xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
M.Stengaard PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Secunia Official 26th Jul, 2012 11:12
Ranking: 5
User Since: 6th Mar, 2012
System Score: N/A
Hello everybody,

Just a quick note to let you know that we have released a PSI 3.0 maintenance build that fixes a number of issues and introduces a few new features (the full change log is available at http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/ and I have copy-pasted it below as well for your convenience).

Based on your inputs, we have added a detailed (list) view, including criticality ratings as well as the number of installed programs, and you can also get direct access to the Secunia Advisories on the Secunia website (right-click a vulnerable program for 'More information').

I hope you will like it. Please let us know what you think.

Morten Stengaard
Secunia

-----

This is a minor maintenance release. The primary changes are:

- Detailed view: The user can decide whether to view the list of programs as a detailed view or an icon view
- Criticality: The detailed view now includes criticality ratings for programs that need updating
- Number of installations: The detailed view shows the number of installed program versions
- More information: Right-clicking a program that is not up-to-date now provides a link to more information (the Secunia Advisory on the Secunia website)
- Add notification to install Microsoft Update if it is not installed
- Bug with "long scan time for initial scan" has been fixed
- Language selection when upgrading between major versions has been fixed
- Ignore rules created in PSI2 are now ignored after upgrade (since the way ignored updates are handled has changed)
- Manual downloads for updates to 64-bit programs don't try to download the 32-bit versions
- Warning about unknown variable has been fixed
- Updates to translations of non-English versions of the PSI
- Correct notice about trusted sites to point to psi3.secunia.com
- Various minor bug fixes

BeBiMa RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 26th Jul, 2012 11:27
Score: 1
User Since: 30th Jul 2010
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2012 11:31
Seems the connectivity problems have been solved.
BUT: I've uninstalled all versions I've tied ( 1, 2, 3) and purged my registry ( as far as I found entries ). After installing the new PSI3 all my profile data are found again. Where are there saved? A security software should be transparent fpr the user and doing nothing "magic".
First disappointment.

Second: "Überprüfungsergebnis wird aktualisiert" doesn't end. ( Sorry for the german sentence, but I do not use the english version )
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Handling Contributor 26th Jul, 2012 12:18
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009

U have not found the User ID in the Registry which is not removed during any uninstall. It is here:

Go to start > run and enter Regedit(XP) in the box provided - for Windows Vista & 7 click the Start Orb>type Regedit in the search box>activate regedit from the search.

Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Secunia\PSI which U will see in the left pane.

Click PSI & U will see the User ID string.

It is harmless. The Privacy Statement highlights what Secunia stored on their systems.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Expert Contributor 26th Jul, 2012 13:58
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2012 14:15
Hi ,

I had the following problems on installing and "settings" ; I did not have and did not select "auto-updating" and it remains (correctly) unselected after install . Using XP SP3 .

1)On launch , the load was qucker than previously - now less than 30 secs - but the first screen then told me that my last scan was Tuesday 17th July and that I needed to "rescan" . The tray icon was green and said 100% .

2)The system seemed to lock and RAM and CPU (essentially psi.exe) were highly loaded . There was no rescan "button" (bottom left) either .

3)I closed the screen and reloaded from the tray . I had the same situation in all respects but the "scan now" button (centre) was active and I clicked it and it started - the rescan button reappeared ; after a few seconds the screen (correctly) reset as green tick 100% and last scan Thursday 26th July which is/was correct prior to this install scan !!!!!!

4)On basic display psi.exe still uses large chunks of RAM but CPU is "normal" .

EDIT : have just reloaded the screen ant is back to nearer one minute of "Loading ..." and the psi.exe runs up and down to well over 50% CPU as the RAM goes up to 130 000 ko .

5)First click on the screen buttons tends to show the menu passing under the link and partly hidden by the tray - closing and (re)clicking opens them above the link and fully visible . This was the same in the previous version .

6)There are NO icons on either the icon or the list displays . EDIT 2:I lie , there is one for XP , the M$ logo .

7)There is a box with a red x top left of the "show details" splash window - not a clue what that is for .

Plenty of "bugs" to play with ; still a Beta to my eyes .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 26th Jul, 2012 17:58
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2012 17:59
on 26th Jul, 2012 11:27, BeBiMa wrote:
Seems the connectivity problems have been solved.
BUT: I've uninstalled all versions I've tied ( 1, 2, 3) and purged my registry ( as far as I found entries ). After installing the new PSI3 all my profile data are found again. Where are there saved? A security software should be transparent fpr the user and doing nothing "magic".
First disappointment.

Second: "Überprüfungsergebnis wird aktualisiert" doesn't end. ( Sorry for the german sentence, but I do not use the english version )

Sorry, this was my first impression. But this was totally wrong.
1 - I got the "old" 3.0.0.2004
2 - the connectivity problems ( proxy ) aren't solved at all
3- despite the fact PSI can't connect to the secunia servers the progress bar for checkup is advancing and hangs at "Überprüfungsergebnis wird aktualisiert".

Not trustworthy! The operation which can't be finished is updating of the secunia info.
To be more specific: PSI can not contact the Secunia servers.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Jul, 2012 18:33
I thought the proxy issue was understood. Secunia have never made a commitment to allow a proxy to be used in the home environment with PSI.

The FAQ which I pointed to on your other thread merely restates what was published previously on this Forum as follows:

Statement issued by a Secunia Official on 11th May 2011

For users using proxies, there is bound to be some unexpected issues.

As such, these are not going to be fixed, as the PSI does not support proxies, or systems running proxies.

I also recall that someone else was insistent about this feature. They were advised to purchase CSI!!

Have U contacted support on this issue like I advised on the other thread?

Not sure about your other issue - are the drives showing under the settings tab?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+5
djl62 RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 26th Jul, 2012 19:50
User Since: 26th Jul 2012
I downloaded an installed the update to my Windows 7 x64 system with the download updates automatically option selected.

After scanning, the program started to automatically install programs which I did not have installed on my system. I stopped the program and on investigation found that PSI was detecting programs that are in my UBCD4WIN directory as installed and downloading/installing updates to my system.

This did not happen with the earlier version 3. Is this a bug?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Jul, 2012 21:26
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2012 21:27
Yes I contacted support. And I first only the know answer: "PSI doesn't support proxies".
Further description of my system and my personal policies, which are not unusual, gave me the message, that my statement was moved to the teamleader ( hope it's the teamleader of development ).

Let us see, what's going on.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nergali RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 26th Jul, 2012 21:30
Score: 19
User Since: 23rd Aug 2010
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2012 21:46
[s]This version (and 3.0.0.2004) report as 3.0.0.2003 in the About Secunia PSI dialog[/s]

EDIT: nope the (2nd) link in maurice's singnature just linked to the older .4003 download, I just redownloaded from download page and indeed reports self correctly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Jul, 2012 22:21
@Nergali is correct. As we write Secunia Support have tinkered with my profile & removed the offending link.

That is because I copied it from here:
https://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/ using the alternate link Secunia supply.

Alternate download link:
http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Further tests show it is indeed version 2003/2004.

I will reintroduce it once Secunia get their act together & publish it correctly.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
throkr. RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 26th Jul, 2012 22:59
Score: 72
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
System Score: 100%
Unfortunately, with this latest version, still no ability :

- to stop a scan
- to scan only one program

Another detail : opening PSI in a Standard User Account by right-clicking the systray icon doesn't require administrator privileges. This wasn't the case before (I'm currently using version 2.0.0.3003).

--
Win 8.1.1 Pro x64

OSS Pro - MBAM Pro - SAS Pro - Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003)
Mozilla Firefox - Cyberfox (x64) - SRWare Iron

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Handling Contributor 27th Jul, 2012 18:28
Secunia have now correctly updated their http download link for Version 3. I have now reintroduced the link below my Signature Block.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Spiff RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 27th Jul, 2012 23:12
Score: 13
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010

@ Maurice Joyce,

Off-topic regarding PSI 3.0,
but concerning the information in your signature block about the different versions,

thank you for that information,
I didn't know PSI 2.0.0.4003 has limited Secure Browsing notifications.

I use PSI version 2.0.0.3001 (and saved the 2.0.0.3001 installer for later use).
Can you indicate whether that version 2.0.0.3001 has the same full Secure Browsing notifications as the later version 2.0.0.3003?
I guess so?

Thanks very much
and best regards,

Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Jul, 2012 02:17
Sadly I personally do not have a copy of 3001 but know someone who still uses it. I will take a remote snapshot comparison tomorrow and advise if that will help?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jul, 2012 10:52
on 28th Jul, 2012 02:17, Maurice Joyce wrote:
I will take a remote snapshot comparison tomorrow and advise if that will help?

Thanks, Maurice, that'll help.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Jul, 2012 12:11
Spiff,

I have just finished at a remote "look see" at your version. Unless U suffer a bug highlighted in the change log here https://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/ I would advise U stick with your current version.

Because of different user requirements, Browser comparisons are not easy but I looked at 3 key programmes - Windows Media Player - MSXML & .NET Framework. Both your version & 3003 are the same which leads me to believe the Secure Browser page are one of the same by design in both versions.

Version 2.0.0.4003 is a different ball game - either by design or a bug - it only lists the actual Browser(s) & nothing else on my test PC.

Now that Secunia have committed themselves to full support for version 1,2 & 3 it is hoped they will sort out the 4003 issue & re-establish full browser disclosure.

I intend keeping my 2.0.0.3003 version (not available from Secunia) download link below my Signature Block if U ever require it

As U stated this post is a bit "off piste" but I hope it helps U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 28th Jul, 2012 12:34
on 28th Jul, 2012 12:11, Maurice Joyce wrote:
As U stated this post is a bit "off piste" but I hope it helps U.

It is, but yes it does :-)
Thanks very much, Maurice.

I never suffered the bugs mentioned in the changelog, so I'll stick with version 2.0.0.3001.
If I want to re-install my system, I can use the 2.0.0.3001 installer that I saved, or if confronted with the mentioned bugs I can use the 2.0.0.3003 installer that I saved from the download link that you offer.

Thanks very much once again
and kind regards,

Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
keith1937 RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 29th Jul, 2012 10:41
Score: 12
User Since: 9th Apr 2011
Version 3.0.0.3001 - Released 26th July 2012 - No Secure Browsing Notifications.
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Hello Maurice

I downloaded from your Signature (not a problem)

I restarted my computer and run Secunia.

In the "Red bar" it showed Loading version 3.0 is this correct?

I thought Secunia might have added a loading bar but no luck there.

As far as V3 I am extremly please with it.

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Jul, 2012 15:48
Last edited on 29th Jul, 2012 23:04
Keith,
That is correct - some have reported the loading ... to take some time.

EDIT: See this thread which is in line with your thoughts:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/13...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
keith1937 RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 30th Jul, 2012 05:55
Score: 12
User Since: 9th Apr 2011
Hello Maurice

I have replied and adding my thoughts.

As far as being slow far from it a total from start to completion 1min 10 seconds.

Whats the hurry its doing its job thoroughly if it was a super fast program it might not be as good.

Unless I am wrong it would depend on your computer and your supplier, plus the time you use the program.

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Muggle10 RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 31st Jul, 2012 23:02
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Dec 2009
I installed v3.0.0.3001 on 7/28. I had uninstalled v3.0 when it first came out because PSI Agent was hogging the CPU and freezing out everything else. Well, the newest version is working fine. No more CPU hogging and my scan runs normally. Thank You!

--
Wndows 8.1
HP Notebook, AMD A6 Processor x64
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dillont RE: PSI 3.0 maintenance release is out!!
Member 1st Aug, 2012 19:01
User Since: 29th Apr 2010
Future versions/maintenance of PSI should include the notification within the program that update is available or provide a "Check For Update" link.

I was running PSI Version 3.0 and had not applied maintenance, because I am not setting "Install updates automatically" since my preference is to manually manage when software is updated. Currently only way to know that there is maintenance appears to routinely monitor forums. This is awkward.

--
TomVA
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability