Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia Versions of Updated Software Don't Work

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
OswaldGlinkmeyer Secunia Versions of Updated Software Don't Work
Member 15th Nov, 2012 12:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Nov, 2012
System Score: N/A
Using XP SP3 Home here.

I'm finding that when PSI (2) detects an outdated program that when I click on "Install Solution" the versions that it obtains from the web don't seem to work. Most recently all the Flash Player downloads just don't do anything. I go to get.adobe.com/flashplayer and get the new version there, and it installs fine.

Today, it was an update to irfanview that did not work. I clicked on Install Solution, and PSI downloaded iview_4.35_SPS.exe, (1,751KB) and when I started the program, it doesn't do anything at all. I go to irfanview's web site and download the latest version, the file is iview435_setup.exe (1,608KB) and it installs fine.

Why is the "Install Solution" version named differently and a different size than the version available from either Ifanview site or Adobe? Why don't they work?

Anthony Wells RE: Secunia Versions of Updated Software Don't Work
Expert Contributor 15th Nov, 2012 17:35
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

you are not the only one suffering , as per ;-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/134...

Perhaps Secunia support will have some input ; if not you could email them at support@secunia.com and reference both threads .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
OswaldGlinkmeyer RE: Secunia Versions of Updated Software Don't Work
Member 15th Nov, 2012 18:13
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Nov 2012
I'm not entirely sure that other thread is the same thing or not. My problem has been going on for some time, and I'm using version 2 of PSI. I'm not convinced the problem is within PSI. I think it is with whatever they're using to create and distribute the EXEs and MSIs from their web site.

Clicking on the update link in PSI does obtain a file (which seems to be coming from a secunia.com domain), but that file doesn't do anything.

The only thing that seems to be similar to my situation, is perhaps bibarnes's reply in the 5th post at 15th Nov, 2012 04:54.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia Versions of Updated Software Don't Work
Expert Contributor 15th Nov, 2012 18:34
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

As in this thread , the posters are using PSI 3.0.x :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/135...

You will see the problem differently with the PSI 2.0.x ; the SPS package is a Secunia wrap for silent installation and is not (usually) signed , is likely to be a different size and should work silently :ie: you don't know if it working or not until you check yourself either with a rescan or looking in the relevant files .

Like I said , you will need support to look into Irfan . Flash is a recurring problem for many people , not to mention JAVA amongst others .

As a PSI 2.0. user , my posts and those of Secunia on this thread might be of interest :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/134...

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
OswaldGlinkmeyer RE: Secunia Versions of Updated Software Don't Work
Member 15th Nov, 2012 18:41
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Nov 2012
Ah, so it may actually be working even if I can't see it working (which is not really how I'd want a manual update to work). I'm set to manually update so I can be there when it does its thing. I'd prefer PSI to just direct me to the download site so I don't have to figure it.

My workaround may just be be avoid the silent update versions PSI seems to be directing me to.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Maurice Joyce

RE: Secunia Versions of Updated Software Don't Work
[+]
This reply has been deleted

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability