Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: MSXML update stalls

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
NBNorth MSXML update stalls
Member 1st Sep, 2012 22:02
Ranking: 1
User Since: 4th Feb, 2008
System Score: N/A
PSI identiifed MSXML as needing an update. When I seleft the lnk, the screen says is is updating. So far it has been "updating" for over 14 hours.

Shat gives?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell desktop, with 3 GB RAM, dual core processor, plenty of empty root drive space. All important MS patches are appled.

BTW, Windows Update does not indicate MSXML needs an update.

--
NBNorth New Mexico

Maurice Joyce RE: MSXML update stalls
Handling Contributor 1st Sep, 2012 22:40
Score: 11738
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This thread should help you:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/13...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
MaritimeRider RE: MSXML update stalls
Member 1st Sep, 2012 22:44
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
Go to your microsoft site for list of updates and download from there. Then restart your computer If I remember correctly, there is one for IE so download the correct one. I am just heading out but you should have no problem and the silly message will disappear. Your secunia icon will revert to green..
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: MSXML update stalls
Member 1st Sep, 2012 22:46
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
Sorry Maurice, We must have had our replies at the same time.
Enjoy your w/e.
RuthE.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NBNorth RE: MSXML update stalls
Member 1st Sep, 2012 23:29
Score: 1
User Since: 4th Feb 2008
So far, none of the threads has helped.

When I went to the Microsoft site for downloads, it sent me to the Control Panel on my l;ocal machine, which again shows no updates are required.

I rescanned from PSI. It still shows the update continuing.

Windows Add/Remove shows I have Java 7 Update 7, version 7.0.70. If I have understood various forum threads, this is already the latest version available.

Why am I confused?

--
NBNorth New Mexico
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Sep, 2012 23:30
by the Way, I already have IE 9. Windows updates have supposedly kept it updated with whatever it needs.

--
NBNorth New Mexico
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: MSXML update stalls
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Sep, 2012 00:02
Score: 1209
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
What version of MSXML is this referring to?

If it is MSXML 4.0, is Service Pack 3 shown in Control Panel > Programs and Features?
If MSXML 4.0 SP3 is not in Programs and Features but earlier versions are, have you downloaded and run msxml.msi from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.as... ( select the appropriate language if you do not want English)

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Sep, 2012 08:53
It tlurns out that I have MSXML 4.0 SP2, not SP3.

When I read the release notes for MSXML 4.0 SP3, it actually steers me away from 4.0. Instead, it recommends I go to MSXML [b]6.0[b]!. Part of hte problem may be that 4.0 SP3 is not supported for Windows 7, but only through Vista and Server 2008. Is version 6.0 supported for Windows 7?

Why is PSI having so much difficulty upgrading what I have to what is appropriate to my system? PSI scan still shows 4.0 is still being updated (continued from when I reported it had been doing so in an earlier post for 14 hours to date of that post.

Please pardon my possible naivete. I don't know just what MSXML is supposed to offer me and my system. Certainly, I still remain confused. PSI's apparent inability to complete the recommended update is part of my problem.

--
NBNorth New Mexico
Was this reply relevant?
+1
cmethuen RE: MSXML update stalls
Member 2nd Sep, 2012 09:41
User Since: 21st Nov 2008
I also had this problem, and I think the first answer from Maurice is what you want.

Right click on the icon in Secunia and see which version you have. Follow instructions for that version in Maurice's post, which probably means downloading MSXML 6.0.

Restart your system (I think not doing this was the mistake I made.) Maybe wait a while. Run Windows update, and then scan again with Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Sep, 2012 10:25
Right clicking the icon in PSI shows version 4.20.9876.0. Maurice's post (above) does not address this version.

Maurice's instructions at https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/13... versions 4.x, not 6 that you hint I shoule use.

Please explain this conflict.

I asked earlier if version 6 is compatible with Windows 7; It is not clear in the Release Notes for Verson 4 SP3. These notes only state that version 4 is supported through Vista and Server 2008.

--
NBNorth New Mexico
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Sep, 2012 10:31
The Release Notes give U all the detail. MSXML 4 is used for legacy applications.

If you currently have version 4 installed you installed it or an application requiring it did in which case it requires updating.

If you uninstall version 4 the application will not work.

The choice is yours.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 4th Sep, 2012 10:23
Have you fixed this problem?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Sep, 2012 21:32
Maurice asks if I have fixed the problem. I honestly do noi know.

I installed version 4 SP 3. I then scanned with PSI. It gave me 3 icons showing need to update: (1) MS XML Core Services 3.x, (2) MS XML Core Services 4.x, and (3) MS XML Core Services 6.x. I had not downloaded/installed any version 3 or 6. When I clicked each link "Click to update" I got sent to my Control Panel ->Windows Update, where for each of the versions, no updates were stated to be required.

I took the suggestion in "MSXML 4.0 SP3 Release Notes", near the top, "Users should upgrade from MSXML 4.0 to MSXML 6.0..." I downlopaded/installed this version. I rescanne in PSI and got the same 3 icons showing need to upgrade. As before, each link sent me to Control Panel ->Windows Update, where for each of the versions, no updates were stated to be required.

About noon today (MDT), I got as notice in my systray that a new Windows Update was available. This turned out to be for MSXML 4 SP3. I accepted the download.

Now PSI shows no updates needed at all. All 3 previous update notices have disappeared.

Perhaps I have fixed my problem. Now, what do I do now that I have MSXML 4 and 6 residing on my machine simultaneously? I thought I had been told that version 6 would repjlace 4. It has not replaced 4.

PSI developers appear to have adopted a very confusing presentation of what needs to be updated, and a poor way of linking to update sites.

Again, do I need to uninstall previous versions, or stay with my existing list?

--
NBNorth New Mexico
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Sep, 2012 22:07
This is the background to MSXML.
WINDOWS MSXML BASIC DETAILS

This gives a basic overview of MSXML.

MSXML 6.0

MSXML6 is the latest MSXML product from Microsoft, and along with MSXML3 is shipped with Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005, .NET Framework 3.0, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows XP Service Pack 3. It also has support for native 64-bit environments. It is an upgrade but not replacement for versions 3 and 4 as they still provide legacy features not supported in version 6. Version 6, 4, and 3 may all be installed and run concurrently. Windows XP SP3 includes MSXML 6.0 SP2.

MSXML 5.0

MSXML5 is a binary developed specifically for Microsoft Office. It originally shipped with Office 2003 and also ships with Office 2007. It is not part of Office 2010 or Office 2013. Microsoft has not released documentation for this version as they consider it an internal/integrated component.

MSXML 4.0

MSXML4 was shipped as an independent, downloadable SDK targeted at Independent Software Vendors and third parties. It is an upgrade for but not a replacement to MSXML3 as version 3 still provides legacy features. Versions 4 and 3 may be run concurrently.

MSXML 4.0 SP3 is the most recent version released in March 2009. SP2 support expired in April 2010.

Please note this SP was released before Windows 7 was produced therefore there is no mention of compatibility - it works flawlessly with Windows 7 on both 32 & 64 Bit systems

MSXML 3

MSXML3 is a current MSXML product, represented by msxml3.dll. MSXML 3.0 SP2 first shipped with Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6.0 and MDAC 2.7. By default, Internet Explorer version 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 use MSXML 3 to parse XML documents loaded in a window. Windows XP SP3 includes MSXML 3.0 SP9. Windows Vista also includes MSXML 3.0 (SP10).

Does your PSI Scan Result page look like this?

https://akkkug.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pMSKZd-0S8z...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability