Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
WyoSteve Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 15th Aug, 2012 01:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 31st Mar, 2012
System Score: N/A
I installed and ran v.3.0. It asked me to make an initial scan. I clicked the button and after a few seconds, it asked for the samething again. This occured over and over everytime I clicked the scan button. I unloaded and reloaded the program, but I still cannot get past the initial scan request. HELP!

REWard01 RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 15th Aug, 2012 02:18
Score: 2
User Since: 12th Apr 2012
My Windows 7 Pro 64bit Notebook is doing the same thing, except I have run several scans & program updates until today. But when i bring up PSI 3.0 it says "Last Scan: Never". I click on "Scan Now" & it runs for about 8 to 10 minutes & when I think it is going to give me the results screen, it comes back to Last Scan: Never, continually! I also uninstalled & reinstalled, but same problems...

--
~ REWard ~
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Handling Contributor 15th Aug, 2012 02:22
Score: 11609
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I think I know a work around for this new problem but require a bit more detail to cross check against an issue I have been working on.

Could you please check these:

1. Are the drives showing & enabled in the PSI settings?
Open PSI>Settings>then mouse over "Scan Individual Drives" - do they show?

2. Is SUA showing in Services & running?
Start Orb>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services - is SUA present & running?

3. Is SUA installed?
Right click start orb>Open Windows Explorer>C:\Program Files (x86) or Program Files>Secunia>PSI - double click on PSI & SUA.exe should be showing in the right hand pane.

4. Is the PSI tray icon red?

No hurry for the answers if you want to supply them. Off to bed now as very late in the UK.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jerryherbert RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 15th Aug, 2012 03:10
User Since: 7th Oct 2010
Just found this and am having same issue. I was initially showing 0% under version 2.0, so I decided to upgrade to 3.0. I downloaded and installed 3.0 Tuesday afternoon (New York time).

This is what I can figure out from the limited interface it seems to be showing:

No. There is an arrow to the right of the text but no menu opens.

Start Orb>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services - is SUA present & running?
I do not see SUA running as a service, or any service whose first initials match. The only service running is Secunia PSI Agent. The only other processes running are psi.exe *32 and psi_tray.exe *32.

3. Is SUA installed?
Right click start orb>Open Windows Explorer>C:\Program Files (x86) or Program Files>Secunia>PSI - double click on PSI & SUA.exe should be showing in the right hand pane.
In the PSI folder, sua.exe exists, as does the SUA folder, which is empty.

Yes, it is red. Hovering over the icon displays All programs are up to date.

Was this reply relevant?
+2
WyoSteve RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 15th Aug, 2012 03:17
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Mar 2012
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2012 03:20
Keyed to your questions:

1. No, the individual drives do not show...NOTHING shows when that is clicked.

2. I do not find "sua" in the list (or anything that starts with those letters in the S section of that list) under services. A line labled "Secunia PSI Agent" IS there.

3. "sua.exe" is present in Program Files (x86)>Secunia>PSI. There is also a folder labled "sua" in this file listing.

4. Yes, the PSI tray icon is red. Hovering over it on MY computer simply says "Secunia PSI Tray"
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jerryherbert RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 15th Aug, 2012 03:30
User Since: 7th Oct 2010
I decided to try getting SUA to run manually. I opened a command prompt. there I tried to run SUA with the -i and -L options. It gave me a message that the SUA would not start. However, when I looked at the services, I now saw that the Secunia Update Agent was listed with a startup type of automatic, but it was not running. I tried to start it manually and it started then stopped with a message that it had stopped possibly because nothing requested its services. After a minute I tried again and it is still running. However, when I tried to do a scan, it looked like it was trying to run, but then after several minutes asked me to run it again.

I hope you can make use of this additional information.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Aug, 2012 04:00
My system is showing all of the same as the above post.

--
~ REWard ~
Was this reply relevant?
+1
OldWarrior632 RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 15th Aug, 2012 04:04
Score: -2
User Since: 5th May 2012
Same problem exactly on my HP laptop started this morning on PSI 2 Downloaded 3 and hit that loop. PSI 2 is running OK on my Desktop.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Funster4 RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 15th Aug, 2012 04:43
Score: -1
User Since: 19th Jan 2011
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2012 04:44
Same problem. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times to no avail. When I reinstall it advises that the installed program is out of date and must be uninstalled. I do and still repeatedly have the same problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Aug, 2012 11:30
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2012 11:33
This problem has a history that goes back (in my case) a long time. @negali had/has a similar problem here https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/13...

My problem, which remains unresolved, was definitely caused by my testing of alleged Registry Cleaners.

In this instance I suspect PSI has been part crippled by Windows Update. Could U all try this:

Open Windows Explorer as explained in my last post & locate SUA.exe

Double (left)click on the SUA.exe file (you may need to do this a couple of times)

The PSI tray icon should change to green if programmes are up to date.

Now open PSI & run a scan - all should be working.

Please note this is "fault finding in progress" & may not work for everyone.

Even if you manage to get it going again using my work around there are (to date) unexplained oddities:

1. PSI will run without SUA.exe being present in Services.

2. No drives will show in the settings tab.

3. The feature to Ignore a Programme remains an issue (to me that is a totally different bug & is being investigated by Secunia)EDIT - Secunia now reports this aspect has been fixed

If my work around does not work for U there is always the option to drop back to the fully supported version 1.5.0.2 - the download link is below my Signature Block.

Interested to see how U all get on.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 15th Aug, 2012 12:29
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2012 12:35
Thanks, this worked! But I had to do some other things.
The icon did not and does not change to green. It's still red, but it works.
I had to double click sua.exe MANY times before it would run the first time. Don't give up.
The first display said my 2 programs were up to date even though I knew there were really dozens of programs on my drive. I clicked the scan individual drives at the bottom of the PSI screen and, voila, it listed the two divisions of my hard drive (c: and d:). I tried to check just the c: drive (the d: drive is a partition holding my backup Windows 7), but no matter what I checked, it either selected both or deselected c: and left d: checked or deselected both. I left it on both c: and d: selected and clicked the scan again (lower left on the PSI page). And, voila again (I didn't even know I knew any French), this time ALL of my programs showed up and were up to date.
I closed PSI and used the PSI tray icon again and it worked perfectly. The icon is still red but all apparently works as designed.
Thanks for your help, Mr. Joyce, and for everyone else's input. Thank goodness for this forum.

Now could you tell me why the right side of this forum is cut off with no horizontal scroll bar and any pop-up (such as the forum sign in) shows only the very top of the pop up and is unmoveable. I have to select all, put the item on the clipboard, copy it to Word or some such program in order to read the items. The pop ups are unuseable.

Steve York, Riverton, Wyoming, USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Expert Contributor 15th Aug, 2012 16:43
Score: 2427
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2012 16:51
HI ,

Just to confirm that SUA is a mixed bag . I was running PSI 3 with auto-updating deselected and SUA as a service or process was "often" missing .

I fave just reloaded PSI 2.0.0.3003 with auo-updating with "prompt" selected . Initially , there was no SUA in services or processes . Today I ran a FULL scan to see what it would detect for M$ , Adobe and Java .
The correct Adobe and M$ updates were listed and awaiting my orders (so far , only FileHippo is showing the Java 7 update6) .

Lo and behold , SUA is correctly showing as a sevice and an .exe process . Lord knows what I will find tomorrow after a cold start .

The "slider" problem (worst with Chrome) has been with us since the last "design moment :))))" of the webpage . Zoom in/-ve will expose the full page and log in box ; if ,as in my case , that makes things unreadable then only Firefox with the the add-on "NoSquint" which allows differential page and text zoom gives relief .

Take care

Anthony

EDIT: NoSquint link :-

https://urandom.ca/nosquint/

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 15th Aug, 2012 16:54
Thanks. The zoom under view worked so that I can see the entire forum page and sign in pop up. Appreciate your tip...should have thought of that myself. Alzeimers I guess.

Steve York
Riverton, Wyoming USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Aug, 2012 17:16
Steve,
Pleased to see it worked (in part)for you. It is a work around rather than a solution - that can only come from Secunia who I hope are investigating.

The icon staying red has also been raised on this Forum many times - not sure I have ever seen a permanent solution.

The web page issue also has a history. The Forum/Web has never been the same since Secunia Marketing announced, almost a year ago, that they had launched a new masterpiece. Certain functions still do not work correctly including the scroll bars & the immovable box.

All these "bugs" are well documented on the Forum. One can only assume that Secunia have kicked finding a solution "into the long grass" hoping it gets lost!

Now U are fixed up I will unsubscribe from this thread to protect my mail box. U can do same if update emails become overbearing.

Just click on the ACCEPT button of the post that helped U the most or I can close it for U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

Maurice Joyce

RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Funster4 RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 15th Aug, 2012 17:32
Score: -1
User Since: 19th Jan 2011
New update fixes the problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Aug, 2012 21:11
i finally fixed mine by going to the command prompt & in to c:\program files (x86)\secunia\psi i ran psia.exe -i -L. Which reset the PSI Agent (not the Update Agent - sua.exe (which i did try the sua.exe -i -L yesterday, no change))...

--
~ REWard ~
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Aug, 2012 00:51
Last edited on 16th Aug, 2012 00:54
As for Secunia 2.0 ,It started working right on it's own this AM- All is solved without me having to do anything.

As for the "zoom" I just click on my username so the cursor is there (I use Norton Identity Safe to auto-fill) then I hit <enter> and it logs me right in.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Aug, 2012 00:57
Re. Java, Cnet gave me the latest 7.05
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Doctor9fan RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 16th Aug, 2012 09:34
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 16th Aug, 2012 09:50
on 15th Aug, 2012 02:22, Maurice Joyce wrote:
I think I know a work around for this new problem but require a bit more detail to cross check against an issue I have been working on.

Could you please check these:

3. Is SUA installed?

No hurry for the answers if you want to supply them. Off to bed now as very late in the UK.

Am having the same problem.
C: drive is greyed out but ticked under scan individual drives & all the others are there & selectable.
SUA is not showing under services.
Have already double-clicked SUA with no change - nothing happened.
PSI icon red.

Yesterday before the Windows update everything was working fine.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
amf00769 RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 16th Aug, 2012 09:57
User Since: 12th Apr 2010
on 16th Aug, 2012 09:34, Doctor9fan wrote:
Am having the same problem.
C: drive is greyed out but ticked under scan individual drives & all the others are there & selectable.
SUA is not showing under services.
Have already double-clicked SUA with no change - nothing happened.
PSI icon red.

Yesterday before the Windows update everything was working fine.

Exactly the same as above, If I mouse over the red icon in tray it says all programs are up to dste!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Aug, 2012 10:15
Mine too says I have 100% score.
Tbh there's just too many things which as either slow or just don't work with ver 3 that I have returned to ver 2 which is more stable, & doesn't take ages to either load or scan.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kenneth27 RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 16th Aug, 2012 10:21
User Since: 16th Aug 2012
Hi. You aren't alone. My PC (XP SP3)/s PSI began exhibiting the same behavior here last night, right after the MS updates rebooted. For the record, there was a possible indicator of a coming problem as PSI reported my XP Professional was in need of an update. Would be okay except I don't have Professional on this machine. This is a Home machine and it runs XP Home. Whatever, such a minor thing I chalked it off as a typo.

Anyway, I too now get the endless loop when I try to scan. I next deleted secunia entirely and downloaded and installed the latest version. No change, endless loop. Nothing is red flagged but there is no history. I found this thread. Yes, my java is up to date. 7.5. I tried some of the tricks listed here. Interesting results. SUA.EXE -i (from inside the DOS emulator) tells me it is installed as a service, but it wasn't started when I checked my services. It is now. Attempting to activate PSIA.EXE -i, DOS reports an error. "Specified service has been marked for deletion."

I tried to scan again. For 40 minutes now it has been in "preparing scan." I'll give it another hour. If it hasn't moved past that point by then I will shut it down and wait till someone here posts a better solution.

Hmm. The last entry in SUALOG.TXT was on July 2. What's up with that?

PSIALOG.TXT is interesting. It is filled with:
"[08/16 03:09:06.640] Couldn't delete file/directory C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\SUA\c06375fb43805c09094d66a21fad 09dfc6f2fe40
[08/16 03:09:06.828] Couldn't delete file/directory C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\SUA\f4ee7c9b9f159771790572dc14c2 5d5519f6078d
[08/16 03:09:07.031] Couldn't delete file/directory C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\SUA\f8184e48292227036d790fc60776 00c705a7a388
[08/16 03:09:07.250] Couldn't delete file/directory C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\SUA\f938bd2bccdcbe381ba10255ba0f 751a604612fc
[08/16 03:09:07.437] Stopping 'Secunia PSI Agent' service" and pages and pages of Couldn't delete with lots of different alphanumeric strings.
Then it closes with"
"[08/16 03:09:10.218] Caught exception in accept at 627, error 0x000000e8
[08/16 03:09:10.421] Waiting for pipe to be done
[08/16 03:09:10.625] Closing pipe
[08/16 03:09:10.812] Caught exception in accept at 627, error 0x000000e8
[08/16 03:09:11.109] Waiting for pipe to be done
[08/16 03:09:11.296] Closing pipe"

That time corresponds with just before I started the installed but not running suagent service and began the new loop of "preparing scan". Maybe preparing scan means it is deleting the files it couldn't delete before?

[Incidentally, having to shrink my view to an unreadable level just to get to the submit button or see what is on the right side of the screen is really annoying (and makes it look like a 14 year old with ADD designed the forum software). I can understand an inability to sense the the configuration of a users screen (as some of us do block such information) but why isn't there a scroll bar?]
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Aug, 2012 10:27
I uninstalled V3 and reinstalled v2 which again showed a red icon, so I uninstalled yet again and again reinstalled v3 which appears now to be ok ie green icon after full scan, but to be truthful I haven't yet rebooted the machine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kenneth27 RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 16th Aug, 2012 16:23
Okay, I got it. At least for my machine and right now. Tomorrow or in a few hours may be different, I deleted the Secunia psi from the control panel. Then I rebooted. However, programfiles\secunia\psi\sru was still there as were the alpha numeric string files. I (the owner and administrator) attempted to delete them but was told I had insufficient authorization and access was denied. I love a challenge. I cleaned out and reinstalled my cache then reset permission with dialafix. Next dropping into dos allowed them to be deleted one at a time. Don't know why rd - s wouldn't work (kept saying directory/file not found). One at a time manually was too slow for me. I went back to Windows and used JV16 and flagged them for a reboot deletion, then rebooted. They were still there, but now I could delete them (select all) from within Windows. Then I rebooted again. This time they were gone. I cleaned the drive and then ran registry cleaner with JV16 and rebooted again.

Then I reinstalled Secunia. Just completed a scan with no problem. Hopefully it will allow a second scan later without looping.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sdand RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 16th Aug, 2012 17:35
Had problem with PSI this morning after the huge Windows update (10 items). PSI icon was red and after scanning system adviced, that a scanning had never taken place. Uninstalled and reinstalled PSI but was still caught in the scanning loop. Also tried to restart PC, but was still in limbo.
Finally turned off PC and did other scores. Now have just turned PC on again and everything seems fine again: PSI icon is green; all programmes are up-to-date; scanning this morning is recognized by PSI.
For now my problem solved and I feel fine again.

--
sdand
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
V. 5.1.2600 SP3 build 2600
IE version 8.0.6001.18702
Was this reply relevant?
+0
janies461 PSI 3 scan does not show any programs
Member 16th Aug, 2012 19:42
Last edited on 16th Aug, 2012 19:44
I have winXP home, mozilla 14. I uninstalled PSI 3 and reinstalled PSI 1 and went through scan and same result "no programs showing"????? What is next next? It seems like it happened after I installed new windows update???

--
janies461
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Aug, 2012 20:01
Update:
I've installed ver 3 again over ver 2 & so far everything is fine, after initial scan icon remains green & ui doesn't continually show that I require a scan. I don't know whether this is connected or not but just previous to this I uninstalled the latest (6.32) driver to my logitec wireless mouse & reinstalled the old one (4.82) which came with the mouse.
Will see whether everything is still ok over the next week or so.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Aug, 2012 20:11
on 16th Aug, 2012 20:01, Doctor9fan wrote:
Update:
I've installed ver 3 again over ver 2 & so far everything is fine, after initial scan icon remains green & ui doesn't continually show that I require a scan. I don't know whether this is connected or not but just previous to this I uninstalled the latest (6.32) driver to my logitec wireless mouse & reinstalled the old one (4.82) which came with the mouse.
Will see whether everything is still ok over the next week or so.

I uninstalled V3 and reinstalled v2 which again showed a red icon, so I uninstalled yet again and again reinstalled v3 which appears now to be ok ie green icon after full scan, but to be truthful I haven't yet rebooted the machine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
janies461 PSI 3 scan shows programs
Member 16th Aug, 2012 21:29
Maurice,
I have a winXP home. I have uninstalled 3 times already and installed as per your recommendation PSI version 1 with no success. The only thing changed from yesterday to today was the winXP updates. I even went into the regedit and deleted the key before reinstalling again PSI 3. Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Janie

--
janies461
Was this reply relevant?
+0
D.Allison RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 17th Aug, 2012 00:37
User Since: 26th Sep 2011
Ran the PSIA this didn't help either. Guess PSI is done for me. Can't screw around and don't want to go backwards.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lazerburn RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 17th Aug, 2012 03:22
User Since: 17th Aug 2012
I just helped my sister fix this problem on her Win7 laptop. I had her uninstall PSI with Revo Uninstaller. Used the moderate option, which deletes leftover Registry files and folders. She was getting a 0% score in v2.0, installed v3.0 on top and was getting the endless loop. After using Revo and restarting v3.0 worked as intended.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ejhilde RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 17th Aug, 2012 06:09
Score: 1
User Since: 30th Mar 2012
Last edited on 17th Aug, 2012 06:10
Tried the solutions I could understand, Nothing worked. Problem started with updates from Microsoft. Will wait until you find a better and clearer solution. Been a user for several years. Use vs. 2 as I did not like vs. 3 because of lack of user control. Hope you have an answer as I have been an enthusiastic user and would like to be able to depend on Secunia again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ejhilde RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 18th Aug, 2012 02:33
Score: 1
User Since: 30th Mar 2012
Problem fixed itself today.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Aug, 2012 09:06
on 16th Aug, 2012 20:11, amf00769 wrote:

Rebooted yesterday & so far everything still works, I suspect one or more of the latest Windows updates has knocked out something in Secunia PSI 3.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Aug, 2012 09:10
I am delighted to say that I have 2 machines and both are now working perfectly
Was this reply relevant?
+0
D.Allison RE: Won't perform initial scan...endless loop
Member 19th Aug, 2012 19:38
User Since: 26th Sep 2011
Last edited on 19th Aug, 2012 19:40
Update from my last: I removed PSI with Comodo, and installed the latest version 3.0.0.3001. I ran an initial scan that started that loop. Finally it updated itself a day later after running the PSIA. We shouldn't have to do extra steps to get a program to run after installing it. I haven't tried today yet, still shows green 100% up to date. Don't want to mess with it. Guess I'll keep using the program. Thanks REWard for the information to run PSIA.exe.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability