xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: chromium detected, but canaray/dev/beta versions of chrome are not

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
earthsound chromium detected, but canaray/dev/beta versions of chrome are not
Member 4th Mar, 2013 22:11
Ranking: -9
User Since: 10th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
As a followup to this thread: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/138...

Contrary to what I reported there, I see that PSI is detecting chromium (I download the latest continuous builds almost daily) but it isn't detecting canary/dev/beta versions of chrome.

Why the discrepancy? The continuous build chromium is on par with the canary builds of chrome (if not even more recent), so it would make sense to detect all variations of chrome, too. When a security bug is announced, it is possible to find which build(s) include the fix.

mogs RE: chromium detected, but canaray/dev/beta versions of chrome are not
Expert Contributor 4th Mar, 2013 22:21
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@earthsound

The difference is that the Chromium release is a Stable build......latest version 27 ? See the Secunia Advisory here :-
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/44653/

Excerpt
Vendor, Links, and Unpatched Vulnerabilities

Vendor N/A

Product Link View Here (Link to external site)

Affected By 0 Secunia advisories
0 Vulnerabilities

Monitor Product Receive alerts for this product

Unpatched 0% (0 of 0 Secunia advisories)

Most Critical Unpatched
There are no unpatched Secunia advisories affecting this product, when all vendor patches are applied..

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
earthsound RE: chromium detected, but canaray/dev/beta versions of chrome are not
Member 4th Mar, 2013 22:40
Score: -9
User Since: 10th Dec 2008
Last edited on 4th Mar, 2013 22:41
Chromium is not a stable build. The following will give you a run down of the various builds available for chromium/chrome in order of least to most stable:

chromium (currently at 27.0.1430.0, build 185871)
chrome canary (currently at 27.0.1429.0, build 185827)
chrome dev (currently at 27.0.1425.2, build 185250)
chrome beta (currently at 26.0.1410.19 beta-m, build 185128)
chrome stable (currently at 25.0.1364.152, build 185281)

Here is Google's own description of the differences between the different versions (and keep in mind that chromium is more bleeding edge than canary):

Stable channel: This channel has gotten the full testing and blessing of the Chrome test team, and is the best bet to avoid crashes and other issues. It's updated roughly every two-three weeks for minor releases, and every 6 weeks for major releases.
Beta channel: If you are interested in seeing what's next, with minimal risk, Beta channel is the place to be. It's updated every week roughly, with major updates coming every six weeks, more than a month before the Stable channel will get them.
Dev channel: Want to see what's happening quickly, then you want the Dev channel. The Dev channel gets updated once or twice weekly, and it shows what we're working on right now. There's no lag between major versions, whatever code we've got, you will get. While this build does get tested, it is still subject to bugs, as we want people to see what's new as soon as possible.
Canary build: Canary builds are the bleeding edge. Released daily, this build has not been tested or used, it's released as soon as it's built. Because there's no guarantee that it will even run in some cases, it uses it's own profile and settings, and can be run side by side another Chrome channel. By default, it also reports crashes and usage statistics to Google (you can disable this on the download page).

(source: https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/gettin...)

So, if chromium is supported, I see no reason why the three that aren't cannot be. As I said, it isn't hard to track which builds in which channels have security fixes incorporated in them.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 5th Mar, 2013 03:55
@earthsound

I understand what you say....but it doesn't alter the fact that Secunia considers Chromium safer than the Chrome early Release Channels.
Some things seem to be changing.....From what I can see of it version 27 seems ahead of the Release Cycle. Perhaps it's because only recently, Chromium has upped it's game; and that after having started out as considered safer....Secunia has continued to detect it....
Chromium was offered as a safe/stable alternative download elsewhere...but it doesn't seem to be on offer now.
Perhaps it's the case that Secunia is able to detect Chromium
On my pc I've noticed that Canary is seeming less discoverable by other parties.
Haps the bleeding edge is becoming blurred ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Mar, 2013 13:58
@earthsound.....Quote :-

Chromium is not a stable build. The following will give you a run down of the various builds available for chromium/chrome in order of least to most stable:

chromium (currently at 27.0.1430.0, build 185871) *
chrome canary (currently at 27.0.1429.0, build 185827)
chrome dev (currently at 27.0.1425.2, build 185250)
chrome beta (currently at 26.0.1410.19 beta-m, build 185128)
chrome stable (currently at 25.0.1364.152, build 185281)

The version of Chromium you've mentioned *is also availalable for download from here :-
Last update March 5th
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Int...
Excerpt
Softpedia Editor's Review for Chromium
EDITOR'S RATING:
Open source web browser for a safer, faster, and more stable way to experience the Internet

The Chromium development builds....I don't know what version they're at....
http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-...

You can test Chrome builds or Chromium builds. Chrome builds have the most infrastructure for analyzing crashes and reporting bugs. They also auto-update as new releases occur, which makes them a good choice for most uses. The Chrome Canary is available for Windows and Mac and autoupdates once a day (about every 60 revisions). Other channels are available.

Downloading unofficial Chromium continuous builds

Chromium builds do not auto-update, and do not have symbols. This makes them most useful for checking whether a claimed fix actually works. Use the following instructions to find builds:

It seems to me that you have the version of Chromium....Developer..The Chromium Authors,
And not that from The Chromium Projects.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
earthsound RE: chromium detected, but canaray/dev/beta versions of chrome are not
Member 5th Mar, 2013 22:10
Score: -9
User Since: 10th Dec 2008
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2013 22:12
on 5th Mar, 2013 03:55, mogs wrote:
@earthsound

I understand what you say....but it doesn't alter the fact that Secunia considers Chromium safer than the Chrome early Release Channels.
Some things seem to be changing.....From what I can see of it version 27 seems ahead of the Release Cycle. Perhaps it's because only recently, Chromium has upped it's game; and that after having started out as considered safer....Secunia has continued to detect it....
Chromium was offered as a safe/stable alternative download elsewhere...but it doesn't seem to be on offer now.
Perhaps it's the case that Secunia is able to detect Chromium
On my pc I've noticed that Canary is seeming less discoverable by other parties.
Haps the bleeding edge is becoming blurred ?

Chromium is more unstable than all versions of Google Chrome. Chromium cannot "up its game," as it is simply builds of the open sourced framework that chrome is built upon.

There are two practical ways to get chromium: a snapshot build & a continuous build. A snapshot build is compiled whenever code is submitted. This is the least stable version you can possibly get. Each snapshot is run through automated tests to determine if it crashes, etc. If it makes it through all of the tests, a continuous build is created. The is the second least stable version you can get. Beginning with chrome canary, you have slightly more stable versions moving along that spectrum over to stable builds of chrome.

on 5th Mar, 2013 13:58, mogs wrote:
The version of Chromium you've mentioned *is also availalable for download from here :-
Last update March 5th
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Int...
Excerpt
Softpedia Editor's Review for Chromium
EDITOR'S RATING:
Open source web browser for a safer, faster, and more stable way to experience the Internet

Frankly, the editor at softpedia doesn't know what s/he is talking about. Please refer to the copy from google that you linked to:

(unknown source)
You can test Chrome builds or Chromium builds. Chrome builds have the most infrastructure for analyzing crashes and reporting bugs. They also auto-update as new releases occur, which makes them a good choice for most uses. The Chrome Canary is available for Windows and Mac and autoupdates once a day (about every 60 revisions). Other channels are available.

As you can see, the canary builds (which are the least stable, google chrome builds available) are created roughly every 60 revisions, or about once per day. The most up to date chromium builds (whether you choose snapshots or continuous builds) are the most recently built and most unstable builds you can possibly test.

on 5th Mar, 2013 13:58, mogs wrote:
It seems to me that you have the version of Chromium....Developer..The Chromium Authors,
And not that from The Chromium Projects.

Do not be confused by wording on Softpedia's website. There is only once source for official chromium builds, and that is either http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-b... (if you want snapshot builds) or http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-b... (if you want continuous builds). They are merely grabbing a build (as of right this minute, it's a build from yesterday) and offering it for download from their own data center.

The facts of the matter are:

1) Secunia detects chromium correctly as being an end user app and, so far, recognizes that it doesn't have any known vulnerabilities (at least, in Secunia's database).
2) Although secunia detects the least stable versions of the chromium/chrome browsers, it does not detect chrome canary, dev, or beta, even though they are more stable.

I do not say this to offend you, but you are just making wild guesses here that are not based on any facts.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 5th Mar, 2013 22:40
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2013 23:08
@earthsound

So what version of Chromium is now being detected by psi.....being as you've moved on from your earlier posts ?

I'm familiar with the workings of the Chrome Release channels.....I've run Dev and Canary builds for, what must be a couple of years...approx. I can only reiterate that psi does not detect Beta/Dev versions of programs....nor Canary.

I would suggest that if you insist that the Chromium version you have installed is a detected unstable version....you'd haps get a more informed reply by e mailing support with your findings/information.
For all feature requests or error inquiries, please submit your suggestions or error reports to support@secunia.com (including screenshots, whenever possible).

Hope it's of help.......sorry I can't be more accomodating....regards......mogs

Edit :-
Where you have included ( unknown source) in your post...as below.....the link was included to it above that in my original post...as follows...http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-... which is The Chromium Project page.

(unknown source)

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+