Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mykelturn v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 30th Jun, 2012 08:51
Ranking: 2
User Since: 11th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
What can I say that may have already been submitted? Here are my two cents.

1. I miss the secure browser feature that allowed the user to see what was happening with whatever browser the user may have had installed. I use primarily Firefox with IE8 secondary. This not a vital function but it was a nice to have display.

2. PSI 3.0 takes too long to load. I believe the main reason for this is that PSI, when started, starts performing scans of the installed applications and checking them against Secunia database. If the user is unfortunately connected to a slow connection, the scan time is magnified. SUGGESTION: have a user option to automatically perform a scan (which is already set as default) when PSI is started or a user option to set PSI for manual scanning only after PSI is loaded.

3. I personally don't like displaying the applications as "ICONS". When I use Explorer I use the "LIST" option. It is (for me) easier to deal with particularly when are many applications. SUGGESTION: Need user option(s) such as LIST, ICONS, DETAILS, or whatever.

4. Error noted. There is a version conflict. The properties of the PSI.EXE file shows the current version of 3.0.0.2004. However, when RIGHT-CLICKing on the SYSTRAY PSI icon and opening "About Secunia PSI", the version shows is v3.0.0.2003. While this is minor it can possibly cause some confusion.

So, that's my two cents.

Thanks.

scorpion169 RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 30th Jun, 2012 09:26
Score: 7
User Since: 30th Jun 2012
I too am disappointed.
I have reverted to v2.0.0.4003 which I understand and has all the controls and info that I like to have at my fingertips.
v3.0 is ugly with the icons and has no controls or advisory. The listings of v2.0 are much neater and informative.
Was this reply relevant?
+7
Johnnice RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 30th Jun, 2012 10:55
Score: 10
User Since: 17th Feb 2010
I don't like it at all. I much preferred the detail of V.2, and I intend reverting to it.

John
Was this reply relevant?
+6
billegate RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 30th Jun, 2012 17:03
Score: 8
User Since: 5th Jan 2008
Same for me V3 stayed on my computer less than 24 hours. Bad idea

--
billegate
Was this reply relevant?
+5
mykelturn RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 1st Jul, 2012 05:46
Score: 2
User Since: 11th Mar 2009
I am going to keep 3.0 for a while longer. Maybe a new release will be out soon possibly addressing these issues and others. Thanks for the responses.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wonkabear2 RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 1st Jul, 2012 07:09
Score: 10
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
on 1st Jul, 2012 05:46, mykelturn wrote:
I am going to keep 3.0 for a while longer. Maybe a new release will be out soon possibly addressing these issues and others. Thanks for the responses.

There were plenty of issues addressed and opinions rendered during the so-called beta testing. But it appears that Secunia wasn't listening.

Don't hold yer breath waiting on a new release.

--
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!!
Was this reply relevant?
+3
mykelturn RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 5th Jul, 2012 13:35
Score: 2
User Since: 11th Mar 2009
I found some more things about 3.0 I find are missing from 3.0.

1)...No user option to change the size of the displayed application icons. They are just too big. By default, the applications display is too big and difficult to scan through them to find what the user is looking for. Resizing the icons, along with other options to display the applications; such as LIST (for example), would make viewing a great deal easier.

2)...No user option to STOP a scan when checking for updates. Once started the user has to wait to complete the scan. The only option can see is to close PSI altogether.

3)...With v2.0x the user had the option to CLICK on the SECUNIA PSI shown in the upper right-hand corner of the main page. However, with v3.0 .. no option for the user to go to the PSI web-site directly from the main page.

4)...When PSI v2.0 was still current, the user visiting the PSI web-site and navigating to download PSI could see ... on the web-site ... the current version of PSI that was available. Also, there was an option to be able to see the release history for PSI. With v3.0 .. nothing.

Was this reply relevant?
+2
M.Rehman RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Secunia Official 5th Jul, 2012 15:04
Score: 25
User Since: 12th May 2011
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2012 15:13
Hi,

I can confirm that a list view will be added in the upcoming version, that will be released in the end of July.

Also, the version information in the right-click > help, will be corrected.

Some users have had some performance issues with PSI 3, which our development team is working on fixing as well.

--
Kind regards,

Munib Rehman
Secunia Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
rjbeilstein RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 5th Jul, 2012 22:45
Score: 4
User Since: 1st May 2008
Are you also planning to have list view include the technical details regarding the specific vulnerability found that 2.x gives you?

I find that I don't really mind the icons or much else that many folk have been complaining about, but I absolutely DO miss the technical details that 2.x gave me.

I am not a fan of "black boxes", and hiding all of the technical details from me merely makes me want to stop using PSI (though as long as it's still supported, I suppose that I can do what so many others seem to have done and revert to the 2.x version).

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dmark RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 6th Jul, 2012 02:56
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Jun 2010
Hi, I am experiencing problems with PSI 3.X and want to revert to PSI 2.X like you did but cannot figure out how. How did you do that?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AlMac99 RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 6th Jul, 2012 03:25
Score: 6
User Since: 16th Apr 2011
It seems to me that PSI 2.0 scan kicked in automatically, one week after the last time it ran, either automatically, or by user action. I think it would be nice if we had the option to set a preference for WHEN TIME this was to happen.

I have my PC set to do various anti-virus and Microsoft updates in wee hours when I was sleeping, but not have all updates and scans run at same time. I would prefer PSI to do its scan after all the other stuff gets updated etc. so PSI catch what vendors not have good automatic stuff taken care of, and since it is so darn slow, have the time when I am not so busy.

PSI is not as slow as some other stuff, which I have checked, and seen this takes 3 hours, that takes 1/2 hour, set my start times when the other things should be completed. I want PSI on that schedule, not random time it now has.

--
-
Alister Wm Macintyre
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AlMac99 RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 6th Jul, 2012 03:29
Score: 6
User Since: 16th Apr 2011
on 5th Jul, 2012 13:35, mykelturn wrote:
I found some more things about 3.0 I find are missing from 3.0.

3)...With v2.0x the user had the option to CLICK on the SECUNIA PSI shown in the upper right-hand corner of the main page. However, with v3.0 .. no option for the user to go to the PSI web-site directly from the main page.

There's now option on lower left corner of screen, which gets me to the FORUM, then from there to other places. It is not as obvious to people that those options on the bottom can take one to other options, than those stated in the initial text.

--
-
Alister Wm Macintyre
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ManFromOz RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 6th Jul, 2012 07:39
Score: 15
User Since: 6th Jun 2012
System Score: 100%
on 6th Jul, 2012 02:56, dmark wrote:
Hi, I am experiencing problems with PSI 3.X and want to revert to PSI 2.X like you did but cannot figure out how. How did you do that?

Just uninstall PSI 3.0 and reinstall 2.0 from http://secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe

Was this reply relevant?
+3
E.Jeppesen RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Secunia Official 6th Jul, 2012 13:55
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
on 5th Jul, 2012 22:45, rjbeilstein wrote:
Are you also planning to have list view include the technical details regarding the specific vulnerability found that 2.x gives you?

Yes, the coming PSI release will also provide a link to the relevant Secunia Advisory.
RichardPrice RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 6th Jul, 2012 17:25
Score: 1
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
on 6th Jul, 2012 07:39, ManFromOz wrote:
Just uninstall PSI 3.0 and reinstall 2.0 from http://secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe[/quote]
Thank you for the link - I really couldn't get on with the dumbed-down version 3.0, and it was such a relief to see the familiar 2.0 user interface back again.

Richard Price
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Doctor9fan RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 6th Jul, 2012 18:45
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
This new version ui is ok but afaict there's no way to rescan a particular programme after updating, I can't find a way to manually run an update for same & no setting to choose a regular scan time/date although it has run an automatic scan yesterday since I manually ran one Tuesday I'd still like to set an automatic scan every week.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ManFromOz RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 7th Jul, 2012 08:34
Score: 15
User Since: 6th Jun 2012
on 6th Jul, 2012 17:25, RichardPrice wrote:
Thank you for the link - I really couldn't get on with the dumbed-down version 3.0, and it was such a relief to see the familiar 2.0 user interface back again.

Richard Price

You're welcome. :-)

ManFromOz.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Doctor9fan RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 7th Jul, 2012 18:57
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
on 6th Jul, 2012 03:25, AlMac99 wrote:
It seems to me that PSI 2.0 scan kicked in automatically, one week after the last time it ran, either automatically, or by user action. I think it would be nice if we had the option to set a preference for WHEN TIME this was to happen.

After using PSI ver 3.0 for a few days now I find that it scans auotmatically every two days after running a manual scan, I ran the scan Tuesday @ 10am & since then it has auto-scanned Thursday & today (Saturday) I assume it ran the scan at the same time 10am, there's no details in the history but all my programmes were upto date so I don't know whether it would show anything.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rjbeilstein RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 10th Jul, 2012 23:47
Score: 4
User Since: 1st May 2008
Last edited on 10th Jul, 2012 23:51
Thanks for the upconing link to the advisory, at least. The other technical information and available actions in 2.x still seem to be missing, however.

I'm afraid that I am also going to opt to fall back to PSI 2, pretty much as soon as I finish typing this message.

Remember "Microsoft Bob"? I have to tell you that PSI 3, at least as it is currently implemented, gives me the same queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I can certainly understand you wanting to simplify things for the unenlightened (heck, there are still something like 200,000 people who lost their Internet access this week because of the DNSChanger infection, despite the DOJ and every security firm and media outlet that I know of doing everything humanly possible to get them to fix it), but not all of us are computer illiterate.

Believe me, I absolutely applaud you for everything you do to help keep people's home computers safe and updated. That definitely hasn't changed!

But I have a bit over 45 years' experience in computing (on everything from EAM machines with plugboard programming to mainframes to UNIX servers to PCs), and I have been "burned" enough times that I don't let even Microsoft install things on my computers without checking them out first (and, yes, I DO read the bulletins and so forth first). About the only thing that updates automatically around here is my AV client. And I NEVER miss a "Patch Tuesday" (in fact, I just finished with the latest batch that came out this afternoon).

So, for me, PSI 3 is a huge deal, and the lack of information and control that you've built into the new release makes it a deal breaker for me.

Too bad you didn't build in an "expert" mode, since I do very much like the new search engine and the other infrastructure improvements you've put into it.

Perhaps PSI 4 will be a better fit...

Thanks again!

Was this reply relevant?
+4
BartC RE: v3.0 Disappointment - My Two Cents Worth
Member 11th Jul, 2012 05:17
Score: 17
User Since: 17th Jun 2008
The absence of technical details for a program is a deal breaker for me. I do not understand how ver 3 could be considered an upgrade. There is a huge loss of feature set.

bc
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability