Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Unable to open PSI via icon

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 Unable to open PSI via icon
Contributor 15th Mar, 2013 07:38
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 15th Mar, 2013 07:40

There are three other threads about problems opening PSI v3 (stuck on small business advert, or stuck on updating after scan):

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/139...

I can't open PSI v3 from the icons on my bottom bar on my XP desktop nor on my Win7 laptop.

And unless someone from Secunia tells me different, I cannot access my Results page from here (although I can access here from my Results page). (EDIT:) If I try the icon and fail to get to the Results screen, my consolation prize is that if I hover over the icon tells me if I have programs that need to be updated but I've no idea which ones!!!

Some members have already posted that they've uninstalled PSI v3 and gone back to PSI v2. That's sad but the problems have been going on for weeks now and when Maurice Joyce posted a problem with v3 about two weeks ago, the reply from one Secunia official was along the lines of "Problem? What problem?"

I know this PSI is free but Secunia benefit from our testing etc. Surely any businessman thinking about CSI would be put off purchasing it reading about all these PSI v3 problems?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

taffy078 RE: Unable to open PSI via icon
Contributor 16th Mar, 2013 08:17
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Still can't get through from the icon. If anyone else is having problems, I suggest that you have Windows Task Manager displayed when you try to see if you have the same as me viz:

Click on red icon
WTM Applications shows the Secunia Icon + Secunia PSI + Running.
Then ten seconds later, the red icon on my bottom taskbar turns to greem and a second entry appears on WTM Applications: Secunia PSI + not responding but instead of the Secunia icon it's the 'blank square'.

This is happening on my XP/IE8 desktop and my Win7/IE9. I've reinstalled PSI v3 five times on both PCs on advice from Support but enough is enough. I'm going back to PSI 2 as soon as can find which version I liked. (Maurice has the options in his signature so that'll be my first port of call,)

I can only get here via Secunia Home Page or via an email telling me a thread has been updated. These screens are shown on WTM as Secunia with the IE icon alongside.

So, please, are you having this problem?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
benhtempus RE: Unable to open PSI via icon
Member 21st Mar, 2013 16:00
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Mar 2013
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2013 16:00
I'm experiencing something similar. An XP box is drawing the outer box of the form and then exiting right away. No error or anything.
I'm 3.0 Small Business Version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Unable to open PSI via icon
Secunia Official 21st Mar, 2013 16:15
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
As a first step whenever the PSI is unable to open or unable to complete a scan, please go through this FAQ entry.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Sometimes reinstalling with the very latest version of the PSI can also solve the issue.
Contributor 21st Mar, 2013 19:13
Last edited on 22nd Mar, 2013 07:10
sorry Emil but I reinstalled PSI v 3 four times and it still didn't work.

The auto-update on V3 also didn't work, despite attempts by Support to help - it looked like a programming problem.

I'm back with v2 and I now have no problems of any kind.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Unable to open PSI via icon
Expert Contributor 22nd Mar, 2013 23:13
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@benhtempus ,

The "likely" answer to your XP "bug" problem is no longer in the FAQ's ; follow the link(s) in my post here :-

This is an ongoing problem in XP and Emil P. had promised to put it back in the FAQ's ; perhaps Emil J could do something about displaying the fix for this knownbug .

Let us know if it fixes the your problem .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
benhtempus RE: Unable to open PSI via icon
Member 23rd Mar, 2013 12:50
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Mar 2013
Anthony,

I traversed through all the links till I got here:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/130...

and this step was all that was needed:
2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text
services for this program'

Thanks, the client now shows up.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Mar, 2013 13:08
I'm glad that Anthony was able to help you, benhtempus. Is this a sign that like so many other forums, Secunia are pensioning off XP, especially as those users can't progress beyond IE8 and XP will disappear later this year. (Microsoft stopping its support for XP will surely make it disappear.) Perhaps Support will tell us what their plans are for XP users?

But the problems I've had also happen on my Win7/IE9 laptop so it's not just my XP that's to blame!

Still, I can relax now by looking at the 3 to 4 feet snow drifts around my house (with more forecast), open a nice bottle of red and replay the recent England v. Wales rugby match courtesy of the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rfsp6/Six_...)

PS Can this be viewed only within the UK?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Unable to open PSI via icon
Handling Contributor 23rd Mar, 2013 15:15
Score: 11726
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This is the latest RSS feed/email bulletin to Enterprise Users which is also applicable to Home Users.

"Support for Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 ends on April 8th, 2014. Are you ready? After support ends, there will be no new security updates, non-security hot fixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates.

If you continue to run Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 in your environment after April 8, 2014, you are exposing your company to potential security risks, as unsupported and unpatched environments are vulnerable to security threats. Further, independent software vendors (ISVs) ***and hardware manufacturers are less likely to support new versions of applications on Windows XP as we near the retirement date.

For many, migration efforts are well underway to get current. For those that require additional assistance, Microsoft offers in-depth technical resources, tools, and expert guidance to ease the deployment process. To learn more about migration and deployment programs, and to explore solutions if your current migration plans extend beyond April 8th 2014, please contact your Microsoft Support Professional. We are dedicated to helping you remain secure and are here to assist you every step of the way."

*** This is already happening - I have two professional programmes which are Windows Vista, 7 & 8 only.

The same bulletin also offers this information.

After April 9, 2013, no Security Updates will be issued for Windows 7 RTM. To remain secure, and continue getting Security Updates, customers are encouraged to upgrade to Windows 7 SP1.

Secunia do not manage anything Microsoft so they have no alternative than to declare Windows XP & Office 2003 End of Life effective from that date.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
mogs RE: Unable to open PSI via icon
Expert Contributor 23rd Mar, 2013 17:40
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Saw this article recently which may be informative :-

Microsoft to push Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to users starting March 19
Summary: Microsoft is starting to push Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 7 users via Windows Update, ahead of the early April end-of-support date for the RTM version of the product.

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | March 18, 2013 -- 17:04 GMT (10:04 PDT)

As Microsoft marches toward its early April 2013 end of free support deadline for Windows 7, the company is planning to update automatically some of those who still have yet to install the first (and seemingly only) Service Pack for the operating system.

As announced on March 18 on the Microsoft "Blogging Windows" blog, Microsoft plans to begin rolling out Windows 7 SP1 automatically, via Windows Update to Windows 7 users who still are running the release-to-manufacturing (RTM) version without SP1 installed. This process will begin on March 19.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-push-windows-7-s...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
E.Jeppesen RE: Unable to open PSI via icon
Secunia Official 26th Mar, 2013 10:06
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Last edited on 26th Mar, 2013 10:09
Just a short note to let you all know that since the issue related to “advanced text services” on Windows XP seems to have returned as a frequent issue, it has now been added to the FAQ again.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability