Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia Popping up and closing

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
n4vig4t0r Secunia Popping up and closing
Member 24th Mar, 2013 08:16
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Mar, 2013
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 24th Mar, 2013 08:17

Hi,

thanks for this wonderful Secunia (latest version), I had just installed it on my fresh Windows 8 X64 Enterprise installation and the first run did go well. But after a reboot (and having Secunia sitting in the tray-area), whenever I click the icon or try to start Secunia directly, the window (though the windows itself is empty) of it pops-up for the blink of an eye and closes again. I tried everything so far but no way to get into the program again. Window just opens and closes directly:(

Any idea how to fix that? Thank you.

mogs RE: Secunia Popping up and closing
Expert Contributor 24th Mar, 2013 10:51
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@n4vig4tOr

Take a good look at the settings in the FAQ's here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Carefully check thro' them.....and note the last item :-
Now click the Services tool, and verify that both the "Secunia Update Agent" and "Secunia PSI Agent" have their status set to "Started" and their "Startup type" set to "Automatic".

I'm presuming it's psi 3.0 you've installed....there's been a couple of instances of only one agent being found. Some users...myself included....have reverted to a previous version.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
n4vig4t0r RE: Secunia Popping up and closing
Member 24th Mar, 2013 18:10
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Mar 2013
Thanks for the tips, I looked through them but canīt find anything helpful expect for your last mention of the FAQ:

both services are set to "Automatic" for start-up-type here, but only "Secunia PSI Agent" is running. "Secunia Update Agent" is not started. However, when I try to start it manually it says:

"The Secunia Update Agent service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

This doesnīt sound like an error, but not sure if it could be related?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hotellox RE: Secunia Popping up and closing
Member 24th Mar, 2013 19:03
I'm having the same problem. If I turn off my anti-virus software it pops up and the red and white Secunia logo shows up, but only momentarily. How do I get to the settings if I can't get it to stay open long enough to find the settings?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Mar, 2013 20:31
Yes, thatīs the problem, canīt even change any settings of course too. Uninstalled, re-installed, again same problem now. Very strange.

Are you also on Windows 8 X64?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Mar, 2013 21:39
@n4vig4tOr

The following instruction was given out by Support some time ago....exactly when...I don't remember.
In your case you're stating the both agents are present....but the one is not behaving correctly....if it's of any use....enables you to look a little deeper....whether the issues are related......it might be of help....if you choose to use it ?

Are you comfortable with working with the command line? You need to execute the file "sua.exe" in the PSI directory with "-i -L" parameters.

First, open "cmd" as an administrative user. In Vista and Windows 7, you can type "cmd" in the Start menu and then right-click the icon to launch with elevated priviliges.

Then enter this command for a 32-bit system:
cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI"
And this command for a 64-bit system:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

Please be sure to enclude both quotes.

Then, run
"sua.exe -i -L"

After restarting the PSI, it should now work.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Former helpers, please take note that if the "Secunia Update Agent" is missing from the list of services, that is almost positively the problem and should be addressed before other troubleshooting steps. Thank you kindly.

--
Kind regards,

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support

.............Regards.......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 24th Mar, 2013 22:27
Thanks; I am getting this when running it:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI>sua.exe -i -L
[03/24 22:26:13.362] Determining computer name
[03/24 22:26:13.362] Computer name is 'SERVER'
[03/24 22:26:13.363] Workgroup Name is 'WORKGROUP'
Starting 'Secunia Update Agent' service
'Secunia Update Agent' failed to start
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Mar, 2013 22:55
@n4vig4tOR

Have you tried an install of a psi 2.0 version to see if the problem persists ? Last time I tried psi 3.0 the one agent didn't install at all....and yet there were no problems with psi 2.0.

The following thread may be worth checking out too :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/136...

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.....Support may add something in the morning.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Mar, 2013 00:40
Iīve uninstall PSI 3.0 again and removed all registry keys related to it by hand afterwards, then re-installed. Still the same behavior. Window flashes up and closes. Iīve given up on it, just costs so much time that I could have kept maintaining all the program on my computer manually for months already. So Secunia PSI has gone to the bin for me;)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hotellox RE: Secunia Popping up and closing
Member 25th Mar, 2013 00:52
No, I'm not comfortable doing anything to a command line since I wouldn't know where to find it. I may have the older version of the product on my other computer, if I do, I will uninstall the newer version on this computer and see if I can copy and install the other version. My other computer works great so this might be the answer for me. Thanks for you help. Can't work on it until sometime next week, so will let you know. Thanks,
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Mar, 2013 01:37
EUREKA, Iīve found the cause of all evil;)

Funnily, after I de-installed Secunia, I noticed that Skype also wonīt start up and the start-up window would just pop-up for a moment and then close. I was wondering if this could be the same problem like with Secunia, so Iīve again installed it, disabled all start-up programs and then found the cause after re-starting each one...

Itīs: The Auto-Overclocking feature of ATI Tray Tools in my case!

If you have activated the Auto-Overclocking feature, which detects when a game is being launched so that it can up-clock the GPU and vice-versa clock it down when on Desktop only to save power, Secunia PSI wonīt open correctly and Skype will just close too after a few seconds. Whyever that is:

Fixing is easy: either disable the Auto-Overclocking feature of ATI Tray Tools entirely or simply add Seconia PSI / Skype to the list of applications to ignore for auto-overclocking in ATI Tray Tools. And voila, everything works perfect again!

Thatīs a thing that should be added to the FAQ I suppose.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+