the grandkids on the screensaver. v3 is perfect for them.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Hugone RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 09:27
I fully agree, 2.0 was far better with both the dashboard display and the programs listed rather than iconized. Does anyone really want to follow the Windows 8 trend with large icons, personally I definitely do not.
Thanks to those who provided a link to 2.0, which I am now running instead of 3.0
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Haarek RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 14:13
User Since: 6th Aug 2009
With the release of v3 it could seem like that Secunia has gotten the idea that usability and functionality is two uncompetetive worlds where one has to pick only one, but its certainly not. If you for instance were starting planning a new version with the GUI of v3 and the functionality of v2 I think the majority of the users, both the techsavy ones and everyone else, would be a lot more happy! It's the removed functionality most of us are missing, and as many have mentioned the GUI is pretty. If you do chose to plan a new version, please do so by involving the users.

The functionality I am missing the most from v2 which make me stick to v2:
- Direct link to relevant support-thread if needed
- The Dashboard with overview of the state of programs (insecure, end-of-life, patched) and comparison from earlier week, the easy readable statistical bars and the long-term curve, and also the comparison to the rest of the world and a note on when the system were last scanned is also some fun but good details to have.
- Secure Browsing

So please Secunia, we know you can do better!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ultimalvin RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 14:15
User Since: 18th Apr 2012
Fully agree, very disappointed, and back to 2.0. I've said as much for each of the beta releases of v3.0 : having no advance mode is a step back for me.

And let me express my concerns about 2.0 : I doubt that Secunia is going to maintain both 3.0 and 2.0, both free for charge. What support are we talking about ? when was the last release of 2.0 ? (oct 2011) what about the remaining bugs ?

I would not be surprised that in the near future 2.0 is killed and some 3.0 "advanced" version comes out, but at a price. Free for the dummies, $$ for the advanced users.

I'd really hate that.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Stengaard RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Secunia Official 2nd Jul, 2012 14:35
User Since: 6th Mar 2012
Last edited on 2nd Jul, 2012 14:36
Dear all,

Thank you for all of your feedback concerning the PSI 3.0. Even though some of you (most in this thread) disagree with the direction we have taken with PSI 3.0, we still very much value your feedback.

There is a lot of speculation going on as to why we are doing as we are, and my intent with this small 'Q&A' is to she some light on some of the (very) relevant concerns that you raise.

Q: Why don't you listen to your current users?
A: We absolutely do, and we truly value your feedback. I acknowledge that we have not been good enough at communicating back to you guys, so point taken. But this does not mean that we do not value and evaluate your inputs. In fact, most of the features we have (re) introduced since the first PSI3 Beta back in February are because of inputs from you guys. So options such as 'scan individual drives', 'ignore updates', 'start on boot', 'list of all applications' (icon view) and 'Show program details' are in there, because you asked for them.

Q: Are you discontinuing PSI 2.0?
A: No, as stated previously we have no plans of discounting PSI 2.0, so those of you who prefer to stick with this version are of course welcome to do so. Hopefully you can still see the benefits for less technical users from using the PSI 3.0 and will consider recommending this as an alternative to PSI 2.0. But again, both versions are supported, so it is totally up to you. The download link for PSI 2.0 is still available on our website: http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

Q: Is Secunia removing all the features to introduce a paid version?
A: No, absolutely no. We are removing features and functionality because we truly believe that this will improve the user experience and security for the majority of users world-wide. And as written above, PSI 2.0 is still supported, and we have no plans of discontinuing this, so you are free to use this version instead if you prefer.

Q: Why don't you include a 'list view' in the PSI 3.0?
A: In PSI 3.0 we decided to introduce the 'icon view' as we believe this is more appealing to the primary PSI 3.0 target group (less technical users) and more in line with the 'app style' that characterise many new OS. We do acknowledge however that a list view - with links to Secunia advisories and criticality ratings - is still very relevant and of value to many users as well, so we expect to introduce this in our first PSI 3 maintenance release (scheduled for the end of July). Again, this is basically a result of your feedback, so please keep it coming.

Q: Why don't you include an 'expert mode' in PSI 3.0?
A: I hope you will be excited to learn that we are working on a solution that I believe will meet most of your requirements for additional features, info and control. I cannot tell too much about it right now, since it is still very early work-in-progress, but we expect to have something ready later this year that we believe can satisfy the needs of the more experienced PSI users and potentially allow you to help your less technical friends and family.

I hope this answers most of the questions and concerns you have raised in this thread. Otherwise, please keep them coming and we will do our best to get back to you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and for your continued support in our journey of making all computers safe worldwide.

Stay Secure,

Morten Stengaard
Secunia
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 14:56
Thanks Morten
These are good news for us. Yes indeed an expert mode is the best solution. We understand of course that there are a lot of different levels users and the need for less technical people but generally those who are interested in up to date machine are not primary users so dont forget them. Now I am confident on PSI future and for the time being I stayed with V2.
Best regards

--
billegate
Was this reply relevant?
+1
GeorgiaIceCream RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 15:12
I had tried the PSI 3.0 beta and quickly backed off. I took the plunge once more with the release of PSI 3.0. I have since reverted back to version 2.0.

I had version 3.0 installed for 3 days. I run Windows XP, SP3 on a 2.5GHz Intel single core processor.

I found that the scan for PSI 3.0 literally locked out every other task and ran for almost an hour of clock time.

I had PSI 3.0 set to start-up at boot time. What a mistake! It started a scan at every boot. That was intolerable.

I too prefer the more detailed info in version 2.0. I have been a PSI user for several years. One feature that I would like to see on any version of PSI is a way to set a specific time to start the scan.

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Secunia Official 2nd Jul, 2012 15:23
@GeorgiaIcecream:

You write that the scan for PSI 3.0 literally locked out every other task and ran for almost an hour of clock time. Would you be so kind to supply us with the log files that can be found in the PSI program folder? This is not expected behavior (the first scan usually takes a few minutes), and I would like our Development team to look into it. You can e-mail the log files to support@secunia.com.

Thank you,

Morten Stengaard
Secunia
janho RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 15:39
Dear Mr. Stengaard,

I really appreciate your clarification. I trust Secunia to make a good product, which suits to all the less or more skilled or less or more in detail interested users. Only ... would it all have been communicated in the email, which announced the release of V3, much disappointment would have been spared! Anyway, I think most of us are grateful for this product (and its costs) and wish you all the best for the next development !
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 15:40
Thank you, Morten, for all these interesting and useful infos about PSI 3 as well as about the future support of PSI 2.

--
Win 8.1.1 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+0
ax89 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 18:52
User Since: 29th May 2009
I might not have minded teh simpler user interface, but the cpu piggishness is a deal breaker. How can this have eluded the brilliant minds at Secuia? Well, maybe not so brilliant after all.

Back to 2.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ruirib RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 23:45
Yep, this must be the dumbest UI I have seen in many years. 3.0 is gone from my computer, I am getting back to 2.0.

Look at what Microsoft did with Metro - it actually allows users to have quicker access to the information they need. You removed a lot of useful info, that cannot even be access when a user chooses to see the details in each program found to be out of date. You are out of touch with the evolution of graphical user interfaces. What a huge disappointment indeed!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
linkyyork RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 3rd Jul, 2012 11:26
User Since: 6th Aug 2010
I have gone back to the old version.
At my last boot v3 did not run and the icon hasd gone from the task bar
Was this reply relevant?
+0
larbensi RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 3rd Jul, 2012 11:32
User Since: 17th Mar 2008
hopefully !!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ultimalvin RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 3rd Jul, 2012 11:39
User Since: 18th Apr 2012
Thanks Morten, that's a big relief. Keep up the good work !
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Secunia Official 3rd Jul, 2012 11:46
@Ultimalvin

Thank you for your continued support!

Morten
Canon09 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 3rd Jul, 2012 20:41
User Since: 25th Aug 2010
Looking forward to more advanced options in version 3. Until then, I'll be sticking with version 2.

Speaking of dumbing Secunia down for computer users (who don't know what they're doing), those people will still have problems running Secunia - regardless of its dumbed-down simplicity. They won't even know they should be installing it, much less how to install it. I've watched the inexperience computer user - they click on things and haven't a clue what they are doing. They unplug the computer rather than do a safe shut down.

Secunia is a product for those who care about computer safety and keeping their programs up to date. For those who care, they take the time to learn how to use it in advanced mode.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MPfister RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 3rd Jul, 2012 22:41
User Since: 3rd Mar 2010
I can confirm the problem many people have with the initial scan completely blocking the CPU. Especially the psia.exe (agent) process is blocking the machine by consuming all the CPU available. Unfortunately the priority may not be set down in the Task Manager - security is set so that it may not be changed. The only way to stop the behaviour is to shoot out the process by stopping it via Task Manager. Even to wait Task Manager coming up after calling it is a long time...

As I remember I had already once such a problem 2 or 3 years ago. Support asked me then to deactivate the monitoring flag in the settings. If I remember right it had something to do with memory I/O. I imagine it might be the same problem as then. Unfortunately now there is no possibility to make such changes in configuration to optimize behaviour with SPI 3.0.

The only possibility for now is to go back to SPI 2.x and sending the log psialog.txt to the support and to hope they will soon have a solution for the lots of people concerned by this problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ax89 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 4th Jul, 2012 06:48
User Since: 29th May 2009
Morten - I will send you my two log files that seem to demonstrate hours of scanning.

Stuff like this (two adjacent lines) seems odd:
[07/01 09:11:50.890] notifyNewTray: server.updateTooltip('All programs are up to date')
[07/01 09:22:37.761] Generating results
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 4th Jul, 2012 09:07
@ax89,

Please do. We are looking into the issue right now and expect to have a solution ready soon. We will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Morten Stengaard
Secunia
Trevor Dayneswood RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 4th Jul, 2012 22:58
User Since: 3rd Dec 2008
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2012 22:58
I think it's extremely misleading to call this new version "PSI 3.0". One expects a higher version number to be an improvement of the previous version, with additional features - NOT fewer, without changing the basic phylosophy of the program. It seems to me that this is not an 'upgrade' but a 'fork'. This should be 'PSI Simple' or 'PSI Easy' or something along those lines.

If you're aiming at a different audience, then give it a different name - DO NOT pretend it's an update of the previous version when clearly it isn't!
Was this reply relevant?
+3
pederas RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 11th Jul, 2012 23:24
Score: -1
User Since: 20th Mar 2010
I had the same problem with a single update to VLC Player (I think it was). That and the only- icons, dumbed-down interface sent me flying here as soon as I was able to reclaim my computer. I have already uninstalled 3.0 and rolled back to 2.0. I will send you any log files there.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
brynadavies RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 12th Jul, 2012 10:19
User Since: 15th May 2010
Came here to echo the views of many about how much I HATE the dumbed down interface that was sprung unexpectedly on us in PSI 3.0.

I am encouraged however by M Stengaard's FAQ post that indicates that a list view will be reintroduced and expert features brought in in the next maintenance release so I have decided to persist with PSI 3.0 until that comes out to see if it improves things.

I really hope though that Secunia learn from this that springing such a fundamental redesign on people without warning and without the option to revert to a 'classic' mode or such like is likely to p*** a lot of people off.

Bryn
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Z4ppy RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 12th Jul, 2012 17:36
User Since: 30th Nov 2008
> Recieved mail about 3.0
> Read the mail
> Installed 3.0
> Tried 3.0 out for ~5 minutes
> Installed 2.0 again

