Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Failure to Launch

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
CHARLIEC201 Failure to Launch
Member 20th Jul, 2012 16:18
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Jul, 2012
System Score: N/A
I recently downloaded PSI 3.0 on to my computer. I am using Windows XP. Everytime I try to open Secunia PSI it starts to come up, then shuts down. I have read through all the FAQ's and checked all my internet settings, administrative tools, and security setting in my Symantec Endpoint Protection. All the settings appear to be correct. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times with no change.

richpl RE: Failure to Launch
Member 22nd Jul, 2012 21:00
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Jul 2012
I have a similar, if not the same problem. I got the well known problem where version 2 stalls at "verifying Internet connection". So I upgraded to version 3.0, and now it is stuck in exactly the same place, simply says "Loading ..." and does nothing else.

I know it is running in the background because the icon was green and is now red, telling me that a manual update is required to something. But I can't tell what it is.

I have followed all of the advice in the FAQ to solve this problem, and have removed and re-installed several times, but to no avail. Would be an excellent product, but utility severely limited by this problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
K.Hussain RE: Failure to Launch
Secunia Official 23rd Jul, 2012 12:43
Score: 60
User Since: 12th May 2011
Hi,

Can I ask both of you to send a screenshot of your trusted sites in IE to Support@secunia.com

Please remember to attach the file instead of insert into mail.

--
Kind regards,

Kamran Hussain
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
DanW_12 RE: Failure to Launch
Member 23rd Jul, 2012 23:49
User Since: 23rd Jul 2012
I have been having this same problem for some time on an XP system I have. Before writing this comment, I de-installed ver. 2.x and installed 3.0x. As the others have stated, the PSI screen comes up and then almost immediately disappears. The app is still listed in the quick launch portion of the task bar.

I have NO entries in Internet Security -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Trusted Sites.

Before uninsalling ver. 2.x a while ago, I tried adding https://secunia.com, but I observed no difference in behavior.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have PSI installed on other machines and I recommend it to all my family and friends. But this is baffling!

Dan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 24th Jul, 2012 10:12
Hi

Dan_12, it was this link "https://*.secunia.com/" which was supposed to be added and not "https://secunia.com".

If it was just typing error, and it still doesn't work, you are more than welcome to contact us at support@secunia.com.

--
Kind regards,

Kamran Hussain
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
Anthony Wells RE: Failure to Launch
Expert Contributor 24th Jul, 2012 14:12
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

The instantly disappearing/failure to launch window problem is not the same as sticking at "verifying ...." It is a specific XP SP3 problem which used to be dealt with in the FAQ's under sticking at "verifying ..." . I requested that the fix be retained when Support fiddled with the User Manual and FAQ's ; it was not retained . .

Perhaps Kamran will post the fix here for you or yopu might find it "trolling" thru' the threads . I'll try and look when I get a moment .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Secunia Official 24th Jul, 2012 14:34
Hi,

To resolve the XP SP3 Issue:
1) Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
Please ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text
services for this program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

--
Kind regards,

Kamran Hussain
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
Expert Contributor 24th Jul, 2012 14:38
Last edited on 24th Jul, 2012 14:43
Hi Kamran ,

Was just about to post those "exact same" details . Could you try to ensure that they reappear somewhere handy ; like the FAQ's .

Step one relates to the other problem of this thread as in "verifying ..." and applies to any OS and :eg: this thread perhaps :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/130...

Steps 2) and 3) are XP SP3 specific concerning the instant loss off the splash window .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+4
DanW_12 RE: Failure to Launch
Member 24th Jul, 2012 17:10
User Since: 23rd Jul 2012
Thanks. This appears to have worked, but I need to learn the new interface!

Have fun,

Dan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
richpl RE: Failure to Launch
Member 24th Jul, 2012 19:37
User Since: 22nd Jul 2012
I've attached the file as requested. I am running Win 7, and the trusted sites list has only one entry - https://*.secunia.com as advised.

My problem is the PSI is perpetually loading when I launch it, exactly analogous to the "verifying Internet connection" problem that I originally got with v2.*

Rich
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Jul, 2012 21:35
Last edited on 24th Jul, 2012 21:43
Hi Rich ,

Support will have finished for today , so while you wait , do you have SUA installed and running in Services (as per Kamram's post above) and do you see sua.exe running as a process in "Task Manager" or whatever passes for that in W7 ??

Are your drives "selected" in "Settings" ??

EDIT : If you look at any Maurice Joyce post you will see a link for version 1.5.0.2 of the PSI ; this does not use/install the SUA and is a perfectly good programme and may be a real "time" saver for you .

Sorry , multiple Edits ; there is a command line settiing which may install the SUA it it is missing .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+4

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability