Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Opinions & Loading, PSI 3 What should I see on my screen

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
keith1937 Opinions & Loading, PSI 3 What should I see on my screen
Member 1st Jul, 2012 08:59
Ranking: 12
User Since: 9th Apr, 2011
System Score: N/A
What I did notice was when I started it up last night for the first time I saw the PSI Page and in the red all I saw was "LOADING" I came back a few minutes later to find it had all finished.

I did not see "Scanning for outdated programs" or any thing else.

But if I clicked on "Scan again" I saw "Scanning for outdated programs" icon etc.

First impression its new, its busy and that was the reason it was telling me it was "Loading".

If there is no "Scanning for outdated programs" at the start up, why not?

A Back Arrow would certainly assist when moving through the tags Bottom LH of page.

Keith

keith1937 RE: Opinions & Loading, PSI 3 What should I see on my screen
Member 3rd Jul, 2012 06:48
Score: 12
User Since: 9th Apr 2011
65 looks and not one reply?

I just want to know if its me or what is going on?

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Opinions & Loading, PSI 3 What should I see on my screen
Handling Contributor 3rd Jul, 2012 10:13
Score: 11793
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Keith,
I have only got version 3 installed on a test PC. What U see appears to be normal. I think there is different wording being used when PSI loads the Interface.

Looks like "loading" in Version 3 has replaced "verifying Internet connection" followed by "waiting for data to load" in Version 2.

Both version 2 & 3 give U a clear initial indicator of the status of your system from the Tasktray icon. If green all should be OK in that PSI should have completed all the tasks necessary to give that result.

I think with the back button U are referring to navigation from the programme page with all the icons back to the initial opening (home) page?

If so that facility is not available nor is there an abort option if U wish to stop a scan.

I suspect no one has answered your query because version 3 is designed for full automation or the user help offered by clicking "Need Help?" on the interface.

There are no troubleshoot features with this version. If any questions/problems arise not covered by the programme help line it is reliant on direct Secunia Support - if they do not respond to the Forum in a timely manner the email address is support@secunia.com.

Hope this helps a bit.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Jul, 2012 11:06
Hello Maurice

Thank you again I thought you would reply if I added that last reply

Both version 2 & 3 give U a clear initial indicator of the status of your system from the Tasktray icon. If green all should be OK in that PSI should have completed all the tasks necessary to give that result.

This is where I am confused all I can see is the Secunia page with a red bar across the bottom.
In that bar is "Loading" and nothing else.

In the task Bar I only see the "red Secunia icon" and it does not change colour even when finished.

The next thing I see is telling me my score is 100% (as usual)

Now if I click "Scan again" I can see the orange icon and a green progress bar and Scanning for outdated programs

This automatically tells me some thing is happening

I hope you understand my non computer language.

All I am asking or suggesting is should that be on the same page as "Loading" so that you can see something is happening.

As it stands now it could be loading and that is all which was often the case with "2"

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Jul, 2012 12:16

Keith,
I understand. I will create some screen shots, with explanations, on my test PC of the sequence of events so U can relate it exactly to what your can see.

It could take a while. In the interim can U check your Secunia User ID is present?
To do this:

Open REGEDIT

a. XP - Go to Start>Run>in the box that appears type regedit >click OK on the box>U are now in the Registry.
b. Vista & Windows 7 Users - Click Start>type regedit in the search box>REGEDIT.EXE will appear at the top of the list>click it>from the prompt allow the programme to run>U are now in the Registry.

Once in the Registry navigate to here - HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Secunia>PSI

Click on PSI - in the right hand pane U should see a string called User ID - under Data is there a long string of letters & numbers present?

Click the red X top right to exit the Registry.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Opinions & Loading, PSI 3 What should I see on my screen
Expert Contributor 3rd Jul, 2012 12:33
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Keith and Maurice ,

I currently have the PSI version 3 loaded to run on boot but without "auto-updating" .

When I open the GUI from the tray all I see is the "Loading" thing and after maybe a minute I see the date of my last scan and the score for that scan . It does not scan during loading but the psia.exe process is active with the Secunia servers . What I do not know atm is whether the GUI will later tell me that it is a long time since I scanned nor if it will auto run a weekly scan , as per version 2.0 .

Loading and scanning run the psi.exe process and for some people (me , for example) that uses very high levels of CPU and RAM ; Secunia are aware of the problem .

What is not clear to me is when , if you opt for "auto-updating" by the PSI , then does it run a scan every time the PSI loads on boot or perhaps when you open the GUI (thus "loading" might also include scanning) . In 2.0 you see the last scan results and need to manually select a scan to "update" your system .

There are many problems with "wording" , so you might wish to ask Secunia support direct for clarification , if they do not appear here .

AFAIK , the colour of your tray icon "should" reflect your last scan results as held on the Secunia servers , picked up from there by the psia.exe process and fed to you in the GUI (run by the psi.exe) . Again , you might help us all by getting support to clarify .

Hope that helps :)

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jul, 2012 04:52
b. Vista & Windows 7 Users - Click Start>type regedit in the search box>REGEDIT.EXE will appear at the top of the list>click it>from the prompt allow the programme to run>U are now in the Registry.

Once in the Registry navigate to here - HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Secunia>PSI

Click on PSI - in the right hand pane U should see a string called User ID - under Data is there a long string of letters & numbers present?

Click the red X top right to exit the Registry.

Hello Maurice

I followed all those steps to the letter.

My next question is what have I done and why?

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jul, 2012 05:20
Maurice & Anthony

I am using W7

I closed every thing then did a restart.

Ran Secunia again.

There was no difference at all.

As usual 100% score

I opened the Task Bar (bottom RH corner) and it is showing me the green Secunia Icon.

I have closed Secunia and the green Icon is still there, when I move the cursor arrow over it it tells me "All programs are up to date"

It looks like every thing is working perfectly except I do not see any thing happening.

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Jul, 2012 11:04
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2012 11:06
Keith,
This was the question in my post when U were in the Registry.

From your recent actions & results it does look like this aspect is OK but worth checking.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jul, 2012 11:20
Hello Maurice

I think you know by now I can follow a step by step instructions.

Tick that box its OK there.

Thank you Maurice.

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Jul, 2012 11:29
Are U at your PC now?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jul, 2012 06:25
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2012 06:27
Hello Maurice

I am usually at my computer 1-4pm most days but that is Aust Eastern standard time.

What were you thinking about?

My correct time now is Thur 2.27pm

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 6th Jul, 2012 23:36
Keith,
Sorry for the delay. No doubt U have read mine & Anthony's posts here:
https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/12...

I have been trying to put together a few pictures that explains it a bit more for U. Trouble is that some of it is guesswork & cannot really be firmed up until Secunia answer a few questions. Judging by their activity on this Forum we could be in for a long wait.

I note U are fairly happy with version 3 except U want more detail? If that is correct it may be worth waiting until the end of the month when they appear to be releasing a maintenance update (in our language that means bug fixes & an upgrade with new features) - hopefully that will include much more detail on how it all works via the User Manual.

U could of course also consider reverting back to version 2 on a permanent basis or until such time as Secunia sort out version 3.

The version 2 link is below my Signature Block if required. Just click the link & it will auto uninstall 3 & then install 2 once U accept the EULA. Despite adverse comments on the Forum with this procedure my test, just carried out, indicates it works perfectly.

I was going to offer my email address. It is easier to put together graphics & explanations of what U were looking for using email because I can use Microsoft Office. I will try next week to tie up with your timings if U are interested in my address?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jul, 2012 04:19
Hello Maurice

Its running perfectly its just an info thing.

Thanking you again

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer