Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia is always too late

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
The_Hulk Secunia is always too late
Member 11th Jul, 2012 20:57
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Jul, 2012
System Score: N/A
Who can give me a answer? I always scan my pc with PSI but the detection of update and patches is always too late.

For example

I scan my pc and FileHippo.com and Skype (the program self) tells me there is a new version. Secunia tells me all the programms are up-to-date. False! Error!

I scan my pc and FileHippo.com and VLC-player (the program self) tells me there is a new version and hundred bugs are fixed etc. Secunia tells me all the programms are up-to-date. False! Error!

I scan my pc and FileHippo.com and Speccy (the program self) tells me there is a new version. Secunia tells me all the programms are up-to-date. This is false! Error!

What does PSI do? Always too late with detecting the programs!

The whole program PSI is thus worthless and has no value. Constant say you have a score of 100% is a lie. It's a proven fact that these three programs are not up-to-date.

The path is SSD (only drive to scan) > c:\
I have Windows 7 64 bits and c:\Program Files and c:\Program Files (x86)

ddmarshall RE: Secunia is always too late
Dedicated Contributor 11th Jul, 2012 21:46
Score: 1208
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
The Filehippo update checker and PSI have different purposes. PSI only updates for Security updates. Read the description of the program here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... and the fifth FAQ in http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
The_Hulk RE: Secunia is always too late
Member 12th Jul, 2012 00:27
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Jul 2012
Thanks for the answer. I do not agree. New versions includes often patches and several fixed bugs and they are safety risks to.

The word up-to-date is than not right/oké, because most people are thinking that they have the latest version. This is the real meaning of up-to-date.

But I understand, I wrote Secunia feedback for many times and I'm reading on this forum also suggestions en opinions but Secunia is not interested. I'm uninstalling PSI because I want all the latest and new versions and Secunia does nothing and is always to late. My advise to all people is, use FileHippo.com Update Checker and updatecheckers from the programs self and you don't need Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia is always too late
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2012 22:24
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

As ddm points out , the PSI is a "vulnerability" checker and is far more efficient at that job - usually - than such as FileHippo in this job .

FileHippo's "Update Checker" is covers far fewer programmes/software when compared to the PSI and the biggest attack target for the badguys is the software which has known patches but which is left vulnerable - here we are talking days and weeks not "several/many" hours of delay in patching . Whether a "bug/cosmetic eye candy fix" version is more up to date and therefore "safer" is a totally different kettle of fish ; in fact they can sometimes break things .

You are quite correct that the PSI was "days" late in picking out and confirming the "security" update in the VLC Player ; Secunia itself was 3 days late compared to Firefox in presenting the relevant Secunia Advisory . PSI 3.0 then took 3 extra days to recgnise the update in it's scanner . In my experience , such a delay is highly unusual .

FileHippo is often ahead of Secunia as is Firefox when it comes to alerting me to updates but we are talking hours and sometimes the PSI is first ; no matter even with zero day exploits the results pan out .

Getting rid of Secunia's PSI over a "stropp" about one late call is most ill considered and you put yourself at considerably added risk . A better alternative is to use Maurice Joyce's system of RSS/email version update advice for each of your installed programmes .

Take extra care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability