Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Flash for Chrome

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
SaladGoat Flash for Chrome
Member 20th Oct, 2012 10:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
OSI wants to tell me that Flash is out of date. OK.
The folder it shows is so long it doesn't fit, so I have no idea how to find it. But I know it ends in \application data\google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.89\gcswf3 2.dll
So this is the Chrome version of Flash. That cannot be installed separately and only comes with Chrome, so I'm told. So what's the download link for?
When I click it, and run the downloaded file, it tells me to close Firefox. My Firefox version of Flash is already up to date.
Normally when I see this update, I simply start Chrome and run the updater from there. Another scan then reveals my computer to be up to date. But Chrome is telling me it is up to date. Since last week, when this first showed up.
So what am I to do? If I close Firefox, will this install Flash for Chrome? Or will it do nothing, as it has done every other time I tried it?
Thanks!

Post "RE: Flash for Chrome" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: Flash for Chrome
Expert Contributor 20th Oct, 2012 18:56
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 20th Oct, 2012 19:08
@SaladGoat

Have you tried...or do you normally.... remove the previous/older version of Chrome when it's updated ? The older version/s need to removed manually.
The version you referred to was updated............
Stable Channel Update
Thursday, August 30, 2012 | 13:18
Labels: Stable updates
The Stable channel has been updated to 21.0.1180.89 for Linux, Mac, Windows and Chrome Frame

There have been four updates since then....the last one being........
Stable Channel Update
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 | 08:40
Labels: Stable updates
The Stable channel has been updated to 22.0.1229.94 for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

You can find and delete older versions by going to :-
Start/Computer/username/AppData/Local/Googl e/Chrome/Application.....then remove the versions not required.

Hope it helps......regards.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SaladGoat RE: Flash for Chrome
Member 20th Oct, 2012 19:42
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Feb 2009
I never uninstall my browsers before updating them. Shouldn't a well-written update do that for me? I am always afraid I will lose my preferences, bookmarks, etc.
I have found the folders you mention - there are three versions of Chrome in addition to the current one. Can I just delete those folders? Presumably Chrome is no longer using them. And if I uninstall, I expect it will remove the current version and leave the old ones....
Also, the file that Secunia is pointing to is gcswf32.dll, which is not present in the other installations at all. It makes me think the newer installations are using this file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Oct, 2012 21:36
@SaladGoat

It is the same with all channels/platforms/versions of Chrome.....tho' it silently updates, the previous version needs to be manually removed. I meant that you should delete the older after the update has been carried out.
Your bookmarks/preferences should carry over to the update. If however you changed from Stable channel to Dev for example.....or moved to Beta from Dev....you'd need to be more careful and make backups of data.That is all explained here :-
http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-chann... further down the page.

You can delete each of the earlier versions of Chrome without it affecting the latest. I use the Dev channel version and carry out the procedure about twice a week. If you right click on the version number you wish to remove, and choose delete that should suffice.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SaladGoat RE: Flash for Chrome
Member 21st Oct, 2012 01:50
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Feb 2009
Thanks for the info. I deleted the old folders and Chrome (with Flash) still works. Secunia says I am up to date. Yay!
I guess I will have to keep an eye on that for future Chrome updates. But why did I only have four folders? I've had Chrome on this computer for at least a year. If it doesn't delete old installations, shouldn't there be a whole lot more on there?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Oct, 2012 07:20
@SaladGoat

Glad you've managed to get it sorted.
Having never kept any old versions, and usually deleted on the same day as the update....I can't really answer your querie. Maybe there is a maximum number that triggers an automatic deletion. I have had the odd occasional instance whereby the old version has disappeared/been removed...but I always go thro' the motions of checking for..... each time.
I also check my old download/installation files and delete those no longer required....keep an eye on where my free space is going. I tend to remove junk files and traces on a daily basis....the performance of the browser doesn't get impeded.
Dev channel Chrome is now platform 24.......version 24.0.1297.0....and it's fast !! You may have noticed also in the link I gave you.....that you can get a taste of the leading edge versions ? You can run Chrome Canary alongside any other channel.....tho' that means deleting an oldie sometimes twice a day !!
Running CHKDSK regularly also deals with any anomalies being created on the disk......Indexing...lost/orphaned files....consistancy....security descriptors, so on and so forth

If you feel that your questions have been answered....as the originator of the thread....you have the option to close it....by pressing Accept. That will prevent tag-on posts to thread and reminder e-mails to your inbox......Regards.... .

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+