xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Mozilla Firefox 13.x Downgrade To 10.x. WHY??

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ShanG Mozilla Firefox 13.x Downgrade To 10.x. WHY??
Member 5th Jul, 2012 22:48
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Jul, 2012
System Score: N/A
Not only does Secunia PSI keep asking me to update certain Adobe products that are pay only updates, but it downgraded my Firefox from 13.x to 10.x and lost all my preferences, tabs and pinned tabs. I am not happy at all.

Why did it do this and how do I fix it AND get all my Firefox things back?

Without a suitable answer, I will be uninstalling this program and blogging about my reasons why.

--
Shan

E.Jeppesen RE: Mozilla Firefox 13.x Downgrade To 10.x. WHY??
Secunia Official 6th Jul, 2012 12:20
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Hi
I have looked into this issue and here are some information and clarification which should at least explain a bit about how the PSI works.

When updating Firefox via the PSI you are using the Secunia Packaging System or SPS (please see our FAQ for details). The behaviour of the actual installer inside the SPS is no different than the installer you can get directly from the vendor of the program you are trying to update.

If you have had Mozilla Firefox 13.x installed, and that version ONLY, then the PSI will not perform any updates for Firefox. I can say that with certainty since we do not even have a version rule for Mozilla Firefox 13.x. Until we create a version rule for a specific program, any version of the program will appear as secure, and no update will be offered in the PSI.

Please note that currently, patched and supported versions exist for both Mozilla Firefox 13.x and Mozilla Firefox 10.x.

A possible explanation could be that you already had an old version of Firefox installed somewhere, which the PSI has updated to a secure version. If it is a portable version it may not show up in Ad/Remove Programs, and the installer will not remove the old portable version. If so, your settings should still be preserved in the old portable version of Firefox.

Perhaps this FAQ-entry could be helpful:
“The Secunia PSI has detected a program somewhere on my computer, but where?”
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

As for the Adobe program, that is an issue completely out of our hands. The PSI simply informs you that a program on your computer is affected by a known vulnerability and that the vendor has released a patch to fix the issue. We have seen a few cases where the vendor decides to charge their customers for the update, and many customers have been upset and criticised this procedure. In this situation however, the PSI is simply the messenger.
Anthony Wells RE: Mozilla Firefox 13.x Downgrade To 10.x. WHY??
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2012 22:02
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2012 22:05
Hi ,

Support have probably gone for the weekend , so let me add to what has been said because your/this problem could reoccur .

10.x is for "organisations" and split from 11.x and later some time ago . At the time it caused a lot of problems for PSI users getting 10.x rather than 11.x., but since then all personal PSI users should get 11.x or later and not be changed back down to 10.x .

However , as well as portable versions , if you have an "old" non-default installed version of Ff in say a back up file :eg: one created by the ERUNT software - which the PSI does detect , it will likely run the installer and try to "update/downgrade" your default located browser (as you found out , the hard way) . Only problem being that the back up is not changed but the default is :((((

If you reinstall 13.x and run a PSI scan this could happen all over again ; so you need to find and either delete or create an "ignore rule" for the "old" version.

If you right click the Ff icon and select "Show Details" is there more than one entry ?? Is there more than one Ff icon ??

Which version is shown as being updated in the "History" module - link bottom left of any PSI page ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer