Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Hey Old Chums!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
thedillpickl Hey Old Chums!
Contributor 12th Mar, 2013 00:27
Ranking: 376
User Since: 3rd May, 2009
System Score: 100%
Ducked in to the forum to find out why PSI is so clunky to use. Thought I may as well say hi. It has been too long I suppose and you've forgotten me. I find it odd that I am still in the top 10 list. xD

I should surly apologize for my absence for such a long time. It is that life has had it's way with me. I'm in reasonably good health but tired in my bones (if you know what I mean). For those that were aware, I am still working with special needs persons. (If you weren't aware then you've learned something new!) There is not much labor involved but still leaves me bushed nonetheless. Special note: My Maggie is still with us! She is my little wiener dog. I don't know the exact date but she was born in the Springtime 20 years ago. Still gets around fine and is happy. Vision is going and there are aches and pains but that is to be expected.

I don't expect a famous return to the forum. Not that I would mind but I fear my input would not be relevant. I'm still on one of my old machines with XP. Perhaps I may buy a discounted computer with Win7, I've not made up my mind. Besides, I am so far out of touch with goings on that I would fear giving bad direction.

I will of course make a point to come back here and check this thread. Hopefully there will be no mean spirits here and that you will have compassion.

until then,
dill

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis

Maurice Joyce RE: Hey Old Chums!
Handling Contributor 12th Mar, 2013 01:57
Score: 11830
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Hello Fred,
Nice to hear from you. Have you changed your email address? I send the odd mail but no reply.

I will try another "tester" mail tomorrow to see what happens.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Hey Old Chums!
Contributor 12th Mar, 2013 03:53
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Should still be the same. I am always the odd ball. I suppose I should be more in the habit of checking my e-mail. I go there and delete everything about every 3 months. I just use it for access to on-line accounts that require an e-address. Rarely for communication.

Life got hectic for a bit and I got out of the habit of talking with you guys. I shall fix that. :)

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Hey Old Chums!
Expert Contributor 12th Mar, 2013 16:39
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Yo there , Fred ,

Glad to hear y'all good to go still .

Like Maurice , was wondering about yur email address .

Will mail you soon .

Tek gud care .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Hey Old Chums!
Expert Contributor 12th Mar, 2013 18:17
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello Fred......long time no see....but I havn't started blaming the optician nor my spectacles !
The Eye Centre near us has moved on !!
Just nice to "hear" from you mate......Havn't had anything from taffy in a little while....but I expect your post will stimulate a reaction or simply wake him up !
I know what you mean....bones....joints....but at least no arthritis in the fingers.....generosity with limited resources abounds !!
I'm out of touch with lots of things too....what to do when the Adobe's got muddy....no senility with Java.....but still at the latest with Chrome.....my Vista's still a goodie but oldie....I notice the Chromebook didn't get pwned.....that may be the way I'll go..
I did e mail you a couple of times....I remember life wasn't being particularly kind at the time....maybe you've still got my address as I seem to have mislaid your's.
Take good care mate....keep in touch.....best wishes....mogs......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Hey Old Chums!
Contributor 14th Mar, 2013 08:13
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Hey Mogsy - you woke me up!

Fred, young man - so glad to hear from you, that you're OK. Email on the way once I've sorted out this PC. XP - like yours - so I can't progress beyond IE8 which many forums are dropping so I'm looking for a new desktop.

Maurice has been very helpful - I wanted Win 7 rather than the blasted "drag your sticky fingers across my screen" Win * but he's linked me to a piece of software that makes your Win8 look like a Win7.

Then I find retailers no longer bundle eg Office in your PC. Looks like Microsoft is forcing us down the route to their Office 365. Pay 80 a year instead of a one-off purchase. I didn't like it at first but I think I'm warming to it. Any of you got it?

Anyroad, enough of my woes! It really is great to hear from you Fred, especially to see your what-I-hope-is a typo: "surly!!! I can't imagine you being surly! Mogs perhaps! (Only joking!)

PS I've tried and failed for three days to get into the forum via my desktop icon. It says loading, tells me I'm 100% and then goes to sleep. I'll check if anyone else has had this but I had to go via the Secunia Home Page

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Mar, 2013 12:44
@taffy078

Surely you didn't mean to be so mean spirited towards Fred ?! I was thinking to show my generosity/kindness by being blind to his abject misdemeanor !!

How about some Bromium with your tea.....a path thro' the clouds of dithering purchacers ?
Or a short route to a virtual Altzheimeric environment ?! See what you think ?
It's only my hair that is grey ?!
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/14/bromium_th...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Hey Old Chums!
Contributor 14th Mar, 2013 13:02
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
apologies, Mogs, for thinking you were suggesting I take Bromide.

I've read that article - "thin-client computing", virtualisation et al - OMG. Doesn't it prove that out there in Microsoft and such-like there are programmers who aren't earning their fat salaries. Hackers can compromise so much nowadays that products such as Bromium are necessary. I'm still struggling with the decision "Office 365 or not?"

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Mar, 2013 13:27
@taffy078

Apologies accepted....to think that you could think such a thing of me !!

I'm just wondering if Japanese old school was better in the long long run !! If heads aren't to rock 'n roll, fingers at least should be chastened/punished at an earlier age ? Are we going the wrong way.....is there any real protection for the worms, mites, and error getting into our youthful thinking ?! When it's Spring again....at max....forget about Amsterdam ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+