Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: MSXML 4.0 Update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
julio991 MSXML 4.0 Update
Member 14th Jan, 2013 17:34
Ranking: 1
User Since: 7th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
I just reinstalled PSI and after it had scanned there were 3 vulnerabilities. The Java one updated quickly by itself (auto update) the second was Firefox and that required me to manually update because of language?? Is that standard now on Firefox. The third was MSXML 4 and that also required me to manually update. As a Microsoft update I thought that would be for sure auto. Is there something I'm missing? I have the updates set to auto.

Post "RE: MSXML 4.0 Update" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: MSXML 4.0 Update
Handling Contributor 14th Jan, 2013 18:23
Score: 11785
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
PSI does not auto update anything Microsoft. Run a Windows Update scan - does that reveal updates that require applying?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
julio991 RE: MSXML 4.0 Update
Member 14th Jan, 2013 23:29
Score: 1
User Since: 7th Mar 2010
Yes I understand. We do get notified about the Microsoft updates though right? Just out of curiosity, which edition of PSI that you showed me on that link is the best to use? I just feel like this latest one is not familiar at all but if you recomend I stick with it I will. Just looking for the easiest and most familiar to use.

I was prompted to scan and that is how I found the second MSXML update. Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2013 23:33
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2013 23:35
I did find the second update for MSXML after I was prompted to check windows update. Just out of curiosity and because this version seems so unfamiliar, which version of those links to you suggest I use? And what is meant by secure browser notifications?

So sorry for the double post like that but this extension or link would not load and I may have refreshed it and got the double post. Very sorry.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Jan, 2013 10:04
I assume MSXML is now fixed?

As suggested, Secunia support all 3 versions of PSI. If you select version 2.0.0.3003 it gives a lot more details on browser attachments which can be helpful to advanced users.

You can try them all to see which one you like best. Just click the download link. The new version will automatically uninstall the old version for you & then install the new.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Foxred RE: MSXML 4.0 Update
Member 15th Jan, 2013 18:25
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Jan 2013
Have just been through same MSXML 4.0 update procedure on Win7/SP1 using the manual method recommended by "Maurice" in several other threads.

NOT EXACTLY PLAIN SAILING! Downloaded and installed the MSXML 4.0 SP3 easily, but then Windows Update offered no new updates after repeated attempts. New Secunia scan showed that KB2758694 was now required by MSXML 3, 4 & 6.

Decided not to do a manual download/install of KB2758694 but wait. Next morning ran Windows Update again and this time KB2758694 was offered and installed successfully.

Ran a new Secunia scan (PSI 2.0) on completion BUT scan failed to recognise KB2758694 had been installed and still showed all 3 versions of MSXML as insecure! Again decided to wait and eventually ran a successful "clean" PSI scan 6 hours later.

Not really sure why all the databases were dragging their feet on this one?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Jan, 2013 18:39
I see no mention of a PSI rescan after the installation of the various updates. PSI has difficulty identifying fixes with Microsoft unless a reboot is completed before a full PSI scan.

Could this have been your problem?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jan, 2013 18:50
MSXML is fine now and the poster that came in on the thread here was basically going through the same as what happened to me. I only had the first MSXML warning about being out of date and after that fixed by me downloading the update I restarted and the other MSXML files or whatever on my machine all showed as needing updates, but when I ran windows update to check it showed only one of the 4 as actually needing to be updated so that made a grand total of two that had to be updated. Now I understand what you were saying to me in the first place. Thank you very much Maurice for your time and schooling!j991....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Foxred RE: MSXML 4.0 Update
Member 15th Jan, 2013 18:54
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Jan 2013
Last edited on 15th Jan, 2013 18:56
I don't think so. I rebooted a couple of times after manual installing MSXML 4.0 SP3 when Windows Update was not offering the new update you suggested.

Rebooted again after successful update/install of KB2758694 when PSI failed to recognise this - only oddity was Secunia servers very slow when I ran that PSI scan.

All successful eventually but a little patience certainly paid off for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jan, 2013 19:05
That was so slow last night (Secunia) that I wasn't sure what was going on at all. I ended up with 2 MSXML updates both from Windows update but man was that ever sloooooooooooooow.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Jan, 2013 22:08
@Foxred - Pleased to see you are all fixed up - MSXML can be a bit of a pain.

@Julio991 - It also looks like you are all fixed up now?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jan, 2013 22:46
I'm all good plus I re installed 2.0.0.3003. This version looks so much more the way I'm used to seeing Secunia. Maybe you can answer this for me. Why, if you know, did the powers that be gut the program as that is what the new versions look like. They are so trimmed down. Not that it's bad to thin a program out a bit but beings that I've been a bit out of touch I'd like to know why if you know Maurice?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Jan, 2013 23:03
I have reopened the thread to reply.

They created version 3 for Beginner Class users hence the lack of options etc from version 2.

It is the only version that will work with xSI which is a new programme (currently in preview).

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer