Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Spam

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
ManFromOz Spam
Member 30th Jun, 2012 01:11
Ranking: 17
User Since: 6th Jun, 2012
System Score: 100%
I have unchecked the all of the boxes to my subscriptions to Security Advisory and Weekly Summery in my profile because I am bombarded with spam, yet the spam continues. How do I stop these emails permanently?

Thanks,

ManFromOz.

Post "RE: Spam" has been selected as an answer.
steffens RE: Spam
Member 30th Jun, 2012 02:00
Score: 49
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2012 02:08
Whenever you create a new thread, or reply to an existing thread, you are automatically subscribed to email notices of new postings or edits on that thread. If the thread is very popular, e.g. the threads relating to PSI 3, there can be zillions of these update emails. Enough to look like "SPAM". But it isn't, really... And you can easily put a stop to it.

Go to "My Threads" in the list of forum topics. You will see a list of all the threads you have created or replied to.

Click on a topic. You will be told whether you are subscribed, and given the option to unsubscribe if you are.

Unsubscribe each thread for which you no longer want to receive updates.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Poof! SPAM all gone!

(You can avoid similar problems in future by simply unchecking the "Subscribe to this thread" checkbox before you submit your posting or reply.)

HTH...
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ManFromOz RE: Spam
Member 30th Jun, 2012 02:55
Score: 17
User Since: 6th Jun 2012
Thanks, but that isn't the problem. If you click on the "My Profile" tab you can see "My Subscriptions". I had checked the first two on the list, but soon unchecked them.

I haven't had anymore for a while, so I am hoping the system has caught up and the emails have stopped.

Cheers,

ManFromOz.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steffens RE: Spam
Member 30th Jun, 2012 04:01
Score: 49
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
True enough. "Secunia Advisories" is a high-volume email list. "Weekly summary" and "Corporate Newsletter" not so much.

Traffic is down in the forums right now, because it's nighttime where most of the heavy posters live. But it's only a matter of time until they wake up and start posting again. So there will eventually be lots more update notices generated on all of the high-volume forum threads to which you remain subscribed. So you still might be wise to look at "Forums > My Threads" to see what you've got there. Or not. Your call...
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+2
ManFromOz RE: Spam
Member 30th Jun, 2012 04:07
Score: 17
User Since: 6th Jun 2012
Thanks for the tip. I will do as suggested. :-)

If the other emails have stopped, in say 24 hrs, I will close this thread.

Thank you for your time.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
MickeyMouse456 RE: Spam
Member 30th Jun, 2012 09:06
Score: 1
User Since: 2nd Mar 2012
Provided you have unticked (unchecked) the various email options in your Profile that mail should stop.

If this does not work scroll to the bottom of the next email U receive & U will note an unsubscribe option. Activate that link.

This option also applies to any email replies U receive from Forum threads U have subscribed to.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+