Too much functionality removed... I clicked on "Settings" and was really shocked to only see 3 items there. Then I searched another ~4 minutes for the advanced mode, didn't find it... That was enough for me to switch back again.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
twizzard RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 12th Jul, 2012 17:48
User Since: 21st Jan 2009
completely concur -- with the note that even version 2 still had an Expert mode that was useful -- far, far more useful than Version 3
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jul, 2012 17:51
thanks for the link. Considering how poor Version 3 turned out to be, it is great that you provided a good link to Version 2. Next time I will be sure to have a full system backup before accepting an "update" from Secunia, just in case the "update" again sacrifices significant capabilities and a usable GUI in exchange for an interface designed to look like a dumb Microsoft product designed for kids.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Jul, 2012 18:33
As soon as I installed PSI 3.0, it was obvious that the user interface was terrible. It seemed odd that PSI 2 showed two end of life instances of Chrome 19x, but PSI 3.0 stupidly showed Chrome as OK, with the large icon with the green check. I immediately went back to PSI 2, which correctly showed that those two instances (two other user accounts on the system) still had Chrome 19x installed.
Conclusion: PSI 3 in addition to having a nearly useless user interface has managed to compromise even most essential capabilities of PSI. It is said that Secunia ever released such a poor product, and hopefully PSI 4 will go back to a usable product.
PSI 3 [i]might be usable for the mentally challenged who use a Windows computer with only a single privileged account.
For anyone who normally works with a non-privileged account and uses privileged accounts only when needed, for anyone that likes information about updates, for anyone that has any appreciation for a useable user interface (that is, for anyone who is smart enough to understand the need for PSI), the need to immediately upgrade from version 3 to version 2 is clear.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jesant13 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 13th Jul, 2012 02:17
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Sep 2009
I have not used Secunia PSI 3.0 (I use version 2.0.0.4003) but I have read some things about it which bring me to the conclusion that I don't want it on my computer. "Secure Browsing" is not present in Secunia PSI 3.0 and it is something that I use every time after a scan completes on my computer. According to another post the graph showing the security of my detected programs over the past six months also is not present in Secunia PSI 3.0. I've also read that there is a performance problem where Secunia PSI 3.0 uses too many resources. A program like that I don't want on my laptop.

My plan is to use version 2.0.0.4003 until support for it is dropped or I replace my laptop, whichever comes first. I plan on replacing my laptop in 2014 with one that has Windows 8 on it (I got my current one in 2010.) If Secunia releases a version of Secunia PSI which can automatically update itself before then, I think I'll install it. I just don't want to upgrade manually by uninstalling one version first.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
newpost RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 13th Jul, 2012 14:33
User Since: 7th Aug 2010
Last edited on 13th Jul, 2012 14:34
As PSI 3.0 cannot even load and I get no help here in the forum I will have to get back to PSI 2.0. I don't see any reason why PSI 3.0 cannot load or shows the whole time the loading screen. It is the only software making problems here. Very sad. :-(

Edit:
Ok, just now one secunia official posted something to my post. Lets see.
https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/12...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MarcelPfister RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 13th Jul, 2012 16:05
User Since: 24th Mar 2009
Might be that the loading screen remains until your whole machine was scanned at the first startup of PSI 3.0. I had the same thing. The annoying point is further that during this time the scanning process for all the installed applilcations takes almost the whole CPU.

First time I stopped this process. Later on when I stopped working on my machine I started PSI 3.0 again und let it working. When I came back some hours later I had the GUI with all the icons in the overview of the applications that are on release and with the applications that should be updated.

Try once to let it work some hours to make the full scan at the beginning. Due to me the following times it is faster but the scanning process in background takes nevertheless most CPU time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
psiuseruk1 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 14th Jul, 2012 11:10
User Since: 14th Jul 2012
Though version 3 has a graphical interface, I think I still prefer version 2 because I can see more information simply and clearly on the screen in one go and can install updates with a simple click..

Version 3 also tells me that some programs require manual updates but in my case these are end of line products where there is no update to install. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way of switching this off which is annoying.

Maybe in version 3.1 there could be an option for users to select the view they require and still enjoy all the improvement tweaks of the new version.

PSI is a great program and it would be a shame if it got altered out of recognition from the characteristics which attracted users to it in the first place.

Ideally later versions should give you all the original functionality plus more.

The danger here is that these changes could alienate original users and cause them to go in search of an equivalent product.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Jul, 2012 12:44
@psiuser1uk

Version 3 also tells me that some programs require manual updates but in my case these are end of line products where there is no update to install. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way of switching this off which is annoying.

You can ignore programmes as follows:

Open PSI>Activate "Show Programs">From the list of Programme Icons that appear right click on the programme(s) you wish to ignore & select "Ignore Updates To This Program"

The icon will be moved from the main list & recreated at the bottom of the page under the heading "Programs That Do Not Receive Updates".

Any programme in this category can be returned the main Program List with a right click & selection of "Don't Ignore Updates To This Program".

There is indeed a few "wording" bugs with V3. The procedure above does not make it clear it is in effect an ignore rule. In addition the status of programmes installed is very unclear particularly to a Beginner Class user. It appears incapable of differentiating between Totally Secure - Fully Patched But Vulnerable - Vulnerable & End of Life.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
psiuseruk1 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 14th Jul, 2012 13:17
Cheers, Maurice.

Many thanks for that.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kaelemjee RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 14th Jul, 2012 16:19
Since 2 days, after starting my Windows XP computer the proces psia.exe continuously uses all the capacity of the processor, so there is no room for other programs.
To run a program I have to stop psia.exe. Think i go back to PSI 2.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AnnaNuem RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment (Very Huge Dissapointment)
Member 14th Jul, 2012 22:12
I fully agree with that, too.

The overview with the different icons may be nice to look at, but it is wasting place and time. It is much more complicated than the old list view and the relevant details are missing even when looking for details. Further on no links are provided to the Secunia Advisories and so on.

It will match fine with Windows 8, which is also build to incapacitate the users.
But it is the wrong way to protect all PCs worldwide by switching off the users brain.

I will switch back to version 2 as long as you will support it or give us back the "expert view".
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MarcelPfister RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 14th Jul, 2012 22:41
User Since: 24th Mar 2009
@Kaelemjee: That's the most known problem with PSI 3.0 for the moment, they work on it.

To avoid the resource problem on startup you can change the PSI Agent Service to manually (from automatic). So it will only be started when you start up PSI by the system tray icon.

Did you already let once the psia.exe process to complete its work? For the first time it makes a full system scan and that's what is taking so many resources. After the first full scan, situation becomes a bit better concerning system resources, but is no comparison to version 2.

Perhaps you could once let to run the full system scan when you haven't to work on your machine, let it work for itself. Not very convenient, but this way it gives at least once a result.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JohnPC11 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 15th Jul, 2012 12:37
User Since: 30th Dec 2011
I totally agree that PSI 3 is completely different to PSI 2. However, it is far from a huge disappointment!
I suggest that both versions have their place according to the user's needs and capabilities.
Instead of criticizing either one or the other, simply use the version that suits your needs and forget the other.
I personally use PSI 2 simply because I wish to have a complete program which shows, in detail, what is what.
Previously my "no-brain" friends/family who only need a PC that works are completely bewildered by the complexity of PSI 2 and didn't want it! Now with PSI 3 they have just the right amount of information they need in a simple to use user interface. They just need the peace of mind that updates happen automatically and invisibly.
Remember: You don't need to know how to build a car to be able to drive one!
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 15th Jul, 2012 13:27
Last edited on 15th Jul, 2012 13:27
@ JohnPC11

While what you say is true with hindsight, and does reflect other comments made here, many of the comments are to do with expectation - not hindsight.

There was no warning that this version was effectively a 'fork' to a simple version. Being presented as the next major version number (and with no information to the contrary) many people (including me) routinely upgraded expecting a replacement for and improvement of v.2. Had this been marketed as a new simplified version and not appeared to be a major upgrade, then many of the issues and comments raised here would not have arisen.

As it was, a large number of users wasted time installing it, and encountered significant problems - wasting even more time - before rolling back to v.2, all of which would have been completely unnecessary had they known the nature of the new version. Even now, the top of this page promotes "Download the new Secunia PSI 3.0!" without any warning that to many users it is a downgrade.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Moote RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 15th Jul, 2012 14:39
User Since: 1st Aug 2010
The new release is so poor I have uninstalled it and gone back to V2, Secunia why fix something which was not broken. Please bring back the expert mode.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JohnPC11 RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 15th Jul, 2012 15:29
User Since: 30th Dec 2011
Reply to Trevor:
Absolutely agree with you - Secunia should have informed us about the radical change made in PSI 3.
My post was not meant as any criticism to anyone, nor in defense of Secunia, but now we all know we can revert back to PSI 2, if we wish.
Also, those 'not-so-tech-minded' users who did find PSI 2 far too daunting do indeed have a much simpler alternative - and one which should be clearly pointed out prior to anyone D/L and installing in the future.
Let's hope Secunia take notice :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Jul, 2012 11:24
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2012 11:40
Secunia, having now announced that three different versions are available to users, have yet to update their Product (& other web pages) starting here https://secunia.com/products/ to reflect this new & important fact.

The PSI element on this page should now have the download links available to all versions & clearly state the target audience each version is aimed at.

This would prevent time wasting currently being "enjoyed" by many who install V3 from the advertising links only to find it is not for "a typical end user" as the many adverse comments on this Forum suggest.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Spiff RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 16th Jul, 2012 12:43
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010

That's an outstanding idea, Maurice.
Secunia presenting all three PSI versions together and specifying which version has which characteristics and state the target audience each version is aimed at.
Exceptionally good idea.
I hope Secunia will pick up on that idea.

One point of consideration:
I understand which are the target audiences for v2 and v3,
but what exactly would be the target audience for v1?

Best regards,
Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Jul, 2012 12:46
I assume no automation is one "selling" point which many prefer.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
E.Jeppesen RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Secunia Official 16th Jul, 2012 12:50
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
@Maurice
Thank you for your suggestion. I have made sure that the right people in Secunia have been informed and have read your comments.
Spiff RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 16th Jul, 2012 12:54
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010

OK, thanks, Maurice, I understand.
Although automation is easy to disable in v2, I can understand that some would prefer v1 and don't have to bother with any automation at all.

Best regards,
Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jul, 2012 13:23
@ E.Jeppesen

While your comment is good news, why has it taken 3 weeks or more for that message to get through? It should be obvious from many of the earlier comments that users did not understand the target audience for each version, and that they were asking for clarity from Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Compumind RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 16th Jul, 2012 16:07
User Since: 2nd Feb 2010
Hi.

As far as I am concerned, PSI 3.0 is a Alpha product (not even close to Beta.)
I now have PSI 2.0 (4003) on my computer and am happy!

How can Secunia release 3.0? It's beyond me... :(
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Contributor 16th Jul, 2012 19:26
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2012 19:28
Hi all

Thanks Maurice for your comments in the post of
16 July 2012 11:24 concerning the availability of
all three versions for download & that they are supported.
Maybe the Marketing Dept. for CSI could give
the PSI some tips
on how to project this in future developments.

Regarding your post here on 16 July 2012 12:46
regarding users of v1-not only is nothing 'automatic'
in the Advanced Mode-not 'expert'-as some have
incorrectly called 'it', 'it' just works. With my OS if
there's a problem it usually means there's a problem with connection on my end or Secunias' server are
down, both easy to troubleshoot.
Think I'll just trudge along with v1.5.0.2, thank you very much.

Thank you Secunia for providing a much needed free product that does really work.

Regards, wr
EDIT: spelling

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Jul, 2012 22:06
@wr

Power to your elbow. My XP test PC will only operate on the good old but useful V1.

I am still trying to track down why V2 & V3 fail to load the drives for scanning on being installed - this clearly resulted from testing some alleged Registry Cleaners that has crippled something somewhere.

Drop back to V1 & it all works like a dream.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
E.Jeppesen RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Secunia Official 17th Jul, 2012 10:15
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
@Trevor Dayneswood
To answer your question, it is very much possible that the message got through earlier and was considered. We have tried to make the rationale behind PSI 3.x clear on both the forum and in blog posts. Perhaps we need to make it clearer on our websites PSI pages as well. I have made sure that the right people have read the suggestion by Maurice and have taken it into consideration, just in case they had not already done so.
JPJ RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 18th Jul, 2012 02:28
User Since: 6th Feb 2008
System Score: 95%
I also really hate the new look of PSI 3.0.
Is there anything that 3.0 does better than 2.0 ?
JP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JPJ RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 18th Jul, 2012 02:29
User Since: 6th Feb 2008
System Score: 95%
Last edited on 18th Jul, 2012 02:43
I also really hate the new look of PSI 3.0.
Is there anything that 3.0 does better than 2.0 ?
JP

I will be re-installing 2.0 if I can...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2012 14:44
@ E.Jeppesen, who wrote "We have tried to make the rationale behind PSI 3.x clear on both the forum and in blog posts. Perhaps we need to make it clearer on our websites PSI pages as well."

I would say that there should be no "Perhaps". I - like I'm sure many others - just saw the notification that there was a new version of PSI available, automatically assumed that it would be an upgrade, and downloaded it.

Only AFTER I saw the 'new version' did I come to the forum. I only come to the forums when I hit a problem, and I've never looked at the blog. So, YES it most definately needs to be made clear BEFORE users download it., and I am pleased to note that you have passed on Maurice's suggestion.

In fact, I can find no mention of the earlier versions, nor the limitations of v.3 on the Home page, nor on the Download page directly linked from the Home. The Download button immediately commences downloading v.3.

As regards the Blog, the link of 28 June 2012, leads to this page http://secunia.com/blog/320/, which states "With the general release of the Secunia PSI 3.0 today, I feel that we have found the perfect balance and fusion of features that will appeal to everyone."

Everyone? - clearly not so!

TD
Was this reply relevant?
+3
besafe RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 21st Jul, 2012 00:08
User Since: 27th May 2010
Uninstalled version 3 and reinstalled version 2 ! This says it all !
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Phreedom RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 21st Jul, 2012 15:30
User Since: 21st Jul 2012
Updated to PSI 3 when it was released and, like many others, did not care for the simplified GUI and found no advantage to the set up. I choose to view information and indicators over dumbed down presentations.

Today I finally went back to Ver 2. When PSI opened, it was like welcoming an old and trusted friend home.

By the way, I have Windows 7 set to Classic mode;
Explorer is set to show the full path of files viewed,
folders are set to Detailed (not icon) view and
files are set to display all extensions including system.
I don't like or trust dumbed down interfaces/programs. I like to know details.

--
The more Secure we are... the less Freedom we have
Was this reply relevant?
+2
BeBiMa RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 21st Jul, 2012 22:34
User Since: 30th Jul 2010
Last edited on 21st Jul, 2012 23:49
I tried Version 3 also.
Did not like the new "design". It is more pictures, less information. But I trusted in a robust, reliable machine struggling in the background.

BUT: Some days before I decided to reconfigure my internet gateway with built-in web proxy. Now all web traffic HTTP(80)/HTTPS(443) is forced to go through the proxy. Means for automatic config detection are installed.
All software is behaving normal but one: PSI! :(

PSI insists in doing its webaccess through port 443, which is not allowed. I found a message in the FAQ, that PSI doesn't support proxies.

After removing PSI I went curious. I remembered having used PSI behind a proxy in a company net. Therefore I installed PSI1 on one system and PSI2 on another.

You guess, what happened:
PSI1 starts, loads the definitions, scans my system and doesn't hang like PSI3.
PSI2 starts, tries to load the definitions, ties to scan my system and waits for secunia on port 443. ( also not very useful behind a proxy :( )

My questions from this investigation:
- why dictates a "security software" less local security as planned by the admin ( me )?
- why finds after a uninstall and reboot the new install my old data (username, mailaddress, reults of previous scans) on the system?
This doesn't make PSI really trustworthy.

BTW: Thanks to Maurice for the links. For all who want to find them on the Secunia page:
- open the "System Requirements",
- there you find
(unknown source)
Connectivity

Access to Secunia's encrypted servers via SSL (https://psi.secunia.com:443/) and access to Microsoft Windows Update servers, see also Software Requirements below
( I can access the Secunia server through my browsers, but PSI3 can not ;)

- on the right column you find the links for the downloads of PSI1, PSI2 and PSI3.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Erlend RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 25th Jul, 2012 12:56
User Since: 28th Nov 2008
Uninstalled. Going back to PSI 2. Don't like PSI 3's interface. At all..
Was this reply relevant?
+1

kfrese

[+]
This reply has been deleted
kfrese RE: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment
Member 26th Jul, 2012 03:08
User Since: 26th Jul 2012
Uninstalled v3 and went back to the trusty . 3 was ugly, used the CPU too aggressively and seemed unable to keep track of my scans, as it always said last scan was never. disappointing.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability