xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
KsTinMan Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Member 7th Apr, 2013 23:40
Ranking: 4
User Since: 7th Apr, 2013
System Score: N/A
I've been frustrated and indeed appalled with the changes made in PSI 3. I am currently doing a scan, which has taken well over an hour already. Even the GUI has been made less functional and harder to use. I never understood the need which software engineers have to completely revamp a perfectly good application. Job security perhaps? A currently powerful OS manufacturer does this on a regular basis. Their motto? Give them what you want them to have, not what they need.

If Secunia expects anyone to purchase their software they need to start over. Go back to a program that's an asset instead of a constant frustration. I will give your beta a try, but I have reservations at this point.

I was one of those potential buyers until version 3 was released. I'll never buy it unless they fix it. For now, I'm downloading and installing http://filehippo.com/updatechecker/ , a file update checker from FileHippo. Careful Secunia... you have competition!

Leendert Kip Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Member 8th Apr, 2013 01:29
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 8th Apr, 2013 01:32
First of all: you cannot 'buy' PSI because it's free software. Secondly, you cannot compare PSI with Filehippo's update checker. PSI is a vulnerability checker and warns only for updates which are to patch programs with security risks. Filehippo's update checker warns for normal updates. Personally I have no problems with PSI. In the past I used all versions. Never really big problems as far as I remember, I too use Filehippo's update checker to let me know about new updates for the software I use and then, in most cases, use the internal updater. I understand you are frustrated because of the problems you have. I recommend: wait untill one of the more exdperienced members of the forum jumps in to help you.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+2
KsTinMan RE: Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Member 8th Apr, 2013 06:27
Score: 4
User Since: 7th Apr 2013
OK, I was mistaken when I made the statement that PSI was a purchasable application. However, they do indeed offer two programs for sale: Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM) and Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)... I had intended to purchase one of them before PSI 3.0 was released. Now it's not even an option.

When I find a good application I invariably pay for it. Perhaps I'm the exception to the rule, but as an aerospace software engineer I know just how many hours and work goes into a great program. And I feel almost obligated to compensate the engineers involved when I use the app frequently.

Like you, I also use FileHippo's Update Checker to update apps for which Secunia does not provide support, the same as I use SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot Search and Destroy (as an example). IMHO, you can't be too careful these days. There are many other programs I use to keep my computer as secure as possible (such as Sandboxie), but you get the idea.

Seriously, do you find PSI V 3.0 superior to PSI V 2.0?

My PC?
P6X58D-E Motherboard
Intel Core i7-950
True SATA 6Gb/s RAID Support with True USB 3.0
12 GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, matched sets
Nvidia GTX 660
One 1 TB HDD and two 60 GB SSD's
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - SP1

I can play Crysis with no freezing, stuttering or any other issues. In fact, there is no game I play which has any issues.

I also keep my TSR's to a minimum. There are only 7 total applications that I allow to run on startup.

I guess I'm saying that this PC has no discernible reason to take hours to scan and load Secunia. You may like PSI, but I see plenty of other people complaining about the same thing here in the forum. Are we all wrong?
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Leendert Kip Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Member 8th Apr, 2013 07:53
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 8th Apr, 2013 08:11
I'm just a home user with some experience. Yes, my personal opinion is that PSI 3 is better than previous versions because it's easier to use for me and it performs the task for which it is designed. Because I'm a home user I cannot afford to pay for professional software like the Secunia products you mention. Too expensive and complicated for a home user. I do use some professional software: Avira Internet Security 2013, Raxco PerfectDisk 12.5P and Revo Uninstaller pro. Revo because the free version doesn't cover 64 bit software. For PSI there is support in this forum. There are many experienced users who can help you and Secunia support is active in the forum. When you explain your problems more in detail you no doubt find help.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+2
PeoLarsson RE: Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Member 8th Apr, 2013 15:54
Score: 1
User Since: 8th Apr 2013
Last edited on 8th Apr, 2013 15:56
>Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?

Not me. I completely agree with you, KsTinMan. I uninstalled PSI 3 after testing it, and installed ver 2 again. I find the GUI much more appealing.
/Peo Larsson
Was this reply relevant?
+1
UncleW3 RE: Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Member 8th Apr, 2013 19:15
Score: 1
User Since: 8th Apr 2013
I do have to agree with you about the general usability . . . V.3 is much less intuitive than V.2. I used to love PSI and recommended if often to many of my friends but right now I can't even figure out how to re-scan a single program (and I can't find any reference to same in the community forums or support pages). Furthermore, a number of programs on the status interface show that they are "Updating" long after the update has finished or that they are out-of-date when the version displayed is no longer the installed version.

I hope the Secunia team is listening.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 8th Apr, 2013 21:38
Well, there must be something that makes PSI 3 usable and acceptably functional for you. I join you in the hope that someone at Secunia will address this issue. Who knows... perhaps I have a software conflict. It sure as heck isn't my computer...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Apr, 2013 21:45
UncleW3: We apparently are in the same sinking boat. For now I am also going to reinstall version 2 as you did. I really like the peace of mind I get from having the 181 programs which access the Internet kept up to date. We are in an environment in which they are out to get us, and the easiest way for them to do that is to exploit out-of-date peripheral applications.

Thanks for your input!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Apr, 2013 04:35
on 8th Apr, 2013 15:54, PeoLarsson wrote:
>Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?

Not me. I completely agree with you, KsTinMan. I uninstalled PSI 3 after testing it, and installed ver 2 again. I find the GUI much more appealing.
/Peo Larsson

Before I read your post I was unaware that I could even find PSI 2.0. I did locate it today and installed it. For now I'm quite happy. Since it's a free application I don't expect Secunia to respond to my complaint, but I am hopeful that they may listen to their customer's concerns.

Thank you for your response!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
E.Jeppesen RE: Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Secunia Official 9th Apr, 2013 09:15
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Thank you all for the feedback you are providing. We do indeed follow threads like this and try to fix any bugs and address any suggestions for improvements that we come across.
Member 9th Apr, 2013 20:58
on 9th Apr, 2013 09:15, E.Jeppesen wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback you are providing. We do indeed follow threads like this and try to fix any bugs and address any suggestions for improvements that we come across.

I am encouraged to hear that someone at Secunia is interested in our feedback. If I may, I'd like to mention a few items which I feel need to be addressed.

First, UncleW3 has valid points that I agree with 100%, and I'd like to add my own thoughts. I also routinely recommended PSI 2,0 (before PSI 3.0 was released) to virtually everyone I knew, even when some weren't particularly interested, Getting folks to be aware of the ever growing cybercrime epidemic isn't always an easy task. It doesn't get any easier when the recommended application malfunctions. But, I digress.

The missing "additional information and options" window leaves us with a huge lack of information on the state of a scanned application. Some folks may want PSI to do its job and leave them alone. Those users enjoy the simplicity and don't care about how it works. From my point of view, being able to get into the works of any application is as important as the application itself. Kind of like being operate the Disk Manager or the Registry Editor in Windows. I know how to use them and I want access to them. Take them away and you'll lose a customer.

The "Toolbox" functions and the"Online References" in the options window are invaluable. Being able to Re-Scan a program, select Extra Information/Known Issues, and the rest of the resources in the Options window are some of the features I liked the best about PSI 2.0. Losing those options makes it a less useful program for me.

The worst offense is the inordinate amount of time it takes to load and scan with PSI 3.0.
I'm not sure what's up, but it works the same way on three different computers. My PC, my wife's Asus Windows 7 laptop, and my old Dell Win-XP SP3 laptop. None of them have the same set of software, including security. If I have different security applications on all three computers, I'm less likely to be hit by the same malware. Bottom line, Version 3 is only usable if you have a few hours to let your computer sit and run PSI V 3.0

My suggestion would be to offer a full-featured application and another that requires minimum intervention. Good luck to you there, and thanks for listening!

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Expert Contributor 10th Apr, 2013 00:06
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

on 9th Apr, 2013 20:58, KsTinMan wrote:
I am encouraged to hear that someone at Secunia is interested in our feedback. If I may, I'd like to mention a few items which I feel need to be addressed.

My suggestion would be to offer a full-featured application and another that requires minimum intervention. Good luck to you there, and thanks for listening!

That is what is presently available version(s) 2.x (and 1.x) is/are for the more intrepid user ,like yourself , and 3.x for the non-expert/lazy user ; despite much polemic on this Forum , Secunia's website fails totally to advise this situation . Fortunately Maurice Joyce has a (secure) link to the main versions still fully supported by Secunia in his signature (see any of his posts) .

I find that the ongoing problems with version 3.x are a source of concern for all users and I (personally) cannot recommend it . I use version 2.0.0.3003 .

Your very slow scanning with 3.x on your system seems unusual ; how long is 2.x taking??

If you have a programme which is not being detected by the PSI you can always recommend it to Secunia .

Be careful to check with the vendor that FileHippo is offering you the correct update for your system .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: Does anyone find PSI 3 better or easier to use than PSI 2.0?
Handling Contributor 10th Apr, 2013 00:17
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Anthony,
I have withdrawn my update post attached to my profile after Microsoft tweaked Skydrive which caused a bit of a display issue. I am doing a few more tests & will then reinstate it if all goes well.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 10th Apr, 2013 02:15
on 10th Apr, 2013 00:06, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi ,

Your very slow scanning with 3.x on your system seems unusual ; how long is 2.x taking??

Anthony

V 2.0 only takes seconds, perhaps one minute maximum. I will continue to use PSI 2.0 as I am pleased with its features and functionality.

Thank you for the update!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+