xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Should a Scan Take >30 Minutes?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jdcrutch Should a Scan Take >30 Minutes?
Member 2nd Apr, 2013 19:27
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Apr, 2013
System Score: N/A
I installed PSI a few days ago on my Windows 7 64-bit computer. I've run two or three scans, and each time the scan has taken quite a long time--certainly more than ten minutes, and probably more than thirty, but I don't know how long, because after a while I've given up and gone to bed with the scan running, and come back in the morning to find it complete.

I don't know how many programs I have installed (I'm not at my own computer right now, so I can't check until this evening), but I don't think it's an unusually large number--probably fewer than 100. I'm not a gamer or a power user, and the biggest and most complicated applications I have are probably those in the Adobe CS4 Master Collection.

I have 1GB of RAM and plenty of free space on my system drive.

I'll be grateful if anybody can tell me, (1) should scans be taking so long? and, (2) if not, what should I do about it?

If you need more information, please let me know what you need, and I'll add it tonight.

Regards,

Jim Crutchfield
Long Island City, NY

mogs RE: Should a Scan Take >30 Minutes?
Expert Contributor 2nd Apr, 2013 21:09
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@jdcrutch

I'm running an older Vista OS with IGB RAM and Readyboost...........using psi version 2.0.0.3003.....which usually takes about 2/3 mins.....sometimes up to 7....and nearly always, longer following Windows updates.
I've found it's good practise to run my cleaner and defrag ( Puran with boot-time ) before carrying out a full psi scan...it seems to help. Even tho' Windows doesn't always require a reboot after updating....that also seems to affect scan times...rebooting that is.
I tend to clear out files from downloads as soon as no longer required....running about 70 progs in all. I too keep an eye on my free space !

Hope it helps.......regards.......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Should a Scan Take >30 Minutes?
Handling Contributor 2nd Apr, 2013 21:41
Score: 11626
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
You are both reportedly running systems that are near or at there their limit with regard to RAM. Both will be slow whatever actions are taken as can be seen from the requirements here:

Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/produc...

Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183

There are other factors:

a. Your average ISP speed.

b. The Secunia Server.

If looking to upgrade your RAM care must be taken that all the PC components will support an upgrade & RAM slots are available. A good indicator is to scan using a tool like this:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

As a guideline/comparison my continual full PSI scan tests reveal these average scan speeds for 113 items.

Version 2 - 11 to 19 seconds.

Version 3 - 15 to 60 seconds. (it is well documented that this PSI version has the speed of a snail)

Those average speeds are obtained using Windows 7 SP1 - 16GB of RAM with an average ISP speed of 77MB download & 18MB upload.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
jdcrutch RE: Should a Scan Take >30 Minutes?
Member 2nd Apr, 2013 21:48
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Apr 2013
Thanks, mogs.

I expected the first scan to take a while, but after the program has built its local data base or profile or whatever, I'd think it would need a lot less time, unless I made a lot of changes that it had to account for.

I keep my disks defragmented with Diskeeper, which runs constantly in the background, so fragmentation ought not to be an issue.

Maybe it would help if I told PSI to scan only my system drive? I have several hard drives, both internal and external, and some of them are quite old and slow. On the other hand, if PSI were scanning those, it would find my software archive, where I store installers for programs I've downloaded, and it presumably would identify several of those as obsolete--unless maybe it doesn't pay any attention to installers.

Well, we shall see. If I get home at a decent hour tonight, I'll run another scan and see what happens. Thanks again.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Should a Scan Take >30 Minutes?
Expert Contributor 2nd Apr, 2013 22:38
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@Maurice

Thanks for the information/consideration Maurice....as always appreciated and duly noted.
Whilst I have thought of increasing RAM before....to be honest, it's only psi that seems more affected. In every other way that I use it....the laptop is quicker than when I first got it. The fact that it is a laptop and not much GB ; I think....tends to concentrate the mind on some things....little things....number of cookies..bookmarks....I simply enjoy trying to get the best out of it....no skip full of a Recycle bin....and running Canary on the edge.....maybe it's not the best analogy.....but a bit like having a new throwaway razor every day....and of the old one...no trace !
It never seems unstable to me !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jdcrutch RE: Should a Scan Take >30 Minutes?
Member 2nd Apr, 2013 22:50
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Apr 2013
Thanks to Maurice Joyce for that helpful information.

I have 12 GB of RAM, not just one. I reported it earlier from memory, because the computer's at home and I'm not, but I checked my configuration on the manufacturer's web site, and it's definitely 12 GB.

I have a cable broadband connection to the internet. I don't remember the speed, but my speed test results have compared favorably with those of others using my ISP in the same area, so I don't think my connection speed is the problem.

When I have time to run another scan, I'll see if running CCleaner first helps any.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Apr, 2013 23:35
Jim,
The scan should certainly be faster than 30 minutes with the PC specs you now describe including the use of Diskeeper which is a real bonus. Interested to know what happens on the next full scan.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Apr, 2013 23:56
@mogs

You clearly know the limitations of your current set up. If that suits you then you are wise not throwing money at it.

I also agree with you on using PSI hence,as you know,I do not & will not have it permanently installed on my main PC. It is SLOW whatever the PC set up. It is certainly the slowest programme I use when I bother to install PSI. "Watching paint dry springs to mind"!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability