xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: An administrator has installed Google Chrome on this system, and ...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Wbeights An administrator has installed Google Chrome on this system, and it is available for all users. The system-level Google Chrome will replace your user-level installation now.
Member 25th Nov, 2012 17:08
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
Does PSI auto update generate this message for Google Chrome updates?

E.Jeppesen RE: An administrator has installed Google Chrome on this system, and it is available for all users. The system-level Google Chrome will replace your user-level installation now.
Secunia Official 26th Nov, 2012 10:58
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
As the SPS packages we offer via the PSI contain the original installer from the developer of the program, we cannot say for sure what the installer will do or what messages it can give the user. Only the developer, in this case Google, could know this for sure.

Doing a quick web search shows that other Chrome users are having the same issue. It does not look like the PSI is causing it.
Anthony Wells RE: An administrator has installed Google Chrome on this system, and it is available for all users. The system-level Google Chrome will replace your user-level installation now.
Expert Contributor 26th Nov, 2012 16:32
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

As Emil says there is plenty of "discussion" on the net - try a search using your complete subject line to this thread :eg:-

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/14...

Whatever the cause , it seems likely/possible that a system level installation sub-folder of the Chrome Browser will be found in the "Program Files" folder and that a "user" installed sub-folder will also be found in the "Documents&Settings" folder .

At one stage I had the two folders and my problem was that both tried to "auto-update" at the same time and took over my PC for a few minutes whilst they did . I currently use just the Dev-Channel loaded in "Program Files" .

it could become a different PSI problem if you have Chrome in two locations and a PSI "auto-update" is unclear as to the "default" location .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability