xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Will SMB be able to do manual updates?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
xSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Steven_Shank Will SMB be able to do manual updates?
Member 28th Mar, 2013 21:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th May, 2009
System Score: N/A
Is it in the plans for SMB to allow for manual updating of client computers from the console? Checking doesn't do a lot if we can't do anything to fix it.

E.Jeppesen RE: Will SMB be able to do manual updates?
Secunia Official 2nd Apr, 2013 13:28
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Last edited on 2nd Apr, 2013 13:29
If the connected PSIís have been set to automatically start auto-updating once a vulnerable program is detected, then no further interaction should be required.
Steven_Shank RE: Will SMB be able to do manual updates?
Member 2nd Apr, 2013 20:22
Score: 0
User Since: 15th May 2009
There are very common instances where that isn't true. The mozilla software will not auto update. I don't think Chrome does either. Both Firefox and Thunderbird require manual updating. Some other programs like the xml parser also needed to be done manually. So, I'm guessing that at this time, there is no clear plan to add a feature to allow the person to do those programs requiring manual updating to be updated from the console computer?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Will SMB be able to do manual updates?
Handling Contributor 3rd Apr, 2013 00:54
Score: 11785
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2013 10:07
Steven
I agree - the auto update feature is not all inclusive & many programmes cannot be auto updated. The slowness of the auto update feature is also a concern in that it appears to take forever to complete a task.

I use two workarounds which I do think are viable for a work environment which clearly is the (new) audience Secunia are looking at to sell it.

1. 2 end points use Radmin/Hamachi where I can remotely fix items using manual updating. This is an extra cost item to each endpoint.

2. I have created an Excel spreadsheet with a direct vendor download link for every programme (less Microsoft which are managed via Windows Update) noted on my console. I send this to the end points via email on a weekly basis indicating which programme(s) requires an update. Endpoints are told to switch off the auto update feature.

3. Zero day exploits are dealt with as & when also by email.

In its present form I would submit that the Administrator has not got total control of all (s)he sees. It is more an information console until the system is fully automated.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer