Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: What's Up With PSI v3.0?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
randun What's Up With PSI v3.0?
Member 2nd Aug, 2012 02:01
Ranking: 2
User Since: 14th Jun, 2011
System Score: 98%
Since the thread regarding this version being a disappointment, I thought I'd try & start a new dialogue.

I've used PSI since its inception & I can honestly say that version 3.0 is comparable to a downgrade to say the least. All automation is gone. Why? It simply makes no sense to a home user like myself. After reading a recent review in Windows Secrets, I'm now testing CNET's TechTracker & I must say that it beats the new version of PSI hands down.

Comments please!

--
Randy

Post "RE: What's Up With PSI v3.0?" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: What's Up With PSI v3.0?
Handling Contributor 2nd Aug, 2012 13:35
Score: 11743
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 2nd Aug, 2012 13:41
I note that after 11 hours after posting & 55 hits no one has responded including Secunia Support who have been active. I am not sure I fully understand your statement "All automation is gone. Why?"

That was the main focus of the original version 3. Full automation which robbed competent users of the ability to determine their own destiny when updating their PC hence the many critical comments that lead to Secunia making changes to that concept.

The other thread U mention was locked under the 7 day rule & was focused on a previous release rather than the latest version 3.0.0.3001.

This is the new lead thread on the latest PSI version 3.0.0.3001.
https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/13...

I assume U are referring to the article by Fred Langa in Windows Secrets here? http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/software-that...

Although the author claims to use PSI I am not sure he fully understands what PSI does particularly with this statement:

"The new version still does what its predecessors did: It monitors the software on your PC and automatically updates, by default, any out-of-date software it finds. I've found PSI reliable enough that I allow these auto-updates to occur, but PSI also lets you disable the auto-updates if you prefer to manually verify the need for any recommended update."

When comparing it to other alleged "like programmes" to be more accurate it should read:

"The new version still does what its predecessors (except version 1) did: It monitors any software on your PC that is held on the Secunia Database and, iwhere possible automatically updates,any VULNERABLE software it findsusing a silent install SPS package. I've found PSI reliable enough that I allow these auto-updates to occur, but PSI also lets you disable the auto-updates if you prefer to manually verify the need for any recommended vulnerabilityupdate".

He has sadly put PSI in the same "cage" as general update scraper programmes. It is not. PSI is a vulnerability checker full stop. It is not interested in updates created by vendors for maintenance,cosmetic,bug fixes or programmes in ALPHA or BETA.

General updaters inform users when new releases are available but give no guarantee that the new version is not vulnerable. They just provide a download link direct from the vendor or via a third party. Some include BETA versions without a caveat which,in the case of a Beginner Class user, is highly irresponsible given they can be volatile & should not be loaded on a main working platform. He has,correctly,highlighted this aspect & the fact that some updaters try,in some instances, to haul additional programmes on users via bundling particularly CNet. Secunia do not employ this dreadful method.

An example of vulnerable software is Adobe Flash. Having the latest version installed does not mean that it is secure. It is not & PSI informs U of that fact if U have the correct version installed.

I mention the correct version installed because it is now generally agreed on the Forum & from a statement by Secunia that version 3 is not an upgrade to version 2. Again, the Windows Secrets article is slightly misleading on this aspect.

Version 3.0.0.3001 can be used by anyone but is more suited to Beginner Class users in that some advanced user functionality has been removed.

For this reason many users have wisely reverted to version 2 and some remain with the original version 1 in that it has no automatic update mechanism. These two versions,correctly used, will inform the user of the Adobe Flash vulnerability issue outlined above.

I am a fully paid up member of Windows Secrets. It has some good articles in the paid section but like all PC comics,paid or freebie,it should be viewed as "a wise man's guide & a fool's bible"!

Now Secunia are fully supporting versions 1,2 & 3 there is a version to meet everyone's requirement - just pick the version that matches your PC competence. All PSI versions have minor bugs but that does not prevent them from producing a UNIQUE core function by exposing VULNERABILITIESwhich no other programme does that I am aware of.
Sorry for the edit emails.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+5
randun RE: What's Up With PSI v3.0?
Member 2nd Aug, 2012 15:21
Score: 2
User Since: 14th Jun 2011
on 2nd Aug, 2012 13:35, Maurice Joyce wrote:
I note that after 11 hours after posting & 55 hits no one has responded including Secunia Support who have been active. I am not sure I fully understand your statement "All automation is gone. Why?"

That was the main focus of the original version 3. Full automation which robbed competent users of the ability to determine their own destiny when updating their PC hence the many critical comments that lead to Secunia making changes to that concept.

The other thread U mention was locked under the 7 day rule & was focused on a previous release rather than the latest version 3.0.0.3001.

This is the new lead thread on the latest PSI version 3.0.0.3001.
https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/13...

I assume U are referring to the article by Fred Langa in Windows Secrets here? http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/software-that...

Although the author claims to use PSI I am not sure he fully understands what PSI does particularly with this statement:

"The new version still does what its predecessors did: It monitors the software on your PC and automatically updates, by default, any out-of-date software it finds. I've found PSI reliable enough that I allow these auto-updates to occur, but PSI also lets you disable the auto-updates if you prefer to manually verify the need for any recommended update."

When comparing it to other alleged "like programmes" to be more accurate it should read:

"The new version still does what its predecessors (except version 1) did: It monitors any software on your PC that is held on the Secunia Database and, iwhere possible automatically updates,any VULNERABLE software it findsusing a silent install SPS package. I've found PSI reliable enough that I allow these auto-updates to occur, but PSI also lets you disable the auto-updates if you prefer to manually verify the need for any recommended vulnerabilityupdate".

He has sadly put PSI in the same "cage" as general update scraper programmes. It is not. PSI is a vulnerability checker full stop. It is not interested in updates created by vendors for maintenance,cosmetic,bug fixes or programmes in ALPHA or BETA.

General updaters inform users when new releases are available but give no guarantee that the new version is not vulnerable. They just provide a download link direct from the vendor or via a third party. Some include BETA versions without a caveat which,in the case of a Beginner Class user, is highly irresponsible given they can be volatile & should not be loaded on a main working platform. He has,correctly,highlighted this aspect & the fact that some updaters try,in some instances, to haul additional programmes on users via bundling particularly CNet. Secunia do not employ this dreadful method.

An example of vulnerable software is Adobe Flash. Having the latest version installed does not mean that it is secure. It is not & PSI informs U of that fact if U have the correct version installed.

I mention the correct version installed because it is now generally agreed on the Forum & from a statement by Secunia that version 3 is not an upgrade to version 2. Again, the Windows Secrets article is slightly misleading on this aspect.

Version 3.0.0.3001 can be used by anyone but is more suited to Beginner Class users in that some advanced user functionality has been removed.

For this reason many users have wisely reverted to version 2 and some remain with the original version 1 in that it has no automatic update mechanism. These two versions,correctly used, will inform the user of the Adobe Flash vulnerability issue outlined above.

I am a fully paid up member of Windows Secrets. It has some good articles in the paid section but like all PC comics,paid or freebie,it should be viewed as "a wise man's guide & a fool's bible"!

Now Secunia are fully supporting versions 1,2 & 3 there is a version to meet everyone's requirement - just pick the version that matches your PC competence. All PSI versions have minor bugs but that does not prevent them from producing a UNIQUE core function by exposing VULNERABILITIESwhich no other programme does that I am aware of.
Sorry for the edit emails.

Whoa, you are obviously very passionate about this product & I mean no disrespect in stating so. That said, thanks much for your insiightful comments.

I was overly brief in trying to state a simple observation of this new version of PSI. Let me try again...

My statement "All automation is gone. Why?" was a bit vague to say the least. What I was attempting to convey was when compared to v2, the only "automation" parameter in v3 is the ability to turn on, or off. automatic installation of updates that PSI has determined that a program is outdated. Why on earth they made the decision to no longer provide scheduled scanning is a mystery to me. Basically, the new version is, for the most part, now uses a manual interface, which I simply don't like.

Without going any further, I simply dislike v3 of PSI for numerous reasons. However, you have brought to my attention of reverting back to v2, which I'll do right after sending this message.

Believe me, I understand the concept behind what the PSI software does & the differences between it & other types of software like the one developed by/for CNET that I mentioned in my original post. The bottom line for me is that v3 of PSI is simply not for me.

Thanks again for your comments & I'm sure that Fred would love to hear your thoughts on his assesment of PSI.

--
Randy
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 2nd Aug, 2012 15:31
If version 2 is for U I would advise using my link to V2.0.0.3003 - it shows much more in the Secure Browsing section than version 2.0.0.4003 if that aspect is important to U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 2nd Aug, 2012 15:35
on 2nd Aug, 2012 15:31, Maurice Joyce wrote:
If version 2 is for U I would advise using my link to V2.0.0.3003 - it shows much more in the Secure Browsing section than version 2.0.0.4003 if that aspect is important to U.

Thanks. That's the link that I used to download!

--
Randy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: What's Up With PSI v3.0?
Expert Contributor 2nd Aug, 2012 22:03
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi Randy ,

The problem with version 3.0 is that if you turn off auto-updating , you turn off the advisory function of the tray icon and it merely records your last scan details held on the Secunia servers . You are not told this nor that in fact there is a scheduled one week/7day interval scan ; only the date of the last scan is displayed on the first splash screen in the GUI , so the exact timing is unclear .

The Langa review was very shoddy as Maurice has rightly pointed out - a good reason why I stopped subscribing to the paid version after Gizmo parted company with Windows Secrets ..

Also it might interest you that Maurice is so passionate about the PSI that he does not use it personally ; he does use his valuable (spare!!) time to make sure that users of the PSI get best advice .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 3rd Aug, 2012 01:32
on 2nd Aug, 2012 22:03, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi Randy ,

The problem with version 3.0 is that if you turn off auto-updating , you turn off the advisory function of the tray icon and it merely records your last scan details held on the Secunia servers . You are not told this nor that in fact there is a scheduled one week/7day interval scan ; only the date of the last scan is displayed on the first splash screen in the GUI , so the exact timing is unclear .

The Langa review was very shoddy as Maurice has rightly pointed out - a good reason why I stopped subscribing to the paid version after Gizmo parted company with Windows Secrets ..

Also it might interest you that Maurice is so passionate about the PSI that he does not use it personally ; he does use his valuable (spare!!) time to make sure that users of the PSI get best advice .

Take care

Anthony

Hi Anthony-

Thanks much for your message & clarifying the 'hidden' scheduling function! I think that I would still prefer v2 though as with Windows Update, I don't want any software automtically updating programs, etc. without me seeing the nature of the update first. If my assesment of your information is incorrect, please do let me know.

I've always liked Fred Langa's articles, but I agree that WS's has gone downhill, particularly when he stepped away (now back). I only paid $5 for the paid version this year & will drop it next year if the content continues to 50% ads with articles that are often 'fluff'.

Well, Maurice certainly does have a true passion for setting the record straight given that he doesn't use the product!

Thanks again.

--
Randy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: What's Up With PSI v3.0?
Expert Contributor 3rd Aug, 2012 15:52
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 3rd Aug, 2012 15:55
Hi Randy ,

Your reqirements/considerations are much the same as mine .

If you turn off the "A-U" (as I do) then one loses the main design feature off version 3.0.x and it's SPS silent installers and you are left with a cutdown version 2.0.x ; the main loss(es) being the "Safe Browsing" module plus the ability to stop what the PSI is doing/has enacted when it gets thing(s) wrong . Having seen enuff of 3.0.x and tired of waiting for support on a couple of matters , I am about to "rollback :)))" to version 2.0.0.3003 (the best/least buggy fit on my XP SP3 machine) .

I kept my 5 in my pocket again this year and feel richer for it .

I fully concur with Maurice in that attention to detail in security concerns helps take/keep the "target" off one's PC and (with luck as well) out of sight of the bad guys .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 3rd Aug, 2012 16:38
Hi Anthony-

Ha! That's what I thought re turning on/off the "A-U". Thanks for confirming. I'm definitely going to rollback to v2.0.0.3003 based on your & Maurice's suggestions. The direction that Secunia took with the GUI & functionality in v3.0 simply baffles my mind. A step back IMHO...

I fully agree with your assesment o Maurice's observations.

Take care.

--
Randy
Was this reply relevant?
+0

BruceARoberts

RE: What's Up With PSI v3.0?
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Handling Contributor 5th Aug, 2012 01:07
I will answer your tag on post although the answers are available elsewhere as I will point out.

The correct version? Does that mean PSI 3.0 is an incorrect version?

Read the next paragraph which you quote - it explains what is meant.

If 3 is not an upgrade, why aren't 1 or 2 available from the Products page?

This question has already been raised on the Forum & Secunia have responded.

Could you list the advanced functions that have been removed?

You have been a member since 2011 so assume you have used v2 at some stage - a comparison should answer your own question.
There are numerous - one is the loss of API - a quick read of the Forum will highlight a few more.

Which "latest" version of Adobe Flash is not secure?

Version 11.3.300.268 & version 11.3.300.270 if you know where the link is.

Why no advisory?

There is http://secunia.com/advisories/47161/

Why doesn't PSI 3 tell me?

Because that function was also removed in version 3.

If PSI is so good, why don't you use any version of it?

Who stated PSI was good? I merely state there are 3 versions available to choose from which all have minor bugs.

I have not stated anywhere that I do not use it. If you are referring to Anthony's post his submission is correct, put in context of answering a comment made by Randy. I do not use PSI in the way Secunia intended by having it permanently installed on my main platform.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+6

BruceARoberts

[+]
Member 5th Aug, 2012 02:47
Bruce-

With all due respect, all of your questions have been answered thorougly in this thread by Maurice and/or Anthony.

If you don't like v3.x as I, simply follow the link that Maurice provided me & then Anthony followed up on a response to me.

There's really no reason to continue asking questions that have been answered in this thread.

Have a good evening!

--
Randy
Was this reply relevant?
+4

BruceARoberts

[+]
Member 5th Aug, 2012 03:59
Bruce-

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I've been around the block a few times in Forums now for probably 30+ years & your posts are simply not productive. It might be best if you just let things be here & move on. I'm just a user like you & I've simply had enough.

Hopefully, you'll find your answers in another thread....

--
Randy
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Handling Contributor 5th Aug, 2012 10:31
Randy,
I would lock the thread & protect your mail box.

Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem or I can lock it for U.

If further explanations are required he can create his own thread - I have no intention of entering into any further dialogue with a tag on time waster who appears incapable of reading the Forum to properly educate himself or to understand a Secunia Advisory & how it works.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+8
Gustar_Terpstra RE: What's Up With PSI v3.0?
Member 5th Aug, 2012 13:01
Score: -1
User Since: 5th Aug 2012
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2012 13:09
I consider PSI-Version 3 as the beta-version of the PSI-software. Maybe u can consider PSI-version 2.0.0.4003 as the stable PSI-software to avoid the problem thats appearently occuring to u?

I hope this could help,

(Iv read this solution has allready been offered to u. Maybe the statement about which version new members should be used could be pointed out by senior members of the PSI-Community?)

with kind regards,

--
Gustar Terpstra
Was this reply relevant?
+0

BruceARoberts

[+]

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability