xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Can't schedule scans in 3.0?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
MisterCat Can't schedule scans in 3.0?
Member 1st Jul, 2012 00:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
I'm unable to find a way to schedule scans in this new version. What is it I'm missing? Your helpful advice in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

--
'Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.' - Michelangelo Buonarroti

Post "RE: Can't schedule scans in 3.0?" has been selected as an answer.
MisterCat RE: Can't schedule scans in 3.0?
Member 1st Jul, 2012 10:34
Score: 0
User Since: 12th Sep 2010
Never mind. After reading other threads, I decided to uninstall 3.0 and (shall we say) revert to 2.0. It's so good to have the real Personal Software Inspector installed again!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Can't schedule scans in 3.0?
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2012 11:09
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Only guessing , but the aim is for the PSI to be set for "automatic updating" and that would include "automtic scans" - not sure when .

On manual , the GUI tells you when you made your last scan and may well warn you when you havenot scanned for some time ; it may even do a weekly scan for you .

If the videos and manuals and the FAQ don't tell you (right click the tray icon and select Privacy Statement for the links) , maybe suuport will respond .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Jul, 2012 21:51
Thank you, Anthony, for this information!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Doctor9fan RE: Can't schedule scans in 3.0?
Member 6th Jul, 2012 18:52
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
System Score: 100%
I manually scanned Tuesday & today I noticed that the last scan was Thursday so I think it will auto scan every two days. Tbh though there's nothing in the history to say that it did auto scan.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Jul, 2012 19:10
Thank you for your input, Virginia! I sure wish there was a way to schedule these scans. The last scan (of my machine) is listed as having been completed on July 1st at 1:10 a.m., during one of my night-owl sessions; and the next scan is scheduled for July 8th at that same time. Thing is, my machine is rarely running at that time of day! I'll have to wait and see what, if anything, happens at the weekend.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jul, 2012 19:40
on 6th Jul, 2012 19:10, MisterCat wrote:
Thank you for your input, Virginia! I sure wish there was a way to schedule these scans. The last scan (of my machine) is listed as having been completed on July 1st at 1:10 a.m., during one of my night-owl sessions; and the next scan is scheduled for July 8th at that same time. Thing is, my machine is rarely running at that time of day! I'll have to wait and see what, if anything, happens at the weekend.

I'm hoping that running a manual scan - say at 10.00am - will allow it to auto scan at the same time either every day, every other day or at least once a week, unfortunately there's nothing in the history about the scan Thursday so can't tell when it did scan other than it must've been while the computer was awake. I don't know whether you've already tried running a manual scan at the time you'd prefer it to run an auto scan MisterCat to see whether it does run at the same time again.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2012 20:14

Hello again ,

I'm set to run PSI3.0 on boot with "auto-updating" NOT selected .

I got an auto-scan today (no actual time referenced) but it is 7 days since my last (Friday) scan ; I cannot see any other "obvious" record of this event though if I look (if I get the time) I might see something in the log files .

These threads are trying to elucidate/illuminate scanning and other ill-defined happenings :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/128...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/129...

So far , Support are conspicuous by their lack of input and it is now the weekend !!

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
AlMac99 RE: Can't schedule scans in 3.0?
Member 6th Jul, 2012 20:18
Score: 6
User Since: 16th Apr 2011
You are correct.
Scans cannot be scheduled in 3.0 nor in 2.0.

It is something many of us have suggested as a future enhancement.

--
-
Alister Wm Macintyre
Was this reply relevant?
+1
AlMac99 RE: Can't schedule scans in 3.0?
Member 6th Jul, 2012 20:22
Score: 6
User Since: 16th Apr 2011
on 6th Jul, 2012 19:10, MisterCat wrote:
Thing is, my machine is rarely running at that time of day! I'll have to wait and see what, if anything, happens at the weekend.

I will be interested to find out if, at time of reboot, when PSI is relaunched from Start menu, if it does a scan, if one is due, like happens with my anti-virus.

I use AVG, have it set to update, scan, etc. in the wee hours, when I go to bed, but leave the PC powered up. If I go out of town, I power down as much stuff as possible, when I am not home, then upon return, boot up PC, and boom, there goes scan by AVG which was smart enough to know that it did not run when normally scheduled.

I will be interested to see if PSI has that same level of smarts.

--
-
Alister Wm Macintyre
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2012 21:43

Hi ,

When trying to run an update installer , the PSI checks every minute or so to see if it can run ; so , I'm guessing , if the 7 days are up , the scan will run as soon after boot as is possible - I seem to remember this happening to me with version 2.0 ..

The new scan time will be 7 days hence in version 2.0 and shown as such in the "scan" module ; version 3.0 will merely show the last day the scan was run .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Jul, 2012 22:38
I'll try that manual-scan idea of yours, Virginia, to see if it sticks time-wise. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for those links, Anthony! One wonders if the lack of professional Secunia input on this matter is due to corporate policy or lack of sufficient staffing, or both.

Alister, I too am hoping Personal Software Inspector has those same smarts as Anti-Virus Guard exhibited in seeking an Internet connection. I'm guessing it probably has, but we shall see.

Well, I'm going to (manually) run a PSI scan later today and will report the next scheduled scan's time. By the way, just to reiterate, I'm running version 2 after having uninstalled version 3.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jul, 2012 18:51
on 6th Jul, 2012 22:38, MisterCat wrote:
I'll try that manual-scan idea of yours, Virginia, to see if it sticks time-wise. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for those links, Anthony! One wonders if the lack of professional Secunia input on this matter is due to corporate policy or lack of sufficient staffing, or both.

Alister, I too am hoping Personal Software Inspector has those same smarts as Anti-Virus Guard exhibited in seeking an Internet connection. I'm guessing it probably has, but we shall see.

Well, I'm going to (manually) run a PSI scan later today and will report the next scheduled scan's time. By the way, just to reiterate, I'm running version 2 after having uninstalled version 3.

Good luck MisterCat, today ver 3.0 scanned again so it seems to auto-scan every two days after running a manual scan so am content with that, ver 2.0 did scan every week for me after setting it to scan every Tuesday, the only change with that was if the scan was delayed for some reason (say the scan didn't run until 11am) & then it would auto-scan at 11am the following Tuesday.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Jul, 2012 19:25
Ta da! Yes, Virginia, there is a ... bit of good news; and it's thanks to your suggestion and all the other input this thread has received. To wit:

Last & Next Full System Scan

The last full system scan:
6. Jul 2012, 19:21

The next scheduled full system scan is on:
13. Jul 2012, 19:21

So! I ran a manually-activated scan and--Lo!--the time of day stuck. We'll see what Friday the 13th has in store....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+