Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
JoeMo Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates
Member 12th Apr, 2013 04:52
Ranking: 2
User Since: 22nd Apr, 2011
System Score: N/A
I have been running PSI3 since last June with no problems. Today, following a Microsoft Update (Vista Home Premium) PSI3 turned Red with a tool tip that a program needs manual updating. On attempting to open PSI to see what required an update I got a pop-up with the message: Unable to retrieve PSI user ID from Secunia.
Please verify that you are able to connect to https://psi.secunia.com/ and then restart the PSI

I was able to connect to the URL in the message, but kept getting the same popup when attempting to restart PSI (closing the popup or clicking OK on the popup closes PSI).

I uninstalled PSI3, rebooted the computer, and reinstalled PSI3. No popup now, but PSI stalls at the Loading screen.

Uninstalled PSI3 and installed PSI2. Attempts to open PSI2 generate the popup again.

Any help in resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Post "RE: Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates" has been selected as an answer.
E.Jeppesen RE: Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates
Secunia Official 12th Apr, 2013 10:32
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Please follow this FAQ entry and report back if that should not fix the issue.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
JoeMo RE: Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates
Member 12th Apr, 2013 18:28
Score: 2
User Since: 22nd Apr 2011
on 12th Apr, 2013 10:32, E.Jeppesen wrote:
Please follow this FAQ entry and report back if that should not fix the issue.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
I have followed the instructions in the FAQ you provided a link to with no success. The setting for Scripting > Active Scripting was already set to Enable. I added https://*.secunia.com to the list of trusted sites. The only discrepancy I noted was for Administrative Tools > Services, "Secunia Update Agent" was not listed. "Secunia PSI Agent" was listed and its status was set to "Started" and its startup type was set to "Automatic".
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates
Expert Contributor 12th Apr, 2013 20:52
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@JoeMo
It might be worth reading thro' the following forum thread.....missing Update Agent gets a mention and a fix another user found......hope it helps........regards.......
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/139...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Apr, 2013 23:04
on 12th Apr, 2013 20:52, mogs wrote:
@JoeMo
It might be worth reading thro' the following forum thread.....missing Update Agent gets a mention and a fix another user found......hope it helps........regards.......
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/139...
Many thanks for your interest and the link.
First, I verified again that Secunia Update Agent doesn't appear in the Services. Then I attempted to use the cmd line cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI" - (my system is 32 bit) followed by "sua.exe -i -L" and received the message:
'"sua.exe -i -L"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

As for the apparent solution that n4vig4t0r posted concerning ATI Tray Tools, I have no idea whether those exist on my system or how to access them if they do. I get nothing when I enter ATI Tray Tools in my search box.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates
Handling Contributor 13th Apr, 2013 00:45
Score: 11721
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2013 01:03
I have just loaded PSI onto this PC - SECUNIA PSI AGENT is the only service present & is set at automatic & running.

PSI is working OK.

I have reproduced your original problem by changing the PC date & time which triggers the fault you described in your opening post.

Is your PC date & time accurate?

If trying to get it going using CMD it will not work from what you are entering.

This is the sequence:

Open cmdas an administrative user. In Vista and Windows 7, you can type cmd in the Start menu and then right-click the icon to launch with elevated privileges.

Copy & paste this command for a 32-bit system:

cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI"

or this command for a 64-bit system:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

then copy & paste this:
sua.exe -i -L

You should now see the result.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 13th Apr, 2013 02:37
Hello Maurice,
Using the information you provided for cmd I was able to run sua.exe -i -L and now both Secunia PSI Agent and Secunia Update Agent are present on the list of Services. Both show a status of "Started" and a startup type of "Automatic". However the original problem persists when I try to open PSI I get a popup with the message I provided in my original post. Clicking OK or closing the popup closes the PSI Loading screen.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2013 03:32
@JoeMo

Found the following thread which seems to address a very similar problem :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/129...

Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 13th Apr, 2013 04:34
on 13th Apr, 2013 03:32, mogs wrote:
@JoeMo

Found the following thread which seems to address a very similar problem :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/129...

Regards

Hello mogs,
Thanks again for your continuing help. I looked at the thread you posted with the following results:
1. My IE (IE8) is not set to Work Offline
2. From a reply by Maurice in that thread, I was led to look at HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Secunia. Interestingly, the Secunia folder appeared to be empty (no right-pointing triangle beside it to expand and right-click of folder produced a grayed out "Expand" on the menu).
3. I went to another computer successfully running PSI3 and exported the HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Secunia folder to a flash drive and then imported same to the registry on my computer. I can now see the expandable Secunia folder in the software section of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
4. I rebooted the computer, verified that the Secunia folder expanded to reveal a PSI sub-folder and then tried to open PSI from the notification tray, but I'm still getting the popup indicating that a PSI User ID can't be obtained (see my original post for the exact content of the popup message).

I tested a new registry cleaner several days ago and am guessing that it may have been over zealous in what it removed. I don't know if this is the problem as I have uninstalled and re-installed PSI several times since running that cleaner. Are there other places in the registry I can check to see if the proper items for Secunia are intact?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2013 10:14
@JoeMo

Didn't your registry cleaner create a system restore point before it's scanning ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be RE: Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates
Member 13th Apr, 2013 16:45
Score: 11
User Since: 10th Jul 2012
System Score: 97%
I'm going to tag oj here, as, so far (despite all the help you've provided, etc.,) I'm still unable to run PSI on my 32-bit computer. 3.x used to work, and before that, 2.x did, also.

This at least, at last, installed the second agent; this was the first time I saw that information:

then copy & paste this:
sua.exe -i -L

When that worked, I reinstalled version 2.x in place of 3.x. 2.x starts, but as far as I can determine, never even attempts to do anything, as the PSI screen's progress bar never shows any attempt to do anything. I even changed my default browser from IE to Firefox, which accomplished nothing.

To write that I am frustrated might be considered a mild understatement. Weeks ago, I got some attention directly from Secunia, in the form of asking me to submit a log file, which submission was acknowledged, only to be followed by nothing further.

Sigh.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Apr, 2013 19:46
on 13th Apr, 2013 10:14, mogs wrote:
@JoeMo

Didn't your registry cleaner create a system restore point before it's scanning ?

mogs,
Brilliant!! Yes, I created a restore point before running the cleaner, and YES after a restore PSI3 is now running fine. Can't thank you enough!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2013 22:59
@JoeMo

That's good news.....really glad you managed to resolve the issue. I use Vista as well...have used a scanner for a few years....Auslogics....but havn't had any problems at all. While I think of it......have you seen this cleaner (?)....it does wonders for Vista....much peppier as it says in the reviews...........http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/diskmax/ It's already monitored by Secunia.
If you do decide to give it a whirl....take time when configuring.....it almost makes my defragmenter and CCleaner obsolete....and is only 1.20MB !
Well...if you feel the issue now dealt with....you, as the originator of the thread, have the option to close it, by pressing Accept....that will prevent further tag-on posts and reminder e mails to your inbox...............Regards......mogs.

@Who Did I Used To Be

As you can see from the post above..JoeMo could close this thread at any time....you'd be much better advised to open/create your own.

Regards........mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be RE: Niether PSI3 or PSI2 will run after MS Updates
Member 13th Apr, 2013 23:26
Score: 11
User Since: 10th Jul 2012
System Score: 97%
mogs: I've had two, rather lengthy, threads about this, as well as email discussions with Secunia, none of which have had any effect. That is why I just tagged on to this thread, not expecting any results, just posting my information once again in the perhaps-forlorn hope that someone from Secunia will see my comments and take pity on me.

Therefore, I neither care if this thread is locked nor do I intend to start another, but I do appreciate your concern.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Apr, 2013 23:31
mogs,
Thanks again. I will take a look at the link to the cleaner you posted, and will mark this thread as closed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability