Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Stuck at "Preparing Scan"

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
NomDeGuerre Stuck at "Preparing Scan"
Member 24th Mar, 2013 03:11
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th Apr, 2012
System Score: 99%
I'm using PSI 3.0 on 32-bit Windows Vista. I've had it set to manual and use it rather infrequently because of the performance I experienced from it. Today when I fired it up and tried to do a scan, it got stuck at "Preparing Scan". I found one other thread that mentioned this problem. I tried a few things, but eventually uninstalled PSI, using "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel. I then manually deleted the C:\Program Files\Secunia directory as well as C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Secunia. In the Windows registry (using regedit), I searched the HKLM hive for 'Secunia' and deleted the results found. I'm not sure if the manual cleanup was necessary, but I noted another thread where someone tried several times to remove and reinstall PSI with no improvement.
After downloading and re-installing PSI 3.0, I'm happy to report that it is working better than before. The scan is at least successful. Right now I'm trying to do a manual update on one of the outdated apps detected. It's Adobe Shockwave Player, for crying out loud and should have only taken a few minutes, but it's been attempting to update that single app for probably 20 minutes. Anyway, I often use PSI just to inform me what is outdated and then do the updates myself--it's usually faster that way.
Hope this might help someone else. Good luck!

taffy078 RE: Stuck at "Preparing Scan"
Contributor 24th Mar, 2013 07:56
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
sadly, your're not the first. Here's mine, and there are many others having the same problem.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/139...

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer