Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 3.0 does not run to completion or recognize manual updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
DonandLulu PSI 3.0 does not run to completion or recognize manual updates
Member 11th Mar, 2013 16:38
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Nov, 2012
System Score: N/A
I run PSI 3.0 manually each month. For the past several months, it does not run to completion and "hangs" on "Retreiving Results" and "Updating." This only seems to apply to Adobe AIR, Adobe Flash Player" and Mozilla Firefox.
1. Manually started 3.0
2. Hangs on "Receiving Results."
3. Restarted 3.0
4. Hangs on "Updating" for the three aforementioned apps
5. Restarted 3.0
6. Still hangs on three programs
7. Rebooted computer
8. Restarted 3.0
9. Hangs on "Updating"
10. Closed 3.0
11. Visited applicable app websites and downloaded and installed latest versions of three apps
12. Rebooted computer
13. Started 3.0
14. Still reports three apps as requiring updates and hangs.

Please fix this. It is VERY frustrating problem with an otherwise useful application.

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3.0 does not run to completion or recognize manual updates
Handling Contributor 11th Mar, 2013 17:33
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Looks to me like you have remnants of old versions still installed.

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
U will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.

Follow that path & right click to delete the offending files.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DonandLulu RE: PSI 3.0 does not run to completion or recognize manual updates
Member 11th Mar, 2013 19:16
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Nov 2012
Thanks for the speedy reply. I was able to follow your directions up to the point of deleting the offending files. The result of double-clicking the results of Show Details results in numerous files for all three offending apps, but especially Firefox. How do I determine which are "offending" or should I delete them all? Will this in effect uninstall the apps and will I need to re-install?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3.0 does not run to completion or recognize manual updates
Handling Contributor 11th Mar, 2013 22:14
When you look at the path PSI gives you it has a version number like this:

C:\User Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe, version: 18.0.1.4764

That is the file you should see in Windows Explorer - if it is not clear right click on each file until you see the version number PSI gives you.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: PSI 3.0 does not run to completion or recognize manual updates
Contributor 12th Mar, 2013 00:07
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Maurice, long time...

I have very much the same symptoms. v3 will sometimes load and sometimes not. It seems the best chance to get PSI to run is immediately after weekly maintenance. I manually check updates for Windows, FF, Chrome, Adobe Reader and Flash. After those are updated I delete the current Sandboxie and run Ccleaner. About 3 out of 4 times PSI will then load correctly.

I have autoupdates turned off. Most of the time I must kill PSI because it will "see" an old version of something that is in fact not there. I question that the autoupdates is off but what do I know? After a cold reboot I can run PSI (when it loads) and get 100%. Anymore I do my manual updates, cold reboot and then run PSI to see if some other program is out of date.

I am using the following:
XP Home SP3
MSE
MBAM (as second scan only)
Chrome
FF

I am wondering why PSI 3.0 hangs. Also why does it autoupdate with selection of off? One last question, would Secunia consider a PSI lite similar to the original PSI 1.x or are older versions available/supported? A manually ran PSI would suit my needs much better than what we have now and would save me considerable time.

PS: I am still on a dial up connection and do not wish to tie up my computer for hours with autoupdates. It is much more convenient to do updates when I am away from the computer.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Mar, 2013 00:50
I followed your instructions and experienced some seemingly very weird results.
For both Adobe AIR and Flash Player, which PSI is still reporting as outdated, when I double-clicked the PSI link and went to the folder, I found that the files there are actually those shown in PSI as the "secure version." The unsecure files are NOT there. Why does PSI think the versions are outdated?

For Firefox, I had a different experience. Even though I thought I downloaded and installed the latest version yesterday, manually, apparently it didn't work for some reason. Double-clicking the PSI link actually resulted in finding a file that was apparently older than the the outdated one reported by PSI. PSI reported firefox.exe version 18.0.1.4764 but the link led me to firefox.exe version 18.0.0.4752! I went to Mozilla and downloaded and installed version 19.0.2. I re-ran PSI and it is still reporting that I have 18.0.1.4764 installed. Why????

I hope you can shed some light on this, as you have been helpful so far.

Don Eager
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Mar, 2013 01:33
Don,
I need to know the exact detail PSI is giving you.

Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.

Post the detail to the Forum for me.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Mar, 2013 14:00
I can't figure out how to send you the information, so I'm typing it all in here.

Program Name: Adobe AIR 3.x
# Installed Version: 1 3.5.0.1060
Secure Version: 3.6.0.5970
Details: File Location: C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll
Installed Version: 3.5.0.1060
Result of double-clicking path in details: Adobe AIR.dll, Version 3.6.0.5970

Program Name: Adobe Flash Player 11.x (Active X)
# Installed Version: 1 11.5.502.146 (Active X)
Secure Version: 11.6.602.171 (Active X)
Details: File Location: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash32_11_5_50 2_146.ocx
Installed Version: 11.5.502.146 (Active X)
Result of double-clicking path in details: Flash32_11_6_602_171.ocx

Program Name: Mozilla Firefox
# Installed Version: 1 18.0.1.4764
Secure Version: 19.x
Details: File Location:C:\Program Files (X86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Installed Version: 18.0.1.4764
Result of double-clicking path in details: firefox.exe Version 19.0.2.4814

Note that all installed items are the secure items. PSI is still hung on "Updating."

Hope this id what you need to diagnose this issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Mar, 2013 16:55
They should be easy to remove.
THE IMPORTANT BIT WITH FLASH & AIR - Before deleting the vulnerable file check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running)):

a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2 or version 3
f. Microsoft Skype & Plus! For Skype
g. Microsoft Money

Right click on the icon that represents the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.

Double click on C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll

That will open Windows Explorer & U will see that file. Right click on it & select delete.

Now do the exactly the same for:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash32_11_5 _50 2_146.ocx

&

C:\Program Files (X86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe Version: 18.0.1.4764

Run a full PSI scan & the problem should be resolved.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 14th Mar, 2013 00:28
I really appreciate all the time and effort you have expended trying to help me with this problem. However, we seem to be back where we started, unless I'm really missing something. Using the Task Manager, I couldn't find any apps or processes running that appear to be related to any of the three problem programs. I shut down Internet Explorer, the only item on your list that applied.

When I go through PSI 3.0 to the location of the "unsecure" programs as you described, in all three cases only the secure versions are found, as I mentioned in my last post. There are NO unsecure versions to delete. I reran PSI 3.0, although I can't find any option for a full scan, I got the same results, program hangs on "updating."

I just know where we can go from here...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Mar, 2013 01:22
Don,
The first bit makes sense. Perhaps only your browser was running. The only reason to close them is some files cannot be deleted if being used.

To complete a full rescan just click on SCAN AGAIN (bottom left button).

If that scan completes does it still show the same files as vulnerable?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
datamungo RE: PSI 3.0 does not run to completion or recognize manual updates
Member 14th Mar, 2013 10:28
User Since: 14th Mar 2013
I have this problem a lot with PSI 3.0

When loading the program up, it will hang for a good random amount of time - anything from 1m-10mins.

Certain programs cannot be updated by clicking in the interface - they just hang. I would assume because they are actively running. Most noticibly with adobe, microsoft, java and google products.

When doing a fresh scan, it will just hang at the retrieving results page as the OP already noted. Only way around it often is to shut the program down and reload it. An interesting aside is that the system tray icon will actually update correctly even when its hanging.

Please fix this bug. One of the single most useful programs in existence for windows, and it gets so annoying to have to fight it each time to make it work.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Mar, 2013 16:05
Maurice,

Here is the latest. Started PSI. Same three items shown as unsecure. Clicked Scan again button. Program started. Got a pop-up message that I have a program that requires manual updating. Closed pop-up. Program reports "Retrieving scanning results." This is shown for about 30 minutes, so I gave up. Stopped PSI. Re-started PSI. This time, only Adobe AIR is reported as needing update. The installed version reported is 3.6.0.5970, which was the secure version when we began all this. Went to Adobe website and determined that a new version (3.6.0.6090) has been issued since we started this process. Downloaded and installed it. By the way, Adobe Flash Player was not reported anymore by PSI at all, neither secure nor unsecure! Checked installed programs on Control Panel, and it is there. Re-ran PSI again and got 100%!!! Still no Flash Player showing.

This is WAY too much work to keep my software updated. Secunia definately needs to improve the operation of PSI 3.0. I hope my experience will be of assistance in that effort.

Thanks again.

Don Eager
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Mar, 2013 17:47
Don,
Flash player not showing is an ongoing issue - not all Secunia's fault in that Adobe change the file name which causes some hassle for them.

I agree about auto update. I think it is better to switch off the auto update feature in PSI. It will still notify you that an update is required & you can then do it yourself via the vendor site.

Saves a great deal of hassle until they sort out their SPS updater.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+