Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jimlarkey Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 7th Jul, 2012 21:19
Ranking: 8
User Since: 7th Jul, 2012
System Score: N/A
The newest v3.0 of PSI has been "dumbed-down" to apparently accommodate clueless users, that the proggie is pretty much worthless. I uninstalled the new v3.0, and rooled back to v2.0. Fortunately i kept the old exe.

I post this challenge to Secunia software engineers.....code the "dumbed-down" version as a default, and offer an "expert-user" interface beneath the dumb gui.

I could enumerate the missing features, but I suspect Secunia knows what they are already. I'm just amazed how a developer can trash their own product.

So my 2˘ to other users considering migrating to the new version....don't.

Doctor9fan RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 7th Jul, 2012 23:40
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
System Score: 100%
I've been using the new version for a couple of days now, so far I've had mixed feelings which only time will tell whether my worries about the limited options available are justified, first I didn't notice any way of running a scheduled scan but two days after running a manual scan I found the programme had auto-scanned, same two days after that. My other worries concern whether once a programme has been updated whether you can rescan that particular programme or whether you have to rescan everything & whether there's an option to manually run an update on any programme which lists an update available, those were great features of ver 2 so would hate to see that either had disappeared; the former especially so.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
lovgren42 RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 8th Jul, 2012 18:11
Score: 8
User Since: 21st Sep 2008
I completely agree!. Like being trapped in a nightmarish toy store from hell...
My guess is that a smartphone/tablet interface by mistake made it into the PC version

I have reverted back to 2.0 and will only upgrade if something is done about the user interface. If not, it will be a sad goodbye when support for 2.0 eventually stops.

Please, Secunia: I have really enjoyed this product and recommended it to lots of people. Do not kill it now...

BTW: The program (at v. 3.0) took a very very long time to load, more than ten times longer than the time it normally takes to do a full scan at v 2.0?
Was this reply relevant?
+8
Eric-JanHteA RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 8th Jul, 2012 21:43
Score: 3
User Since: 8th Jul 2012
Rolled back also to v2.

Eric-Jan H te A
The Netherlands
Was this reply relevant?
+2
tony-c RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 9th Jul, 2012 01:06
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
Absolutely! What are you doing Secunia? The new interface is TOO dumbed down! I've rolled back to v2.0 too.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
jimlarkey RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 9th Jul, 2012 01:20
User Since: 7th Jul 2012
As a convenience for those wishing to rollback:
PSI Download Links......
Version 1.5.0.2 (Supported) http://secunia.com/PSI1Setup.exe
Version 2.0.0.4003 (Supported) http://secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe

Cheers
Was this reply relevant?
+9
darild RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 9th Jul, 2012 10:03
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Jul 2009
Thanks for the post of the old exe. will downgrade as well. 3.0 is way to limited to be useful
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Alvega RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 10th Jul, 2012 00:44
Score: 2
User Since: 9th Jun 2009
I'm downgrading also. 3.0 takes ages to load.
Thanks for the link for 2.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
emmjay200 RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 10th Jul, 2012 16:25
Score: 2
User Since: 24th Dec 2009
I will be staying with V2 also.

Guess the 'stupid phone' look will appeal to some. Not me, I use a real PC.

--
MJ
Was this reply relevant?
+2
IByteTRB RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 10th Jul, 2012 19:30
Score: 4
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
I have to agree with those who are disappointed with the new version 3.0. I generally dislike this trend of 'dumbing down' user interfaces. Also, the icon grid view is a huge waste of space, and quite pointless if it's not actually displayed on a touch screen (but for some reason they still felt they had to hop on that bandwagon, apparently). Why couldn't we have a detailed list view like in v2.0, at the very least as an option?
Then there are the missing features, such as the 'rescan this program' command which is nowhere to be found. Aren't we supposed to get more useful features with an 'upgrade', not less?

I sincerely regret not having downloaded the beta, at least then I might have had a chance to change Secunia's mind about a couple of things before this nasty piece of work saw the light of day...
Was this reply relevant?
+3
UziUzi RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 01:04
Score: 18
User Since: 15th Apr 2010
Sad thing is this is what I and many others said about the first 3.x beta after it
was announced many months ago.

I tried it and removed it within less than a few hours.

Same comments back then, pretty much.

It appears they do not listen well for some reason.

Using Secunia 2.x here and happy with it, despite occasional hiccups.

See no reason to change until they , Secunia, figure out what users want.
(Yes, old PC user since 1984 and up). Not a standard clueless dolt, but not
any genius either. I see no reason for them to not offer simplified for people
easily confused and 'complex' and informative as is 2.x .

Was this reply relevant?
+3
Maurice Joyce RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Handling Contributor 11th Jul, 2012 01:34
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@IByteTRB

As @UziUzi & many others have said not sure one more interested user testing & commenting on version 3 would made a "blind bit of difference".

My lengthy posts here may be of interest:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/12...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jimlarkey RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 02:41
User Since: 7th Jul 2012
Last edited on 11th Jul, 2012 02:45
Maurice, My 2˘...just one data point. Thanks for your link.
Cheers,
Jim
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BartC RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 04:58
Score: 17
User Since: 17th Jun 2008
To jimlarkey... ( and Secunia)

I could not agree more. I just got around to upgrading (??) to v3. What is this need in the software industry to dumb down the GUI. Everyone seems to be getting on this bandwagon. What a shame!

If Secunia really thinks they need a dumb interface then at least allow a switch to an advanced feature set. As jimlarkey said I won't waist time enumerating all the lost tweaks and features, we all know what they are. And, jimlarkey, thanks for the links to v 2 download, as I am now rolling back to an intelligent version of the software.

I’m sure there will be some who will like the simple GUI, but that is no excuse to limit the software and dumb it down.

Why is this called an upgrade, when it contains less features? The only advantage that I see (and it is a stretch) is less time for support techs ... It either works or it doesn’t. But what a way to go.

V2 here I come.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 11th Jul, 2012 04:59
Last edited on 11th Jul, 2012 05:00
One last thought... It also seems to load slower...
bc
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 10:44
Although my complains are the same.

Let us not forget this is a free product and one of the handiest I came across the last few years. I understand the dumbing down as to reach a wider audience. But given the starting point with a more techi interface it would have been nice this was left as a choice. So it is a wise decision that it will return. Although a bit late, given the feedback that was given during the beta of version 3. I hope this will teach Secunia to take their audience more into account.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Swordbyte RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 10:47
Score: 1
User Since: 20th Oct 2011
Have to say that when I "upgraded" the first words that came to my mind also were "dumbed down".....
Can't agree more with above comments! Anyone from Secunia going to comment??
Was this reply relevant?
+1
IByteTRB RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 11:58
Score: 4
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
By the way, I seem to recall that the old PSI v1.0 offered a choice between a Simple and an Advanced mode (come to think of it, I think the simple mode was called 'easy-to-patch programs'), so it's not like nobody at Secunia has ever thought of it... Why not this time?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
md422 RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 13:17
Score: 1
User Since: 2nd Jul 2012
@Swordbyte
Comment from Secunia Official Morten Stengaard at http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/128... 2nd Jul, 2012 14:35
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Secunia Official 11th Jul, 2012 13:50
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
I don't recall us describing PSI 3.x as an "upgrade" to PSI 2.x. Version 1.x, 2.x and 3.x are different programs. All these versions are currently supported and you are free to choose among them.

Regarding the reasoning behind PSI 3.x please see these links:
http://secunia.com/blog/306/
http://secunia.com/blog/320/
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/128...
(the posts by M.Stengaard)
BCJames RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 15:44
User Since: 11th Jul 2012
Last edited on 11th Jul, 2012 15:47
Thanks for the links E., I had read many of the news articles about the changes for a simplified version (like this article http://www.infoworld.com/t/security-management/sec...), but missed some of Secunia's own blog comments about it.

--
Sole Elliptical:http://soleellipticalz.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dwarden RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 16:05
User Since: 23rd Dec 2007
System Score: 100%
total failure

the new interface is still user unfriendly, clunky to bother work with

PSI team completely ignored years of all requests about settings, filters, ignore paths etc.

usability of the program is lower too, why on earth it's telling me that in

Users\Username\Downloads\ there is some .exe not updated

jeez ofcourse because it's old installer ...

program which is unable to determine difference between download and install location is waste of user time
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 11th Jul, 2012 20:20
Last edited on 11th Jul, 2012 20:33
on 11th Jul, 2012 13:50, E.Jeppesen wrote:
I don't recall us describing PSI 3.x as an "upgrade" to PSI 2.x. Version 1.x, 2.x and 3.x are different programs. All these versions are currently supported and you are free to choose among them.
<snip>
(the posts by M.Stengaard)

Oh my E.Jeppesen.. This is quite the quibble. it reminds me of:

"I did not have sex with that woman"

Since it seems that Secunia has become so interested in the common less technical user (which in itself is laudable) let me point something out. When a series of programs have the same name but a sequence of progressing version numbers they are perceived as upgrades. There really is no two ways about this. Change the name if they are separate programs.

But really, it is good to address the needs of the less technical user, BUT one should do so without throwing the hands on user under the bus.

The no brainer here (as many have pointed out) is to have a switchable GUI. Set the default to simple with a flip to an advanced mode. Secunia is missing the user who may be new to computers, and dip their toe in the water with the simple interface, and then progresses to a more knowledgeable hands on approach. In this scenario it would require an UNinstall of v3 and then a hunting for v2 and a REinstall. This make no sense whatsoever.

Additionally, why on earth would a company want to support 3 code bases (esp of a free product) when one with a changeable GUI would do. It would seem to waist time and man hours.

And one other point:

In a blog entry written by Morten R. Stengaard. on the 28th June 2012, this point was made about the new version 3:

(unknown source)

http://secunia.com/blog/320/
Enhancements to existing features: Because we want to simplify the patching process even further and cater to all types of users, we have also revised and enhanced some of the underlying features which will make handling vulnerabilities easier than ever before (integration with the Secunia Corporate Software Inspector (CSI), event log, and ignore rule

My comment:
A total fail! Version 3 does NOT cater to all types of users. And if indeed there are enhanced features, then a user forced to version 2 would be denied those enhanced features.

bc
Was this reply relevant?
+13
Member 11th Jul, 2012 20:46
I am troubled by one other point about some folks from Secunia posting that all three version of PSI are downloadable and supported

While that is technically true, it is not obvious. From the home page if one clicks on the link to PSI, one is only offered version 3. There is NO page that explains the differences between the three programs, and presents them as separate downloads. If in fact these three versions of PSI are meant to be three separate programs then one should not have to comb through the forum posts to find out about that.

Perhaps the three download links that have been provided by various Secunia personnel have been provided as an after thought to quell the riot .
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Maurice Joyce RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Handling Contributor 11th Jul, 2012 22:28
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@BartC

Well stated.

Secunia have never published a download list of all versions available on this Forum. On day 1 of the final release I noted they had created a page which gave the impression only version 3 was available.

I quick search & I found the old page but the download link to version 1 had (& still has) been removed.

I published the links to older versions below my Signature Block from my archives & most certainly do not work for or represent Secunia in any way.

These links have been copied by various members to help others migrate back to a more suitable version to meet their requirements.

Secunia have clearly stated on this Forum that all three versions are supported hence I have included that detail against each download link & updated version 1 to supported rather than (Supported I Think!) which I posted originally.

Your other point is very valid. AT NO time, until today,did Secunia ever state that all the versions were meant to be different by design & users could take their pick.

They are toying with words & making it up as they go along because version 3 has hit the ground faster than a lead duck!!!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+9
pderas43 RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 11th Jul, 2012 22:46
User Since: 13th Apr 2012
Also rolling back to 2.0. 3.0 is downright awful!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Secunia Official 12th Jul, 2012 15:56
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Thank you for making us aware that the download link for PSI 1.x had been removed. It was done in error, most likely during the launch of PSI 3.x. It has now been corrected and the link can be found at this page:
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/
nolme RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Member 12th Jul, 2012 16:21
User Since: 26th Jul 2011
I agree.

I've noticed with v3.x that programs are not listed.
For example, VLC on my computer is in 2.0.1.
PSI2.x reports updade to 2.0.2.
PSI3.x reports VLC OK.

Other applications are affected.

Why this regression ?

Vincent
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jul, 2012 17:44
For all those complaining about hard to find back-versions.

Have you people never heard off the good practice not to dispose your older version programs before being convinced of the quality of the newer version.

In Holland "Never dispose your old shoes before you got new ones". I would add to this: "Make sure they fit and walk comfortable"
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Disappointed w PSI v3.0, Keep v2.0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2012 23:14
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Vincent ,

The PSI 3.0.x has taken some 6 days (from Friday last) to finally recognise that VLC has updated to to version 2.0.2 ; Secunia themselves were 3 days after the others in producing their Advisory .

This length of delay is unusual ; support have not commented on the problem despite several thread references - don't hold your breath :))

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+