Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: New version *very* unhappy on my Windows 7 64-bit machine

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.7.x / 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Midnight_Voice New version *very* unhappy on my Windows 7 64-bit machine
Member 22nd Oct, 2012 15:05
Ranking: 50
User Since: 1st Oct, 2010
System Score: 96%
Last edited on 22nd Oct, 2012 15:11

I installed the latest PSI 3.0 (3.0.0.4001) on my Vista and W7 machines. It's fine on Vista, but on W7 it came up as 'Inspecting (or was it investigating?) Java 1.7/7.0'

And sat there for hours, with no discernible progress.

When I tried a Scan, it ran seemingly normally, but took a few seconds only, which was far too quick to be real. Hmm.

So I rebooted. Same screen display, same lack of progress, though a Scan was now taking the appropriate amount of time, at least. But not changing anything.

Investigation showed PSI wanted me to update to a later version of Java, 7.90. But would not do it for me.

So I did it manually, from the Oracle site, and that did at least get rid of the problem, and I came back to 100%.

But now PSI won't show me the 'icons' view - it's completely blank. I can see all my 155 programs on the 'Detailed View', and I can toggle that on and off, but the non-detailed view remains obdurately blank.

A further scan tells me my 155 programs are all up to date, but clicking 'Show Programs' shows nothing in icon view.

After all the blastcln kerfuffle, I'm not putting this latest version on any of the XP machines I'm responsible for until I'm sure it's sorted.

Please advise.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz

Anthony Wells RE: New version *very* unhappy on my Windows 7 64-bit machine
Expert Contributor 22nd Oct, 2012 15:30
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi M_V ,

I never , ever let PSI auto-update Java . Every time I have "tested" on 2.x or 3.x it never completed and i simply go get the update myself . There have been previous problems with Flash .

In the past Secunia agreed that the best way to update was to go to the internal updater in the software , then to the website for a manual pick up and lastly the PSI auto or manual update .

PSI 3.x is designed for the newcomer or lazy to have their software updated by the SPS "silent" installer and that is still far from perfect ; as you inferred in your other thread that is a trade ooff atm .

To get your icons and stuff a quick reinstall may well do the trick .

Perhaps Secunia will comment if they are able to clarify further .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Midnight_Voice RE: New version *very* unhappy on my Windows 7 64-bit machine
Member 22nd Oct, 2012 16:05
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
System Score: 96%
Last edited on 22nd Oct, 2012 16:06
Thanks - a reinstall did the trick.

I use PSI 3.0 for the people I support who couldn't, and anyway probably wouldn't, update their security issues themselves.

But I have presumed that PSI 2.0 is effectively frozen, and any new functionality would only be added to PSI 3.0.

So continuing to run PSI 2.0, for its greater level of provided information, etc., would become progressively less and less profitable.

Especially as PSI 3.0 seems to have started trending back towards providing those levels of information, for anyone who wants to right-click and dive below the glossy surface.

True?

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: New version *very* unhappy on my Windows 7 64-bit machine
Expert Contributor 22nd Oct, 2012 16:28
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

M_V ,

Glad you got the icons fixed .

There is nothing missing from 2.x versions seemingly other than the full range of SPS installers , but I may be wrong as I have never looked in detail and my 2.0.0.3003 is set to prompt before any auto/manual install .

As you say 3.0.x is moving back towards 2.o.x features but I do not know if Secunia will add new features to 2.0.x from 3.0 x

For my purposes , I will stick with mine for the "Secure Browsing" and other features ; although , I have to say , nowadays I do not use the PSI to dig around , my interests have changed :))

I will certainly take on 3.0.x when the SPS installers have reached nearer 100% and I can select out my Browsers , for example , which don't need the PSI poking around and may be in a non-default location ; merely having a prompt system and "inadequate" ignore rules is no improvement on 2.0.x .

Gotta go .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability