Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: 3.x stopped working on 32-bit, works on 64-bit

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be 3.x stopped working on 32-bit, works on 64-bit
Member 24th Dec, 2012 19:49
Ranking: 11
User Since: 10th Jul, 2012
System Score: 97%
I noticed, a few days ago, that the PSI icon was red, so I opened PSi, which never finished scanning for outdated programs. Up to that time, PSI was working correctly on both computers.

This morning, I uninstalled PSI, rebooted, reinstalled PSI. As the icon was still red, I started a new scan; forty-five minutes later, PSI continues to state that it is loading.

What steps do I need to take to solve the problem(s)?

Windows 7 Home Premium.

taffy078 RE: 3.x stopped working on 32-bit, works on 64-bit
Contributor 25th Dec, 2012 11:20
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 25th Dec, 2012 11:22
Hi there.

I'm just dashing out so haven't time to delve but the red icon is a known problem*** - it can be red even when you're 100%.

I'm sure one of the experts will quickly resolve this for you but they'll probably want to know which version of PSI you use.

*** [edit: search for 'red icon' - you may find the answer there.]

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be RE: 3.x stopped working on 32-bit, works on 64-bit
Member 25th Dec, 2012 17:12
Score: 11
User Since: 10th Jul 2012
A quick thank-you note to Father Christmas from the Formerly Rebellious Colonies.

I did a search for 'red icon," not sure I found anything of use.

I suspect, but have not had the time to test my theory, that the stalled PSI is keeping the computer from going to sleep. If, and only if, that is actually correct, then perhaps it is caused by PSI, being resident, trying to do something that interferes with the Windows 7 sleep command. Running the Home Group Troubleshooter, which did refresh Home Group, plus rebooting, has not restored sleep, which was working until a few days ago.

Microsoft issued an out-of-sequence update last Friday. On both computers, PSI was red. As soon as I updated the 64-bit machine, PSI turned green. (I did not bother to have PSI scan as I was rather sure that the MS update was what PSI was indicating needed updating.)

I then went to the 32-bit computer, and installed the MS update; PSI did not turn green. I am relatively certain that sleep was working on the 32-bit before the MS update, which is why I suspect that PSI is keeping the machine awake.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th Dec, 2012 13:08
"former rebellious colonies" - that made me laugh!

If you search on the main forum page for 'red icon', this is what you'll get:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/all_threads/?fo...

and if my wife catches me on the PC instead of clearing up the debris from last night's drinkathon . . . . . .

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Dec, 2012 19:13
Last edited on 26th Dec, 2012 23:36
I doubt that one would call it a "drinkathon," but my wife and I did each have one bottle of Old Speckled Hen with dinner last Monday, surely a name for an ale that one would only find in Blighty.

I did see a few more threads about "red icon" using your search, including a lengthy one you had not long ago, but, again, little if anything that applies to my situation.

I have determined, by again removing PSI, using Revo Uninstaller, that PSI is not what is keeping the 32-bit from sleeping, so I'm still working on that when my wife is not using the computer.

One thing that seems quite strange to me: When I used Revo to remove PSI, including its Registry entries a few days ago, and then reinstalled PSI (3.0.0.6001,) the icon was still red, as though there is something elsewhere in the computer relating to PSI. I have checked both Local and Roaming in Users/AppData; I shall do a more through check on the 32-bit, to see if perhaps I can find a culprit not removed by Revo.

==

Later: I fixed the no-sleep problem, likely by resetting a network card to not be able to wake the computer; I suspect that was changed when, trying to figure out why PSI was not working, a Windows troubleshooter said a card needed to be adjusted.

Having finally fixed that, I reinstalled PSI; after an hour, it was still red. Both computers are on the same wireless network, and, as I have written, PSI works correctly in the 64-bit machine, leading me to believe that some unknown setting in the 32-bitcomputer is blocking PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Dec, 2012 09:56
glad to read about your progress. Fingers crossed that an expert will soon come and help you!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: 3.x stopped working on 32-bit, works on 64-bit
Secunia Official 27th Dec, 2012 12:43
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
System Score: N/A
We are still working to fix the issue with the color of the PSI tray icon. Thank you for reporting it.
Member 27th Dec, 2012 14:28
on 27th Dec, 2012 12:43, E.Jeppesen wrote:
We are still working to fix the issue with the color of the PSI tray icon. Thank you for reporting it.

Does this also refer to the apparent failure of PSI to complete a scan? I ask because when I open PSI, after an hour, it fails to show that the scan is complete; that is, the screen one sees upon opening PSI is the same screen that I see an hour later.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 27th Dec, 2012 15:09
@Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be
That would be a separate issue. If you have already tried the simple solutions such as restarting your computer and reinstalling the PSI, then please try to go through the steps in this FAQ entry.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Member 27th Dec, 2012 18:39
Last edited on 27th Dec, 2012 18:42
on 27th Dec, 2012 15:09, E.Jeppesen wrote:
@Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be
That would be a separate issue. If you have already tried the simple solutions such as restarting your computer and reinstalling the PSI, then please try to go through the steps in this FAQ entry.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

A few days ago, I had copied the numbered steps in the FAQ, printed them, taken them to the 32-bit computer, carried out the steps. Using the link you provided, this time I copied out the part of the FAQ in regard to the Secunia services, which I had overlooked previously.

The Secunia PSI Agent service is set to Started and Automatic.

However, on the 32-bit computer, there is no Secunia Update Agent service. Having determined this, I then checked the 64-bit computer, where the service is properly installed. The lack of this service seems to have occurred through at least two, possibly three, uninstall/reinstall operations of PSI (I know I have done this twice, not sure about a third time, over the past few days.)

(Further oddity: Although my text in this reply is below the `end quote' code, the entire message is posted as quote. This must be a part of the Secunia conspiracy to see to it that I have problems with PSI...).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 28th Dec, 2012 09:41
Please see this thread related to a similar issue also caused by a missing "Secunia Update Agent".
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/132...

Please follow the instructions in my last post in the thread.
Member 28th Dec, 2012 16:36
Log file submitted per request.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2013 19:37
With regard to this forum thread, http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/136... , I just checked the registry for my non-functioning PSI on the 32-bir computer. There is no User ID string in the Secunia entry, unlike on my 64-bit computer, the one with the functioning PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: 3.x stopped working on 32-bit, works on 64-bit
Handling Contributor 3rd Jan, 2013 21:57
Score: 11743
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Is any part of the USER ID string there? If so delete it.

Now reinstall PSI 3 using this link:

http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

The old copy of PSI will auto uninstall before a new copy is registered.

Complete a full PSI scan. That should create a new unique User ID string & all should be in order.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2013 23:27
1.) As I wrote, there was NO User ID string in the registry, so I did not delete that which was not there.

2. I once again ran the PSI installer, which stated that it was removing the existing copy and then installing a new one.

3. When that was completed, I rebooted the computer.. When that was done, I again checked the Control Panel Services, where I found only one PSI service,with NO Secunia Update service installed.

4. I next opened PSI and let it run for approximately one hour, which accomplished absolutely nothing, as it never finished, and as far as I noticed, never even accessed the Internet, determined by watching, among other things, the Avast! antivirus icon, which would have spun had anything been happening on-line.

5. Conclusion: The installer for version 3.0.0.6 does not work on my 32-bit computer, whereas the first release of 3.x worked correctly. I do not know if any updates after the first release and before 3.0.0.6 worked, although I believe--but do not know--that I had tried one such interim release which did not work.

Mega sigh....
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability