Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: End of Life and Insecure warnings

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
laurabluestone End of Life and Insecure warnings
Member 10th Feb, 2009 21:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Nov, 2008
System Score: 97%
I have warnings of one end of life program (Macromedia Flash Player)
and two insecure warnings (both are Adobe Flash Player).

On all of them, I went to the Control panel and deleted them off my system. Rebooted and downloaded the newest versions. Ran the scanner and still getting the same warning results. Deleted them again, rebooted and ran the scan. Same results even after deletion of the "offending" programs. Clicked on the Direct Download links and re-installed, re-scanned with the same end results.

This has never happened before and I have been using Secunia for a while.

What are your suggestions for eradicating these errant warnings?

Maurice Joyce RE: End of Life and Insecure warnings
Handling Contributor 10th Feb, 2009 23:09
Score: 11732
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
What are the paths to the insecure items?

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, please follow there guidelines using the
ADVANCED interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
* Click on the + sign of the programme to “expand’ it.
* Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file.
* Remember the installation path and close down the menu.
* Click Open Folder and locate the detected file.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
laurabluestone RE: End of Life and Insecure warnings
Member 10th Feb, 2009 23:58
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Nov 2008
I already looked in the folder, before I even posted this problem,and all that is there is the new download I just completed which includes the date and time. Nothing older in the folder at all. I made a screen shot of it and saved it, but no way to upload that into this forum.

Any other suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 11th Feb, 2009 00:09
Not sure what U mean. If U follow the instructions it will tell U the various paths to the insecure items.

Once I know where they are I can advise further.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 11th Feb, 2009 00:09
Last edited on 11th Feb, 2009 00:10
Please ignore this thread.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Feb, 2009 02:52
Actually, I do not wish for this thread to be ignored.

I am hoping that someone from Secunia could post in here to reply to this problem.

I have done everything that I can do, actually several times over, and the scans are still showing 2 insecure and one end of life. I am in advanced mode, and I have viewed these files and they are all up to date.

I am not computer illiterate, and I have not had this problem with the Secunia software before.

Maybe I should delete Secunia, and then reinstall again? Or is it a programming glitch that needs to be fixed?

Someone from Secunia please advise.

Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 11th Feb, 2009 09:17
Last edited on 11th Feb, 2009 09:18
Sorry I used the wrong wording on a double entry I made in trying to help U.

Once I know the path to the insecure items I can advise U.

Go to the insecure tab & then end of life tabs. Next to the programmes listed is a + sign. Hover your cursor on it. What is the path to the insecurity?

It looks something like c:\program Files .........

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Feb, 2009 16:11
Thank you. The mouse hover tells you the same information as the installation path, no difference.

As of last night, after the MS critical downloads, now my IE7 is included in the list of insecure programs. Mind you, I am anal about the security of my computer, and ALL MS updates are allowed to run and I rebooted my system after last night's list was downloaded into my PC.

Here is what I have, so far, unless Secunia decides to find something else:

Insecure:

c:\Users\Laura\AppData\Local\Temp\mProjector690064 664\FlashPlayer.3.1.0b.ocx

c:\Users\Laura\AppData\Local\Temp\mProjector426630 7335\FlashPlayer.3.1.1b.ocx

c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

End of Life:

c:\Users\Laura\AppData\Local\Temp\mProjector340075 6731\Flashplayer.3.1.1b.ocx

Remember, too, that I have deleted off the old ones and installed new ones from Adobe for everything they have; Flash Player, Shockwave, Media, AIR, and Reader. All these folders have the most recent dates from 2/7/09 up to 2/10/09. Nothing older in any of the folders.

Oh, and I did use the tool to remove the old programs as well as uninstalled from the Control Panel>Programs

I am using Vista Home Premium with SP1

I have a feeling that I may have to contact Adobe personally to get this matter fixed. As for IE7, I probably will have to contact MS as to the problem.

I still say it is a glitch in Secunia itself.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Feb, 2009 17:38
The problem is with Secunia. The program is buggy.

These are the steps I took since my last post. I uninstalled Secunia since I was running an older version. I reinstalled the latest version v 1.0.0.3 and then I did a thorough search of the Adobe website to find any current patches available. I was able to find a drop-down list of everything they offer here: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

I then chose everything I am currently using and downloaded ALL patches, including the debugger versions for the Active X controls.

I double checked every folder to make sure each one had the most current date of the installation. Everything checked out 100%.

Now, I ran the scan with Secunia and it is still showing 2 insecure and 1 end of life with the same Adobe programs.

I also noticed that the scan did not show any errors at all until it came down to the end of the scan "Matching Data with Secunia File Signatures Engine". That is when the errors popped up.

And another interesting find with the Secunia PSI; if you check the Patched section, it shows every update including Adobe's, and that they are patched and not a threat to your system.

Hmmm...to me that seems like Secunia's programmers need to fix a bug in their system.

(IE7 is not showing up as a problem now. I really don't understand how it could have been a problem at all, with all the MS updates I receive.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
metaed RE: End of Life and Insecure warnings
Member 11th Feb, 2009 18:06
Score: 1
User Since: 11th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
The paths you posted make the problem pretty clear.

Flash reinstalls didn't resolve the problem because Flash wasn't putting the file there in the first place and doesn't know they are there.

mProjector looks like the real culprit. It is putting a copy of the Flash OCX in a temp directory.

The immediate solution is to clear your temp directory. If I am reading your paths right, this is the standard Windows temp directory. Recommend you clean that up by opening My Computer, right-click your local disk, click Properties, click Disk Cleanup, check Temporary Files (and check or uncheck any others you judge to be useful), click OK. It is also generally advised by Microsoft that you can manually clean up any files in that directory that are over a week old.

I am not familiar with mProjector so I do not know if that solution will be temporary or permanent. mProjector may be a component of some other desktop application---it looks like some kind of "Flash on the desktop" development tool so you may need to do some detective work to find out which app is using it. That app may need updating or uninstalling.

Good luck!

--
Sometimes they fool you by walking upright.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Feb, 2009 18:08
IE7 and other Microsoft apps updated with Microsoft Update sometimes require a rescan for Secunia to find the patch.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: End of Life and Insecure warnings
Dedicated Contributor 11th Feb, 2009 18:16
Score: 1209
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 11th Feb, 2009 19:47
You seem to have an application which has installed its own version of Flash (or something Secunia is mistaking for Flash) in your User folder. Do you have something called mProjector or an application to drive a projector? If so you will have to decide if it is safe to delete these files. I would think you would be OK as whatever it is has created several copies. Note that these sort of files are hidden by default so do not show up in Explorer unless you enable show hidden and system files. You do not need to do anything to the files you downloaded from Adobe.
I would guess the problem you had with Internet Explorer was caused by Secunia lagging behind yesterday's Microsoft security updates.

Sorry. Simultaneous post with metaed. Slow typist and thinker. I agree with the advice.

After a bit of Googling:
mProjector by ScreenTime Media is an application that allows Flash files to be played outside a browser.
It creates executable files which play a Flash movie, for example.

If you have mProjector, see if there are any updates.

If you do not have mProjector you have probably downloaded them from someone who has used mProjector to create files to play Flash content.
If you run these files again you may find they create more of these temporary files. It could be that the files which Secunia detected have been left behind when the progam ended abnormally and didn't clean up its temporary files.

If you trust the provider of the files not to have malware, you could tell Secunia to ignore the temporary files. I don't think the embedded Flash players would be exposed to random files coming from the internet which might exploit the vulnerabilties in earlier versions.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BrownBullhead RE: End of Life and Insecure warnings
Member 11th Feb, 2009 20:59
User Since: 16th Jan 2009
on 10th Feb, 2009 21:47, laurabluestone wrote:
I have warnings of one end of life program (Macromedia Flash Player)
and two insecure warnings (both are Adobe Flash Player).

LauraBluestone:

I had to install "http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/win/download/late..." "Adobe AIR [1.5.0.7220]" to update the ActiveX and dynamic link libraries that seemed to make PSI flags come up.

I had previously installed Adobe Flash Player [10.0.12.36], Adobe Shockwave [11.0.0.465], and Adobe Reader [9.0.0] but until I installed "AIR", the PSI would not silence its warnings.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Feb, 2009 21:54
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have done every suggestion mentioned and a few others, to no avail. I updated everything including Secunia and Adobe AIR.

The problem is with Secunia. I have checked and double checked the files in question, and everything is ok. Even the Secunia patched list is showing these files as ok. It is the Secunia File Signatures Engine that needs the bugs worked out.

Secunia's programmers will need to work on a fix for this problem.

Thank you all again for your assistance.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Feb, 2009 22:25
Last edited on 11th Feb, 2009 22:28
You are surely welcome. Does that mean you followed my recommendation to clean out your TEMP directory and yet the problem is still present? If necessary, manually remove those mProjector temps from c:\Users\Laura\AppData\Local\Temp\, assuming you have not already done so.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Feb, 2009 02:33
Already did it even before you suggested it. I really appreciate the suggestion, it is a good one.

The problem still exists and will continue to do so, until Secunia takes care of the bugs.

Meanwhile, I already know that they are updated and not a threat to my system. So I will wait for Secunia's fix.

Thanks again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Feb, 2009 06:23
Fantastic!

Secunia must be working out the bugs, as it just advised me that the two insecure programs have been patched and are now secure!

Just one more to go, and that is the end of life one from Adobe Macromedia, and then I will be back to 100% again.

I guess the Secunia people do pay attention to these threads.

Thank you Secunia!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Mar, 2009 15:24
@BrownBullHead

I have posted a possible solution to the problem of Adobe AIR being out of date at:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/156...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability