Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: google chrome update wrong language

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 22.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
westemp google chrome update wrong language
Member 9th Nov, 2012 12:03
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Sep, 2012
System Score: N/A
On several occasions google chrome update via Secunia 3.0 in the wrong language, I believe in Danish.
This happens automatically.
Now I turn Secunia off , because I must always have to install Google Chrome new in Dutch.

StevenJay RE: google chrome update wrong language
Member 10th Nov, 2012 16:19
Score: 1
User Since: 10th Nov 2012
Last edited on 10th Nov, 2012 16:27
Same happened to me after an update on 9th Nov Chrome also in Danish, In the settings the part to change language was missing. Spent many hours with dictionary translating it all. A re-install didn't work. Fixed it by downloading Google from http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/ which installed ok in English and the full settings menu is there.
Is this a Secunia problem as I have also had a problem with PortableDropboxAHK since Secunia updated it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
omitade RE: google chrome update wrong language
Member 10th Nov, 2012 20:27
Score: 0
I have had the same problem on two different computers following the "update" Secunia did. Not a nice thing going on and as far as I can determine it is a Secunia problem. I went to the Chrome Forum and there was no answer there. Does anyone from Secunia actually monitor this forum or are we just talking and speculating to each other about something that then takes time to repair?

Up to this point I have been very happy with this Product but now I am worried that it will happen again with something not as simple as Chrome. I'll give it a few days and see if a legitimate answer appears. After that, I will be uninstalling Secunia off of my network and I will notify Windows Secrets which is where the recommendation for this product came for me that this has some problems.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Granddadscott RE: google chrome update wrong language
Member 10th Nov, 2012 23:29
I had exactly the same thing a couple of days back.
Sacunia said Chrome needed updating and did it automatically.
When it opened it was in Danish.
Spent most of the evening trying to correct it.
Only solution was to uninstall Chrome and run CCleaner to clear registry of any Chrome bits and pieces.
then go to http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/ and download and install Chrome from there.
All is now well.
I have also changed the update in Sacunia Auto to manual so it won't update anything with out me knowing first.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: google chrome update wrong language
Expert Contributor 11th Nov, 2012 15:45
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Secunia support staff do not work on the PSI weekends ; you will need to wait until Monday (CET) at the earliest for an official reply .

Support do monitor most if not all the threads on the Forum but do not often reply unless a matter is complex or they are asked specifically ; if you get tired of waiting send an email to support@secunia.com .

The last time there was a major installer language problem/fault , the culprit was not Danish but Norwegian ; that problem was supposedly fixed .

I personally will/would never let a third party programme - however well meaning - update my software unless I can see "exactly" what is going on ; the PSI version 2.0x is much more accessible than version 3.0x (which is for the mewcomer and the lazy) .

It has always been said (including by Secunia) that the surest/least hassle/quickest update procedure is via the software programme's internal update then/or a visit to the vendor website for a manual retrieval and lastly via a third party update procedure (manual or automatic) . I have not seen anything to change this concept .

The Google Chrome Browser "auto/silent" update is highly efficient and is not meant to be turned off , is finicky to turn off and usually activates before the Secunia Advisory prompts a PSI display . It does leave an old/previous version folder behind which is technically only available to a user/developper and not the bad guys . The PSI (especially version 3.0x) set to AU may well try to "update" the old insecure/EOL file before you manually delete it . I cannot remember the last it gave me a problem . My Google Chrome Frame BHO sometimes lags behind the SA and sets off the PSI alarm - especially as the Folder/Files are very close to those seen in the Browser

Much the same applies to Mozilla Firefox these days - with the difference that I have "AU" set to prompt .

I never use IE so cannot comment there ; perhaps someone else may comment .

In order to control my own destiny , i use the PSI version 2.0.0.3003 with the AU setting of "PROMPT" selected . If you wish to be extra sure you can deselect the "individual" AU options .

For now , I consider the SPS silent installers offered by Secunia for the PSI as still to be in development and until the package is closer to 100% :)))) I will not let them near my Browsers , apart from testing . Hopefully , the best intentions of Secunia and its version 3.x of the PSI will get there but there are still hiccups to be dealt with .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
omitade RE: google chrome update wrong language
Member 11th Nov, 2012 21:04
This was a very helpful reply. I realized after I had posted that it was the week-end and assumed that there would not be an answer until during the week. That is only fair for a free software. How can I get the version that you are speaking of? I had a computer crash and when I re-downloaded Secunia, I got a 3.x version. I was fine with it the other way. I would much rather control what is updated anyway.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Nov, 2012 21:22

Hi ,

Maurice Joyce has this link - to a "secure" webpage he has created - in this signature at the bottom of any of his posts :-

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=E9EA368CBD...

This page of (this) Secunia website has all but the 2.0.0.3003 version available (listed down the rhs) :-

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Granddadscott RE: google chrome update wrong language
Member 11th Nov, 2012 21:34
I'am one of the lazy folk using Secunia V 3 and it is easy to deselect the
Auto updater feature so that you are notified if a program requires updating.
I then just start the said program and update it myself after the fiasco with Secunia updating Chrome the other day .
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Nov, 2012 21:53

Hi ,

That's fine except that the V3 design concept is/was to "autoupdate" unaided the computers of those beginners and the too lazy to do the extra work ; that there are so many "teething" problems is disappointing and hence so many updating problems appearing here on the Forum .

The ability to deselect the "AU" or the ability to "Prompt" were recently added to V3 after much discussion here on the Forum . The aim is still to go "hands free" .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: google chrome update wrong language
Secunia Official 12th Nov, 2012 10:57
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Thank you for the feedback. We have noticed a language issue with our version rules for Google Chrome which has affected some PSI users who have recently auto-updated Google Chrome. This issue has now been fixed.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer