Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Learning to Iove the PSI version 3

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Anthony Wells Learning to Iove the PSI version 3
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2012 10:10
Ranking: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A

Hello ,

I said during early 3Beta testing of the PSI that I thought that the final version design would depend on the efficiency of the SPS silent installers and the aim of reducing the massive bad guy target of patchable insecure/vulnerable software (with known patches not workarounds available) .

Secunia seem to think that their SPS is ready for the big time and have produced PSI 3 to run on boot and to automatcally(when possible) or manually offer their SPS installers . Cutting edge technology available to us all for FREE

Target users for version 3 ?? The silent majority who are only interested in having a "safe" computer where the firewall , A/V , etc do thier job . How they do it , what they did and why is of minimal interest and thgat includes "security updaters" .

Does that include you ?? If you are reading here in the Forum this probably not .

Will there be problems ?? It's a computer , stupid (question) .

Is there a solution ?? Either go back to version 2.0 , which will (hopefully) be available and "bug supported" in the long term ; it would be terrible to lose all that extra "tecchie" stuff ,

or

run the PSI version 3 and see whether it really is as good as it wishes to be and when there are problems try and help those mosqt in need .

With my eyesight , I love BIG icons ; I just wish they were all available in the GUI (a lot of default/non-specific ones) and , for the nth time of asking , that the script/writing underneath the icon be in BOLD BLACK font :(((((((( .

There are real problems of CPU and RAM usage by the GUI /psi.exe process ; but the same CPU/RAM happens when my Chrome browser silently updates (very often , as I run the Dev Channel and for that reason have stopped using the Canary alongside) . On my old XP SP3 , I have learnt to leave the system to warm up and do its daily updating for 5 miutes after I boot before starting to work . I'm sure a superfast PC with W7 64 bit will take everything in it's stride .

There will be lots of other problems , the Beta was never able to autoupdate Java for me . That is a must if the new user is not to get totally lost from the start ; support failed to respond to this and other problems during Beta testing so I can only hope they have done something about it .

Finally , 3 does not encourage learning about security as such ; then again that is not everone's cup of tea .

Brekky time .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela

No one has replied to this thread yet - be the first
This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability