Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: For...Who Did I Used To Be

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
mogs For...Who Did I Used To Be
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2013 23:57
Ranking: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr, 2009
System Score: 100%
If I were in your predicament....I'd uninstall using Revo to check for left-over registry entries....particularly as you've changed versions a couple of times. I've found in the past that it can make for a cleaner install....tho' psi usually does a very good job of cleaning up after itself.
I think I'd stick with IE as default browser until after you've gotten psi up and running.....hopefully.
It sounds like some setting therein has gotten altered......obviously you've checked the FAQ's meticulously ? http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Have you checked your firewall permissions lately ? I've had the odd occasion: when having changed a psi version that the firewall permission has been negated.

--

Post "RE: For...Who Did I Used To Be" has been selected as an answer.
Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be RE: For...Who Did I Used To Be
Member 14th Apr, 2013 13:48
Score: 11
User Since: 10th Jul 2012
System Score: 97%
Last edited on 14th Apr, 2013 13:49
I did use Revo once, but I shall try it again; thanks for the suggestion.

I've also turned off Comodo firewall, to no avail; however, it now occurs to me that I did not try also turning off the Windows firewall, which is required for Home Group, so I'll try that yet again.

Yes, I've read and followed the instructions in the FAQSs several times.

Using IE is not feasible: The computer on which PSI will not run is my wife's, and while she has certainly learned a fair amount of on-line work recently, asking her to use IE would be most assuredly a bad thing, with, for example, none of the automated userIDs and passwords installed, leaving her in a state of distress.

Cuivis dolori remedium est patientia - Patience is the cure for all suffer, but if this problem continues I may become a patient.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: For...Who Did I Used To Be
Expert Contributor 14th Apr, 2013 14:14
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
So....under normal circumstances....you've got two firewalls running on the same machine ? Not a good thing as far as I'm concerned.....it can set up oppositions...the symptoms of which you could be experiencing, even when one or both are off.
Have you checked that your default browser is showing in the registry ? I've had instances when, Chrome is showing as default in settings; but IE has been in command in the registry.
When using Revo, I've always used it at the Advanced level.......it checks out more pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.

Thanks for the reply.....mogs..........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Apr, 2013 14:25
Yes, two firewalls, as Home Group requires the rather-feeble Windows Firewall. Other than the recent problems with PSI, I have had not a single problem with either computer running both firewalls for well over a year.

When learning how to set up Home Group, I found quite few threads on various sites recommending the use of both the required Windows Firewall plus a much better one such as Comodo.

As far as seeing that Firefox is set as the default in the Registry, yesterday, based on information in a thread here, I tried to find the Registry entry that was posted in that thread, and never found any such entrry. When I charged to IE in Control Panel, and clicked on a link in an email message, that link came up in IE instead of in Firefox, and when I reversed the setting in Control Panel, it came up in Firefox.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Apr, 2013 14:40
Last edited on 14th Apr, 2013 14:46
Obviously, the choice is yours as regards firewall.
As regards checking your default browser in the registry....the following item in the FAQ should be helpful.........http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
All I'm saying is that I've had a few instances when IE was taking over in the registry after having stipulated otherwise.....I got that I was checking it each time I booted up ! I found a little prog for setting...and since then it's remained constant.
Let's see what Revo finds....and hopes on a clean install. I use psi 2.0.0.3003....I've tried psi 3.0 a few times....missing Agent.....and I still prefer the additional info 2.0 gives.

Regards........mogs

Edit...... The Secunia PSI says "An error occurred while attempting to open the specified URL" when I click links. How can I solve this?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Apr, 2013 19:23
1. I found the Registry entry, which is set for Firefox; why I could not/did not find it yesterday was probably due to it being Saturday, when the Registry entry does not exist....

2. Removed PSI, reinstalled 2.0x, had to manually install Update Agent. With both Secunia services shown as running, and with both Firewalls turned off, PSI refuses to make any contract with the Internet. The moment that I start PSI 2.x on my 64-bit computer, the progress bar shows "Verifying Internet connection," but on the 32-bit computer, nothing whatsoever happens.

As I've written previously, both computers ran, for a while, with 3.x; now one runs only with 2.x, the other does nothing other than opening the splash screen.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Apr, 2013 20:53
And the 64bit is only connecting and running by virtue of the fact that both firewalls are turned off ? Even that is not an idyllic scenario ?
Your wife may prefer Firefox.....but I think you might be in with a better chance of resolving matters if you go back to IE as default in both instances.... check all settings....before installing psi.
The chances are, a setting's gone awry....something is working in opposition.
Ideally perhaps, IE default with Windows firewall when running psi......in the first instance ?

Only suggestions....I've got no experience of running a Home Group....in conjunction with Secunia......the way you are running it, seems self defeating.....
Firewall permissions should be the crux of the set up......I'd rather have Windows fully functional than no firewall and psi.
When you uninstalled....did you use Revo ? You didn't notice any anomalies at Advanced level ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Apr, 2013 20:53
Last edited on 14th Apr, 2013 20:57
Post deleted

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Apr, 2013 21:46
NO! On both computers, until recently, PSI was running quite well with both firewalls in use, with Firefox as the default browser. IE has not been the default, on either computer for many years, since the earliest days of what became Firefox.I have never installed nor run PSI of any version using IE as my default browser.

I doubt that Home Group has anything to do with this either, as it has been in use for well over a year on both computers, and again, without any problems with PSI until recently. Home Group,and PSI, and two firewalls have worked together harmoniously, not opposition, nor in a self-defeating manner, until recently. My system, of two computers, two printers, and even my DVD player, all work together using WiFi on my router--and my new smartphone (my first) works fine using the same WiFi system.

As for removing PSI on the 32-bit machine earlier today, I actually used Total Uninstall; i have a paid version on the 64-bit; I downloaded and ran it this morning on the 32-bit. I did use the free version of Revo a few weeks ago to remove PSI on the 32-bit, which accomplished nothing.

I've run tests, I've submitted files to Secunia; judging from the lack of any follow-up from them, I don't think that they know what the problem(s) is/are.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Apr, 2013 23:01
Tho' neither IE is default...are they the same version ?
Tho' you've got Firefox as default......you've made certain of the following from the FAQ ?
Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow "https://*.secunia.com" as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.
As you know...IE is an integral component of Windows....and even tho' psi will use the default browser of your choosing.....it still requires configuring with Internet Explorer.
Might you have overlooked doing so on the 32bit....sometimes a setting gets thrown with the change of a prog/version.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Apr, 2013 23:31
IE 8 on the 32-bit, IE 9 on the 64-bit.

Until recently, on this forum, I never knew that one had to make changes to IE for PSI, which I had never done on the 64-bit, yet PSI 2.x runs fine (and 3.x did for a while.) I:'m not sure if I changed IE 9, but even if I did, PSI worked fine without such changes.

Having read about this need here, I did make the changes to IE 8, which had no effect.

As for Comodo, given that, until recently, PSI worked fine with the same release of Comodo on both computers, I don't think it has anything to do with the problem. It could, of course, but this seems to me to be unlikely.

Trying to reconstruct the time line:

On the 64-bit, I believe that the first two releases of 3.x worked, and it was the third update that fouled something up and caused PSI to stop working. When I reverted to 2.x, all was well.

I'm less certain about the 32-bit: I do know that 2.x worked for a few years, as it was my computer (or, more accurately, our only one.) I believe, but am less certain, that PSI 3.x, perhaps at least the first release, worked on this machine.

Thanks for staying with me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Apr, 2013 23:39
Can you upgrade the IE8 to IE9 and make certain it is configured for psi ?

Is it the same OS in both instances ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Apr, 2013 01:10
That was certainly one of the oddest experiences I've had since buying my first PC in 1983:

1. I installed IE 9 successfully.

2. Before making any changes to IE 9, I decided to open PSI, just to see if anything had changed.

3.To my great surprise, it opened immediately, and showed that I had two programs that needed to be updated. No contacting the Internet, no scanning of the computer, just opening and showing the two files.

4. Truly puzzled, I tried to figure out how this could have happened.To my complete surprise, I saw that PSI had done a complete scan at 10:43 today!

Apparently, PSI 2.x has been working, but could not show anything on the screen other than the splash screen. Definitely odd,.

Please find enclosed two pints of best bitter, as my sincere thank-you.

Was this reply relevant?
+6
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2013 10:53
Really glad that you are now up and running.....Regards.....mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+