Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: changes require Positive attitude

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
MaritimeRider changes require Positive attitude
Member 4th Jul, 2012 16:06
Ranking: 22
User Since: 15th Mar, 2009
System Score: 100%
Most people do not like change. I did not like the update ; however, could not reinstall an older form of PSI so decided to give PSI 3 another shot. It is not invasive, scans faster and
with the icon in my task bar, the icon page is more efficient. I can tell when I have or do not have an issue. That is basically what I need. I rarely miss an update, but the insurance is there. As for the forums, I use it when I have free time or if I need assistance. Help is always available. It was the forum that showed me how to find an outdated program or an extra copy of one. Over time I have watched Michael guide a new user through different steps and always with intelligence and patience. I have faith in Secunia PSI and since I did not test the beta, I will accept the changes graciously. Give it a chance and if you have an issue, go to the forum. If you know how to do it better, reply to Secunia. In the meantime stop being so negative.

Post "RE: changes require Positive attitude" has been selected as an answer.
keith1937 RE: changes require Positive attitude
Member 5th Jul, 2012 06:37
Score: 12
User Since: 9th Apr 2011
System Score: N/A
I am more than happy with V3 it looks very tidy and it does it all for you.

My only concern is I would like to see it working not just the Loading.

Maurice is checking this out for me and I am not worried one little bit, as long as I know its working the way it should be.

V3 is not slowing up loading my computer like others only reason I control my log-on.

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: changes require Positive attitude
Handling Contributor 5th Jul, 2012 11:28
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2012 11:47
Ruth,
I agree that many do not like change. The uproar when Microsoft introduced "the ribbon" interface in Office 12 (2007) shows how right U can be.

That said,I am not sure that is the same with Secunia in relation to PSI. Rather than attempt to streamline a programme & make it better for all users they have created (in many peoples eyes) a downgrade version of existing functioning models (version 1 & 2). The fact that those early models have (& still have) longstanding unfixed annoying bugs should not be a reason to create a new model which stripped away excellent security features that catered for everyone.

Many of us did join the so called BETA testing. As a result many excellent suggestions & comments were made both on &,in my case,off the Forum.

The fact that those ideas appear to have been completely ignored without explanations will cause users to react accordingly.

My above statement is easily quantified by checking the Forum. Individual threads which have excellent comments, requests for further information on how things work, suggestions for improvements & potential bug reports lie haphazardly everywhere unanswered & in some instances locked under the 7 day rule.

Secunia Support have belatedly decided to "cherry pick" who they reply to. Everyone deserves an answer given that Secunia asked for feedback in the first instance. I suspect the total lack of communication by Secunia & frustration by users in being ignored is the root cause of alleged negative thinking rather than reluctance to change.

Change should be for the better. As U can see from the Forum that is not apparent with the launch of version 3 & many have reverted to version 2.

From a personal standpoint I think I did my bit offline. I submitted a 5 page report on the initial Version 3 in March hence I have not commented before on the Forum. As far as I am aware it was passed "upstairs" & to date I have not received any reply on the contents. I am reluctant to publish that report but checking back it looks like its contents have also been totally ignored like those online.

On a personal note one wonders why U "could not install an older version". Maybe that was because U could not find a suitable download link to them? If that is the reason I am not surprised - Secunia moved the download page so that users could only see version 3 - a little research was necessary to find the original page where the version 1 download link has also been axed although it is still supported - the links are below my Signature Block if ever required.

In a nutshell, I would submit that members are being positive - they have produced ideas & have made a positive decision to revert back to version 1 or 2 rather than retain a piece of bloated (in CPU usage terms) featureless software which does not meet their requirements. Keeping version 3 installed in the hope it will improve could be wishful thinking. If it is not in BETA then it should be complete as per the original Secunia Justification of Requirement if they ever had one.

It could be argued that Secunia are being negative by failing to communicate correctly. Time for them to be positive by answering individual Version 3 threads on the Forum & make the creator feel valued. Why not publish the Spreadsheet with all the excellent enhancements that have been submitted by positive members &, where necessary, give a reason for not including suggestions made into the new product before final release?

Secunia need to convince users that total dependence on them as a result of their fully automatic programme actually works & when it goes wrong they are seen to offer complete & rapid 24/7 direct support. Entries on the Forum indicate this is a distant dream hence some of us prefer to take positive steps to fix our own problems by using the tools of a lesser PSI version.

PS: While collating this post I note that Keith has also responded. His thread here asking for more information is worth reading:
https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/12...

The contents are clear & well presented so why was it necessary for him create a second post trying to get a reasonable reply?

Hopefully after time consuming research I can answer his questions to his satisfaction & the additional items raised by Anthony but where are Secunia Support? An ideal opportunity to promote their product with more details & willingness to respond in a timely manner has been missed again.

I rest my case.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+7
Anthony Wells RE: changes require Positive attitude
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2012 13:52
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2012 13:55
Hi ,

To my mind , the first two Betas were Alpha's and we are still in a Beta with this latest offering .

Same as Keith , I just want to know what is happening/going to happen when the 3.0 loads on boot (mine does) and whether I select "auto-updating" or not (not in my current status) and what is happening during "Loading" .

This is from the User Manual :-

Quote:
Click Scan again to run a new scan, or minimise the Secunia PSI to your taskbar. The Secunia PSI continues to provide background monitoring for insecure program installations.

The Secunia icon on your taskbar will change colour depending on the security status of your system:

Green indicates that all your software is up to date.

Red indicates that you may have outdated software that requires security patching. Double-click the icon to open the Secunia PSI and then click Scan again to start a new scan and install the latest security patches.

You can also right-click the Secunia icon on your taskbar to view the available options.
Unquote

I am far from stupid and am not looking to be obscure but what EXACTLY does this mean (in layman user language) is all I require ; does it apply or change/modify with a change to settings or , in my set up , will the tray icon go red automatically when there is a vulnerability and it is "auto-detected" ?? Also , will "auto-updating" start without a new scan and/or is there an auto scan on boot .

If so this is a big change from version 2.0 and a very positive/major step : ie: no need for regular scans or scheduled scans . Red icon = run scan and update at your time of choosing. Now that is worth having in any version of the PSI ; or is it compromised/modified at boot time

Unlike Maurice , I really do not have the/his valuable time nor a test machine to look for the answer(s) , whereas someone in support must have the answer at his/her fingertips .

Take care

Anthony

PS: excuse edits , connection problems .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Handling Contributor 7th Jul, 2012 00:57
Anthony,
Looks like your request for more information has once again fallen on stony ground.

While we wait perhaps time for a giggle factor. As part of my investigation I understand this may be circulating around Secunia HQ which may help U and others if accepted by the Project Manager?

https://qnycpa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pYBjzPFX9Kg...

Have a nice weekend.

On a serious note I have updated the thread to Keith.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
keith1937 RE: changes require Positive attitude
Member 7th Jul, 2012 04:14
Score: 12
User Since: 9th Apr 2011
Hello Maurice

Thank you.

I notice a Green Secunia Icon in the bottom RH Task Bar.

Is this is telling my most recent score was 100% or its up to date as of now.

If I move the cursor arrow to it, it tells me "All programs are up to date"

One thing I do know its running perfectly on my computer and that makes me very happy.

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
martyhalpern RE: changes require Positive attitude
Member 7th Jul, 2012 05:36
Score: 5
User Since: 9th Jul 2008
I think we should change the name of 3.0 to Secunia PSI-FD -- the "FD" means "For Dummies." I am insulted with this user interface. I now have these huge icons so that I can see the included program from down the street if I leave my drapes open. There isn't even a bloody time on the date stamp as to when the program was last run -- and I need this because it is important for me that the program continues to run overnight. And lastly, there is no option to exclude programs, which I have also used in the past to exclude programs that I know to be out-of-date but are also no longer supported and/or available so that cannot be updated but I still choose to leave them installed. And last, but certainly not least, it takes 3.0 bloody forever to load. Oh, and I almost forgot, the icon doesn't always appear on bootup in the system tray; sometimes it's there, and other times I guess it just gets lazy and refused to load.

- mh
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Handling Contributor 7th Jul, 2012 08:57
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2012 09:18
Keith,
Yes - if U are green all is in order. Please do bear in mind that really means your PC is as safe as U can personally make it but NOT necessarily 100%.

For example it will show Adobe Flash as patched but it remains vulnerable as shown here:

http://secunia.com/advisories/47161/

That is what all the fuss is about on the Forum. Many of the tools in V2 have been stripped out in V3 leaving users reliant on Secunia not only to make these types of issues ABSOLUTELY clear by changing the wording within the programme but also to be much more active on the Forum answering users concerns on how this version really works.

Have a nice weekend.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
MaritimeRider RE: changes require Positive attitude
Member 7th Jul, 2012 19:57
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
This thread could go on indefinatly so on that note I will accept all answers. Just one point
in closing. Since the decision makers didn't listen to the feedback on the beta version,what would it take for them to listen now..
Was this reply relevant?
+3

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+