Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Skype for Windows 4.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
JohnJhpiego Skype for Windows 4.x
Member 4th Feb, 2009 23:44
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Will Skype 4.x be added to the list of detected programs?

Version 4.0.0.206 Official release. Release date: February 3, 2009.

SapperSafe RE: Skype for Windows 4.x
Member 19th Oct, 2009 19:59
Score: 0
User Since: 28th Dec 2008
Last edited on 19th Oct, 2009 20:00
Having Applied the solution to a Skype error, it then leads me to a Skype download/install window. I already have Skype installed, hence the error. What do I have to do to clear this error?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Skype for Windows 4.x
Expert Contributor 19th Oct, 2009 20:22
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
on 19th Oct, 2009 19:59, SapperSafe wrote:
Having Applied the solution to a Skype error, it then leads me to a Skype download/install window. I already have Skype installed, hence the error. What do I have to do to clear this error?

Skype is already included in my Patched prog list.Maybe you should suggest it to monitor on your own ? The current up to date version is 4.1.0.179 ( having upgraded within the last few days). Hope the info helps.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Stephen N. Cohen RE: Skype for Windows 4.x
Member 3rd Nov, 2009 22:49
Score: 1
User Since: 22nd Dec 2007
Yes, the problem seems to be the Secunia scanner which is not detecting the fact that 4.1.0.179 is up and running rather than the version which the scanner says is present. The same thing is true for Apple QuickTime, which has downloaded a new version number higher than that reported as insecure by the Secunia scan, and for MS Silverlight, in which - again - I am running a later version than that detected by the Secunia scan. In all 3 cases, rerunning the scan fails to clear the Insecure designation and fails to report the newer versions.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Skype for Windows 4.x
Expert Contributor 4th Nov, 2009 09:07
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
on 3rd Nov, 2009 22:49, Stephen N. Cohen wrote:
Yes, the problem seems to be the Secunia scanner which is not detecting the fact that 4.1.0.179 is up and running rather than the version which the scanner says is present. The same thing is true for Apple QuickTime, which has downloaded a new version number higher than that reported as insecure by the Secunia scan, and for MS Silverlight, in which - again - I am running a later version than that detected by the Secunia scan. In all 3 cases, rerunning the scan fails to clear the Insecure designation and fails to report the newer versions.

Are you sure the three older versions/files have been removed/deleted ? If not, that would explain why Secunia is still detecting them.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Stephen N. Cohen RE: Skype for Windows 4.x
Member 4th Nov, 2009 10:13
Score: 1
User Since: 22nd Dec 2007
I found the problem, and it was my fault, not the Secunia scanner. The old, bad versions were on a backup copy on a different drive, and of course they weren't going to get removed no matter how many times I updated by current operating copies of the programs! Thanks for suggesting that I look harder.

Steve
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer