Forum Thread: DNSSEC is slowly making the Internet safer

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
mogs DNSSEC is slowly making the Internet safer
Member 21st Mar, 2013 17:52
Ranking:
User Since: 22nd Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2013 18:06

--

taffy078 RE: DNSSEC is slowly making the Internet safer
Contributor 22nd Mar, 2013 07:23
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 22nd Mar, 2013 07:24
thank you mogs

[edit] It's a pity that we can't give scores to the initial post on a thread. Some forums allow that.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: DNSSEC is slowly making the Internet safer
Member 23rd Mar, 2013 19:45
Score:
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 23rd Mar, 2013 20:23

--
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 26th Mar, 2013 10:32
Score:
Last edited on 26th Mar, 2013 10:39

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 27th Mar, 2013 11:04
Score:
Last edited on 27th Mar, 2013 11:41

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mtodorov RE: DNSSEC is slowly making the Internet safer
Member 27th Mar, 2013 14:11
Score: 17
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
Last edited on 27th Mar, 2013 14:13
Hi, @mogs,

I've read three articles about DNSSEC and I failed to learn about the size of keys and performance penalty of signing each DNSSEC request.

Do you think that average DNS server will be able to satisfy DNSSEC requests with existing hardware?

Thanks,
mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2013 16:58
Score:
@mtodorov

Thanks for the reply/querie.
I'm learning a little more about it myself each day as I find the articles......more from the perspective/viewpoint of an unparanoid individual...(The Internet's a dangerous place for an innocent Web browser to be searching alone for the right Web page)....than the corporate/enterprise situation.
It "sounds" to me like you may have already had some experience in setting things up from that standpoint.....already aware of aspects of it that I havn't got to yet.....or may never need to, personally.
My posts are intended to raise some awareness as to recent/current events concerning.
I am not ignorant of the fact that there might be financial considerations/restraints which may inhibit DNSSEC adoption/progress....but the costs of not doing so may far outweigh ?
How safe it could be.....yet how so very far away ?
Obviously it's possibly easier for Google to implement advantages/strategies etcetera ; than a small business.....but it also affects everybody when they get home at the end of the day ?

Regards.....mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 27th Mar, 2013 19:02
Score:
Last edited on 27th Mar, 2013 19:04

African TLDs, ISPs implement DNSSEC to attract more users
The move is meant to increase Internet use by ensuring better security

By Rebecca Wanjiku | 27 March 13
Africa's country code top-level domains and Internet service providers have implemented DNSSEC (Domain Name System Security Extensions) in order to attract more users.

DNSSEC is a security protocol that guards against online fraud, identity theft and hijacking of websites. It ensures users that the communication between an application and organization is trustworthy and is not susceptible to eavesdropping, tampering and other online threats.

Tanzania, Uganda and Gabon are the latest TLDs to implement DNSSEC, while Namibia and Seychelles had implemented earlier. In some countries, ISPs have also put in place DNS-aware servers that allow end users to validate sites with DNSSEC. For instance, Egypt TLD has not implemented DNSSEC but Linkdotnet, offers DNSSEC validation. Other countries with ISPs offering validation are Libya, Equatorial Guinea, Djibouti, Algeria, Zambia, Angola and South Africa.

"People buying .Tz domain will be assured of security especially when doing business online -- DNSSEC implementation has added an extra layer of security, increasing the value of .Tz," said Abibu Ntahigiye, TZNIC (.tz domain registry) manager.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/security/3437481/a...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Apr, 2013 13:39
Score:

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.