Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Shutdown On XP

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
troothteller Shutdown On XP
Member 23rd Feb, 2013 06:21
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Moderators, this is the third thread I started about this problem, which did not stay fixed long. After restarting my XP-Pro following updates to SeaMonkey, Java and Adobe Reader, PSI hangs during the scan, never completing. In the System Tray, the icon is red and, when the cursor is over it, it does not show the status of programs. To my disappointment, the problem is not fixed.

--
troothteller

mogs RE: Shutdown On XP
Expert Contributor 23rd Feb, 2013 07:08
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@troothteller

What version of psi have you got installed ? The problem as you describe, sounds in some ways similar to what I experienced when I tried out Psi 3.0 again yesterday, on my Vista OS.
It did not install both agents in Services.....as a consequence it scanned but couldn't retrieve the results.....opening psi again, they showed up.
Have you checked that your settings conform to those in the FAQ here ? :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
I subsequently reverted to an install of psi 2.0....having first cleaned and cleared the registry of psi items .....both agents installed, no problems, and a full scan completed properly.
Hope the foregoing is of some help/info..........regards.......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
troothteller RE: Shutdown On XP
Member 23rd Feb, 2013 14:28
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Dec 2010
The version I had was 3.0.0.6001. I just made the changes in the Security section of Internet Options and will try PSI later. Before reading this thread, I uninstalled it. Note To Moderators: Please encourage other users to start their own threads. My last two threads on this problem resulted in confusion with other users entering their log files after I started the threads. Thank you.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Feb, 2013 18:56
@troothteller

I can't count nor remember how many times helpers on the forum have advised " Start your own thread " !!! I've since learned that visitors/users of however long standing, either have very short memories, or the top couple of threads is as far as an elephant's trunk stretches !! If you find a better way.....could you please regularly repeat it !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 24th Feb, 2013 04:47
I don't mean to offend, but during the last thread I sent a log file to Secunia Support. Then this long one appeared on the thread. I thought it was mine and I mistook the person who posted it, another user, for the moderator. Moderators, again, let's have some order please.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Feb, 2013 07:12
@troothteller

Your post wasn't offensive......more a trial of one's patience perhaps.
In some ways you might be suffering from some symptoms of self-opposition.......e.g. You are complaining of someone having tangled a previous thread...tagged on to your post....muddied the waters.....confused you.....disturbed the natural order of things ? This thread may now be stretching further than needs be ?
You will notice that at the top of each of my posts to you , @ troothteller ( unemboldened },
is written......whereas you have not personally crafted your reply.....and seem to be "targetting" all helpers on the forum....inviting others to answer ? But greater clarity may result from others engaging/contributing.... or more confusion for you may transpire ?
Perhaps you should consider that any posts without your moniker on the top could possibly mislead you ?
Agreed.....it's not a perfect system operating on this forum......tho' some might feel it should be awarded a gold star for lack of entertainment value.....angels nor zombies seem to stay around long enough to often familiarize themselves with it's development ?
All moderators have different ways of hopefully getting their points across....sometimes I find that words actually do work without reliance 'pon too many graphics....and Twitter-like minority or majority followings !!
If you feel that your issue has been dealt with....you as the originator can close the thread at any time.....by pressing Accept.

Regards.........mogs........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Feb, 2013 19:05
This morning, after having changed the settings in Internet Explorer to those that Secunia recommends, I reinstalled Secunia PSI on my XP-Pro and, without being able to confirm whether or not the problem is repaired, it scanned ending with a green icon in the System Tray after showing a 100% score. Having two systems, the other being Windows 7 64-Bit, crash to where I had to do clean installs on both last November, nothing went back to how it worked before. For example, Quick Time Player does not want to stay shut on startup. Every time I have to shut down and restart, Quick Time Player starts up again, causing me to bring up msconfig and startup again.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Mar, 2013 00:12
I restarted and reran PSI today, after checking various individual programs and updating to the newest version of SpywareBlaster. Now the System Tray icon is neither green nor red, but grey. So, we still have the same problem in a different variation on XP.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2013 21:00
Today I followed mogs example and reverted to an earlier version of PSI. I could not install v2.0 from Secunia's pages; but v1.0 was on the same page. The specific version is 1.5.0.2. When it freezes, I'll try a higher version, but not in the 3.0 range. Before I installed this one I backed up my Registry and went into it to get the previous installation all off.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer