Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 3.0 Hugh Disappointment

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Tunaman PSI 3.0 Hugh Disappointment
Member 1st Jul, 2012 17:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
I'll add my 2 cents worth of disappointment to the growing list. I also have gone back to Version 2.0.0.4003 for many of the reasons discussed.

I would recommend that anyone reading this post should also read the post by Anthony Wells on July 1, 2012 at 10:23. And follow his link for some good observations.

From my perspective, it appears that Secunia developed Version 3.0 for the large volume of users that want nothing to do with Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Phishing or outdated program vulnerability problems. They don't care what the problem is - "Just fix it and let me get on with updating my Facebook page." You know they're out there. Many of them don't even run an AV program. And these people are the ones whose PC eventually gets hacked and becomes a “zombie”.

My disappointment with Secunia is that when they sent out the E-Mail notifying us of the release of Version 3.0, they didn't indicate that this was a "dumbed-down" version lacking the details and controls of Version 2.0 and that for those users that like the interface of Version 2.0, they should probably stay with that version AND that support would continue for Version 2.0 until such time as an update to Version 2.0 was needed and released.

You'll note that I don't consider Version 3.0 to be an update to Version 2.0. I feel it is a new version designed for a different user who cares less about what is happening to their PC so long as it takes care of a potential problem.

I (to my regret) did not participate in the Beta testing of Version 3.0 so I can't really complain. Maybe during the Beta there was an explanation as to the intended user.

In any case, I'm still very happy with Version 2.0.0.4003 and I'm glad Secunia will continue supporting this version. I rely on it to keep my programs updated.

Keep up the good work, Secunia. But please don't forget your users that "like to know how the engine works" as opposed to those who want simply to "turn the key and step on the pedal."

Tunaman

M.Stengaard RE: PSI 3.0 Hugh Disappointment
Secunia Official 2nd Jul, 2012 15:47
Score: 5
User Since: 6th Mar 2012
Hi Tunaman,

Thank you for your inputs, they are much appreciated.

You are absolutely right; we developed the PSI 3.0 with the "average PC user" in mind, so yes, the primary target group is not exactly the technical experts.

Let me give you a little background info: When we set out to develop the PSI 3.0, the objective was (and still is) to SIGNIFICANTLY improve the state of security worldwide. Had we wanted to "merely" double the number of PSI users, we could probably have added a few new features and have achieved the goal. But if we should 10x or 20x double the number of PSI users worldwide, we believe it takes something completely different, namely a simpler user interface, focus on the core functionality (software updating), multiple languages and a lot more automation. So with the PSI 3.0 we are trying to reach far beyond the technical confident users to also offer a solution to the people that simply just want it to work. Exactly as you describe.

But we are continously evaluating how to improve the solution, and we for instance have a maintenance release scheduled for end of July with a few additional features and bug fixes, so the product is very much evolving.

I am happy though that you like the PSI 2.0, and as mentioned elsewhere, we have no plans of dicontinuing this. Further, we are very must aware that there is a lot of users out there that also like to "mess around with the engine", and I promise you that we have something in the making for all of you guys as well. So stay tuned for more news later this year.

Thank you for your support and inputs,

Morten Stengaard
Secunia
Fallrug46 RE: PSI 3.0 Hugh Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 16:09
Score: 4
User Since: 29th Jun 2012
System Score: 86%
Thank you Tunaman & M.Stengaard.

I agreed with averything you said and also like version 2.
I'm glad M.Stengaard posted his message.
It is a good idea for getting more users.
Can wait to see what comes out for version 2 users.
Or how version 3 evolves.
More users the better.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: PSI 3.0 Hugh Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 17:44
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
I have not been accessing the PSI site although I did keep it on my hard drive. Today, I saw the new version message and downloaded it without reading thew comments first.
I truly feel the integrity of Secunia has been shaken up. On this site enough comments were made when Vista was dropped into the market place. Now, secunia has done the same with PSI.. Don't try to fix something that is not broken. Don't force this version on present users. The end result will be LESS MEMBERS! NOT MORE.. I plan on deleting it from my computer. Is it possible that the plan is to discontinue the free application. It would explain why you did not listen to your critics.
Ruth E. Hill
07/02/2012
12:42HRS. ADST.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tunaman RE: PSI 3.0 Hugh Disappointment
Member 2nd Jul, 2012 22:04
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
on 2nd Jul, 2012 15:47, M.Stengaard wrote:
Hi Tunaman,

Thank you for your inputs, they are much appreciated.

You are absolutely right; we developed the PSI 3.0 with the "average PC user" in mind, so yes, the primary target group is not exactly the technical experts.

Let me give you a little background info: When we set out to develop the PSI 3.0, the objective was (and still is) to SIGNIFICANTLY improve the state of security worldwide. Had we wanted to "merely" double the number of PSI users, we could probably have added a few new features and have achieved the goal. But if we should 10x or 20x double the number of PSI users worldwide, we believe it takes something completely different, namely a simpler user interface, focus on the core functionality (software updating), multiple languages and a lot more automation. So with the PSI 3.0 we are trying to reach far beyond the technical confident users to also offer a solution to the people that simply just want it to work. Exactly as you describe.

But we are continously evaluating how to improve the solution, and we for instance have a maintenance release scheduled for end of July with a few additional features and bug fixes, so the product is very much evolving.

I am happy though that you like the PSI 2.0, and as mentioned elsewhere, we have no plans of dicontinuing this. Further, we are very must aware that there is a lot of users out there that also like to "mess around with the engine", and I promise you that we have something in the making for all of you guys as well. So stay tuned for more news later this year.

Thank you for your support and inputs,

Morten Stengaard
Secunia

Hi, Morton,

Many thanks for your reply to my comments. You have restored my faith in Secunia. (Actually, I never lost it, but your reply gave me additional confidence in what you are trying to do.)

I do hope you still have a team working on Version 2.0 to maybe add some of the enhancements which were brought up in the forum following the release of version 2.0. One of those enhancements I submitted was for a feature to allow scheduling of a scan on a more frequent basis. I, personally, would like to run the scan on a daily basis as I do my AV and anti-spyware scans.

Thanks again for your comments and keep up the good work.

Tunaman

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+