Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Feedback Installation Secunia SMB

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
xSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
futureweb Feedback Installation Secunia SMB
Member 8th Mar, 2013 23:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Mar, 2013
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 8th Mar, 2013 23:57

Hi,

here is my feedback. I have never used Secunia before, so really a newbie. We tried it on 2 computers during the week and decided to deploy it on our 15 machines.

We have a mix of Windows 7 64 Bit, 32 Bit and Windows 8 64 Bit. German.
All Member on a domain. Users don't have admin right, during installation admin was elevated (automatically asked for credentials during setup).

For a beta, all i experienced seems fine. For a paid product, I would have thrown it away. Because most updates, I had to handle myself, as the program just got stuck. You never knew, is it doing something, is it stuck. (Sometimes I waited 20 minutes, nothing happened, than it took 1 minute. Some other time I waited 5 minutes and it worked.)

Not sure if it's the servers it's connecting to, and that too many people are trying the software?

My main solution to get it working again was restarting the service. I should have done a restart-script, so often I had to open up services for restarting.

Here are some questions:
- I found programs, like Photoshop, where it wanted me to update from CS4 to CS6. Surely we can't do that if we don't have a licence. But Corel9, very old, is sais, up2date.
- I found programs, where it said, End of life, but not suggesting updating to newer version.
- I found programs, where a new version was available, but psi said, its uptodate.
- I found Flash CS4, where it pointed me to an updated Flash Player. (marked the flash.exe file to start Flash CS4 though)...

My question: When does it mark it to be updated:
- if it knows there is security issue. If not, it won't suggest it? (Could Corel 9 not have any issues, as Adobe has?). They still issue updates for older versions and you get them through adobe updater. .
- if it doesn't know the program, it just sais active?

Just trying to understand, why it's acting different.

- If user has no admin rights, will it still update software without an admin need to go to the machine? This is for me the most important thing as otherwise we would have to move to WSUS anyway.

Here my summary of issues I encountered:

- I sometimes found different infos on the computer and online in the smb manager.
Like it showed me a outdated software from another profile in appdata/... On the PC it said, all is fine.

Automatic Install File
Often it didn't find the UserID.
First I though it might be that at the file a (1) was added. Then I thought the reason is, it was stored on a network file share.

Then I figured following: No reinstall necessary, just restart the Service: Secunia PSI Agent, and then again open it, and it worked.
Service was started though. Had it happen 3 out of 4 times.
Today the last 5 PC's, I just waited longer before I started the program, seems, it worked then. (4/5 worked, once had to restart it).

Starting up the APP
Often you don't know is it doing something, as it often gets stuck, sometimes when retrieving information, sometimes at the splash screen. Usually closing it and reopening it does work. Once I had to shut down services and start them again, that it started to work.

This is happening on Windows 7 32 Bit, 64 Bit and also Windows 8 64 Bit.
So this seems for me pretty instable. As I don't know what the software does, full scan, partial scan, gathering information from the net, I can't tell if I stopped it sometimes when waiting was legitimate. But I tried to wait: 20 Minutes with nothing happening, 5 minutes and something happened, 1 minute, and it was there right away.

Security on starting:
Our users have no admin priviledges. When opening PSI, it asks for admin creditentials. That is good, so no user can play around with it.
But – once I typed in the credidentials, you are able to open up the software again without logging in. I can close the tray and open it through start menu, that credentials are necessary though. Not sure if this is the right way to do in suche a case? As again, sometimes when you close it, it still asks you to enter it again.

Using the App
When right clicking a program, sometimes I get broken images (where you set to ignore a program, or show details).
Restarting the service and logging in helps. Usually this occurred during it was installing an update

Updating
Like it started to update Winamp, Adobe Acrobat 9, and this stalled and never went away. It didn’t refresh. I installed those updates manually, still no change. Rebooting helped (probably restarting service would have helped too).

Sometimes on updating software it went as far as validating update. Also no refreshing, restarting service, and all was fine.
Most of the time, the percentage on top was going up to 100 % already, but the program still said updating, or validating update forever.

Web-Interface
In another thread someone pointed already out most of the things I agree on too.
One thing I mentioned in my previous post is, that ignored programs still give a red warning. I think ignored should probably remove this, so you can pay attention towards it.
There is just some software, like Zend Framework, that installs PHP for debugging and doesn’t always have newest or for older versions also on the drive, which is legitimate
and shouldn’t cause a security risk. As only Admins can open Secunia anway, no user could put something on ignore anyway, other than Admins.

Features:
- One feature would be very nice. That it shows, what software was installed since last check, or some kind of that an admin sees, if something was installed.

Even our users can't install new software without having an admin typing in the admin credentials, this would be somewhat helpful. Sure, it's not scope of the software,
but still I think a killer feature if available for smb.

Other occurencies
- One PC I just didn't get the 2nd service installed, the PSI update service. I tried the help found on this forum (PSI), logged in completely as admin. Uninstalled and removed all registry entries. Disabled AV. Still, it just doesn't get there.

I installed everything manually, but here I am lost. Tried for 2 hours with no luck.

- Submitting something to support does not work.

- Details for updates shows you have to have a subscription, not sure if this will ever be part of SMB.

- Opera gets updated automatically but changes default browser. (Might be an opera issue).

- Chrome gave a notice, that an admin installed the software and not userbased anymore. But it tells, that chrome is a manual update (or should update itself), so not sure why this suddenly came up after installing Secunia. Updates of Chrome within browser asked for admin credentials. Not sure if it's Secunia related though.

I will post more feedback after it was running for several weeks, as it will be interesting how updates do work and how much admin intervention is necessary. As this is why I want the software, having the updates to be installed without needing admin credentials. (Like you need for Java).

Thanks
Patrick

E.Jeppesen RE: Feedback Installation Secunia SMB
Secunia Official 12th Mar, 2013 12:37
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2013 12:38
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback. I will try to answer your questions as best I can. Please let me know if I should have missed anything.

Question:
“- I found programs, like Photoshop, where it wanted me to update from CS4 to CS6. Surely we can't do that if we don't have a licence.”

In these situations you can either obtain a license from the vendor of your software, or you can decide to ignore the potential security issues associated with leaving end-of-life/vulnerable software on the system.

Question:
“- I found programs, where it said, End of life, but not suggesting updating to newer version. “

I can give you a specific answer if you let me know what exact programs this is related to. Generally speaking, if a program is not only end-of-life but also discontinued by the vendor, there may not exist any vendor page or any updated version.

Question:
“- I found programs, where a new version was available, but psi said, its uptodate. “

Please see the FAQ:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Question:
“- I found Flash CS4, where it pointed me to an updated Flash Player. (marked the flash.exe file to start Flash CS4 though)...”

The currently patched version of Adobe Flash CS4 10.x is 10.2.152.26. I suggest you double-check the version detected by following this FAQ entry:

Question:
“- if it knows there is security issue. If not, it won't suggest it?”

Please see the FAQ:

Question:
“- if it doesn't know the program, it just sais active?”

If a program is not detected by the PSI you can send us a software suggestion so we can add it to our database. Please see the FAQ:

Question:
“If user has no admin rights, will it still update software without an admin need to go to the machine?”

The SPS packages should inherit the rights from the PSI, so this should not be an issue. However, if you experience any issues during your testing we would very much like to know about it.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. And again, thank you very much for all your detailed feedback and suggestions.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability